Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter 11:58 - Dec 26 with 1592 viewsdurham_exile

For the first time this season SB and his charges are under real pressure. As Gerry put it “pier” pressure as they make the short journey to Roots Hall to play the Shrimpers at 1pm.

Pressure because they face the prospect of three successive defeats and to lose even more ground in the promotion race.

Losing to Cambridge was bad enough albeit a game that we deserved to secure a draw, but we were woeful against Morecambe and if it possible to be thrashed 2-1 then we were most certainly thrashed.

Those games have gone and has the 6-1 thrashing of the Shrimpers earlier in the season. Boxing Day is all about three crucial league points, bragging rights and attempting to drop Southend closer to the trapdoor of relegation.

Incredibly the last time I went to Roots Hall was Boxing Day 1989 and we won 2-0 that day. Yes, I have been to many derby matches at home but 1989 was the last Away game. My abiding memory that day was many of the Southend faithful hurling their seat cushions onto the pitch at full time.

Anyway, today is all about an Away victory.

1. Newport 19 37
2. FGR 19 36
3. Carlisle 19 35
4. Cheltenham 19 33
5. Morecambe 19 31
6. Exeter 18 30
7. Salford 18 30
8. Walsall 19 30
9. Cambridge 18 28
10. COL U 19 28

24. Southend 18 13

SB must be decisive and brave in his team selection and tactics. Frankly, he has been inept and unconvincing in both for many games this season. Carlisle and Morecambe have been the best two teams that I have seen against the U’s this season. It is vital therefore that the defeats are stopped before more points are haemorrhaged, and we slide further down the League Two table.

This is our fifth season in League Two and if we are to get out of the basement league then three points against our nearest geographical rivals is essential.

But what team does he play. Well, it must be two strikers and two or even three bespoke midfielders. After all Tom Lapslie is available after his long injury lay off. Defence must revert to Welch-Hayes at full back.

So, I would go with 4,3,3

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Chilvers Stevenson Lapslie

Harriott Brown Folivi

Subs:
Tchamadeu
Sowunmi
Norris
Clampin
Gambin
George
Senior

But SB will play instead:

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall
Stevenson Chilvers
Harriott Folivi Senior
Brown

Subtle changes but important in the scheme of things.

Mark Molesley has John White and Greg Halford available for selection in a team that has started to play a bit. Two draws and two wins in the last four games.

The pitch will be heavy, but the weather will be cloudy and a mild 10 degrees Celsius.

Enjoy the game.

3-0 to the U’s today.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 26 Dec 2020 12:02]

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 12:12 - Dec 26 with 895 viewsdurham_exile

Injuries have struck the U's

Gerken

Eastman Sowunmi Smith
Senior Chilvers Stevenson Clampin
Folivi Poku
Brown

George Welch-Hayes Lapslie Gambin Tovide Sayer Bohui

Bramall, Norris and Harriott out injured.

Good to see Folivi and Brown together

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 12:49 - Dec 26 with 871 viewsMoor_Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 12:12 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Injuries have struck the U's

Gerken

Eastman Sowunmi Smith
Senior Chilvers Stevenson Clampin
Folivi Poku
Brown

George Welch-Hayes Lapslie Gambin Tovide Sayer Bohui

Bramall, Norris and Harriott out injured.

Good to see Folivi and Brown together

Up the U's

Given that, entirely in keeping with his predecessor, our management clone has no idea of what his best team is maybe the injuries will be a positive thing for us Durham. I wish the new lads well today and who knows what may follow. Ball's record inclusive of the two main cups is 7-7-7 so a mid table position awaits. What annoys me is that he's already getting his personal defence in early by citing people referring to this season as transitional in interviews and stating that he, of course, views the season as nothing of the sort. I spotted that a while ago and it's unhelpful spin. That's why I hope the players will step up and push for the top seven. Then the management will deserve a pat on the back!
Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:12 - Dec 26 with 862 viewsgerry_us

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:12 - Dec 26 with 858 viewsdurham_exile

I am seething
Another simple goal.

No passion or fight at the moment.

Come on this is shite

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:14 - Dec 26 with 857 viewsMoor_Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:12 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

I am seething
Another simple goal.

No passion or fight at the moment.

Come on this is shite

You cannot play Senior and Poku together.
We have made another appalling, passionless start. Christmas normal from the U's.

Moor Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:19 - Dec 26 with 850 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:14 - Dec 26 by Moor_Pinot

You cannot play Senior and Poku together.
We have made another appalling, passionless start. Christmas normal from the U's.

The last two games we were poor today we are even worse and that takes some saying.

Steve Ball must go before we find ourselves swapping places with our Essex fiends.

This is utter rubbish.

