Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 22:29 - Mar 10 with 1341 viewswessex_exile

Tonight's fixtures have finished as follows:
Leipzig 3 Spurs 0 (sorry Daniel) - Leipzig ease through to the next round with a comfortable home win to back up their 1-0 win away at Spurs.
Valencia 3 Atalanta 4 - although closer than some might have expected, Atalanta likewise have no problems progressing through at the expense of a spirited performance by Valencia.

A few points scored here and there, but not surprisingly no 3pt spot-ons. Best performance is basher2010 with two outcomes. A full update will follow tomorrow night's game, with a reminder that sevebalo can still post his predictions for the remaining fixtures in time.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 22:50 - Mar 11 with 1311 viewswessex_exile

Week 03 tables will be up tomorrow, but just a reminder that the score that counts for Liverpool is 1-0 at the end of normal time.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 21:36 - Mar 12 with 1280 viewswessex_exile

As promised, here's the update at the end of Week 03 of the U'sual Champions League.

This week has finished with the following two results:
Paris 2 Dortmund 0 - PSG come back from losing 2-1 away to clinch their place in the next round with a 2-0 home victory over Dortmund.
Liverpool 1 Atletico Madrid 0 - At the end of normal time, Liverpool win 1-0 at home to Atletico Madrid, which for our purposes is the score that counts. In extra-time, although Firmino scored a second for Liverpool to take control of the tie, and imminent passage into the next round, three subsequent goals from Llorente (x2) and Morata put paid to that, with Atletico Madrid winning 3-2 on the night, and 4-2 on aggregate.

Group A

BFG went into Week 03 with a commanding lead, and has benefited from getting outcomes from both of last nights games, to stay top on 12pts. However, noah and mfb do extremely well with not only a spot-on each (PSG v Dortmund and Liverpool's result respectively), but another brace of outcomes as well, to really close the gap - both on 10pts.

Group B

Well this is incongruous - although sevebalo is still a no-show for the second legs, thanks to his performance in Weeks 01 and 02, he is still top of the table on 8pts. Sector4 closes the gap considerably, getting both of last nights matches correct as outcomes, and Lewis does no harm to his chances either, with three of the four second legs so far correct as outcomes. I wonder if sevebalo's luck can hold out if he doesn't post anything for Week 04.

Group C

Thrillseeker stays top of the table on 10pts, correctly predicting Leipzig and PSG's victories. However, closing the gap on 9pts is blueeagle, with not only the PSG victory spot-on, but outcomes for Leipzig and Liverpool. Daniel does his chances of qualification no harm at all, with three out of the four Week 03 outcomes correct, to finish on 6pts.

Group D

Despite basher top-scoring with both outcomes for Tuesday's fixtures, and also picking up Liverpool's home 'win' last night, to finish on 9pts, it's not quite enough for top spot. That honour goes to concordman, with both of last night's outcomes to stay top, also on 9ts, and with two spot-on results in the bag. Blue4U2 does well to keep in touch, with three out of four of Week 04's outcomes, but with only 4pts still has a mountain to climb for qualification.

Should it be needed, a reminder that the tie-break question will be predicting the attendance of the next U's match after Week 04. As things stand, this will be Newport v U's on 21/3/2020 - coronavirus permitting.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 21:39]

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 22:24 - Mar 12 with 1269 viewsnoah4x4

In the event of a tie break needed, my prediction is 4,580.
U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 15:50 - Mar 13 with 1242 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 22:24 - Mar 12 by noah4x4

In the event of a tie break needed, my prediction is 4,580.

As neither the Newport v U's match nor the remaining fixtures for the Champions League will be happening any day soon, I suspect I won't be needing this now noah - looked a bit high anyway if you ask me

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 19:06 - Mar 13 with 1234 viewswessex_exile

For all competitors - I will await developments before deciding how to proceed, or indeed whether there is any potential to proceed at all.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 08:49 - Jul 2 with 997 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 19:06 - Mar 13 by wessex_exile

For all competitors - I will await developments before deciding how to proceed, or indeed whether there is any potential to proceed at all.

