Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saudi money....... 08:42 - Jul 20 with 9933 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Splashing the cash about and disrupting the transfer market, £50 for Mitrovic anyone! Similarities to NASL in the 70s?

So who on here would take the money, or stand by their principals and turn it down?
Saudi money....... on 17:43 - Jul 21 with 1245 viewsdistortR

Saudi money....... on 16:53 - Jul 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks man, I'll watch that.

I suppose where I am is that I'm trying to find out about the people as opposed to the current regimes. I've done some limited travelling in Arabian lands, and some limited reading, and I'm absolutely nowhere near figuring out how little I know.

My son did one of those dna tests, apparently my wife has some Arabian ancestry.

Based on that, I have no interest in going there.
Saudi money....... on 18:33 - Jul 21 with 1183 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Saudi money....... on 14:32 - Jul 21 by toboboly

*sigh*

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/saudi-arabia/local-laws-and-customs

edit: a few choice nuggets

Legal system and due process
The Saudi legal system differs in many ways from the UK. Suspects can be held without charge and are not always allowed quick access to legal representation. The Saudi authorities have detained witnesses and victims of crimes. If you need consular assistance, British Embassy staff will try to visit you as soon as they are aware of the case, but in some instances, Embassy staff have not been permitted to do so immediately or have had access limited.

Religion
The public practice of any form of religion other than Islam is illegal; as is an intention to convert others.

LGBT / Sexual relations outside marriage
Homosexual or extra-marital sexual relations, including adultery, are illegal and can be subject to severe penalties. It’s also illegal to be transgender.

Female drivers
As of June 2018, women are legally able to obtain a licence to drive a car, motorbikes and scooters. *how forwards of them to allow women to drive*

Photography and media
Posting material (including videos and photographs) online that is critical of the Saudi government, or appears to insult/ridicule/criticise the country’s culture and belief, the country, authorities, or its culture, may be considered a crime punishable under Saudi law.

Rules of behaviour
Men and women are required to refrain from public displays of affection.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 14:38]

*sigh*

I said concrete, unbiased evidence, not the UK government's own website.
Saudi money....... on 18:37 - Jul 21 with 1182 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Saudi money....... on 15:17 - Jul 21 by kensalriser

Well, on that note I'm out, once again I've allowed myself to be dragged in to a sick bucket of delusional, ignorant crap with childish personal insults thrown in.

In other words, you don't have the unbiased evidence to support your prejudiced, supremacist views.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 18:42]
Saudi money....... on 18:40 - Jul 21 with 1179 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Saudi money....... on 15:10 - Jul 21 by toboboly

I do think i must be drunk when I see people trying to argue that Saudi is a more progressive society than the UK's.

You must be drunk because no one is arguing that.
Saudi money....... on 18:51 - Jul 21 with 1157 viewsloftupper

Saudi money....... on 18:40 - Jul 21 by Benny_the_Ball

You must be drunk because no one is arguing that.

What is it you are arguing?
Saudi money....... on 20:33 - Jul 21 with 1093 viewsslmrstid

If the UK Government's website is so biased then hop on a flight to Saudi Arabia, do all the things they say not to do, then come back and let us know how you got on.

Put your money where your mouth is etc...
Saudi money....... on 23:51 - Sep 27 with 683 viewsNewBee

I've only just noticed that Roberto Mancini decided last month to ditch the Italian Job and chase the Saudi shilli.... er, seek a new footballing challenge as manager of the Saudi Arabia NT.

Which is fair enough, I suppose, at least in as much as it's not breaking any law.

But one thing puzzles me. Mancini, a former Altar boy btw, is known to be a devout Christian, who regularly attends Mass. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but will he be using his position and influence to speak on behalf of his fellow Christians in Saudi?

I mean, there are thought to be 2.2m Christians in Saudi, out of a total population of 35.8m.

"[Yet] The majority of the Christians in Saudi Arabia are foreigners who temporarily live and work in the country. They can be targeted for their faith, since it's another way to abuse a worker – in an environment where foreign workers are already often subjected to horrific working and living conditions. Foreign Christians are heavily restricted from sharing their faith or gathering for worship, and any actions outside of the norm can lead to detention and deportation. No official churches are allowed, and church buildings are forbidden.

A much smaller number of Christians in the country are originally Saudi Arabian, and these are mostly converts from Islam. They are usually forced to live out their faith in secrecy. Otherwise, female converts risk physical violence and forced marriage by their families, while male converts risk being publicly shamed, beaten or imprisoned. Both men and women may also be killed to ‘restore’ the family honour."

https://www.opendoorsuk.org/persecution/world-watch-list/saudi-arabia/

Indeed if originally Muslim-born, converts to Christianity may even be considered to be Apostates, for which the death penalty can be applied in Saudi.

Then again, maybe Mancini is sorely in need of the money? After all, his personal fortune was estimated to be a mere £19m back in 2010, and we all know how inflation must have eaten away at that in the years since:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/05/manchester-city-sheikh-mansour-

And I hope he has managed to negotiate a tax-free package with his employers, so that he isn't subject to the 20% Income Tax rate that expatriates normally have to pay in Saudi:
https://football-italia.net/mancini-accused-of-receiving-hidden-payments-from-ma

Interesting factoid: "Roberto Mancini" is an anagram of "Greedy Feckin Hypocrite", if you cheat just a bit.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 23:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024