Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sam Walker 12:52 - Nov 21 with 697 viewsnoah4x4

Watching Gerkens blunder last night and Bournmouth v Reading today has caused me to enquire after fan's favourite Sam Walker who made 155 appearance between the sticks for the U's.

Sam signed a three year contract on 25th July 2018 with Reading and looked destined for Championship fame. But....

Season 2018-19 made 7 league appearances
2019-20 made 0 appearances (but 5 in cups)
2020-21 made 0 appearances (not even on the bench today)

Still only 29. I suppose he will be well paid until next July for doing nothing, but what a waste of a talent. Might he be on our watch list for when out of contract?
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 12:53]
Sam Walker on 15:08 - Nov 21 with 668 viewsdurham_exile

Noah I think it highly unlikely that Big Sam would return simply because he wants to make it at championship level.

I would not close the door if Ethan Ross wanted to return. I didn't see him play very often but when he did his handling shot stopping and distribution were all good.

Big Sam received criticism for not commanding the box but he was a fans favourite.

Dean Gerken made two good saves last night but was badly at fault for their goal.

Aidan Davison was one of my favourite U's keepers and of course his error at Blackburn is still shown on TV but at Scummy he made some of the best saves you could ask a keeper to make.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Sam Walker on 15:31 - Nov 21 with 663 viewsMoor_Pinot

Sam Walker on 15:08 - Nov 21 by durham_exile

Noah I think it highly unlikely that Big Sam would return simply because he wants to make it at championship level.

I would not close the door if Ethan Ross wanted to return. I didn't see him play very often but when he did his handling shot stopping and distribution were all good.

Big Sam received criticism for not commanding the box but he was a fans favourite.

Dean Gerken made two good saves last night but was badly at fault for their goal.

Aidan Davison was one of my favourite U's keepers and of course his error at Blackburn is still shown on TV but at Scummy he made some of the best saves you could ask a keeper to make.

Up the U's

My thoughts on Ross are the same they've been since I posted ages ago - best U's keeper since Aidan Davison. But we wasted him.

I'd welcome Sam back Noah because he was good but like Durham I fancy at his age he's looking up not down.

It's hard not to be sentimental, we could easily be that over Halford who we don't need and much as I liked Deano first time round he makes plenty of mistakes. He has this season and he did last. He's steady and a good shot stopper. Thankfully he's not a Barnes. But he's not Sam, or in my opinion Ross.

But nowt will change with the financial problems of the pandemic. The Chairman has been quiet for a few weeks which is mildly worrying. So, we play Gerken and hope to see fewer errors. Basically, last night he was late on the ball, simply that. Mistakes happen and goalkeeper ones are so costly. Great credit to Norris whose goal was excellent and displayed some pace I didn't think he had.
If we speak of errors, I've re-watched Chilvers' in the first half several times and I don't think he knew he was onside, but it was equally as weak as Gerken's late flap, he had time to chest it down and score.
Similarly, to support Gerken, rewatch the play before the shot and the real culprit - as it often is - was Harry. I like Pell and would pick him over many because he annoys the opposition and motivates like a captain but he is our poorest technical footballer and his ball control was again dreadful which gifted the ball to the scorer.

I don't want to criticise because I was pleased with a point in a game I felt we'd lose but mistakes cost and we do still err regularly. If management can pick two attackers to balance the team we may create more, bother opposition defences more and ultimately be more successful thus reducing the impact of inevitable errors like Dean's . We remain for the moment far too unadventurous away and too cautious at all times thus stifling some of the better players we have.
But please can we not start Senior the spoiler on Tuesday!!
Up the U's.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024