Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight 17:33 - Dec 8 with 1044 viewsdurham_exile

After a much-needed victory against the Mariners at the weekend, SB takes his charges to the Sands Venue Stadium this evening to take on Neil Cox’s improving Iron.

Scunny have won their last two games, and our record at Glanford Park is not the best, but I expect Colchester to secure another 2-1 victory. Last season I saw the U’s come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2, but we need to go one better this evening.

Unfortunately, I must mention the unsavoury aspect to the game on Saturday. Now at the time I did not pick up on any boos, but it was only when I saw the Chairman’s statement, that I became aware of the controversy.

I deliberately did not respond to the diatribe on the site from certain sources, suffice to say that the adverse publicity was not needed on a day when our supporters returned to the stadium and generally acquitted themselves well. Whatever people’s views on BLM, the JSCS was not the correct place to air them. The sight of a disconsolate Cohen Bramall on National TV with a Col U shirt on should be more than enough for the minority of people who feel that way to keep their counsel.

One of the finest players ever to wear the Colchester shirt was Trevor Lee who ironically won the game at the Old Den some years ago and received tremendous abuse from the Lion’s fans. In my experience such disrespect always works against the team and I do hope that we hear no more of it at the JSCS. Enough said.

The weather tonight will be wet and 4 degrees Celsius. The pitch will be greasy and likely to cut up.

Now what team will SB play.

I am going to suggest three changes. The return of Welch-Hayes and Stevenson after suspension and dropping Senior! Clearly after such a suggestion I will keep away from black cats, ladders and so on but enough is enough.

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Harriott Chilvers Stevenson Gambin

Brown Norris

Subs:
George Sowunmi Tchamadeu Poku Bohui Folivi Lapslie

Yes, I know I have omitted Senior, but this is my predicted line up and I am allowed to suggest who I like to play in the Colchester kit.

Mention of Junior Tchamadeu who made a superb debut for the club and looked far more mature than his tender 16 years of age. Callum Ainsley Harriott also cooked up a Michelin starred performance and it is hoped that he can give the Scunny defence a roasting this evening.

One thing is sacrosanct, Brown needs support and either Chuck or Folivi should supply it.

League Table

Newport 15 33
Cheltenham 16 32
FGR 16 29
Carlisle 16 29
Exeter 16 27
Cambridge 15 25
Salford 15 25
Orient 16 24
COL U 15 24
Tranmere 16 24
PV 16 22

This is our game in hand, and we need the points, not only to close the gap but also to improve on a woeful Away record this season. We do not want to be constantly chasing the top seven we need to be right amongst them.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:14 - Dec 8 with 608 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Gerken
Welch Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall
Senior Chilvers Gambin Harriott
Norris Brown

Very thin in midfield

George Sowunmi Clampin Poku Miranda Tchamadeu Folivi

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:15 - Dec 8 with 608 viewspwrightsknees

The usual methodical and insightful analysis. Thanks Durham.

One thing has worried me. We know that Dean is a great "shot-stopper" (despite a few mistakes recently), but he doesn't command his area. That's left to our centre-backs (go back 50 years to super Leeds, with Sprake, leaving crosses to Charlton and Hunter). Other teams, including Marine have worked this out, and consequently, our penalty area is peppered with crosses from their wide men. We need our full-backs to close this threat off, which so far, they have not really been able to do.

By the way, Durham, I totally concur with your reaction to this morning's debate. Mine was exactly the same. A legitimate debate, but not on this platform.

Congratulations to Daniel, also, for closing the thread when he did.

Up the U's.
Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:31 - Dec 8 with 599 viewsgerry_us

Would like to have seen Tchamadeu given another game then realised at only approaching 17 he probably needs a bit more recovery time after Saturday. Let's hope he becomes a regular soon if his Saturday performance is anything to go by.
Undroppable Senior makes the lineup???
Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:31 - Dec 8 with 599 viewsmfb_cufc

Our record away to Scunthorpe is indeed bad. In the 32 games we have played against them we have only won 3, with the last win coming 13 games ago in 1995. With that and our poor away record this season I think a draw might not be a bad result tonight.

mfb

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:39 - Dec 8 with 590 viewsgerry_us

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:31 - Dec 8 by mfb_cufc

Our record away to Scunthorpe is indeed bad. In the 32 games we have played against them we have only won 3, with the last win coming 13 games ago in 1995. With that and our poor away record this season I think a draw might not be a bad result tonight.

Bet you wouldn't forecast a draw though!
Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:46 - Dec 8 with 584 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 18:15 - Dec 8 by pwrightsknees

The usual methodical and insightful analysis. Thanks Durham.

One thing has worried me. We know that Dean is a great "shot-stopper" (despite a few mistakes recently), but he doesn't command his area. That's left to our centre-backs (go back 50 years to super Leeds, with Sprake, leaving crosses to Charlton and Hunter). Other teams, including Marine have worked this out, and consequently, our penalty area is peppered with crosses from their wide men. We need our full-backs to close this threat off, which so far, they have not really been able to do.

By the way, Durham, I totally concur with your reaction to this morning's debate. Mine was exactly the same. A legitimate debate, but not on this platform.

