Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" 23:43 - Feb 1 with 4113 viewsJackFish

...I'm still not seeing the part where he won the ball?
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 23:44 - Feb 1 with 3145 viewsDarran

Nor me.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 23:47 - Feb 1 with 3123 viewsinspector

theres one angle where you just see him scrape the ball with his studs.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 23:49 - Feb 1 with 3101 viewsJackFish

Was that before or after he'd cleared out Bony?

Having seen the red card again I've got no sympathy for Carrol, he's taken a big swing with his elbow there.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 00:05 - Feb 2 with 3020 viewsWarwickHunt

Came in from the side and got a touch. Not a penalty.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 00:15 - Feb 2 with 2969 viewsLeonisGod

You can see it on HD
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 00:18 - Feb 2 with 2961 viewsjack_lord

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 00:05 - Feb 2 by WarwickHunt

Came in from the side and got a touch. Not a penalty.

I was wondering about this, it was the thinnest possible of touches and was nailed on penalty otherwise.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 00:48 - Feb 2 with 2902 viewsCatullus

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 00:15 - Feb 2 by LeonisGod

You can see it on HD

Yep, took two replays though!!

And Carroll's card was for intent I think. Maybe would have been yellow if Chico hadn't given such a determined (if disgraceful) performance!!

If only we'd put as much effort in as Tomkins st al.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 08:46 - Feb 2 with 2733 viewscaerleon_jack

Touching the ball means nothing - if you have to foul the guy to get to the ball, it's a foul. Collins put in a similar tackle 5 minutes later, but outside the box and a freekick was given.

Also no sympathy for Carroll. He meant to hit Chico, he was just unlucky that a) Chico was on his knees at the time, and b) it was Chico

Insert something witty here

Login to get fewer ads

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 08:55 - Feb 2 with 2705 viewslatchford

Penalty and red at that stage and we'd have had three points I have no doubt.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:02 - Feb 2 with 2680 viewsjohnlangy

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 23:47 - Feb 1 by inspector

theres one angle where you just see him scrape the ball with his studs.

Exactly. He got the ball first, unfortunately.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:04 - Feb 2 with 2665 viewsshandyjack

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 08:46 - Feb 2 by caerleon_jack

Touching the ball means nothing - if you have to foul the guy to get to the ball, it's a foul. Collins put in a similar tackle 5 minutes later, but outside the box and a freekick was given.

Also no sympathy for Carroll. He meant to hit Chico, he was just unlucky that a) Chico was on his knees at the time, and b) it was Chico

correct on all 3 points

Poll: Expectation for the season

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:06 - Feb 2 with 2657 viewsAnotherJohn

It was a difficult one to call and not having had the chance to see many replays I'm still not sure. My first impression though that the defender misses the ball completely with his first lunge but then scrapes his stud on the ball as it bounces back up off the ground. It was also my impression that Tomkins made contact with Bony in between those events, and if he did then it was a penalty kick. I don't blame the ref as I think it could have gone either way, but at the same time we are not getting our fair share of these 50/50 calls.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:08 - Feb 2 with 2651 viewsSkaFace

BT mentioned before kick off that Webb hasn't given a penalty yet. I saw it in real time a thought it was a penalty, even in the replay it took a couple of times to see the slightest of touches to change the direction of the ball but the full force on Bony's knee first. Must be a foul if you take the player before or after you supposedly get the ball.

There wasn't a big appeal from our players though, unlike the sending off.
(No subject) on 09:15 - Feb 2 with 2621 viewsAnotherJohn

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:08 - Feb 2 by SkaFace

BT mentioned before kick off that Webb hasn't given a penalty yet. I saw it in real time a thought it was a penalty, even in the replay it took a couple of times to see the slightest of touches to change the direction of the ball but the full force on Bony's knee first. Must be a foul if you take the player before or after you supposedly get the ball.

I think if he makes contact with the player after touching the ball it is not a pen, while the reverse is a penalty.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2014 9:15]
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:17 - Feb 2 with 2595 viewsPhil_S

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:08 - Feb 2 by SkaFace

Which probably suggests they thought it wasn't penalty?
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 11:17 - Feb 2 with 2417 viewsyescomeon

Though it was a stone waller. The only reason I can imagine the ref didn't give it is he saw the change of direction of the ball and assumed that Tomkins made contact with the ball. Where is the advantage to the attacker?

Upthecity!

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 11:23 - Feb 2 with 2404 viewsjacksinceever

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 08:55 - Feb 2 by latchford

Penalty and red at that stage and we'd have had three points I have no doubt.

I think it was a penalty and the ref was yards away. No excuse for him not giving it. If the defender did get the slightest of touches the ref couldn't have seen it and even if he did Tomkins took Bony out first.
We still didn't deserve anything out of the game mind but as you say may have been a different outcome
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 11:30 - Feb 2 with 2374 viewsZut_Alors

They say each game has to be judged equally, but I did wonder whether that Danny Rose tackle played its part. Webb is a strange ref, he's great with the players but his reluctance to make big calls is questionable. This one, however, if it had been Ash sliding in for that one and a pen had been given, there would be plenty complaining. I thought it was a good tackle after seeing the replay back.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 11:50 - Feb 2 with 2336 viewsDevz00

It was never a penalty. Move on.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 12:11 - Feb 2 with 2297 viewsFlashberryjack

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 09:04 - Feb 2 by shandyjack

correct on all 3 points

Agree

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 12:12 - Feb 2 with 2295 viewsjacksinceever

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 11:50 - Feb 2 by Devz00

It was never a penalty. Move on.

It was a penalty. And if we all moved on instead of offering our opinions this board would be pretty dull
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 19:38 - Feb 2 with 2110 viewsbargoedjack

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 12:12 - Feb 2 by jacksinceever

It was a penalty. And if we all moved on instead of offering our opinions this board would be pretty dull

Watching it from near the corner flag, it was hard to see exactly what happened. Watching it from Webb's position, you would probably assume that the defender had got the ball from the change of ball direction.

Watching from the goalkeeper's position, from Bony's shoes and the TV replay, it was a stonewall penalty. Tomkins takes out Bony from the side, Bony's foot as he is knocked sends the ball off to his left - obvious pen from there.

Result of it all - instead of being 1-0 up against 10 men, who would then have to chase the game and leave gaps for us to exploit, we lose 2-0 as they give up the wings and plant 9 men inside their D trying to hit us on the occasional counter.

Having said all that, we seemed to lack any sort of clue about how to defend Carroll (and deal with his wrestling technique and height) and also no clue about how to break down 10 "Bigger boys" who pack their spine.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 19:50 - Feb 2 with 2085 viewsploppy

Wasn't a pen for me. It looked like Tomkins just got the tiniest of touches. Now, if Bony and been a bit more cute and lined himself up to take the shot with his left foot, Tomkins would have had to take him out to get anywhere near the ball.
"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 19:59 - Feb 2 with 2058 viewsoldcob

Webb felt a bit guilty about not awarding penalty. He thought he would even it up by sending off Carrol. If he had given the penalty Carrol would have had no more that a yellow. Anyone believing this isn't how refs minds works is kidding their selves.

"What a tackle by James Tomkins" on 20:23 - Feb 2 with 2008 viewsGrandPrix

One replay clearly shows Tomkins deflecting the ball in a different direction before touching Bony. No pen for me either

Good times become good memories......bad times become lessons

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024