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:22 - Dec 26 with 843 viewsburnsieespana

Been preparing myself for defeat today since Halford signed for them.
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:23 - Dec 26 with 839 viewsnoah4x4

Humes out!
Ball out!

This is appalling
Login to get fewer ads

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:23 - Dec 26 with 838 viewsMoor_Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:19 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

The last two games we were poor today we are even worse and that takes some saying.

Steve Ball must go before we find ourselves swapping places with our Essex fiends.

This is utter rubbish.

I rest my (earlier) case.

Just hoping that the players can play to the potential many of them have, albeit unseen by management.

He won't go Durham due to the clubs policy.

Moor Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:25 - Dec 26 with 838 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:22 - Dec 26 by burnsieespana

Been preparing myself for defeat today since Halford signed for them.

Burnsie Halford on the bench.

We are appalling.

I am sorry sack Ball now. He is an awful manager.

I am disgusted by this gutless display

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:27 - Dec 26 with 835 viewsgerry_us

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:39 - Dec 26 with 823 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:27 - Dec 26 by gerry_us

Also I am incensed by the BBC Essex bias shown to Southend. And even David Gregory is anti Colchester.

Come on we must reduce the defecit before half time

Shocking so far.

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:44 - Dec 26 with 811 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:39 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Also I am incensed by the BBC Essex bias shown to Southend. And even David Gregory is anti Colchester.

Come on we must reduce the defecit before half time

Shocking so far.

What has Hayden Mullins done since arriving.

Does he have any input at all or not.

On this showing another season without promotion.

Poku unlucky with his shot off the post.

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:53 - Dec 26 with 800 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:44 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

What has Hayden Mullins done since arriving.

Does he have any input at all or not.

On this showing another season without promotion.

Poku unlucky with his shot off the post.

I am sick and tired of these insipid displays.

A big 45 minutes required.

SB has options Bohui and Tovide on the bench.

Senior and Clampin to be replaced.

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:56 - Dec 26 with 795 viewspwrightsknees

Not watching because of other things going on, but keeping an eye on the score, of course.

I've been a fan since 1954 (I may have mentioned that previously), and supported the U's through thick and thin. There have been times when we have been so bad that I've thought about the opposition, "come on! give us a good hiding and wake us up".

Today may have been one such occasion, but having been humiliated by Exeter, Marine and Cambridge, and now, probably bottom of the table Southend, I really think that the time has come for changes in the management/coaching staff. Come on Robbie, please get it sorted.

Happy New Year to U's fans everywhere. That looks like a forlorn hope at this moment.
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:56 - Dec 26 with 795 viewsbwildered

Quite simple really, to complicated when in possession, not intrested when not in possession .
Not enough work ethic in the side .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 13:57 - Dec 26 with 792 viewsnoah4x4

Humes out!
Ball out!
Mullins out!

It is a good job fans are not being admitted. This is depressing enough in my warm lounge with a beer.
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:10 - Dec 26 with 781 viewsbwildered

No work ethic in side, play complicated when in possession, uninterested when not.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:21 - Dec 26 with 776 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:10 - Dec 26 by bwildered

No work ethic in side, play complicated when in possession, uninterested when not.

Get Senior off now

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:24 - Dec 26 with 772 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:21 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Get Senior off now

Poku off Gambin on

The youngster Tovide couldn't do any worse that this shower.

No fight, no effort, no spirit, no hope.

I am incandescent with rage.

Sack Ball now

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:26 - Dec 26 with 768 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:24 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Poku off Gambin on

The youngster Tovide couldn't do any worse that this shower.

No fight, no effort, no spirit, no hope.

I am incandescent with rage.

Sack Ball now

Lapslie on for Stevenson

Why is Senior still on the field

Bring on Samson Tovide

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:32 - Dec 26 with 766 viewsnoah4x4

I like the fact that Essex Radio have a Southend summariser alongside David Gregory. He might be Blues biased, but his criticisms of Colchester players is sensible. Gregory dare not say boo to a goose.

Humes out!
Ball out!
Mullins out!
Gregory out!
Senior out!
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:37 - Dec 26 with 761 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:32 - Dec 26 by noah4x4

I like the fact that Essex Radio have a Southend summariser alongside David Gregory. He might be Blues biased, but his criticisms of Colchester players is sensible. Gregory dare not say boo to a goose.

Humes out!
Ball out!
Mullins out!
Gregory out!
Senior out!

We are advancing backwards.

This defeat is an embarrassment.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:41 - Dec 26 with 758 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:37 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

We are advancing backwards.

This defeat is an embarrassment.

Up the U's

Bohui on for Folivi

Senior still on

Halford on for Southend

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:47 - Dec 26 with 752 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:41 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Bohui on for Folivi

Senior still on

Halford on for Southend

Ball go now

Second best to a poor Southend team

Three defeats in a week and we can frankly have no complaints.

This is awful.

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024