Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake 11:19 - Sep 30 with 7162 viewsDrWig

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/30/basel-paulo-sousa-swansea-liverp

The only alternative to the spectacle is the spectacle of the alternative.

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:23 - Sep 30 with 5882 viewsJack_y_Jwc

One of the best things that happened to this club was Sousa moving to Leicester that summer, I wonder if HJ & the board would have got rid of him that summer, we definitely would have gone backwards had he stayed another season.

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:28 - Sep 30 with 5850 viewsscottishjack

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:23 - Sep 30 by Jack_y_Jwc

One of the best things that happened to this club was Sousa moving to Leicester that summer, I wonder if HJ & the board would have got rid of him that summer, we definitely would have gone backwards had he stayed another season.

Who knows what the approach would have been in his second season though? We certainly became tougher at the back under Sousa, perhaps that was stage 1 and the next season he would've worked on the other end of the pitch.

By god it was hard to watch that season, but between Martinez and his attacking football, then Sousa working on the defense, we were in decent shape for Brendan to come along and add the final few pieces to the jigsaw.

Just playing devils advocate...
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:42 - Sep 30 with 5799 viewsDarran

We certainly got lucky with Leicester coming in for him in my opinion.

Lovely lovely fella though had some cracking chats with him.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:56 - Sep 30 with 5731 viewsTheFranchise

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:28 - Sep 30 by scottishjack

Who knows what the approach would have been in his second season though? We certainly became tougher at the back under Sousa, perhaps that was stage 1 and the next season he would've worked on the other end of the pitch.

By god it was hard to watch that season, but between Martinez and his attacking football, then Sousa working on the defense, we were in decent shape for Brendan to come along and add the final few pieces to the jigsaw.

Just playing devils advocate...

Every manager has moved us on a step.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:59 - Sep 30 with 5712 viewsSwanseajill

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:42 - Sep 30 by Darran

No mention of him in the filum though, I noticed.
He presented both Amy and I....top ten club supporters shirts in his last months he was with us.

Shame as my shirt is a XXL.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:08 - Sep 30 with 5672 viewsSwanzay

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 11:42 - Sep 30 by Darran

Most fans were v pleased when Leicester came for him at the time, as we still are now.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:17 - Sep 30 with 5629 viewsJackFish

Did a decent job but his football was excruciating to watch, and the end of season collapse was pathetic.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:33 - Sep 30 with 5551 viewsjeza739

He sorted us out at the back and played his part in our development. Remember one thing tho, from RM team of the prev season PS lost Scotland, Gomez and Bodde. In excess of 50 goals. OK his signings weren't great but I will state now that if RM had lost those players we would have finished nearer 17th not the 7th that Sousa gave us. But yes there were other issues as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:48 - Sep 30 with 5476 viewsicecoldjack

I thought Sousa did great for us and I'm not quite sure why he tended to be written out of our recent history.
Said some very nice things about our club and without his input I'd doubt if brenden would have been able to sprinkle the magic dust in quite the same way.

He gave us a cracking platform to work off, and when he wanted a top striker huw bought him beatie and signed trundle on loan, which didn't exactly help the cause!

Got a lot of respect for him,admitted Leicester was a mistake and also talked up huw Jenkins in a previous article a year or so ago.

A very guy by all accounts and I wish him well, he certainly played his part in our rise to the premier league and I do think he should perhaps have had a bit more credit.

Just my take on it.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:54 - Sep 30 with 5451 viewsjeza739

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:48 - Sep 30 by icecoldjack

I thought Sousa did great for us and I'm not quite sure why he tended to be written out of our recent history.
Said some very nice things about our club and without his input I'd doubt if brenden would have been able to sprinkle the magic dust in quite the same way.

He gave us a cracking platform to work off, and when he wanted a top striker huw bought him beatie and signed trundle on loan, which didn't exactly help the cause!

Got a lot of respect for him,admitted Leicester was a mistake and also talked up huw Jenkins in a previous article a year or so ago.

A very guy by all accounts and I wish him well, he certainly played his part in our rise to the premier league and I do think he should perhaps have had a bit more credit.

Just my take on it.

Totally agree withthe above
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:55 - Sep 30 with 5446 viewstomdickharry

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:33 - Sep 30 by jeza739

He sorted us out at the back and played his part in our development. Remember one thing tho, from RM team of the prev season PS lost Scotland, Gomez and Bodde. In excess of 50 goals. OK his signings weren't great but I will state now that if RM had lost those players we would have finished nearer 17th not the 7th that Sousa gave us. But yes there were other issues as well.

That's a great post.
One of his major mistakes was in his very last game as Manager,Doncaster home when a win would have secured a play off place,Trundle was left on the bench until it was too late for any impact,that match was made for him to start,full house all expecting the win and I am convinced in my own mind that he would have delivered,a draw resulted and we all left disappointed.
Sousa was a character,disliked by many of the people who walk in the corridors of power at our club who wanted him out,Leicester coming in was a bonus because he would not have walked out on Swansea City and would have cost us a fair bit to pay him off a la Laudrup.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 13:32 - Sep 30 with 5324 viewsChief

Fact is, when he was manager, the club reached its highest league position since the early 80's and he finished higher than Roberto Martinez ever did as swans manager.

