Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Dawson 19:41 - Aug 12 with 10821 viewsGhanaDale

At the game tonight, just bumped into him in the ticket office.
Dunno if it means anything but worth noting!

www.facebook.com/projectaura

Stephen Dawson on 12:45 - Aug 13 with 2792 viewsalwaysrafc

Waste of what I would imagine is a very good wage.
I think Lund is more than capable of playing the Holding midfield role.
while leaving Allen & Hery to do what they do best, being the creative options.
From what I have seen of both of them would love to see them both given a chance in the same team. The signing of Dawson will only stifle their progress.
Stephen Dawson on 12:51 - Aug 13 with 2750 viewsrkershaw

Stephen Dawson on 12:45 - Aug 13 by alwaysrafc

Waste of what I would imagine is a very good wage.
I think Lund is more than capable of playing the Holding midfield role.
while leaving Allen & Hery to do what they do best, being the creative options.
From what I have seen of both of them would love to see them both given a chance in the same team. The signing of Dawson will only stifle their progress.

Lund can now push on in a more offensive role where he is best employed to exploit the opposition's defence. He was one of our main goal threats last season!!
Stephen Dawson on 12:57 - Aug 13 with 2717 views100notout

I've not been impressed at all by Lund in the 2 games I've seen him play this season.

Now that might be because of the role / position he is playing or it might be that his mind isn't on the job and he's contemplating a move - don't forget he's in the last year of his contract and has been offered a new one but for some reason hasn't signed it yet.

If it is at all the latter I would sell him (suspect his wages are not small either)

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Stephen Dawson on 12:58 - Aug 13 with 2708 viewsalwaysrafc

I agree he can play more offensively but he is just as good at breaking up the play with the added bonus of then being able to play the right ball. I just think Allen & Hery Given a licence to do what they do would be fantastic
Stephen Dawson on 12:59 - Aug 13 with 2703 viewsDaleFan7

Seems like a signing for the sake of signing someone. Our midfield is packed with both experience and a lot of youth already. Spending wages when what we desperately need is a striker and maybe another centre half.
Stephen Dawson on 13:10 - Aug 13 with 2657 viewsG_Dale

Is he any good as a striker

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

Stephen Dawson on 13:15 - Aug 13 with 2630 viewsmacro

Stephen Dawson on 12:59 - Aug 13 by DaleFan7

Seems like a signing for the sake of signing someone. Our midfield is packed with both experience and a lot of youth already. Spending wages when what we desperately need is a striker and maybe another centre half.

Replacement for cav, gives more balance to the side. I reckon a cb is most important bizarrely missing o'connell despite tanser playing very well.
Stephen Dawson on 13:30 - Aug 13 with 2570 viewssweetcorn

Stephen Dawson on 13:15 - Aug 13 by macro

Replacement for cav, gives more balance to the side. I reckon a cb is most important bizarrely missing o'connell despite tanser playing very well.

Not sure if srs? So first we need a centre half even though we have looked toothless in the first 2 games and barely threatened to score. Our only fit strikers have barely scored 50 goals between them.

The signing of a striker is vital.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Dawson on 13:57 - Aug 13 with 2485 viewsmacro

Stephen Dawson on 13:30 - Aug 13 by sweetcorn

Not sure if srs? So first we need a centre half even though we have looked toothless in the first 2 games and barely threatened to score. Our only fit strikers have barely scored 50 goals between them.

The signing of a striker is vital.

I'm not saying we don't need a striker , we do but we have conceded three preventable goals so far. The front line scored goals when hogan was injured last season and have created opportunities. The difference is that the centre backs of Peterborough and pne were immense. (Along with gd and ca being poor)
Stephen Dawson on 14:04 - Aug 13 with 2456 views1907

I think some people need to have a serious think before posting on here. Dawson - vastly experienced Championship and League One player. Fantastic signing on paper and will provide some very much needed experience and leadership on the pitch for us. Either he will play along side Lund, behind or even infront allowing us more fluidity during matches to change our central trio about.

Yes we need a goal scorer. However this transfer may allow Dawson to bag a few for us or allow Lund to get back into the scoring positions he found himself in so many times last season.

Ridiculing this signing is nonsense. He could be absolutely pivotal.
Stephen Dawson on 14:24 - Aug 13 with 2405 viewsnordenblue

Stephen Dawson on 10:39 - Aug 13 by Toffeemanc

Can't get excited by this signing at all. The fact he has taken so long to decide to sign most likely due to the lack of offers he has on the table doesn't convince me of his desire/commitment to play for the Dale.
I certainly hope that he has been signed to play the holding role as we are well covered in other areas of midfield, although I'm not convinced the role will suit him. He seems to be more of a forward thinking player and may end up leaving the back four frequently exposed.
As you have pointed out my biggest worry with this signing is the limiting of game time and subsequent development of the younger players in the squad who deserve to be given their chance.

Would much rather have seen news of a goalscorer being signed given how toothless we have looked in the first 2 games. Still, in Hilly I trust and I'm sure we will have news on a goalscorer arriving before the end of the month.

Before you question his commitment to play for us at least wait to watch him play, without knowing all the details its pretty wrong to judge what offers he has or hasnt had
Stephen Dawson on 14:27 - Aug 13 with 2399 viewsBrierls

Stephen Dawson on 14:04 - Aug 13 by 1907

I think some people need to have a serious think before posting on here. Dawson - vastly experienced Championship and League One player. Fantastic signing on paper and will provide some very much needed experience and leadership on the pitch for us. Either he will play along side Lund, behind or even infront allowing us more fluidity during matches to change our central trio about.

