Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's 20:29 - Oct 23 with 1708 viewsdurham_exile

After a much-needed victory against FGR on Tuesday night, SB and his charges prepare to welcome newcomers Harrogate Town to the JSCS for our first-ever meeting against the North Yorkshire club.

Known as the Town or the Sulphurites after the Sulphur springs in the Town, Harrogate were formed in 1914 and have recently been playing on an artificial pitch. Whilst this is being converted to grass, they are sharing Donny Rovers’ ground for their home games.

Managed by Simon Weaver and with dangerous striker Jack Muldoon in their ranks they currently lie fourth in the table.

Cambridge 7 16
Newport 7 16
Cheltenham 7 15
Harrogate 7 14
Carlisle 7 13
Morecambe 7 13
Salford 7 12
FGR 7 12
Exeter 7 12
Walsall 7 11
COL U 7 10

The good news for Colchester is that Ben Stevenson is fit and should return on Saturday for this important game.

The team that should be selected to start is as follows 4,3,1,2:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Stevenson Chilvers

Brown

Norris Bohui

Subs:

George Sowunmi Senior Scarlett Harriott Marshall Miranda Gambin

Reasoning:

The back four picks itself and Welch-Hayes gets the nod over Scarlett.
Midfield the top three players are Pell, Stevenson and Chilvers.

Jevani Brown plays in the traditional 10 position behind Chuck Norris and the skilful Josh Bohui. That is without doubt the best team, and it combines youth with experience plus pace and good wing play from Bohui.

SB then has options from the bench for Gambin, Harriott and Senior if required or Sowunmi, who looked impressive when he came on late on Tuesday night.

SB needs to be bold and play this XI; they have the ability to take the game to Harrogate and more importantly win to move us up the league table.

Sadly though, SB will not start Bohui and will persevere with Senior and Harriott or Gambin. This would be a mistake. The team only needs one such winger and instead Pell, Stevenson and Chilvers offer the correct balance of midfield guile and distribution. Jevani Brown has proven that he is the perfect 10 replacement for Szmodics. Josh Bohui deserves the full 90 minutes and not the “Macca Bonne” 8 or so minutes at the end of the game. Norris is either fit or not and he has shown that not only is he a scorer of key goals but also his ability to hold the ball up is useful when we are on the attack.

Now after Tuesday opinion was divided about tactics and some thought that SB had got things about right. The truth is that we were fortunate to get away with the victory after FGR squandered chances and we were prepared to sit deeper and deeper as the game wore on.

Clearly no one has a divine right to simply turn up and win a game of football, but tactically we need to play to our strengths, and we are a stronger team when attacking than opting for last ditch defending. League Two teams that desire to get promoted would do well to offer direct football, playing to their strengths and building pressure rather than playing a single striker at home and as we showed on Tuesday night when he does receive the ball on the half way line there is no support and invariably he must hold the ball awaiting players to offer vital assistance.

Jevani Brown started the season in great form and recently SB has been playing him in midfield or deeper. Result his early season sparkle has been taken away and he is confused. His greatest strength is trickery in and around the box, not on the half way line.

Instead with Pell and Stevenson distributing the ball from midfield and the willing Brown and Bohui able to use their pace and skill to provide the redoubtable Norris with the service he requires, we can secure the goals that will win the game tomorrow.

The weather is going to be mild with 16 degrees Celsius and light rain. The pitch should be fine and in excellent condition.

Prediction 3-1 to the Super U’s

Whether you are watching or listening via iPlayer enjoy the game.

Up the U’s.

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 07:06 - Oct 24 with 832 viewsMoor_Pinot

Good analysis as usual Durham. We were lucky on Tuesday and may have to accept less luck today. Thus we should endeavour to play in such a way as to be able to avoid the need for fortune. Goals are the key to that and I like the XI you choose though I'd have Poku on the bench rather than senior who isn't a team man. Wessex may be right though, Ball is concerned defensively and I concur. Smith is not Prosser, Tom's form is indifferent, welch-hayes is a lad learning and Bramhall is a left half not a left back. In midfield Pell, who is more a motivator and nuisance to the opposition rather than a good footballer needs to improve because there are a few options for us there.

