Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can I ask... 13:49 - Jun 5 with 1738 viewsCTB184

Why do (some) Welsh people dislike the English so much? And vice-versa...

Now I understand this is clearly going to be a heated debate but some actual answers would be nice.

I have lived in England all my life but have Welsh roots. To be honest, I just consider myself British with mixed roots. Looking at history, we all have a bit of various nations in all of us. I love both Welsh and English people and on the whole think they're really nice and very friendly. Obviously, there are some who aren't so nice and seem to hate the English with a passion. There are also English people who equally hate the Welsh (for no apparent reason). Strangely enough, as someone with an English accent, I find the Welsh accent really nice to listen to and makes Welsh folk seem far more friendly.

Now I'm not just talking football here. I'm talking general people across the two countries whether they follow football or not. Swansea City play in an English league and have an English manger and English players yet there's no hate towards them?

And I know it's not just English-Welsh relations. There are obviously other people with hateful thoughts to other nations too (such as the Scottish or French).

No hating on me please, I'm just asking a question and would like some food for thought!

Poll: Which two players do currently believe are the best Centre Midfield pairing?

Can I ask... on 13:51 - Jun 5 with 1725 viewsDarran

Great idea for a thread Dude.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Can I ask... on 13:52 - Jun 5 with 1720 viewsCTB184

Can I ask... on 13:51 - Jun 5 by Darran

Great idea for a thread Dude.

Helps spice up the day a little! ;)
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 13:53]

Poll: Which two players do currently believe are the best Centre Midfield pairing?

Can I ask... on 13:55 - Jun 5 with 1710 viewsLeonisGod

The welsh are just jealous because their women are short fatties:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-girls-stand-out-shortest-2382

Classy:
"Researchers from Prima magazine, who carried out the study, said Welsh women's shorter-than-average height and larger bottoms may be because they are more likely to eat sausages, burgers and kebabs."

Can I ask... on 14:05 - Jun 5 with 1690 viewsBovi

Submerging Welsh villages for English people to get water

Dictating to us from Westminster what to do

Treason of the blue books

The list goes on and on and on but I'd be here all fcuking week. If you say anything against someone' who's black/Asian/ Muslim/ Hindu etc etc (delete as appropriate) then you're called a racist, say something anti Welsh but that's ok. Fcuk them I say, got no time for fcuking Ingerlund and the vast majority of cu-nts that live there. There are some decent ones but not many

What's wrong with saying Mong's ?

Can I ask... on 14:07 - Jun 5 with 1687 viewsLord_Bony

It s historical rivalry that goes back to the days of Owain Glyndwr.the welsh name of England is Y Lloegr which means lost land of the Celts.

All that killing and violence left a slight aftertaste hundreds of years later,plus the fact the welsh language was surpressed by the English overlords and people treated unkindly.

These days the rivalry is friendly and is played out on the sports field not the battlefield.
Personally, I have nothing whatsoever against the English or even modern day Germans.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 14:10]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Can I ask... on 14:17 - Jun 5 with 1653 viewsCTB184

Can I ask... on 14:07 - Jun 5 by Lord_Bony

It s historical rivalry that goes back to the days of Owain Glyndwr.the welsh name of England is Y Lloegr which means lost land of the Celts.

All that killing and violence left a slight aftertaste hundreds of years later,plus the fact the welsh language was surpressed by the English overlords and people treated unkindly.

These days the rivalry is friendly and is played out on the sports field not the battlefield.
Personally, I have nothing whatsoever against the English or even modern day Germans.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 14:10]

Yeah, the Welsh language is one of the 'truer' languages of Britain whereas English originally comes from Europe (Germany mostly I believe). That's going back hundreds and hundreds of years to the Saxons and other invasions though. (My history is a little shaky).

Mostly today it's just hating on the government in London I find. What the Welsh (and Scottish and Irish) struggle to understand though is that anyone outside of London hates London politics, doesn't matter which part of the UK they're from.

Can I ask... on 14:51 - Jun 5 with 1616 viewstreboethjack

I think it's a mixture of things. The obvious one being history such as battles and trying to destroy our language etc. I also believe another factor to consider is the proximity of the 2 countries, think of it as a rivalry similar to the way Swansea and Cardiff dislike each other as cities.
I have many English friends who are lovely people and I have also met English people who think they can look down on us Welsh so I guess it's swings and roundabouts. Although I am born and raised in Swansea, I have some English blood in me whilst I am also a fluent Welsh speaker so am a proud Welshman.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Can I ask... on 15:04 - Jun 5 with 1599 viewsthejackarmy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britons_(Celtic_people)

Where it all started, no sign of any 'English'

come visit us at https://thejackarmy.net

Login to get fewer ads

Can I ask... on 15:04 - Jun 5 with 1599 viewsjackportis

Dissapointed that a racial thread has made it on this site. But for me its the arrogance and smugnus of the rugby. There is a poor warmth with the english. Secondly what do you class as english? Muslims, asians, chinese, indian. Not sure what the identity is. Thats the reality of england. Oh hang on those that have to advertise this will soon have plebby car flags.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Can I ask... on 15:19 - Jun 5 with 1587 viewsCTB184

Can I ask... on 15:04 - Jun 5 by jackportis

Dissapointed that a racial thread has made it on this site. But for me its the arrogance and smugnus of the rugby. There is a poor warmth with the english. Secondly what do you class as english? Muslims, asians, chinese, indian. Not sure what the identity is. Thats the reality of england. Oh hang on those that have to advertise this will soon have plebby car flags.

There may be poor warmth from the English but equally there is negativity from the Welsh (just an observation, not a personal opinion). I basically started this thread due to the recent comments made on this site regarding some comments towards the England football team. Whilst there's no issue with most, some comments from people stating they won't support England (for whatever reason they choose) is followed by obscenity. I don't care which country people support but they can at least be nice about it. Many people often follow two. There are currently some in Swansea supporting the Ivory Coast because of Bony yet I doubt they would have supported them if he didn't play for Swansea.

As for the "what do you class as English", that just comes down to a culture identity issue. It's definitely become a more widespread conversation in recent years with the tolerance towards immigration dwindling. Being English or British is definied as following the values and proper cultures of the country. Definitely a complex subject with divided opinions I'm sure. If you are born in a country but do not follow their culture and uphold their values, would you consider yourself part of that country as you were born there?

Can I ask... on 15:25 - Jun 5 with 1579 viewsllangyfelach

Can I just say that I think everyone is lovely, and I bet you all have smashing blouses on

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

Can I ask... on 15:34 - Jun 5 with 1562 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I think the Welsh people who have a strong hatred of England usually live in some sort of poverty and blame the English for it.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Can I ask... on 16:10 - Jun 5 with 1527 viewsJackhero

Born a Jack, raised in England, Welsh through and through. I have a very strong English accent. So I have quite good first hand experience of the hatred some of my fellow countrymen have of the English.
I get judged a lot for my accent and to be honest it's very tedious sometimes trying to explain to those people that I actually am Welsh. Usually they are half wits and usually I meet them in the pub on a match day. Says it all really as most people are very nice.
I couldn't actually answer the OP's original question of why, but it's amazing that these people that are quite rude to me without knowing my history have actually lived as long as they have.
One of the worst offenders is a distant acquaintance I sometimes run into on match days, it's lucky I'm a passive person as other people, my own brother being one would have knocked the bloke out years ago as he's quite openly a hater of anything that's not Swansea..................yet he was born in Cardiff!

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024