Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen 08:09 - Aug 8 with 12286 viewsPhil_S

Today's Western Mail reports that Jonathan De Guzman could almost find himself without a club for the new season with tomorrow's friendly opponents Villarreal not wanting the Dutchman for the new season and no deal in place for him to return to the Swans where he has been so successful for the past two years.

FULL STORY AT: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/35648
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 13:49 - Aug 8 with 1131 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 12:18 - Aug 8 by controversial_jack

Scouting no longer works the way it did. Players are recommended to the club, the manager doesn't have a list of players. Warwick is a touch out of date with his assertions

I think you'll find most managers have a list of players they'd like to sign in addition to whoever the scouts recommend or agents pimp out.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 13:50]
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 13:50 - Aug 8 with 1129 viewsTenkosBlondeWig

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 11:18 - Aug 8 by Zut_Alors

Because he's been a key part of the way we've played in the past couple of seasons, scores goals, keeps possession well, is tactically disciplined and seems to enjoy playing for the club. Yes, we need cover in the DM position, but passing up the chance to sign a goal scoring midfielder who just started several games for Holland at the world cup — who we know suits us — is mad IMO.

Agree totally with this

Huw must be tightening those purse strings again and hoping Villarreal gives him to us for nothing or Monk just doesn't want him

All seems rather strange

Very good player for us
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 13:57 - Aug 8 with 1109 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 12:30 - Aug 8 by MagicDaps

He wasn't bullshitting when he said he wanted his business done before the start of pre season, he wanted it done but it's not always easy to get deals done easily, especially in a World Cup year.

A manager contacts aren't needed for a club of our size, the club itself can bring players in. Gylfi Sigurdsson was a former player, but a player that Monk captained and a player that he helped us to sign. Sigurdsson is right up with the best players we've ever signed and Monk played a part in that.

Believe it or not, a lot of the targets of the club play international football, and many of those will feature at the World Cup. You've got nothing to suggest our scouting report of players like Fernandez (who wasn't a target last year), Besic and Clasie were based solely on their world cup performances, had it been Laudrup signing these players this wouldn't be mentioned yet that doesn't suit your agenda.

What about other targets we've had, Castiagnos? Payet? Van Dijk? Matthews? Naughton? I'm sure you can find something about them to belittle Monk.

Whatever way you look at it, Garry Monk is not a scout, it's not his job to identify players the club hasn't heard of. It's his job to identify which players he wants to sign, and whether you like it or not despite his inexperience in management he's been able to oversee the signings of players like Fabianski, Montero, Gomis and Sigurdsson who have been great signings.

Perhaps he shouldn't boast about his contacts in the game when it's pretty obvious from this transfer window he hasn't f*cking got any worth mentioning.

I didn't suggest they were "were based solely on their world cup performances" - read it again.

Slowly.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:00 - Aug 8 with 1093 viewsApeShit

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 13:57 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

Perhaps he shouldn't boast about his contacts in the game when it's pretty obvious from this transfer window he hasn't f*cking got any worth mentioning.

I didn't suggest they were "were based solely on their world cup performances" - read it again.

Slowly.

When he said contacts I think he meant Roberto & Brendan.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:01 - Aug 8 with 1084 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:00 - Aug 8 by ApeShit

Neither of whom would give you the shit off their shoes unless it was doing them a favour.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:10 - Aug 8 with 1041 viewsMagicDaps

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 13:57 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

Slowly.

A lot said he has no contacts, I think to those he may have surprised them with him having the influence of a player like Sigurdsson.

I don't see why you're judging a manager on his contacts when he hasn't even completed his first transfer window, but he does have connections with Everton, Liverpool, Stoke, Southampton whilst Pep Clotet has connections in Sweden and Spain.

I don't see why a manager contacts should be the be all and end all, whether he has contacts or not it doesn't change the fact that the calibre of players being brought in is higher than it had been under any other manager in our recent history.

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:12 - Aug 8 with 1039 viewsPrivate_Partz

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:00 - Aug 8 by ApeShit

I know it is two ex managers that GM holds in high esteem but I have to agree with this. These two are most certainly not in the business of doing us any favours unless they get something out if it.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:18 - Aug 8 with 1026 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:10 - Aug 8 by MagicDaps

A lot said he has no contacts, I think to those he may have surprised them with him having the influence of a player like Sigurdsson.

