Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does The Past exist? 18:13 - Jul 31 with 7278 viewsDavillin

[I can see several logical follow-up questions if we can have a courteous and intelligent discussion of his first one.]

Does The Past exist?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Does The Past exist? on 21:14 - Aug 1 with 880 viewscontroversial_jack

Does The Past exist? on 14:25 - Aug 1 by Liam

Yeah but we're not asking if the present exists, we're asking if the past exists.

The past exists because stuff happened before the present and there is records of the past state compared to the present (i.e. posts sent a while a go).

Simple init

The past doesn't exist as it has gone.
Does The Past exist? on 02:41 - Aug 2 with 852 viewsDavillin

Does The Past exist? on 21:14 - Aug 1 by controversial_jack

Caveat: I do not disagree with you. But doesn't this mean that Time does not exist, and can't be measured or weighed?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Does The Past exist? on 08:47 - Aug 2 with 820 viewsCottsy

Does The Past exist? on 21:14 - Aug 1 by controversial_jack

Look up at the sky at night (assuming it isn't cloudy) and you'l be looking back in time.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Does The Past exist? on 10:17 - Aug 2 with 816 viewscontroversial_jack

Does The Past exist? on 08:47 - Aug 2 by Cottsy

Look up at the sky at night (assuming it isn't cloudy) and you'l be looking back in time.

That's the speed of light hitting your eyes,not the past.
Does The Past exist? on 10:33 - Aug 2 with 806 viewsCottsy

Does The Past exist? on 10:17 - Aug 2 by controversial_jack

That's the speed of light hitting your eyes,not the past.

But the light that we see is the light that was emitted hundreds/thousands/millions/billions of years ago so the light we see is the past.

Look at the Betelgeuse star in Orion, that may no longer exist but we can still see it.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Does The Past exist? on 18:54 - Aug 6 with 736 viewscontroversial_jack

Does The Past exist? on 10:33 - Aug 2 by Cottsy

But the light that we see is the light that was emitted hundreds/thousands/millions/billions of years ago so the light we see is the past.

Look at the Betelgeuse star in Orion, that may no longer exist but we can still see it.

It's like looking at a portrait from a hundred years ago. The painting is there for all to see from a hundred years ago, but it was painted in the present not the past or in the future. Only the present exists, nothing else
Does The Past exist? on 19:51 - Aug 6 with 729 viewsCatullus

Does The Past exist? on 18:55 - Jul 31 by yescomeon

Ah, the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

As Prof Hawking postulated that we may be able to travel backwards in time, but not forwards (because it hasn't happened yet) I would say yes, it does.
But then, if you went backwards in time, you would be stuck as the future you came from wouldn't have happened yet. And if you went back past your birthdate then you wouldn't exist as you hadn't been born yet, so you couldn't be there, in the past.

It's way above my head. I'd like to think the other dimensions theory is right and that all parts of time co exist at the same time and there are billions upon billions of dimensions where every possibiltity is being played out. That would explain why the universe is expanding, because it needs room for all the new dimensions created when a decision, and all variations of that decision are made?

Maybe time is on a loop, the big bang happens and we spend billions of years going around it until the universe is destroyed, then it all happens again? In which case the past, present and the future all exist at the same time.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024