We now have confirmation that the final two legs of the Round of 16 will take place on 7th and 8th August, with the Quarter-finals started shortly after on 12th August. Obviously these will be behind closed doors, so guess the attendance in case of a tie-break being needed would be fairly pointless. I’ll have a think and get back to you all on that one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53082304

Incidentally Sevebalo, still time for your second leg predictions

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 18:53 - Aug 3 with 930 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 08:49 - Jul 2 by wessex_exile

We now have confirmation that the final two legs of the Round of 16 will take place on 7th and 8th August, with the Quarter-finals started shortly after on 12th August. Obviously these will be behind closed doors, so guess the attendance in case of a tie-break being needed would be fairly pointless. I’ll have a think and get back to you all on that one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53082304

Incidentally Sevebalo, still time for your second leg predictions

Another bump ahead of Friday. We now also know that the quarterfinals will be one-off matches, not played over 2 legs, as will the semi-finals. I will also have a think about whether this requires a rethink on required predictions - hopefully not, but I'll get back to you all on that.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 20:11 - Aug 3 with 926 viewsBFG

Can I just check where myself, Sevebalo, Lewis_1 and basher are up to in this please! Sorry I could trawl though.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 20:11]
Login to get fewer ads

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 10:07 - Aug 4 with 907 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 20:11 - Aug 3 by BFG

Can I just check where myself, Sevebalo, Lewis_1 and basher are up to in this please! Sorry I could trawl though.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 20:11]

No problem BFG

So, in order, with four matches to go, you’re top of Group A with noah and mfb close behind. However, they’ll both have to overtake you to prevent you from qualifying. Sevebalo, remarkably, is still top of Group B by 1 point, but he’s yet to make any second leg predictions. Coincidentally, Lewis_1 is 3 points behind sevebalo in Group B, so still got a lot to do to qualify even if sevebalo remains a no-show. Basher is 2nd in Group D, level on points with leader concordman, but with one less spot-on. Both are 5 points ahead of Blue4U2, and must be confident of qualification.

So, firstly, even though the actual quarter-finals are going to be one-off matches instead of 2-legged affairs, I’ll stick with the original format, splitting the top two qualifiers from each group into two mini-leagues of four.

TIE BREAKS
Tie breaks will be decided on number of spot-ons. If players can’t be separated that way, it will be highest scores for the last four yet to be played matches. If players still can’t be separated, I’ll just have to draw from a hat I’m afraid.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 14:29 - Aug 4 with 897 viewssevebalo

Hehe, feel a bit sheepish - if this were the League I would have been thrown out!

Juv vs Lyon - 2-0
Man City vs RM - 1-0
Bar vs Nap - 1-1
BM vs Chelsea - 3-1
U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 19:59 - Aug 4 with 886 viewsBFG

Thank you Wessex for the heads-up, I think with a little prodding we now have a full compliment of the aforementioned :)
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 20:00]
U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 00:58 - Aug 5 with 873 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 14:29 - Aug 4 by sevebalo

Hehe, feel a bit sheepish - if this were the League I would have been thrown out!

Juv vs Lyon - 2-0
Man City vs RM - 1-0
Bar vs Nap - 1-1
BM vs Chelsea - 3-1

LOL - the rules were clear, deadline for any match is kick-off, so whilst it could be suggested you’ve benefitted from Covid-19 lockdown, you’re still good. I haven’t had a chance to put your predictions in to the database, but all looks okay.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 19:15 - Aug 5 with 863 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 00:58 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

LOL - the rules were clear, deadline for any match is kick-off, so whilst it could be suggested you’ve benefitted from Covid-19 lockdown, you’re still good. I haven’t had a chance to put your predictions in to the database, but all looks okay.

Yep, definitely okay - one permitted exact match with Sector4, but no problem with that.

Okay, for everyone who qualifies, the quarter-finals are going to be challenging, and with only four matches to predict I have a feeling that scoring is going to be very very close. We already know two of the four quarter-finals are Atalanta v PSG and Leipzig v Atletico Madrid on Wednesday 12th and Thursday 13th next week. The teams competing in the other two matches, to be played on Friday 14th and Saturday 15th, will be known this weekend once the last four Round of 16 matches are completed.

As a result, I suspect tie-breaks will be needed, and we have no more matches to predict attendances for (and they'd all be zero anyway). Number of spot-ons will of course be the first measure, but after that, the fairest way I can think of is for all quarter-finalists to also predict the minute of the first substitution in the last match on Sat 15th August. There'll be no points for this, it'll just be used if a tie-break is required. Nearest the actual minute (as recorded by BBC Sport) will win, whether higher or lower, and should there be no substitutions at all, the closest to zero will count. Incidentally, I believe that traditionally half-time substitutions are registered as 46 minutes, and injury-time minutes will not count (e.g. 45+3 minutes will be 45 minutes). Finally, and as always, all predictions will be for normal time only - extra-time and/or penalties will not count.