I don't see why you're judging a manager on his contacts when he hasn't even completed his first transfer window, but he does have connections with Everton, Liverpool, Stoke, Southampton whilst Pep Clotet has connections in Sweden and Spain.

I don't see why a manager contacts should be the be all and end all, whether he has contacts or not it doesn't change the fact that the calibre of players being brought in is higher than it had been under any other manager in our recent history.

They're not the be all and end all. Nobody expected him to have an overflowing contact book.
He should have kept schtum.

Siggy came for first team football and money. Like almost everyone else, it's one or the other or both. He's on 50k a week and one of the first names on the team sheet.
Must have needed a lot of persuading...
Login to get fewer ads

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:19 - Aug 8 with 1023 viewsMagicDaps

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:18 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

They're not the be all and end all. Nobody expected him to have an overflowing contact book.

Siggy came for first team football and money. Like almost everyone else, it's one or the other or both. He's on 50k a week and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Well considering Crystal Palace were prepared to match our bid and wages, whilst I'm sure many other clubs would have been interested in him I'm sure it did take some persuading.

However you want to put it, bringing in a player of Sigurdsson's quality is a massive coup for the club.

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:23 - Aug 8 with 1020 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:19 - Aug 8 by MagicDaps

Well considering Crystal Palace were prepared to match our bid and wages, whilst I'm sure many other clubs would have been interested in him I'm sure it did take some persuading.

However you want to put it, bringing in a player of Sigurdsson's quality is a massive coup for the club.

Beating Palace to a player is a "massive coup?" - this is our fourth season in the world's best league, it's exactly what we should be doing.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:29 - Aug 8 with 995 viewsMagicDaps

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:23 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

Beating Palace to a player is a "massive coup?" - this is our fourth season in the world's best league, it's exactly what we should be doing.

Given that the player was settled in London, then yes it is. Plenty of players would prefer to stay in London rather than to come here. It's not simply a case of beating Palace to the player, a player of his ability will have his pick of clubs all over Europe (as did Gomis and Fabianski) and he chose to come here.

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:36 - Aug 8 with 980 viewslondonlisa2001

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:18 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

he was going to be on £50k per week wherever he went given his Spurs contact though wasn't he if reports are to be believed.

Sorry but I don't understand how every player in to the club is nothing to do with the manager one year if it was the previous year? I don't think manager contacts have much to do with anything any year to be honest.

You could equally say that the players in under Laudrup were largely not through his contacts (apart from the footballing giant that was Shechter). Some of the payers played for him before, but that's only the same as Gylfi having payed with Monk before.

A lot of the 'contacts' from Spain last year turned out to be not very good to be honest .
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:36 - Aug 8 with 980 viewsUxbridge

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:23 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

Well aye, but it's still our marquee signing this summer. We won't progress beyond that being the case for quite some time.

Of all the sticks to beat Monk with, I'm not sure why you're picking this one. Recruitment isn't a one man game any more. It wasn't when Laudrup was in charge either ... and all the wild cards he seemed to pull all surprisingly seemed to have a relationship with his agent. The only player you could really argue he pulled out of his arse was Michu ... and what a player.

I'd say our recruitment has been pretty good this summer. Not quite there on the numbers yet, but quality is as high as I've seen.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:38 - Aug 8 with 972 viewslondonlisa2001

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:36 - Aug 8 by Uxbridge

Well aye, but it's still our marquee signing this summer. We won't progress beyond that being the case for quite some time.

Of all the sticks to beat Monk with, I'm not sure why you're picking this one. Recruitment isn't a one man game any more. It wasn't when Laudrup was in charge either ... and all the wild cards he seemed to pull all surprisingly seemed to have a relationship with his agent. The only player you could really argue he pulled out of his arse was Michu ... and what a player.

I'd say our recruitment has been pretty good this summer. Not quite there on the numbers yet, but quality is as high as I've seen.

Michu was offered to every club in the PL.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:41 - Aug 8 with 961 viewsUxbridge

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:38 - Aug 8 by londonlisa2001

Michu was offered to every club in the PL.

And Laudrup took the punt because he knew him. There's no point to deny him that one.

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:47 - Aug 8 with 933 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:29 - Aug 8 by MagicDaps

Given that the player was settled in London, then yes it is. Plenty of players would prefer to stay in London rather than to come here. It's not simply a case of beating Palace to the player, a player of his ability will have his pick of clubs all over Europe (as did Gomis and Fabianski) and he chose to come here.

Settled in London?

