Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Broadband info help please 18:09 - Nov 16 with 1728 viewscsf

Looking at changing our internet etc, trying to decipher broadband speed any hlp appreciated.

Sky is advertised as 4.9 - 11.2 mbps
Virgin is sold as up to 100mb

Anybody know what that means? Don't seem to be in the same units? Or ballpark?
Broadband info help please on 19:45 - Nov 16 with 1688 viewsSwanzay

Sky is shite avoid at all costs from my perspective, mbps = mega bites per second. The higher the better
You never get those, try

http://www.speedtest.net

to see what you get currently
Broadband info help please on 19:48 - Nov 16 with 1686 viewsorion3016

Whichever provider (ISp) you are thinking of going to will give you a projected speed based on telephone no or post code. They will know what kit and connections you have on your exchange / box in street and that's what you'll get

Be over there now after

Broadband info help please on 20:10 - Nov 16 with 1667 viewsEdmundo

If broadband in your street is provided by B.t, then there'll be non difference between Sky and B.t, as both use the same network.

Whereas Virgin will generally have a faster speed on their fibre network.

I use Sky broadband at the moment as there's no Virgin cable on our street.

We get 35M speed here in Llansamlet, which is pretty good.

Some good deals on at the mo, BT doing free BB for 6 months!

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Broadband info help please on 09:21 - Nov 17 with 1558 viewsDm1973

Join topcash back and have a look at the deals on there, you can get upto £168 back plus a sainsburys gift card with bt depending what package you go for, takes a couple of weeks for the money to clear into your topcash back account but well worth it.
Broadband info help please on 10:05 - Nov 17 with 1537 viewsWxmJax

If you try that speedtest and your download speed is 6 to 8 meg (mbs) then that should be quick enough to watch films without any buffering. You can then look at the cheaper deals (up to 16 mbs download speeds). Once you start putting your phone number and post code in on BT website and others, be prepared for lots of calls from other firms offering ppi etc.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Broadband info help please on 13:03 - Nov 17 with 1506 viewsWatchman

Recently went to BT I get 80/20 but have on occasions got 152mb
Nephew recently went to Virgin for everything and he has 152mb

Check where your nearest street cabinet is first

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Broadband info help please on 17:44 - Nov 17 with 1436 viewsfbreath

Depends if you are looking for FTTC (fibre broadband) or standard broadband. There are some great deals on both at the moment. Go to someone like plusnet or a broadband comparison site, put in your postcode and phone number and they will tell you what is available.

Speed is very subjective and dependant on many factors such as distance from the BT exchange and quality of the copper cable from your house to the BT exchange especially for standard broadband.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Broadband info help please on 18:49 - Nov 17 with 1413 viewsCatullus

Broadband info help please on 20:10 - Nov 16 by Edmundo

If broadband in your street is provided by B.t, then there'll be non difference between Sky and B.t, as both use the same network.

Whereas Virgin will generally have a faster speed on their fibre network.

I use Sky broadband at the moment as there's no Virgin cable on our street.

We get 35M speed here in Llansamlet, which is pretty good.

Some good deals on at the mo, BT doing free BB for 6 months!

Do what? I'm lucky to get 6!! My Sky broadband is utter garbage. If I answer the housephone, the internet stops. And Sky can't or won't fix it. They told me I'd have to go and buy the equipment I need. Which is new adaptor for the phone line.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Broadband info help please on 15:50 - Nov 18 with 1352 viewsZut_Alors

ADSL networks (Sky, BT, Talk Talk, et al) use the old copper lines and will have variable download speeds, which is based on the distance from the cabinet to your home and the quality of line, including the internal wiring of your house. BT have upgraded much of the network — this is what 'fibre to the cabinet' references. When you call the sales teams at the ISPs, they'll cross check your postcode to give you an estimation of the type of speeds you'll achieve.

Virgin use their own cable network and the old Cable and Wireless one they bought out. It's a much better system, but you'll usually pay more. They're able to give a much firmer estimate on the speed as they control the network all the way, and there's fewer unpredictable problems such as interference caused by line degradation.

Main thing is to work out what you actually use the internet for. If for example, you stream HD video, while someone else plays online games, you might want to look into getting a fibre package. If it's just browsing and watching the odd football stream, you'll be alright on the Sky service. That being said, there's peace of mind to be hand in Virgin's service as they really will send an engineer out if you're not getting what you expect. With the ADSL service, the ISPS often have to go back and forth with BT openreach to repair any problems, plus you have to pay line rental, even if you don't want the phone.
Broadband info help please on 00:38 - Nov 19 with 1295 viewsClydachjack

Go to https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and enter your postcode to find how far away from the exchange you are.

If there is no fibre then look for a provider that's llu.
Broadband info help please on 09:38 - Nov 19 with 1261 viewsjacksinceever

Broadband info help please on 13:03 - Nov 17 by Watchman

Recently went to BT I get 80/20 but have on occasions got 152mb
Nephew recently went to Virgin for everything and he has 152mb

Check where your nearest street cabinet is first

Virgin cabinet outside my gate - still have mixed service from Virgin.
Never tried any others so I can't comment on those
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024