Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some football facts ... 12:03 - Feb 5 with 1471 viewsQuientus

I'm surprised that Laudrup was sacked at this point, but I guess it was foreseeable ... However it looks alot like a panic-move ... And in some ways the results of a board director who wants to affirm his power i.e telling the public that he is still the one "calling the shots" ...

Some football facts for you fans;

In the 2011-12 season Swansea (under Rodgers) faced in the PL;

Arsenal (h) 3-2 (a) 0-1
Man United (h) 0-1 (a) 0-2
Man City (h) 1-0 (a) 0-4
Everton (h) 0-2 (a) 0-1
Tottenham (h) 1-1 (a) 1-3
Liverpool (h) 1-0 (a) 0-0
Chelsea (h) 1-1 (a) 1-4

Totalling 12 points against these opponents
Finishing 11th with 12 W / 11 D / 15 L / 44-51 / 47 points
Carling Cup - Eliminated in Round 2
FA Cup - Eliminated in 4th round Proper

In the 2012-13 season (under Laudrup):

Arsenal (h) 0-2 (a) 2-0
Man United (h) 1-1 (a) 1-2
Man City (h) 0-0 (a) 0-1
Everton (h) 0-3 (a) 0-0
Tottenham (h) 1-2 (a) 0-1
Liverpool (h) 0-0 (a) 0-5
Chelsea (h) 1-1 (a) 0-2

Totalling 8 points against these opponents
Finishing 9th with 11 W / 13 D / 14 L / 47-51 / 46 points
Carling Cup - Winner
FA Cup - Eliminated 3rd Round Proper

In the 2013-14 season (so far with almost half the squad injured up until the sacking):

Arsenal (h) 1-2 (a) tbd
Man United (h) 1-4 (a) 0-2
Man City (h) 2-3 (a) 0-3
Everton (h) 1-2 (a) tbd
Tottenham (h) 1-3 (a) 0-1
Liverpool (h) 2-2 (a) tbd
Chelsea (h) tbd (a) 0-1

Totalling 1 points against these opponents
Currently 12th with 6 W / 6 D / 12 L / 29-35 / 24 points
Carling Cup - Eliminated in Round 3
FA Cup - STILL contending
STILL contending in the EL (facing Napoli in 2 Play off matches for a place in the 1/8)

Summary:

Arsenal (h) 1 win/0 draw/2 Lost (a) 1/0/1
Man United (h) 0 /1/2 (a) 0/0/3
Man City (h) 1/1/1 (a) 0/0/3
Everton (h) 0/0/3 (a) 0/1/1
Tottenham (h) 0/1/2 (a) 0/0/3
Liverpool (h) 1/2/0 (a) 0/1/1
Chelsea (h) 0/2/0 (a) 0/0/3

Yes Swansea has been in a very bad bunch recently ...
Yes Swansea has NOT been playing as well as "expected" ...
Yes Swansea has NOT been scoring as much ...
Yes Swansea "only" has 2 points to a relagation spot ...

However look at the opponents they have been facing, and look at the stats against these opponents from the past 3 years...

There is only 6 points difference between the 11th and 20th place in the PL this year at this point ...

Also consider the amount of injuries to the primary players in the starting line-up ...

This sacking still has me scratching my head ... - What is it that HJ (the board) is wanting ? Winning the PL ??? Because winning a trophy and still being able to contend with a diminished squad, in 2 Cups aswell as still having a good chance to stay in the PL seems not to be good enough ?

Some football facts ... on 12:12 - Feb 5 with 1425 viewsScoobyjack

While your facts are facts. Since the Kuban home game I have felt that we have been a rudderless ship.
IMO we have lost our style and are have not been playing to our strengths.
It has felt a lot like the end of Sousas reign.
I am both gutted and relieved at ML leaving.
I left the ground after beating Fulham convinced we are in relegation trouble.
I will back the board 100%
Some football facts ... on 12:13 - Feb 5 with 1418 viewsCatullus

So we took 12 points, then 8 points and so far this season ONE point off the big guns.
Well that doesn't look like we've got worse, much, does it..........

Seeing as our form has been poor for blooming nearly 12 months, not so much a knee jerk panic reaction as a patient and considered choice brought on by unacceptable conditions both old and new!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Some football facts ... on 12:27 - Feb 5 with 1364 viewsBloodyhills

I don't think it was a panic move at all, just the realisation hitting home that if things had carried on as they were then relegation beckoned.

I think we will now at least fight to stay in the Prem rather than sleep walking into the abyss, I mean the Championship!

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Some football facts ... on 12:30 - Feb 5 with 1339 viewsClinton

Some football facts ... on 12:12 - Feb 5 by Scoobyjack

While your facts are facts. Since the Kuban home game I have felt that we have been a rudderless ship.
IMO we have lost our style and are have not been playing to our strengths.
It has felt a lot like the end of Sousas reign.
I am both gutted and relieved at ML leaving.
I left the ground after beating Fulham convinced we are in relegation trouble.
I will back the board 100%

100% this.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Some football facts ... on 12:59 - Feb 5 with 1296 viewsQuientus

Some football facts ... on 12:13 - Feb 5 by Catullus

So we took 12 points, then 8 points and so far this season ONE point off the big guns.
Well that doesn't look like we've got worse, much, does it..........

Seeing as our form has been poor for blooming nearly 12 months, not so much a knee jerk panic reaction as a patient and considered choice brought on by unacceptable conditions both old and new!

It would only seem as if Swansea was looking to have gone from bad to worse, if you look at the stats as is, without context ... I picked those teams out, because those are (most) of the teams Swansea has been facing recently in a row in the PL ...

Keep in mind almost all those listed teams have used significant amounts of cash to reinforce their squads from season to season ... Amounts of cash Swansea couldn't even begin to dream about ...

Swansea's from hasn't been "poor blooming" for nearly a year as you state, however, most would have taken into consideration competing in both the EL aswell as the PL would put a strain on a rather small squad such as Swanseas, that relies heavily on their starting 11 ...

I would consider it a panic reaction, since the board and Laudrup has been "at odds" about reinforcing the squad ever since last year ... especially regarding what type of players ...

The overall census among (most) board members is alluded to be that if a player can play in the Premiership, they are good enough for Swansea ... whereas their (former now sacked) manager had a different opinion ...

Point being about listing those stats is that most of those 7 teams are almost always competing for top 6 in the PL year in and year out (with the exception of Man United this season ...) and to expect much more than those 12 points they managed to get in the 2011-12 season is wishful thinking ... - Not saying that Swansea should concede every game, however ... But just look at those squads and the players, then compare them to Swanseas squads and those players Swansea are able to afford/attract ...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024