Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gomis and the 80k a week - 08:03 - Jun 23 with 6906 viewsParlay

Lots of people flabbergasted that we can or would pay so much.

This is a lad we were going to pay £10 million for last year and a reported 45k a week and not many batted an eyelid.

If we get him for free and pay him 80k a week over 3 years then we are essentially getting him for £5m and paying him 45k a week. Same situation as last year but for half price.

The only concern i have is the impact on the other players. But as professionals they must understand that someone who has taken a personal risk to run their contracts down will naturally be getting paid more as a result. Just the way it is.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2014 10:07]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 08:15 - Jun 23 with 3747 viewsraynor94

With respect why start a new thread when there are already 3 running, it just clogs up the board

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 08:22 - Jun 23 with 3709 viewsParlay

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 08:15 - Jun 23 by raynor94

With respect why start a new thread when there are already 3 running, it just clogs up the board

Respect accepted.

Dont have time to read every thread.

Forum celebrity

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 09:55 - Jun 23 with 3481 viewsJackoBoostardo

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 08:22 - Jun 23 by Parlay

Respect accepted.

Dont have time to read every thread.

Don't have to read each thread to notice the thread topics from the forum front page.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 10:01 - Jun 23 with 3447 viewsParlay

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 09:55 - Jun 23 by JackoBoostardo

Don't have to read each thread to notice the thread topics from the forum front page.

No topic heading mentioned Gomis and his 80k wage. The only thread i saw was Gomis and Gylfi replacing Michu and Bony.

Im sure you will get over it.

This is a far better thread and much more informative. Enjoy it.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2014 10:02]

Forum celebrity

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 10:07 - Jun 23 with 3413 viewstomdickharry

I've been saying the same thing for ages but nobody in the corridors of power on P Swans cares to do anything about it ie merged threads.
Gomis and the 80k a week - on 10:08 - Jun 23 with 3398 viewsParlay

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 10:07 - Jun 23 by tomdickharry

I've been saying the same thing for ages but nobody in the corridors of power on P Swans cares to do anything about it ie merged threads.

Maybe you should take it to parliament, i can definitely see the crushing importance of it. You are talking to the wrong people mate, take your fight all the way.

Forum celebrity

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 10:15 - Jun 23 with 3357 viewsUplandsJack

I agree with what I've read from a few others in that I think we will pay him a signing on fee of say £5 million up front then £45K a week over 3 years... It all ends up the same but keeps a lid on the wage structure/ cap in place. We are well known for not paying big basic salaries but we offer bigger bonuses than some others. Again enabling control on salary.
At the end of the day I see this as good business. If we keep him 1-2 years and he does well, we will sell him on and make a good profit on him like we will no doubt do with Bony hopefully NEXT summer!!
Gomis and the 80k a week - on 10:53 - Jun 23 with 3261 viewsicecoldjack

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 10:15 - Jun 23 by UplandsJack

I agree with what I've read from a few others in that I think we will pay him a signing on fee of say £5 million up front then £45K a week over 3 years... It all ends up the same but keeps a lid on the wage structure/ cap in place. We are well known for not paying big basic salaries but we offer bigger bonuses than some others. Again enabling control on salary.
At the end of the day I see this as good business. If we keep him 1-2 years and he does well, we will sell him on and make a good profit on him like we will no doubt do with Bony hopefully NEXT summer!!

Agree 100% with this.

Im sure bony would be on something similar too, was reported that he was on 65k a week but when you consider a signing on bonus it fits that the board said his wages were within our structure.

It begs the question of what ash williams wants to RE sign his contract , he must be asking for a serious wedge of dosh up front !
Login to get fewer ads

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:06 - Jun 23 with 3222 viewsUxbridge

Got to love the monopoly money threads!

I would always worry about smashing our wage structure and paying someone double what everyone else earns. Especially for someone who is of a similar level, at best, as someone we've already got. Need to tread carefully.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:11 - Jun 23 with 3195 viewsDrizzy

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:06 - Jun 23 by Uxbridge

I would always worry about smashing our wage structure and paying someone double what everyone else earns. Especially for someone who is of a similar level, at best, as someone we've already got. Need to tread carefully.