The defence was vastly tightened up, but how much of this was down to him or the influence of Monk, i'm not sure.

Beattie, Cotterill, Lopez et al were expensive mistakes however

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 13:42 - Sep 30 with 5284 viewsmonmouth

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:17 - Sep 30 by JackFish

Did a decent job but his football was excruciating to watch, and the end of season collapse was pathetic.

The most welcome collapse ever in retrospect. There's no way we'd have got up via the playoffs and we would have stopped Blackpool doing their thang....

I

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 13:53 - Sep 30 with 5236 viewsJackSomething

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 13:32 - Sep 30 by Chief

Fact is, when he was manager, the club reached its highest league position since the early 80's and he finished higher than Roberto Martinez ever did as swans manager.

The defence was vastly tightened up, but how much of this was down to him or the influence of Monk, i'm not sure.

I think it's fair to say that Sousa was a good manager when it came to training, tactics etc... Getting us to a higher finish with an inferior squad was a hell of an achievement.

It was off the pitch, signing players and dealing with the club hierarchy, where he seems to have problems.

If you look at our signings that season, Dyer and Dobbie were already arranged before he arrived. That meant the signings made under his management were Lopez, Idrizaj, Beattie, van der Gun, Cotterill, Kuqi, Trundle and Edgar. Ouch. Some of those were probably club signings, but so much for the incredible contacts list Sousa would bring with him.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 14:15 - Sep 30 with 5152 viewsJBT95

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 13:32 - Sep 30 by Chief

Not sure how you can say Cotterill was an expensive mistake.

He was a good player for us, good at set pieces especially as we didn't really have anybody who was good at the time. Unfortunately he missed a fair few penalties at the start of 2010/11 and his head dropped and Brendan just dropped him and he was never seen again. If those penalties had gone in... maybe he'd still be here now? Who knows.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 14:19 - Sep 30 with 5139 viewsDarran

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 14:15 - Sep 30 by JBT95

Not sure how you can say Cotterill was an expensive mistake.

He was a good player for us, good at set pieces especially as we didn't really have anybody who was good at the time. Unfortunately he missed a fair few penalties at the start of 2010/11 and his head dropped and Brendan just dropped him and he was never seen again. If those penalties had gone in... maybe he'd still be here now? Who knows.

Cotterill was complete and utter shite.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 14:51 - Sep 30 with 5070 viewsSwanzay

Cotterill scored for Brum on the weekend, not that it means anything
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 17:53 - Sep 30 with 4786 viewsDr_Winston

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 14:19 - Sep 30 by Darran

Cotterill was a talented contributor played out of position by Rodgers during his "WTF is an attacking midfielder?" phase.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 18:09 - Sep 30 with 4731 viewsDewi1jack

Got to admit that towards the end of the Sousa ball season, I was thinking about not renewing my ST.
Then, thankfully, the crisp munchers took him off our hands (I'd renewed thankfully!)
There can be no doubt that PS taught us to defend after RM only had a plan A (score 1 more than the opposition) and between the 2 of them, gave BR a really good platform with which to work with.
There have been times recently, that I have wished that PS was back here, in the role of purely a defensive coach, being allowed no where near team selection or tactics. He was definitely very good as a defensive teacher.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 18:32 - Sep 30 with 4674 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Who is he? I just watched the Swansea city documentary of the last 10 yeas and he isn't mentioned?

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 18:34 - Sep 30 with 4663 viewsC_jack

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 14:19 - Sep 30 by Darran

One of the best goals I've seen against Leicester in the cup.

We've certainly had shiter

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 18:52 - Sep 30 with 4607 viewsGowerjack

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 12:48 - Sep 30 by icecoldjack

Just my take on it.

Agreed about the strikers

Beattie was s hite

And we should never have had Trundle back it was embarrassing.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 19:26 - Sep 30 with 4543 viewsScoobyWho

There is and was clearly more to this than we know.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 19:35 - Sep 30 with 4506 viewstomdickharry

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 19:26 - Sep 30 by ScoobyWho

There is and was clearly more to this than we know.

When Jenkins writes his book there will be one line devoted to Sousa.
Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 19:38 - Sep 30 with 4499 viewsexiledclaseboy

Sousa-Leaving Swansea a Mistake on 19:35 - Sep 30 by tomdickharry

When Jenkins writes his book there will be one line devoted to Sousa.

And that line will be:

"Leicester rang. They want Sousa. F*CKING YES!"

Sousa will always be but a mere footnote in Swansea City's history but he steadied the ship after Martinez ripped the heart out of the club. Shouldn't be remembered with any ill-feeling.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024