Yes we need a goal scorer. However this transfer may allow Dawson to bag a few for us or allow Lund to get back into the scoring positions he found himself in so many times last season.

It's not often I share the same views as you, but amen to that post!!!

If a player of Dawson's quality is available, and you can sign them, you sign them. It really is that simple.

Nobody (from the club or otherwise) has suggested we only have the budget for one player, in fact its the opposite as Hilly has said on various occasions that he's looking to bring in three players. Signing Dawson doesn't address our absolute need for a striker or a centre half, nor does it have a negative impact on us signing one!
Stephen Dawson on 15:25 - Aug 13 with 2274 viewsSJE_Dale

Think Dawson will be a good signing with him being the hard holding midfielder we've all asked for since Cavs left. I don't agree with some that say that he won't play for the club if he's been looking for other offers but surely him being on a one year deal will mean that he'll try double as hard to impress other clubs, therefore benefitting both parties?

Also I like how this will allow Lund to be more attacking, having met him a few times and being a friend of a friend I know that he sees himself as an attacking midfielder and was actually disappointed he didn't get more goals last year as he's always been used to scoring
Stephen Dawson on 15:32 - Aug 13 with 2242 viewsChaffRAFC

Stephen Dawson on 14:04 - Aug 13 by 1907

Great post.

Welcome aboard Stephen. Said weeks ago that we needed a midfielder who can come in and do the dirty work like Cavanagh, whether it was gonna be Dawson or Fox or someone else.

Very pleased with this signing.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:56 - Aug 13 with 2175 viewsPDIDDY

Another ex Bury player
[Post edited 13 Aug 2014 16:46]

Gissa job

Stephen Dawson on 18:52 - Aug 13 with 1965 viewsWhiteyBFC

I don't see enough of Dale to suggest where you need recruits, but I have to say I'm a little surprised Keith has added another central midfielder. However, it's Stephen Dawson. A player that Keith knows very well and a player he trusts implicitly. I find it too difficult to try and tell you what he'll be like, how he'll fare for Dale because I've only seen him just short of 100 times but in the Championship. It's alright me saying he's bang average, verging on poor when I'm basing those performances on him being up against much better players week in week out than we're likely to see in L1.

And, after two home defeats without scoring (us, not you) against two of the so-called weaker L1 clubs this past few days, with better midfielders than Dawson (they are, already easy to see, even in defeat) maybe I've played down the strength of our opponents this season? Both Crawley and Crewe deservedly turned us over, albeit with lots of help on our part. I fully believe we'll get it right, and once it clicks we'll be competitive this year.

But aye, struggling to either say it's a good, or a bad signing for Dale. You'll find out in time. And I wish you nothing but the best, as always.

He'll definitely offer you graft, endeavour and a presence in midfield. A leader. But he's never a holding midfielder in a million years. If Keith wants to turn him into that, then fair enough. But I always preferred Daws driving on from midfield, shooting from distance and getting into the faces of the opposition. He's a toiler, a spoiler but surprisingly good further forward who comes to life - he's at his optimum - when the tempo is full throttle.

Play a steady, slow and progressive game, and he looks awful. Play him deep, and he's more of a hindrance than an asset.

There's my honest opinion on him.

All the best, Daws. There were good moments in there, I'll remember those.
Stephen Dawson on 11:26 - Aug 14 with 1608 viewsParkinsGimp

I hope this isnt a wasted signing, and to the detriment of either Hery or Allen. Just another bucket collecting a wage cos no-one else would sign him.
Its not an area I am particularily concerned about. I know Lund is a forward attacking Midfielder but i am sure he could adapt to the holding role in time, especially with the energy of Allen and Hery around him.
I wait to be corrected of course and I am man enough to admit if I am wrong...see Tanser for example I thought he was pants against Boro and made too many mistakes against Posh , but made less mistakes against PNE and is improving every game...:-)
Stephen Dawson on 12:54 - Aug 14 with 1490 viewsolympicdale

Stephen Dawson on 12:57 - Aug 13 by 100notout

I've not been impressed at all by Lund in the 2 games I've seen him play this season.

Now that might be because of the role / position he is playing or it might be that his mind isn't on the job and he's contemplating a move - don't forget he's in the last year of his contract and has been offered a new one but for some reason hasn't signed it yet.

If it is at all the latter I would sell him (suspect his wages are not small either)

Lund has been piss poor, by his standards, in the two games. Whether he has a move on his mind only he knows that, but he definitely needs to up his game, having Dawson beside him on the pitch, and in the dressing room can only be good for him and all the other young players, a good solid signing.

Life is a game of fate.

Stephen Dawson on 13:15 - Aug 14 with 1446 viewsScunnydale

I think most people would agree that midfield isn't where we were in dire need of a signing. However, signing someone like Dawson is surely a good thing.

As has been said, he's a hard-working, energetic leader and — unbelievably — still only 28. Rather than being a detriment to Lund, Allen and Hery, he could help them immensely by either taking the pressure off them, or mentoring them.

I kind of see him as the new BBM.

Would definitely like to see a goalscorer added to the roster though!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024