Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax 09:12 - May 28 with 8428 viewsFree_Willy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businesslatestnews/9668396/Margaret-Hodges-fa

I know it's quite old, but in a sane world she would be hanged.
Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 22:32 - May 28 with 1465 viewsItchySphincter

Yes, that's why I said read it again, I edited see.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 00:50 - May 29 with 1428 viewsGlyn1

Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 18:12 - May 28 by dgt73

As I said on another thread, you complain about ticket prices which is governed by the free market and supply and demand, yet you think George Osborne is fantastic and think the Tories are the best option. What do the Tories think about the free market and supply and demand.

You're confusing the free market to mean "unregulated markets" which is a completely different thing. 200 years ago Adam Smith showed how all industries end up as monopolies or near monopolies* unless the govt acts to prevent it, and he's one of the Tories' favourite philosophers. You can argue how much or how little an industry should be regulated, but I don't know anyone who says that there shouldn't be any regulation at all. So you certainly can be a Conservative and believe that ticket prices should be regulated, that isn't a contradiction.

* For example in an unregulated market the 20 PL clubs might collude to prevent any of the 72 other clubs replacing them .
[Post edited 29 May 2014 0:53]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 10:45 - May 29 with 1370 viewscontroversial_jack

Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 00:50 - May 29 by Glyn1

You're confusing the free market to mean "unregulated markets" which is a completely different thing. 200 years ago Adam Smith showed how all industries end up as monopolies or near monopolies* unless the govt acts to prevent it, and he's one of the Tories' favourite philosophers. You can argue how much or how little an industry should be regulated, but I don't know anyone who says that there shouldn't be any regulation at all. So you certainly can be a Conservative and believe that ticket prices should be regulated, that isn't a contradiction.

* For example in an unregulated market the 20 PL clubs might collude to prevent any of the 72 other clubs replacing them .
[Post edited 29 May 2014 0:53]

That would be termed a "Cartel" and is illegal.
Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 10:47 - May 29 with 1369 viewscontroversial_jack

Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 20:24 - May 28 by Catullus

I find myself agreeing with dyss here, prices throughout the Premier are too high!

But as long as people pay them, they'll stay high.

Exactly! Prices are set at whatever the consumer will pay
Labour MP's £2.1b family business pays 0.01% Tax on 14:41 - May 29 with 1351 viewsGlyn1

But wouldn't be illegal if there weren't any laws, i.e. if it were a totally free market.

How many of the following would you say is illegal?

You're much the biggest supplier in an industry making curly wurly widgets (or whatever) but a new competitor has just started up and is selling CWWs that are much better.

Can you sell your CWWs for well below cost price to bankrupt him even it means a temporary drop in profits (i.e. a 'price war'), so you can put up your prices later?

Warn people that you will refuse to sell to anyone who buys CWWs from your competitor, because you know that he doesn't have the capacity to supply everyone. If anyone buys from him and he then goes out of business they will be at the back of the queue when buying from you.

Offer long-term cheap contracts to buyers that your competitor can't match.

I think that we're agreeing that "free markets" need laws, it isn't just a case of leaving it to supply and demand.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024