Spot on.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:14 - Jun 23 with 3178 viewsParlay

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:06 - Jun 23 by Uxbridge

Monopoly money? You do realise we do pay our players actual money right?

The lad is a free transfer, what we save in transfer fee is usually split between club and player. Just what happens.

Forum celebrity

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:25 - Jun 23 with 3131 viewsUxbridge

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:14 - Jun 23 by Parlay

Monopoly money? You do realise we do pay our players actual money right?

The lad is a free transfer, what we save in transfer fee is usually split between club and player. Just what happens.

Seriously? Blimey. How times have changed ....

This is very dodgy ground. You can't have players earning double the rest of the squad ... particularly if any of the players have clauses in their contracts that require the club to match the high earners. And what happens if we're relegated ... do we want someone earning £80k on the wage bill when we're playing Brentford? With regards to paying a massive signing-on fee to offset some of those wages then that may be an option however again that sets greater expectations when coming to contract renewals with other players. And that's not getting into the issues of whether the player might want both the sort of transfer fee we would have had to pay last year plus the massive wages, plus just how big that lump sum would have to be to make his basic wages comparable with everyone else, oh and the lack of resale value for a 29 year old after a couple of years.

We don't know the sums Gomis wants. I suspect those reported are exaggerated somewhat. However the figures reported are mildly terrifying particularly if next season goes badly.

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:41 - Jun 23 with 3074 viewsnantywatcher

This is a great thread, but I think it is rather naive to think that the board have not looked at it from every angle imaginable. You need a business degree for each and evrey transfer deal nowadays.
Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:41 - Jun 23 with 3070 viewsLeonisGod

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:25 - Jun 23 by Uxbridge

Seriously? Blimey. How times have changed ....

This is very dodgy ground. You can't have players earning double the rest of the squad ... particularly if any of the players have clauses in their contracts that require the club to match the high earners. And what happens if we're relegated ... do we want someone earning £80k on the wage bill when we're playing Brentford? With regards to paying a massive signing-on fee to offset some of those wages then that may be an option however again that sets greater expectations when coming to contract renewals with other players. And that's not getting into the issues of whether the player might want both the sort of transfer fee we would have had to pay last year plus the massive wages, plus just how big that lump sum would have to be to make his basic wages comparable with everyone else, oh and the lack of resale value for a 29 year old after a couple of years.

We don't know the sums Gomis wants. I suspect those reported are exaggerated somewhat. However the figures reported are mildly terrifying particularly if next season goes badly.

^^ this. With bells on.
Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:46 - Jun 23 with 3050 viewsUxbridge

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:41 - Jun 23 by nantywatcher

This is a great thread, but I think it is rather naive to think that the board have not looked at it from every angle imaginable. You need a business degree for each and evrey transfer deal nowadays.

IMO it's more naive to think everything will be fine because someone else must have checked to make sure it'll all be fine.

Am sure the club plan for various contingencies. However, has been said on here often enough, the moment we stop questioning is the moment we're no better than those sheep down the road.

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:50 - Jun 23 with 3042 viewsJackoBoostardo

So much bullsh]t and supposition here, people are missing the point.

If we are in for these players - then clearly this is part of a bigger plan. No matter what you think of the amounts involved, if the deal goes ahead and he becomes a Swansea player, then how is this necessarily a bad thing?

Nothing (money wise) slips through the net when it comes to our very own astute banker Huw Jenkins - if he approves the purchase, then it's clear he has this in his plan to do so. Everyone here has no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, and we can only guess - despite how knowledgeable or ITK you claim to be.

We all trust Huw Jenkins, and to a point the rest of the club's board. I see no reason to change this philosophy now!
[Post edited 23 Jun 2014 11:56]

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:50 - Jun 23 with 3042 viewswaynekerr55

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:46 - Jun 23 by Uxbridge

IMO it's more naive to think everything will be fine because someone else must have checked to make sure it'll all be fine.

