Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say 12:21 - Aug 26 with 1821 viewsthomasJack

GARRY Monk has compared new recruit Tom Carroll to Leon Britton and Joe Allen as the on-loan Tottenham midfielder prepares for a possible debut against Rotherham United tonight.

Carroll has arrived at the Liberty for a season-long stint hoping the move to Wales will give him the chance to make a mark in the Premier League.

But the 22-year-old's first chance to impress should come in the Capital One Cup this evening as Monk is tipped to make changes to the side which saw off Burnley last weekend.

The Swansea manager must decide whether Carroll is sharp enough to start – and if he is ready to go straight into the side having arrived from London late last Friday

But if possible, Monk will want to get the new man involved.

"Tom's a very good footballer," Monk said.

"We've watched him and done our analysis over the years. We've seen him at Spurs and a lot of him at Queens Park Rangers.

"He's a very good footballer who will very much suit us.

"I've spoken to a lot of people who have trained with him and coached him and speak very highly of him, so we're very pleased to have him.

"He can come here and show that good side of football we need – he's good with the ball, can pass and move and get himself in good positions. I think he'll offer us another option."

Carroll is not a powerfully built midfield player, and relies instead on his technical ability.

Known for his quality on the ball, he has managed 23 Spurs appearances since making his debut in a European tie against Hearts three years ago.

Carroll has played seven times in the top flight – although he is yet to manage a start – and has had encouraging loan spells at Leyton Orient, Derby and QPR, who he helped to promotion last season.

Now comes a chance to play for Swansea at the top level – and Monk reckons he can thrive like other diminutive midfielders have in SA1.

"A lot of people will talk about the strength side of the game, but we've shown over the years with Leon and Joe Allen that if you pass the ball quickly and move quickly it doesn't matter about the physical side of the game," Monk added.

"Tom can improve on that side, but he suits our philosophy and I think he can do well for us and show what a good footballer he is and we believe he is.

"I would put him in the same bracket as Joe and Leon. He's that type of player.

"He's a very good person as well, really humble, and will want to come here and do well for himself."

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-new-boy-Tom-Carroll-thrive-

Poll: Next signing

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 12:48 - Aug 26 with 1732 viewsGram2086

Before Monk gets carried away with what Tom Carroll can offer he should consider what QPR and Derby fans had to say about him (independently of each other) following his loan spells.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/02/sp-qpr-fans-on-tom-carroll-i-wish-he-w

Couple these reservations with the news that Leon may be out for much longer than initially suggested and it makes the case for recruitment of a quality defensive midfielder all the more necessary and urgent.
Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 14:48 - Aug 26 with 1591 viewsmax936

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 12:48 - Aug 26 by Gram2086

Before Monk gets carried away with what Tom Carroll can offer he should consider what QPR and Derby fans had to say about him (independently of each other) following his loan spells.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/02/sp-qpr-fans-on-tom-carroll-i-wish-he-w

Couple these reservations with the news that Leon may be out for much longer than initially suggested and it makes the case for recruitment of a quality defensive midfielder all the more necessary and urgent.

That's the end of the hunt for a DM then, Monk as obviously done his homework on Carrol and is happy to go with him.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 14:54 - Aug 26 with 1565 viewsBig_Phil

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 12:48 - Aug 26 by Gram2086

If QPR fans don't like him then that's good enough for me!
Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 14:55 - Aug 26 with 1564 viewsLeonisGod

I think I'd rather trust the judgement of GM and the whole scouting network of SCAFC than a few disgruntled QPR fans on a message board tbh.

If he's as technically able as GM says, then I'm looking forward to seeing this guy play for us and hope he can break into the first team. If he does well, presumably we'd look to make the deal a permanent transfer.
Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 15:11 - Aug 26 with 1527 viewsBaker

"the whole scouting network of SCAFC"

Otherwise known as Gylfi Sigurdsson, you mean?

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 16:25 - Aug 26 with 1392 viewsIAN05

So, Redknapp, Sherwood and Monk really like him but a couple of fans on internet sites don't. I'll take that. Lets judge ourselves instead
Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 16:48 - Aug 26 with 1330 viewsAJ101

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 15:11 - Aug 26 by Baker

"the whole scouting network of SCAFC"

Otherwise known as Gylfi Sigurdsson, you mean?

To be fair I can't imagine Gylfi would have played with him much as even in the first half of 2012 when Carroll was with Spurs he was playing in the U21/nextgen competitions and most of the rest of the time he was on loan.
Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 16:50 - Aug 26 with 1326 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 16:25 - Aug 26 by IAN05

So, Redknapp, Sherwood and Monk really like him but a couple of fans on internet sites don't. I'll take that. Lets judge ourselves instead

I agree with the thrust of that argument but I do wonder why Harry hasn't taken him again at QPR.

Hopefully because Spurs want a better footballing environment for the lad.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 16:55 - Aug 26 with 1298 viewsmonmouth

Yay...write him off before he's pulled on a boot.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with a qpr or derby fan so I'm don't think I'm going to care a lot about their opinion of this boyo. There are loads of clubs fans out there that will still never rate Routs I'm sure, or Dyer, or Leon....just ask the numpties at Sheff Utd..

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 16:56 - Aug 26 with 1297 viewsJesusJack

It still baffles me how so many football fans (Even long serving ones) still fall into the trap of believing that 'Player A' was rubbish at 'Team X' and 'Team Y' so he'll be rubbish at 'Team Z' as well.

Who is to say that Carroll got the right coaching, support, motivation and instructions at QPR/Derby? How many players have we had in recent years that only had mediocre careers before pulling on the white shirt?

Let's give the lad a chance, eh?

Poll: What was your expectation for this season?

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 17:07 - Aug 26 with 1277 viewsAJ101

Swansea City new boy Tom Carroll can thrive like Joe Allen and Leon Britton, say on 16:50 - Aug 26 by Joe_bradshaw

I agree with the thrust of that argument but I do wonder why Harry hasn't taken him again at QPR.

Hopefully because Spurs want a better footballing environment for the lad.

Hopefully it's because he's keen on taking Benoit Assou-Ekotto again and can only have one loan from us this season, I can but dream! We've tried everything else to get rid of him but I think his hair gets stuck and bounces him straight back to us!

In terms of our loans it's been a pretty well worn path for our youngsters since Harry did away with the reserve team that around 18-19 they go on loan to L1 or L2 for a spell then Championship for a year or two then the PL (for the ones that are good enough). Caulker, Naughton, Walker, Kane, Rose, Townsend have all gone that way but to be honest once they're at the PL stage we don't seem to think too much about the loaning club being the right fit or environment I think it's just about money or as a side deal.

The lower leagues we we tend to loan out to local clubs of which there are obviously plenty in London or Swindon as I guess it's easier to keep track on their progress.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024