Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Europe: In or Out 22:55 - Feb 21 with 1580 viewsmfb_cufc

I know there is still four months to the vote, but let me get the ball rolling, by saying whatever happens between now and the vote, I will be voting to come OUT.
Why? Because we need to get control of our borders back, and get back to having our laws set by Westminster, and not by Brussels.
Also I think Cameron scored an own goal with his pathetic deal. All it did was to highlight that Brussels are deciding how long migrants must wait for welfare payments at the moment. The deal that means we will decide in future, should already be happening now. I don't think that point will be a deciding factor on how people vote anyway.

mfb

Europe: In or Out on 23:33 - Feb 21 with 1576 viewsburnsieespana

Will be voting in. Have since the mid 60's when I first campaigned for us to join and have always thought the EU the best place to be for trade and overall security. Naive to think the EU contries would make it easy for us to have access to the market if we vote to come out. Control of borders is a smoke screen as we have that anyway. Without the Poles, etc the UK would have stagnated as not enough people to perform all the roles they do. Ibe example, how do you think Hotels would manage to make the beds?
Europe: In or Out on 04:45 - Feb 22 with 1560 viewsBarsidepete

I think the Prem deserves 3 not 4 in the CL.

Off topic,..

England out. England and the US of A ... UK/England/ Canada/the States... fek the rest/ Ozzies and NewZ/ ... England, USA, Canada, Oz, NZ,.. Wales, Ireland if they wanna. Scotland? go on then.

India if they wish to be part of it.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Europe: In or Out on 08:25 - Feb 22 with 1546 viewsnoah4x4

In - out - in - out
Shake it all about
Undecided....
Europe: In or Out on 09:48 - Feb 22 with 1536 viewsdurham_exile

An interesting and topical thread.

In 1973 I went to see the 3 versus the 6 Common Market Football Match at Wembley and the three won 2-0.

In 1975 I voted for GB to become a part of the European Community in the referendum.

Today I am undecided, but will definitely vote on June 23rd. I just have to decide which way!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Europe: In or Out on 11:37 - Feb 22 with 1529 viewsAFCMorant

For all its faults I'll be voting in. I couldn't bear to be associated with the hateful little Englanders and quasi racists of UKIP and the Daily Mail.
Europe: In or Out on 12:22 - Feb 22 with 1522 viewsFruitbat

Europe: In or Out on 11:37 - Feb 22 by AFCMorant

For all its faults I'll be voting in. I couldn't bear to be associated with the hateful little Englanders and quasi racists of UKIP and the Daily Mail.

Ditto that. Plus Patel wants me to vote out and my default position is to disagree with anything she says on principle.
Europe: In or Out on 13:16 - Feb 22 with 1515 viewsLeadbelly

I would have voted to stay in anyway but the fact the opportunistic Boris has eventually attached himself to the out campaign validates my decision. Prepare for 4 months of campaigning that's really about who is the best leader of the Conservative party. Yawn.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Europe: In or Out on 13:40 - Feb 22 with 1499 viewspwrightsknees

Please note, AFC, I am not a "Little Englander", nor am I a racist (quasi or otherwise), nor do I read the Daily Mail. It is, however, symptomatic of the issue, that, for the last 40+ years, pro-Europeans have often reverted to name calling in the absence of sensible debate.
Login to get fewer ads

Europe: In or Out on 13:59 - Feb 22 with 1492 viewsTropical_Us

I'll second that.
Europe: In or Out on 14:39 - Feb 22 with 1488 viewscarruthers

As a little Englander and a racist Mail reader I am voting OUT
Europe: In or Out on 15:53 - Feb 22 with 1475 viewsmrhappy

Either way - uk aint the same- a mixed bag of madness !

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Europe: In or Out on 17:03 - Feb 22 with 1462 viewsdurham_exile

Europe: In or Out on 09:48 - Feb 22 by durham_exile

An interesting and topical thread.

In 1973 I went to see the 3 versus the 6 Common Market Football Match at Wembley and the three won 2-0.

In 1975 I voted for GB to become a part of the European Community in the referendum.

Today I am undecided, but will definitely vote on June 23rd. I just have to decide which way!

Up the U's

This debate has already sparked interesting debate on the board.