He lives in Hertfordshire and Palace's training ground is in Kent...
I'm sure a 4 hour+ round trip to training everyday would have been difficult to turn down.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:48 - Aug 8 with 928 viewsField_Of_Dreams_II

Slagging off Monk & his recruitment record after a month & a bit of a transfer window after bringing in 4 quality new signings.

You lot really are pathetic MONGS.

Go support Cardiff with your billy big b0llocks attitudes - you’ll fit right in.

Plastic Jacks with plastic viewpoints.

Poll: What would you rather see.....

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:50 - Aug 8 with 919 viewslondonlisa2001

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:41 - Aug 8 by Uxbridge

And Laudrup took the punt because he knew him. There's no point to deny him that one.

I'm not denying it! I'm just pointing out that he was offered around. It wasn't that he said 'I want to go to play for Laudrup' - he would have gone to the biggest team that wanted him I imagine. I'm not saying it wasn't great business to say yes to him.

Either the manager makes signings or club - I imagine it's normally the club with odd exceptions. I can't see the point of the whole 'Monk has or hasn't got connections' bit - why does it matter?
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:53 - Aug 8 with 903 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:36 - Aug 8 by londonlisa2001

he was going to be on £50k per week wherever he went given his Spurs contact though wasn't he if reports are to be believed.

Sorry but I don't understand how every player in to the club is nothing to do with the manager one year if it was the previous year? I don't think manager contacts have much to do with anything any year to be honest.

You could equally say that the players in under Laudrup were largely not through his contacts (apart from the footballing giant that was Shechter). Some of the payers played for him before, but that's only the same as Gylfi having payed with Monk before.

A lot of the 'contacts' from Spain last year turned out to be not very good to be honest .

Where exactly are we disagreeing?
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:55 - Aug 8 with 886 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:48 - Aug 8 by Field_Of_Dreams_II

Slagging off Monk & his recruitment record after a month & a bit of a transfer window after bringing in 4 quality new signings.

Go support Cardiff with your billy big b0llocks attitudes - you’ll fit right in.

Aye aye - the nipper's had a Sunny Delight.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:56 - Aug 8 with 882 viewsEarl_Strickland

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:48 - Aug 8 by Field_Of_Dreams_II

You cant please everyone its a game based on opinions - they will be asking for Huws head next..... Oh they have already.
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:57 - Aug 8 with 878 viewsUxbridge

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:50 - Aug 8 by londonlisa2001

I'm not denying it! I'm just pointing out that he was offered around. It wasn't that he said 'I want to go to play for Laudrup' - he would have gone to the biggest team that wanted him I imagine. I'm not saying it wasn't great business to say yes to him.

Either the manager makes signings or club - I imagine it's normally the club with odd exceptions. I can't see the point of the whole 'Monk has or hasn't got connections' bit - why does it matter?

It doesn't. As I said.

Michu was available but only Laudrup went for him, said he knew all about him and Michu said he signed because of Laudrup. That's clearly one in the plus column for Laudrup.

it's all a collaborative process anyway. Manager wants a player in a certain position, club give him options, manager has final say. The days of Frankie Burrows travelling up and down the country is long gone.

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:59 - Aug 8 with 866 viewslondonlisa2001

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:53 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

Where exactly are we disagreeing?

I am not sure we are?

I think (as you do I think?) that a manager's contacts count for very little really - it's all moved on beyond that now.

Only thing I would disagree with you on - I don't think players being on the telly has much to do with anything - I would hope that the players that we are looking to bring in will all be good enough to be on the telly. Even some of the dross at Cardiff will be on the telly later
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 15:02 - Aug 8 with 850 viewsWarwickHunt

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:59 - Aug 8 by londonlisa2001

I am not sure we are?

I think (as you do I think?) that a manager's contacts count for very little really - it's all moved on beyond that now.

Only thing I would disagree with you on - I don't think players being on the telly has much to do with anything - I would hope that the players that we are looking to bring in will all be good enough to be on the telly. Even some of the dross at Cardiff will be on the telly later

I was being facetious...
We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 15:04 - Aug 8 with 839 viewswaynekerr55

We Need To Make De Guzman Happen on 14:47 - Aug 8 by WarwickHunt

Settled in London?

He lives in Hertfordshire and Palace's training ground is in Kent...
I'm sure a 4 hour+ round trip to training everyday would have been difficult to turn down.

Was he in Rickmasworth? Harpenden? Radlett?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024