Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's 13:47 - Nov 24 with 1994 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester travel to St James’ Park Exeter tonight for another difficult game. The Grecians are turning into our bogey team following our 3-1 defeat in the Play Off Semi Final second leg. Although we were close to a famous win when Kwame Poku had a chance near the end of the game which would have put the U’s through.

Still that is in the past as is Exeter’s defeat to Oldham at the weekend which handed them their first loss in 13 games. Matt Taylor wants his players to take out their frustration on Colchester, but the pressure is largely on the Grecians and their star Randell Williams.

SB has made much of the fact that we have yet to secure an away win this season. 4 draws and 2 defeats is a disappointing return so far, the draws coming at Bradford 0-0, Barrow 1-1, Walsall 1-1, and Mansfield 1-1 with the two defeats at Carlisle 3-2 and Newport 2-1.

Now the old maxim is win at home and draw away, but an Away win is worth no more points wise but psychologically, particularly tonight, it is worth significantly more. Especially as we have no game this weekend because of that pathetic game against Marine.

Now SB started on Friday night with the following team:

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall
Stevenson Pell Chilvers
Senior Poku
Brown

SB was using what is becoming known as “inverted wingers”.

Harriott replaced Poku on 61 minutes and then Mansfield scored their goal on 67 minutes. SB then made some positive substitutions Bohui and Folivi for Senior and Stevenson on 70 minutes and then Norris for Welch-Hayes on 80 minutes.

The team then looked like this:

Gerken
Eastman Smith Bramall
Pell Chilvers
Harriott Folivi Bohui
Brown Norris

The attacking line up was successful with Norris scoring a “Brownesque” goal on 85 minutes and then we could have won the match with Folivi close near the end. But SB would ordinarily not make such drastic changes in a game. The alternative of course would have been another dismal defeat.

Now a number of us on this site have been pleading for a second striker. Jevani Brown cut a forlorn figure on Friday because he simply had no support and was given little opportunity. Often receiving the ball and he usually had the attention of two or sometimes three Mansfield defenders around him.

So, what can SB do to offer more support, simple play a second striker but who. Jevani Brown must start and then who supports him. Either Chuck Norris or Michael Folivi. I favour Folivi who offers similar pace and trickery as opposed to the wily Norris who has experience but lacks pace. Chuck can be used in the last 30 minutes as an impact player.

Given that the defence is largely determined that leaves midfield and one winger.
Try as I can I cant get away from the midfield triumvirate of Stevenson, Pell and Chilvers. This means that SB cannot play his inverted wingers. But with Brown and Folivi he must choose between Senior, Poku, Harriott and Bohui.

When he is on his game, Harriott is the natural choice. Skilful and always able to create chances for others, he is often let down by his failure to stay on his feet. Courtney Senior is frustrating. He often plays well but takes on one too many defenders or gives the ball away cheaply or fails to track back or all of the above.

Kwame Poku is an enigma. His best game for the U’s was that thrilling victory at Salford last season when in horrendous weather conditions he scored an absolute scorcher and almost got a second shortly afterwards. He has in my view failed to push on this season and whilst he is talented, he needs to channel this energy far more productively.

Josh Bohui is one of my favourite players. Yes, he missed a penalty against Marine, but everyone was pants that day except Bramall. He would be first change if Harriott is replaced.

Brown and Folivi could be the ultimate striking partnership both young, pacy and have goals in them. We have lacked a strike partnership for years now. Norris is a real old-fashioned striker; he scores goals and has bags of experience. He also gets frustrated and often pummels the floor after hitting the deck or gives away cheap fouls when annoyed about a failure to convert a chance.

Paris Cowan-Hall is another player who has had almost as many clubs as Jack Nicklaus, but he has been unlucky with fitness. His best game was against Spurs when he kept Son in his pocket for most of the game.

Therefore, the following to start at St James’ Park in a 4,3,3:

Gerken

Stevenson Pell Chilvers

Harriott Brown Folivi

Subs:
George Cowan-Hall Sowunmi Senior Bohui Poku Norris

A look at the table:

Newport 12 28
Cheltenham 13 25
Cambridge 12 24
Carlisle 13 23
FGR 13 22
Exeter 13 21
COL U 12 20
Salford 12 19

Our game in hand is the Scunny game.

On Thursday we will find out which Tier we are going to be in and ultimately that will determine whether we can have 4,000 (T1) or 2,000 (T2) supporters at the JSCS. Colchester is likely to be tier 1, Co Durham could be Tier 3 where no supporters will be allowed. There is a massive difference and we do not know whether away supporters will be allowed into the stadia.

I suspect that I will continue to be reliant on iFollow.

The weather in South Devon this evening will be 12 degrees Celsius and mostly cloudy but dry. The pitch will be better than Field Mill, where the surface was greasy, and the players footwear caused many slips and trips.