Congratulations to Daniel, also, for closing the thread when he did.

Up the U's.

PWK good to hear from you.

I agree with you regarding crosses. The corner against Grimsby on Saturday was a case in point it effectively went straight in.

Smith has been mercurial so far. Tom Eastman has been such a colossus in recent seasons that we expect that he has become an automaton but this season I think he has been under par. Perhaps unfair but not quite his serene self.

Bramall is oustanding going forward but often out of position at the back and SB has tried three or four options at Right Back although I think Welch-Hayes is the best.

SB uses inverted wingers to also track back and when he is fit Harry Pell plays as a fifth defender. Result we sit back and invite pressure.

I would prefer to see a 4,3,3 formation with the back four plus Pell, Chilvers and Stevenson and then Harriott Brown and Norris or Folivi as an option.

Senior is undroppable but I'm afarid that he has not progressed and must know that however poorly he plays he will always start. Result complacency and tonight I would have preferred to see some midfield support for young Chilvers. Lapslie or Cowan-Hall (if he is fit).

I hope that Norris and Brown play as a genuine strike partnership this evening. On a heavy pitch Brown does not want to be isolated.

Anyway I don't want to moan and groan, let's go for the victory and bring home the three points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:11 - Dec 8 with 564 viewsdurham_exile

Welch-Hayes brilliant defending
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 19:11]

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:23 - Dec 8 with 545 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:11 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Welch-Hayes brilliant defending
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 19:11]

What frustrates me is our preference to go ultra defensive and consequently we are on the back foot and offer little attacking threat.

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:27 - Dec 8 with 542 viewswessex_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:23 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

What frustrates me is our preference to go ultra defensive and consequently we are on the back foot and offer little attacking threat.

Lovely work - 1-0 to the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:29 - Dec 8 with 538 viewsMoor_Pinot

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:23 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

As usual we permit the opposition to play and we thence react.
We never seek to create or aim to dictate. The opposition are always given those options - infuriating!

Moor Pinot

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:30 - Dec 8 with 538 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:27 - Dec 8 by wessex_exile

Lovely work - 1-0 to the U's!

Superb header from Smith

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:30 - Dec 8 with 538 viewsnoah4x4

Football can be bonkers. How are we winning? But won’t complain
Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:41 - Dec 8 with 526 viewsMoor_Pinot

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:30 - Dec 8 by noah4x4

Football can be bonkers. How are we winning? But won’t complain

Weird isn't it!
But, indeed can't complain at a goal that never looked likely!

Moor Pinot

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:52 - Dec 8 with 516 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:41 - Dec 8 by Moor_Pinot

Weird isn't it!
But, indeed can't complain at a goal that never looked likely!

Though we have sat back and gifted possession we have looked comfortable since scoring.

But we must push on second half and score a second.
No sitting back and allowing Scunny forward.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:57 - Dec 8 with 511 viewsmfb_cufc

After failing to score in the first game of the season at Bradford City, we have now scored in all 15 league games since. No idea what our record run for scoring is, but I will try to find out.

mfb

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:10 - Dec 8 with 501 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 19:57 - Dec 8 by mfb_cufc

After failing to score in the first game of the season at Bradford City, we have now scored in all 15 league games since. No idea what our record run for scoring is, but I will try to find out.

That will be an interesting stat
Perhaps our Conference days might rival that sequence

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:12 - Dec 8 with 499 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:10 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

That will be an interesting stat
Perhaps our Conference days might rival that sequence

Frankly get senior off now

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:16 - Dec 8 with 496 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:12 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Frankly get senior off now

Harriott injured and off Sowunmi on.

Too early to go 4,6,0

Senior corner was shocking

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:20 - Dec 8 with 491 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:16 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Too early to go 4,6,0

Difficult to tell but the angle suggested the ball didn't cross the line

This is similar to the Exeter second half. We have gone too defensive too early.

Brown off Folivi on

Disappointing

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:25 - Dec 8 with 487 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:20 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Difficult to tell but the angle suggested the ball didn't cross the line

This is similar to the Exeter second half. We have gone too defensive too early.

Brown off Folivi on

Disappointing

Why do BBC Essex dislike Colchester so much and love Scummend.

The commentary is always biased against Colchester.

Very annoying.

That's another reason why I want to get back to the games.

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:26 - Dec 8 with 480 viewsMoor_Pinot

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:16 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Too early to go 4,6,0

He is shocking, going backwards sadly.
Badly need a second goal from someone!

Moor Pinot

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:27 - Dec 8 with 474 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:26 - Dec 8 by Moor_Pinot

He is shocking, going backwards sadly.
Badly need a second goal from someone!

Definitely right

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:37 - Dec 8 with 465 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:27 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Definitely right

Senior off good Clampin on
Norris off Poku on

Six at the back now!

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:41 - Dec 8 with 461 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:37 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Norris off Poku on

Six at the back now!

Think I'm going to watch The Alamo or Rorkes Drift after this

Durham_exile

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:41 - Dec 8 with 460 viewsgerry_us

Colchester to prevail against the rusty old Iron tonight on 20:37 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Norris off Poku on

Six at the back now!

Only six?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024