Am sure the club plan for various contingencies. However, has been said on here often enough, the moment we stop questioning is the moment we're no better than those sheep down the road.

^^^^^

Bang

On

The

Money

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:56 - Jun 23 with 3016 viewsJackSomething

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:50 - Jun 23 by JackoBoostardo

So much bullsh]t and supposition here, people are missing the point.

If we are in for these players - then clearly this is part of a bigger plan. No matter what you think of the amounts involved, if the deal goes ahead and he becomes a Swansea player, then how is this necessarily a bad thing?

Nothing (money wise) slips through the net when it comes to our very own astute banker Huw Jenkins - if he approves the purchase, then it's clear he has this in his plan to do so. Everyone here has no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, and we can only guess - despite how knowledgeable or ITK you claim to be.

We all trust Huw Jenkins, and to a point the rest of the club's board. I see no reason to change this philosophy now!
[Post edited 23 Jun 2014 11:56]

Playing Devil's Advocate, but if 'nothing (money wise) slips through the net' with Huw, then how do we explain the payoff ML has received?

As Ux says, our board have done an amazing job, but we need to keep questioning when we feel it's necessary. I appreciate some go overboard and it's annoying, but better that than unquestioning obedience.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:57 - Jun 23 with 3010 viewsJackoBoostardo

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:56 - Jun 23 by JackSomething

Playing Devil's Advocate, but if 'nothing (money wise) slips through the net' with Huw, then how do we explain the payoff ML has received?

As Ux says, our board have done an amazing job, but we need to keep questioning when we feel it's necessary. I appreciate some go overboard and it's annoying, but better that than unquestioning obedience.

And what exactly was the pay-off ML received?

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:01 - Jun 23 with 2982 viewsJackSomething

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 11:57 - Jun 23 by JackoBoostardo

And what exactly was the pay-off ML received?

Well it's undisclosed isn't it? Reading between the lines though, it seems pretty obvious that a fair amount changed hands.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:06 - Jun 23 with 2950 viewsJackoBoostardo

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:01 - Jun 23 by JackSomething

Well it's undisclosed isn't it? Reading between the lines though, it seems pretty obvious that a fair amount changed hands.

Maybe - but going back to my point, all we can do is guess at this stage... and more often than not it's negative guessing.

Huw has his head firmly screwed on when it comes to the club - he's done a great job so far and I trust his ability to know gold nuggets from sh[t nuggets.

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:10 - Jun 23 with 2926 viewsraynor94

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:06 - Jun 23 by JackoBoostardo

Maybe - but going back to my point, all we can do is guess at this stage... and more often than not it's negative guessing.

Huw has his head firmly screwed on when it comes to the club - he's done a great job so far and I trust his ability to know gold nuggets from sh[t nuggets.

But surely monk is the man who knows his nuggets, huw is just the negotiator here, isn't he?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:17 - Jun 23 with 2882 viewsDrizzy

You've got to laugh when grossly overpaying average players suddenly shows a lack of ambition.

If only we were as ambitious and daring as QPR.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:45 - Jun 23 with 2781 viewsParlay

So instead of being happy paying £10m for him last year. We are now unhappy because we are getting him for £5m with the fee going to him instead of the club and the reason for the concern is financal?

Only on planetswans.

Forum celebrity

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:50 - Jun 23 with 2753 viewsTom1912

Gomis and the 80k a week - on 12:45 - Jun 23 by Parlay

So instead of being happy paying £10m for him last year. We are now unhappy because we are getting him for £5m with the fee going to him instead of the club and the reason for the concern is financal?

Only on planetswans.

It's not the financial outlay to Gomis that's the issue, it's the long term affects of giving a player a base salary that high.

Say Bony is still here at the end of next season and we try to re-negotiate his £40k (or whatever he's on) per week knowing Gomis is on a base salary of £75k, he's only going to want a higher figure.

You operate a wage structure to keep things in control.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024