I reckon that we will prevail in a keenly contested game by 3-2. Cohen Bramall is overdue a goal and he will be supported by goal machine Brown and his strike partner Folivi.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 15:21 - Nov 24 with 1143 viewsburnsieespana

As usual an excellent write up Durham.
Looks like FGR going to get a free hit against Southend tonight as game going ahead but media saying " Southend drastically short of players" which Is feel is unfair on other clubs around the play off places
Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 15:55 - Nov 24 with 1135 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 15:21 - Nov 24 by burnsieespana

As usual an excellent write up Durham.
Looks like FGR going to get a free hit against Southend tonight as game going ahead but media saying " Southend drastically short of players" which Is feel is unfair on other clubs around the play off places

burnsie

Southend club statement
"Following another round of COVID testing which took place on Monday (23rd November), Southend United can confirm that tonight’s fixture will go ahead as scheduled against Forest Green Rovers.

A number of Southend United scholars were included in the round of testing within a time frame that enabled the results to come back within sufficient time.

All available players that were tested came back negative, allowing the club to safely name a matchday squad.

Those who tested positive last week, along with one other who came into close contact, will not be available for selection as they continue to self-isolate, and everybody at the club wishes them a speedy recovery."

The whole thing has a lack of authenticity about it. Scunny missed three games when their players tested positive.

Anyway onto Exeter and a good win for the U's in prospect.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 16:56 - Nov 24 with 1128 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grand preview again Durham and for what it's worth that's the very team I'd put out, though Ball won't because he always gives the opposition credit and respect in abundance like his predecessor instead of adopting a more Parkinson-esque and positive 'we're going to win this' approach.
We shall see.
How many years since we last won there? Mick will know.

I recall a 2-0 I saw there with Dale Tempest scoring and a 3-0 in which Adam Locke was outstanding but both were while I lived in Somerset and that's 18 years ago now.

It must be time!!

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 17:32 - Nov 24 with 1117 viewsmfb_cufc

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 16:56 - Nov 24 by Moor_Pinot

Grand preview again Durham and for what it's worth that's the very team I'd put out, though Ball won't because he always gives the opposition credit and respect in abundance like his predecessor instead of adopting a more Parkinson-esque and positive 'we're going to win this' approach.
We shall see.
How many years since we last won there? Mick will know.

I recall a 2-0 I saw there with Dale Tempest scoring and a 3-0 in which Adam Locke was outstanding but both were while I lived in Somerset and that's 18 years ago now.

It must be time!!

Pinault, in answer to when did we last win at Exeter, it was 21 Feb 1998. We won 1-0 with Tony Lock getting the winner.

Including the play-off game last season we have gone 8 games without winning at St James Park, though we did get a 0-0 in the league last season.

The 2-0 win there, when Dale Tempest scored, was on Boxing Day 1987. The 3-0 when Adam Locke scored twice was on 25 Jan 1997.

mfb

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:07 - Nov 24 with 1110 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 17:32 - Nov 24 by mfb_cufc

Pinault, in answer to when did we last win at Exeter, it was 21 Feb 1998. We won 1-0 with Tony Lock getting the winner.

Including the play-off game last season we have gone 8 games without winning at St James Park, though we did get a 0-0 in the league last season.

The 2-0 win there, when Dale Tempest scored, was on Boxing Day 1987. The 3-0 when Adam Locke scored twice was on 25 Jan 1997.

Thanks Mick, I knew you'd know, both Locke goals were splendid as was the away support.
Fingers crossed anyway.

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:13 - Nov 24 with 1109 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 17:32 - Nov 24 by mfb_cufc

Great stats from previous games Mick.

Tonights team, so much for bold SB he has wimped out

Gerken

Stevenson Pell Chilvers

(So far so good then the wheels fall off)

Senior Poku

Brown

No second striker poor JB isolated once again. Does he never learn.
Senior is simply undroppable! well its about time he stood up and was counted!

subs
George Sowunmi Norris Harriott Scarlett Bohui Folivi

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:21 - Nov 24 with 1105 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:13 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

Great stats from previous games Mick.

Tonights team, so much for bold SB he has wimped out

Gerken

Stevenson Pell Chilvers

(So far so good then the wheels fall off)

Senior Poku

Brown

No second striker poor JB isolated once again. Does he never learn.
Senior is simply undroppable! well its about time he stood up and was counted!

subs
George Sowunmi Norris Harriott Scarlett Bohui Folivi

Up the U's

Told you. Same as the old boss.
Nothing to surprise the opposition - opposition teams must find us so easy to prep for.
Caution to the fore at all times.
Disappointed, praps we need to be hammered before changes occur to the wimp management Durham.
We shall see, but what a pity, yet again.

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:34 - Nov 24 with 1098 viewswessex_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:21 - Nov 24 by Moor_Pinot

Told you. Same as the old boss.
Nothing to surprise the opposition - opposition teams must find us so easy to prep for.
Caution to the fore at all times.
Disappointed, praps we need to be hammered before changes occur to the wimp management Durham.
We shall see, but what a pity, yet again.

Going to be tough one I reckon, so who knows what may transpire with subs second half. At least Ball generally gives his substitutes a decent amount of game time to have an impact.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Login to get fewer ads

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:51 - Nov 24 with 1090 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:34 - Nov 24 by wessex_exile

Going to be tough one I reckon, so who knows what may transpire with subs second half. At least Ball generally gives his substitutes a decent amount of game time to have an impact.

