Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smart tv's 09:43 - Jun 24 with 2465 views1jack

Just bought one of these and was wondering, if I connect to t'internet can I get all sky channels, therefore negating my need to pay for sky and the TV license? If so, does anyone know what the quality is like and what's the best reasonably priced way of connecting to t'internet, Tv does not have built in wifi. Cheers
Smart tv's on 10:16 - Jun 24 with 2413 viewsfbreath

Based on your description it doesn't sound very smart

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Smart tv's on 10:23 - Jun 24 with 2408 viewscosy121

Smart tv's on 10:16 - Jun 24 by fbreath

Based on your description it doesn't sound very smart

pmsl
Smart tv's on 10:56 - Jun 24 with 2380 viewsJackoBoostardo

To answer your question (as I have one myself):

By connecting to the internet you can use Skype, view BBC Iplayer and download a variety of apps available through the manufacturer.

You must pay for a TV licence regardless of whether you connect this up or not - your details are taken when paying for the TV by the retailer.

You can of course receive Sky TV, but you will need to pay the subscription and connect the TV to the set-top box much the same as any other TV.

Smart TV's are good, but if you want to receive free TV then I'd suggest getting a media box (MX box). For £65 (one-off) you connect this to your router (must have fairly good speed for this to work properly) .

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Smart tv's on 11:21 - Jun 24 with 2362 viewsBLAZE

Smart tv's on 10:56 - Jun 24 by JackoBoostardo

To answer your question (as I have one myself):

By connecting to the internet you can use Skype, view BBC Iplayer and download a variety of apps available through the manufacturer.

You must pay for a TV licence regardless of whether you connect this up or not - your details are taken when paying for the TV by the retailer.

You can of course receive Sky TV, but you will need to pay the subscription and connect the TV to the set-top box much the same as any other TV.

Smart TV's are good, but if you want to receive free TV then I'd suggest getting a media box (MX box). For £65 (one-off) you connect this to your router (must have fairly good speed for this to work properly) .

TV license is only required for the streaming of live television. You don't need one for catch up services (BBC iPlayer etc.)

My TV is connected to a nettop PC (basically a small desktop PC). I watch all my television through the internet, mainly streams.... The down side is I don't / can't watch things live

I called TV Licensing, informed them that I have no aerial and that I don't stream live content and they were perfectly happy to make me exempt from paying TV License.

If you wanted though, you can stream BBC live through their website, as well as make use of services like SkyGo (use a friend / family members account - all the better if they have the full package, as it gives you live access to the movies and sports channels too) and TVCatchup (basically streams all freeview channels with a couple of seconds delay from realtime) to watch live content, but of course.... *I don't do that as I would be breaking the law*....

Having a set up like mine is frustrating at times because it's not as fluid as normal television - you can't just easily flick through the channels when you have 5 minutes to waste, but thanks to services like Netflix I'm saving an absolute fortune and still have plenty of things to watch
Smart tv's on 12:14 - Jun 24 with 2326 viewsJackoBoostardo

Smart tv's on 11:21 - Jun 24 by BLAZE

TV license is only required for the streaming of live television. You don't need one for catch up services (BBC iPlayer etc.)

My TV is connected to a nettop PC (basically a small desktop PC). I watch all my television through the internet, mainly streams.... The down side is I don't / can't watch things live

I called TV Licensing, informed them that I have no aerial and that I don't stream live content and they were perfectly happy to make me exempt from paying TV License.

If you wanted though, you can stream BBC live through their website, as well as make use of services like SkyGo (use a friend / family members account - all the better if they have the full package, as it gives you live access to the movies and sports channels too) and TVCatchup (basically streams all freeview channels with a couple of seconds delay from realtime) to watch live content, but of course.... *I don't do that as I would be breaking the law*....

Having a set up like mine is frustrating at times because it's not as fluid as normal television - you can't just easily flick through the channels when you have 5 minutes to waste, but thanks to services like Netflix I'm saving an absolute fortune and still have plenty of things to watch

of course. didn't state on mine as clearly as blaze that you don't need licence for non-live streaming, Connecting it up was intended to mean for sky tv etc...

nice post blaze.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024