I have now looked up the results of the 1975 referendum and they are as follows:

United Kingdom European Community (Common Market) Membership Referendum 1975

Choice Votes %
Referendum passed

Yes 17,378,851 67.2
No 8,470,073 32.8
Valid votes 25,848,654 99.79
Invalid or blank votes 54,540 0.59
Total votes 25,903,194 100.00

June 23rd is not such a long way off!
[Post edited 22 Feb 2016 17:04]

Durham_exile

Europe: In or Out on 20:25 - Feb 22 with 1429 viewsbwildered

Will sum up this season perfectly down and out .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Europe: In or Out on 20:45 - Feb 22 with 1419 viewsBarsidepete

But seriously,...

I think the UK and the USA have a good thing going. And Canada. And Mexico, kind of. And New Zealand and Australia. South Africa. India.

You nudge France hard enough they'll leave. They gave the states the frickin Statue of Liberty.

England?

Out. It takes me as long to fly to San Francisco as London from WDC. I think the UK should depart the EU.

Europe: In or Out on 21:51 - Feb 22 with 1410 viewsgerry_us

Europe: In or Out on 20:45 - Feb 22 by Barsidepete

But seriously,...

I think the UK and the USA have a good thing going. And Canada. And Mexico, kind of. And New Zealand and Australia. South Africa. India.

You nudge France hard enough they'll leave. They gave the states the frickin Statue of Liberty.

England?

Out. It takes me as long to fly to San Francisco as London from WDC. I think the UK should depart the EU.

For those of you outside of the UK, membership of the EEC is our problem.
I would have thought you have enough to worry about with the possibility of Donald Trump becoming US president.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Europe: In or Out on 22:04 - Feb 22 with 1401 viewsBarsidepete

Europe: In or Out on 21:51 - Feb 22 by gerry_us

I would have thought you have enough to worry about with the possibility of Donald Trump becoming US president.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

It is worrisome, this Trump clown. He reminds me of some neo version of Hitler.

That's all I want to add.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2016 22:07]

Europe: In or Out on 15:13 - Feb 23 with 1362 viewsburnsieespana

Europe: In or Out on 21:51 - Feb 22 by gerry_us

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

If I am reading your post correctly gerry it is not strictly true as something like 2m Brits live in the EU and nobody knows what will happen if the vote is to leave.
My guess is aprox 60% of the 2m will be eligible to vote and frankly I cannot comprehend how anybody living in the EU could even consider voting "out".
Let us say 75% of those who vote, living in the EU, vote to stay in the EU this will have a very significant effect upon the result and something I somehow doubt the pollsters will have built into the result forecasting modelling they do!
Europe: In or Out on 16:36 - Feb 23 with 1352 viewsTheOldOakTree

Europe: In or Out on 15:13 - Feb 23 by burnsieespana

If I am reading your post correctly gerry it is not strictly true as something like 2m Brits live in the EU and nobody knows what will happen if the vote is to leave.
My guess is aprox 60% of the 2m will be eligible to vote and frankly I cannot comprehend how anybody living in the EU could even consider voting "out".
Let us say 75% of those who vote, living in the EU, vote to stay in the EU this will have a very significant effect upon the result and something I somehow doubt the pollsters will have built into the result forecasting modelling they do!

I think you are right. In addition to the 2M you speak of, many of them retired, they will also have children back home, who will also vote 'IN' to make sure mum and dad are OK and to safeguard their inheritance, then there is probably another 1M at least who have desires to retire to somewhere warmer in the EU when they get a little older. I think that is enough to tip the balance.

I assume Johnny Foreigner who has been here for more than 2 weeks will also have a vote, providing he/she has paid £5 in tax and claimed £10 in child benefits, so the 'INs' are home and dry.

I think many people like the idea of Britain standing on it's own, which I'm sure it could, but when it comes to the vote, I think their head will rule their heart.

One thing for sure 99% of the arguments we will hear are complete bollox as nobody can be sure and to suggest that the EU won't trade with us, when our roads are full of Audis, BMWs, Mercs, VWs, Renaults, Citroens, Peugeots, Seats etc and our kitchens are full of Bosch, Siemens etc is ridiculous, as they have far more to lose than we have.

I can be as tribal as the next man, but it always makes me laugh when those than moan about the hoards of immigrants, are the first in the queue to get their car washed by a bunch of East Europeans. They moan about the immigrants taking NHS spaces, but don't want to see that half the nurses are from Poland and without them we would be stuffed.

It's easy for all of us to be trappy down the pub about our ideology, but in the voting booth a little more caution may kick in. That's why the 'IN' will win in my opinion.

As for me the official line is 'Rule Britannia' as I wave the St.George, but as I've a place in France and retirement is ever closer and I'm a fully paid up hypocrite, so bollox to the rest of you, it's look after number one.