Wessex I truly hope that we are not once again chasing the game before he brings on the cavalry.

SB says before the game we are going there to win. So prove it by playing a second striker.

Senior is playing once again instead of Harriott, Folivi, Bohui etc etc.

Until he becomes a bold manager we will struggle away from home. Why the constant lone striker which demoralises Brown and makes it so easy for the four defenders marking him.

I do hope Im wrong but he has got the starting line up wrong once again.

Up the defensively minded U's

Take the game to them and go for the win!!!!!!!

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:57 - Nov 24 with 1084 viewsnoah4x4

Here we go again. Lets hope Senior remembers it is a team game.
Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:22 - Nov 24 with 1077 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 18:57 - Nov 24 by noah4x4

Here we go again. Lets hope Senior remembers it is a team game.

Well it's been coming for 20 mins and we are again chasing the game.

Incensed you bet I am

Up the defensive U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:26 - Nov 24 with 1070 viewsnoah4x4

Brown isolated again.
Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:27 - Nov 24 with 1070 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:22 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

Well it's been coming for 20 mins and we are again chasing the game.

Incensed you bet I am

Up the defensive U's

We're playing 5 at the back 4 in midfield and we are still losing the ball in the middle of the park.

Come on SB change it up. We need a second striker. All we are doing is encouraging the opposition on at every turn.

Furious

Incandescent

Angry

All of the above

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:32 - Nov 24 with 1064 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:27 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

We're playing 5 at the back 4 in midfield and we are still losing the ball in the middle of the park.

Come on SB change it up. We need a second striker. All we are doing is encouraging the opposition on at every turn.

Furious

Incandescent

Angry

All of the above

It's a 1-0 massacre

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:37 - Nov 24 with 1055 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:32 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

It's a 1-0 massacre

Exeter just made a 60 yard run and not one challenge

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:38 - Nov 24 with 1054 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:32 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

It's a 1-0 massacre

As I said, maybe thick management needs a good thumping defeat to learn what wins football matches. Ignoring forwards and over hyping the opposition does not.
We're nowhere in this yet.
Same old.
Is cowling watching?

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:47 - Nov 24 with 1049 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:38 - Nov 24 by Moor_Pinot

As I said, maybe thick management needs a good thumping defeat to learn what wins football matches. Ignoring forwards and over hyping the opposition does not.
We're nowhere in this yet.
Same old.
Is cowling watching?

I honestly don't think SB is bothered he is one dimensional Eastman has been advanced and we've gone to three at the back.

More possession in the Exeter half but frankly that is not difficult.

Once again how long before he brings Folivi Norris and Bohui on.

Senior and Poku to go off early second half

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:51 - Nov 24 with 1045 viewsnoah4x4

How are we not 3-0 down?

Poku awful
Brown isolated
Exeter a yard faster in every position.

Humes (and his tactics) out!

Be bold Ball. Two up front. Make Exeter uncomfortable in their own half.
Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:53 - Nov 24 with 1040 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:47 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

I honestly don't think SB is bothered he is one dimensional Eastman has been advanced and we've gone to three at the back.

How much evidence does this limp management need to change strategy and preparation?
For four seasons we have been wasting some decent talent. That needs to change. And it can.
So when will someone at the sharp end of our club notice?
Fairly fed up with it actually.
When Exeter score again I'll switch off.

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:53 - Nov 24 with 1040 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 19:47 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

Half time.

Same old. We can never hope to dominate possession with an isolated Brown totally on his own.

Get Poku and Senior off and bring Norris and Folivi on.

Play Pell Stevenson and Chilvers in midfield and play three up front we still have 7 back when required but at present the Exeter defence have nothing to worry about.

Realistically we could have been 4-0 down.

Don't waste any more time SB make the changes now and give them 45 minutes to change things.

I am seething.

Up the one dimensional U's
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 19:59]

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:03 - Nov 24 with 1026 viewsnoah4x4

Three subs!

Has Humes departed?
Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:07 - Nov 24 with 1020 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:03 - Nov 24 by noah4x4

Three subs!

Has Humes departed?

Harriott for Welch Hayes
Folivi for Chilvers
Norris for Poku

Has Senior secretly married the chairman's daughter
He has the safest job in football

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:12 - Nov 24 with 1010 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:07 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

Harriott for Welch Hayes
Folivi for Chilvers
Norris for Poku

Has Senior secretly married the chairman's daughter
He has the safest job in football

Shocking 3 v 1 and now we have K2 to climb

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:15 - Nov 24 with 997 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:12 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

Good night.
Humes out
Proper football manager in please, someone who's done it before.

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:17 - Nov 24 with 987 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair raising experience against Super U's on 20:12 - Nov 24 by durham_exile

Everest as well now

Scarlett for Senior

The team is now unrecognisable and the players will not have played this in training.

Welch Hayes should never have been taken off in the first place.

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024