Moor Pinot

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 10:19 - Oct 24 with 816 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 07:06 - Oct 24 by Moor_Pinot

Good analysis as usual Durham. We were lucky on Tuesday and may have to accept less luck today. Thus we should endeavour to play in such a way as to be able to avoid the need for fortune. Goals are the key to that and I like the XI you choose though I'd have Poku on the bench rather than senior who isn't a team man. Wessex may be right though, Ball is concerned defensively and I concur. Smith is not Prosser, Tom's form is indifferent, welch-hayes is a lad learning and Bramhall is a left half not a left back. In midfield Pell, who is more a motivator and nuisance to the opposition rather than a good footballer needs to improve because there are a few options for us there.

Pinault good to hear from you.

On occasion JM deployed three at the back and you could see Sowunmi join Eastman and Smith. Welch-Hayes and Bramall to become wing backs but it is ultra cautious.

Tom Eastman has been such a rock in defence that he should be given a little latitude over current form.

Harry Pell played his best game for the U's in the 3-3 draw at Oldham a couple of years ago. He was unplayable that day. Like Ainsley Harriott he is injury prone and has not been back to his best since his most recent injury.

We have missed Ben Stevenson he is a classy player and I have always liked his style of play. Chilvers is a revelation in midfield and he is still learning but will become a very good player.

I agree about Kwame Poku. I reckon last couple of games he has been slightly off form, but he is a quality attacking midfield player.

I see Josh Bohui as a skilfull attacker and left winger cutting in to deliver a decent cross or shot on goal.

I suppose I want to see more attacking play from the U's and not the JM style ultra cautious apporach.

Courtney Senior is according to U's management undroppable. When the faithful were allowed to go to games they would sing "Courtney Senior never gives the ball away" but I suspect that was more out of irony than anything else. He overuns the ball takes on one too many defenders and often loses it when he should have passed.

Gambin has stopped shooting from range - why?
Harriott spends too much time on the physio table and on the deck when he plays. Too many flicks and tricks and less final product.

I'm sticking with my predicted line up even though SB will line up as I feared.
But I really want to see Brown, Norris and Bohui play together they would be exciting to watch.

The top teams all have three top forward thinking players in their sides. There is no substitute for pace and ability to run at defenders who hate having to make tackles in or around the penalty area. Brown and Bohui offer the trickery and pace, Norris the experience and goal scoring ability.

Come on SB, be adventurous and dynamic in your team selection and let's put the newcomers to the sword. After all this is season 5 in the basement league and we want to get out of it.

Up the U's
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 10:46]

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:25 - Oct 24 with 773 viewsgerry_us

Bohui the new Macca again today then!. Oh when will our management learn to give flair a proper chance, not just arse end minutes when all is lost?
Sorry about the "arse" word
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:25 - Oct 24 with 772 viewsdurham_exile

SB team

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Stevenson Chilvers

Poku Harriott

Brown

Subs
George Sowunmi Senior Norris Scarlett Gambin Bohui

As I feared SB is not bold enough to play Norris and Bohui with Brown from the start.

Result poor Brown is isolated up front and we have given the initiative to Harrogate.

When is he going to learn that 8 minutes for an exciting young talent that we have signed for 2 years is simply not good enough.

Delighted to see that at least he is playing Stevenson Pell and Chilvers as a midfield which is a step in the right direction.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:27 - Oct 24 with 771 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:25 - Oct 24 by gerry_us

Bohui the new Macca again today then!. Oh when will our management learn to give flair a proper chance, not just arse end minutes when all is lost?
Sorry about the "arse" word

No apology necessary. The youngster is talented and totally wasted on the bench.

Simple as.

I really hope that we do not implode with a lack of strikeforce once again.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:35 - Oct 24 with 765 viewsdurham_exile

In today's programme the main feature is Josh Bohui. At least he will have plenty of time sitting on the bench to read the feature!!!!!!

Incidentally very impressed with the service, ordered yesterday, arrived this morning.

Come on the U's

3-1

Josh Bohui to score two in the last 8 minutes!

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:52 - Oct 24 with 753 viewsMoor_Pinot

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:35 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

In today's programme the main feature is Josh Bohui. At least he will have plenty of time sitting on the bench to read the feature!!!!!!

Incidentally very impressed with the service, ordered yesterday, arrived this morning.

Come on the U's

3-1

Josh Bohui to score two in the last 8 minutes!

Am also disappointed.
I believe it is perfectly possible to stiffen the defence and play more than one forward. One of you mentioned 'flair' - that missing word actually epitomises Cufc for the last ten years or more. We're terrified of it. That paralysis has led to us steadily declining and then settling down where we are.
Such a pity for the lads involved - Bohui, Bonne, Hanlan,.. Oh you all know what I mean.