I'll repeat the above in a new thread, once we know who our eight qualifiers are - good luck everyone!

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 12:16 - Aug 8 with 826 viewswessex_exile

Last night's results were as follows:
Juventus 2 Lyon 1 (2-2 on aggregate, Lyon through on away goals)
Man City 2 Real Madrid 1 (Man City through 4-2 on aggregate)

There was some significant scoring in the U'sual Champions League, so I'll do an interim update ahead of the final two matches tonight.

Group A

Everything is still as tight as ever in the Group of Death. Noah gives his chance of qualification a tremendous boost getting the Man City result spot-on and the outcome for the Juventus Lyon match, to ease into top spot ahead of BFG, and at the same time now matching BFG's 3 spot-on results. However, BFG is only one point behind noah4x4, also with the Juventus Lyon outcome, whilst mfb_cufc keeps them both on their toes with both outcomes to move within one point of BFG. Two points separate top from bottom, so everything to play for tonight.

Group B

So what do I know - four days ago I said "Lewis_1 is 3 points behind sevebalo in Group B, so still got a lot to do to qualify", and what does he go and do - get both results spot-on for a massive six points, and storms to the top of the group. Late arrival sevebalo finally relinquished top spot, but keeps in contention with the correct outcomes for both matches. However, Sector 4 stays in touch, two points behind sevebalo with the universally-predicted Juventus home win.

Group C

Another stunning result, with thrillseeker also getting both results spot-on last night, to take an unassailable six point lead at the top of Group C. With the Juventus home win, blueeagle stays second, and whilst he can't now catch thrillseeker, Daniel in third place (also with the Juventus outcome) can catch him, so still plenty to play for.

Group D

Concordman does very well with the Man City home win spot-on, along with the obligatory Juventus outcome, to move 2pts ahead at the top of the group. Basher2010 gets both outcomes to keep the race for top spot alive. Blue4U2 collects a point for the Juventus outcome, but can no longer catch the leading two, and is playing for pride now.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Round of 16 Week 03 on 12:33 - Aug 9 with 793 viewswessex_exile

...and so the dust settles on the post-hiatus conclusion of the Round of 16, with the final two results as follows:
Barcelona 3 Napoli 1 (Barca comfortably through 4-2 on aggregate)
Bayern Munich 4 Chelsea 1 (Bayern Munich even more comfortably through a whopping 7-1 on aggregate)

Pretty much everyone had those two as home wins, but the ebb and flow as goals went in was intriguing to follow, and at any one point the following group positions were significantly altered.

Group A

As befits a group that contained three leviathans of the U'sual prediction leagues (between them winning five of the nine Champions League competitions to date), this was a truly epic battle. Ultimately, all three finished with correct outcomes for last nights games, but with a storming performance throughout all of the second leg matches noah4x4 wins the group with 16 points. BFG finished second with 15 points, seeing off a spirited challenge from mfb_cufc, who also scored well throughout the second legs, but finished just one point short on 14 points.

Group B

Lewis_1, picking up 8 points in the last four matches, came from last to finish top on 13 points. Sevebalo was courageous, and was the only competitor to gamble on the Barcelona Napoli match to be a draw, and although it didn't work out, he just held on to second place with 11 points. Sector4 couldn't quite catch sevebalo, and finished one point outside qualification on 10 points.

Group C

This group was dominated from start to finish by thrillseeker, who completed the round with yet another spot-on result to win the group comfortably with a whopping 20 points (and no less than five spot-ons). In the current competition format since 2012, that score equals the highest point tally achieved in the Round of 16, previously set by EthicsGirl in 2014 and 2017. Blueeagle finished second with 12 points, holding off the late challenge of Daniel who finished 3 points short of qualification.

Group D

This one was a little bit more of a formality, just really needing to discover who would finish top of the group. Eventually, that honour went to concordman with 15 points and three spot-ons. Basher2010 gave it a great go though, finishing last night with the Barca home win spot-on, to also finish on 15 points, but with only two spot-on results he finishes second on the tie-break. Blue4U2 battled on determinedly to finish with 7 points, but must curse his luck for ending up in a group with two competitors in such fine form.

Congratulations to all the qualifiers, and commiserations to those who go no further in the competition. I will start a new thread for the quarter-final predictions, which given there are only four matches, will include additional requirements to make more points available, so please avoid the temptation to post any predictions until the new thread is started.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 14:42]

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024