Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guilty Fox! 23:01 - Jan 30 with 3423 viewsSwanzay

According to Italian law, will the US be as favourable to extradition of Knox as they are the other way around, doubt it!?
Bearing in mind Italian law, is completely mad (6 years for retrial), much like the justice system in america really!

Guilty or not?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25941999
[Post edited 30 Jan 2014 23:04]
Guilty Fox! on 20:02 - Jan 31 with 854 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guilty Fox! on 19:26 - Jan 31 by Darran

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'm surprised by that view.

I don't give a f*ck. The principle of double jeopardy is centuries old and was there for a reason.

Poll: Tory leader

Guilty Fox! on 20:04 - Jan 31 with 845 viewsDarran

Guilty Fox! on 20:02 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

I don't give a f*ck. The principle of double jeopardy is centuries old and was there for a reason.

Good God why so angry?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guilty Fox! on 20:09 - Jan 31 with 842 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guilty Fox! on 20:04 - Jan 31 by Darran

Good God why so angry?

Angry? I'm watching the tennis. I couldn't be less angry if I was sitting on a Barbados beach sipping a cold beer mun.

Poll: Tory leader

Guilty Fox! on 20:11 - Jan 31 with 840 viewsDarran

Guilty Fox! on 20:09 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

Angry? I'm watching the tennis. I couldn't be less angry if I was sitting on a Barbados beach sipping a cold beer mun.

That's ok then.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guilty Fox! on 21:04 - Jan 31 with 812 viewsDavillin

Guilty Fox! on 19:13 - Jan 31 by exiledclaseboy

As I understand it, she hasn't been tried for the same crime twice. She was tried, convicted, the guilty verdict was set aside on appeal then on this latest appeal the original guilty verdict was reinstated. Could be wrong on that though and if there have been two separate trials.

On a related note, I'm a big fan of a constitutional protection against "double jeopardy". We got rid of that here some years ago, sadly.

In the States, double jeopardy attaches immediately when the first jury is sworn in, regardless of the ultimate outcome. An appeals court can set aside a guilty verdict for cause shown, or grant a new trial. However ->

The prosecution cannot appeal a not guilty verdict. The defendant can appeal a guilty verdict.

Italy is wrong on both rules.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Guilty Fox! on 21:09 - Jan 31 with 806 viewsDavillin

Guilty Fox! on 19:16 - Jan 31 by Lohengrin

But if new and utterly damning evidence comes to light, Clase, do you think it's right that somebody can get off Scot free?

It's the duty of the prosecution to bring a criminal case to trial will all of the evidence. If evidence favourable to the prosecution comes to light after the first trial is concluded with a verdict, that's their fault.

It can happen that if new evidence in favour of the defendant comes available, he can appeal on that basis. Usually a tough row to hoe, however.

There's a limit on how many times the prosecution can come up with new evidence - ONE. If this rule were not the case, an unscrupulous prosecutor could secretly hold some evidence back in case he loses.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2014 21:11]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Guilty Fox! on 21:48 - Jan 31 with 787 viewsMan_Jolby

Guilty Fox! on 17:51 - Jan 31 by dgt73

There would not have been any new evidence submitted, because this was not a retrial.

Bollocks.

Poll: Should use of E-cigs be permitted inside the Liberty on match days?

Guilty Fox! on 06:48 - Feb 1 with 746 viewsorion3016

Get her back to Italy, she did it
She thinks she's untouchable

Be over there now after

Login to get fewer ads

Guilty Fox! on 10:33 - Feb 1 with 714 viewsLord_Bony

Guilty Fox! on 09:17 - Jan 31 by Baker

*puts name forward*

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Guilty Fox! on 11:20 - Feb 1 with 683 viewsPhaedrus

I read a book about this case a year or so after the initial conviction. The thing that stays in my mind was the fact that she knew details, and let them slip in one of her interviews, about the crime scene that no could have known unless they were there. I don't recall the exact details. Also she implicated an obviously innocent man just to give herself an alibi. Those aren't the actions of a decent human being.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024