It's just a shame that we cannot have the EU without the inevitable path to the United States of Germany. How many times do they need telling?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2016 16:55]
Europe: In or Out on 16:53 - Feb 23 with 1339 viewsTheOldOakTree

Europe: In or Out on 22:04 - Feb 22 by Barsidepete

It is worrisome, this Trump clown. He reminds me of some neo version of Hitler.

That's all I want to add.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2016 22:07]

It always amazes me that a country as big as the US can't find better candidates when it comes to an election.
Europe: In or Out on 19:19 - Feb 23 with 1319 viewswessex_exile

Interesting stuff chaps - I will vote "In" without a doubt. Speaking personally, and this may ruffle some feathers, I can't abide this referendum stuff - any of it - we vote for a government at the ballot box to make these decisions, so they should earn their salary (and expenses) and bloody make them.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Europe: In or Out on 19:54 - Feb 23 with 1309 viewsLeadbelly

Read the Evening Standard tonight. Boris is taking a bit of a bashing for wanting to leave the EU. Being Mayor of London, which includes the City of London last time I checked, one would assume he would want to ensure the financial centre of Europe stays where it is...unless he has a personal agenda of course.

Europe: In or Out on 20:57 - Feb 25 with 1248 viewsnoah4x4

From undecided; I think I am leaning towards 'In'.

I suspect that as regards immigration, border controls and welfare benefits Cameron has probably secured what most greater Britains want. France and Germany have also had enough of economic migrants from outside of the EU; so will be sympathetic. Then most Eastern Europeans I know are truly hard working; and pay taxes; and don't take benefits; so positively contribute to the economy. Europe has the capacity to resolve any negative issues amongst its members.

Then OK, some EU legislation (like the bend of a banana) is bonkers, but most provide a legal framework that doesn't have to be renegotiated with every new export/import business contract. I fear that setting up thousands of new agreements simply makes money for the lawyers and frustrates importers and exporters.

I also fear that City institutions might head for Frankfurt if London is no longer the engine house of wider European commerce. That might cost jobs and wreck havoc with the £pound and investment funds (hence pensions). Mind you, the new collaboration between the UK and German Stock Market management operations might ease that concern.

Defence is also a concern when our ONLY aircraft carrier is borrowed from France. OK NATO will still exist, but I can't help thinking that the break up of Europe might be a plot by Putin and Russia. or have I watched too many episodes of Deutschland 83?
Europe: In or Out on 21:55 - Feb 25 with 1241 viewsBarsidepete

Europe: In or Out on 16:53 - Feb 23 by TheOldOakTree

It always amazes me that a country as big as the US can't find better candidates when it comes to an election.

Trump is no enemy of England/the U.K.

He says things in a politically incorrect and unfiltered way. He just won the Nevada caucuses by a landslide.

What we call Super Tuesday happens on 1 March. 11 states vote for their Republican candidate and that will make the landscape clearer.

Many of us Democrats cringe when we hear how abrasive his speeches are. But many in Europe feel exactly as he does.

News as it develops.

Europe: In or Out on 23:00 - Feb 25 with 1228 viewsLeadbelly

Europe: In or Out on 21:55 - Feb 25 by Barsidepete

Trump is no enemy of England/the U.K.

He says things in a politically incorrect and unfiltered way. He just won the Nevada caucuses by a landslide.

What we call Super Tuesday happens on 1 March. 11 states vote for their Republican candidate and that will make the landscape clearer.

Many of us Democrats cringe when we hear how abrasive his speeches are. But many in Europe feel exactly as he does.

News as it develops.

And many of us don't feel exactly as he does. I do like his idea of building a wall although I'd build it around Trump rather on the border with Mexico...and soundproof it.

Europe: In or Out on 04:42 - Feb 26 with 1218 viewsBarsidepete

Europe: In or Out on 23:00 - Feb 25 by Leadbelly

And many of us don't feel exactly as he does. I do like his idea of building a wall although I'd build it around Trump rather on the border with Mexico...and soundproof it.

I was with a Tejana (Texas Latina) for two years, then married another Latina. From San Anan-tone (San Antonio) ...

Mainly, Trump wants no muslims in America unless well vetted. Latinos? we'll sort that.

And go through proper procedures, then the US of A will let you in.

No overseas migrants unless screened.No migrants in the USA. That's what England/the U.K. is saying. I'm a Democrat and don't want them here.

No. Apologies.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024