Maybe Tom will get a hattrick.

Moor Pinot

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:17 - Oct 24 with 748 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 14:52 - Oct 24 by Moor_Pinot

Am also disappointed.
I believe it is perfectly possible to stiffen the defence and play more than one forward. One of you mentioned 'flair' - that missing word actually epitomises Cufc for the last ten years or more. We're terrified of it. That paralysis has led to us steadily declining and then settling down where we are.
Such a pity for the lads involved - Bohui, Bonne, Hanlan,.. Oh you all know what I mean.

Maybe Tom will get a hattrick.

Poor Brown is isolated too often on the half way line

Particularly when playing at home there is no excuse for a single striker

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:21 - Oct 24 with 744 viewsthrillseeker

First 20 mins - painful viewing.

We look so poor.

Hopefully it will get better
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:22 - Oct 24 with 743 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:17 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

Poor Brown is isolated too often on the half way line

Particularly when playing at home there is no excuse for a single striker

Harrogate not afraid to come forward in numbers.

They just had 5 in our penalty area.

Brown is too isolated and being asked to do too much.

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:32 - Oct 24 with 736 viewsnoah4x4

This is awful
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:35 - Oct 24 with 730 viewsnoah4x4

Get Poku off and Bohui on please
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:35 - Oct 24 with 729 viewsthrillseeker

How many times fo Poku & Harriott give the ball away in dangerous areas?
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:35 - Oct 24 with 729 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:32 - Oct 24 by noah4x4

This is awful

SB is at fault.

He must give Brown support this 451 formation is poor at home.

There is no excuse

I simply do not understand why the reluctance to persist with only one upfront at home

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:37 - Oct 24 with 727 viewsbwildered

Learn't nothing from Tuesday night. Nobody taken responcability, lacklustre throughout .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:39 - Oct 24 with 724 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:37 - Oct 24 by bwildered

Learn't nothing from Tuesday night. Nobody taken responcability, lacklustre throughout .

Jon Stead replacing the stricken Martin

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:44 - Oct 24 with 718 viewsMoor_Pinot

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:35 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

SB is at fault.

He must give Brown support this 451 formation is poor at home.

There is no excuse

I simply do not understand why the reluctance to persist with only one upfront at home

This is hideous.
We were terrible at Carlisle, pathetic - & fortunate - on Tuesday but this is just shameful.
Where is the motivation, the desire, the effort?
Managers have been sacked for better than this.
We are becoming a " lethargic as long as we stay in lg two happy to be less than ordinary club."
Why?
Good thing the cardboard cut outs can't shout.

Moor Pinot

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:46 - Oct 24 with 718 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:39 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

Jon Stead replacing the stricken Martin

SB is unlikely to make any changes until into the second half but he must understand that Brown is outnumbered and too isolated.

Chilvers had a presentable chance then.

Pell unlucky with a decent strike

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:48 - Oct 24 with 714 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:46 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

SB is unlikely to make any changes until into the second half but he must understand that Brown is outnumbered and too isolated.

Chilvers had a presentable chance then.

Pell unlucky with a decent strike

HT
0-0

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:50 - Oct 24 with 711 viewsnoah4x4

HT 0-0

We could be 2-0 up or 0-4 down. Highlights will suggest a brilliant game, but truth is we have been shameful.
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:51 - Oct 24 with 711 viewsdurham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:48 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

HT
0-0

Replace Poku and Harriott with Norris and Bohui

Durham_exile

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:54 - Oct 24 with 707 viewsthrillseeker

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:51 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

Agree with this

I thought we played well for all of 2 minutes that half, and had good chances.

If we had gone in at half time with a lead that would have been criminal
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:56 - Oct 24 with 704 viewsthrillseeker

Did I hear correctly on commentary that it was sunny in Canvey Island?
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:59 - Oct 24 with 700 viewsnoah4x4

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:56 - Oct 24 by thrillseeker

Did I hear correctly on commentary that it was sunny in Canvey Island?

Think he said scummy
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 16:00]
Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:59 - Oct 24 with 696 viewsMoor_Pinot

Newcomers to come unstuck at the JSCS against the Super U's on 15:51 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

Good call Durham but it'll probably be Senior on for Harriott......

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024