Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT Of Mice and Men 16:26 - Nov 19 with 1528 viewsLala

I confess to not having read this, but as my daughter is reading it at school I'm going to give it a go.

Any reviews of it from you guys ? Is it very sad ?

And any other book recommendations greatly appreciated - am really struggling to get into any of my recent book purchases.....

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

OT Of Mice and Men on 18:43 - Nov 19 with 1489 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

Most things b y Steinbeck are well worth reading, one of the great writers of the 20TH Century. The Grapes Of Wrath is of course well known as a chronicle of the effects of the great depression on the rural poor in the mid west, and a work of genius. Cannery Row and The Moon Is Down are also excellent books.

Have you tried The Blind Assassins by Margaret Atwood? Won the Booker Prize a few years ago, but unlike most BP winners is a really good read. The Handmaid's Tale by her is also very good and she published a really good collection of short stories recently, although that will not be out in paperback until the new year.

Arundhati Roy's The God Of Small Things is another work I really enjoyed, although I have a penchant for Indian subjects and writers, so that may be a personal preference.

Beyond those Robert Harris's books I find very enjoyable, and Joanne Harris is another writer whose work I buy frequently.

That lot should keep you going.
OT Of Mice and Men on 19:57 - Nov 19 with 1456 viewsHarryHorse

OT Of Mice and Men on 18:43 - Nov 19 by Hannibal_de_Seaside

Most things b y Steinbeck are well worth reading, one of the great writers of the 20TH Century. The Grapes Of Wrath is of course well known as a chronicle of the effects of the great depression on the rural poor in the mid west, and a work of genius. Cannery Row and The Moon Is Down are also excellent books.

Have you tried The Blind Assassins by Margaret Atwood? Won the Booker Prize a few years ago, but unlike most BP winners is a really good read. The Handmaid's Tale by her is also very good and she published a really good collection of short stories recently, although that will not be out in paperback until the new year.

Arundhati Roy's The God Of Small Things is another work I really enjoyed, although I have a penchant for Indian subjects and writers, so that may be a personal preference.

Beyond those Robert Harris's books I find very enjoyable, and Joanne Harris is another writer whose work I buy frequently.

That lot should keep you going.

As a recent Kindle convert I've been devouring books at a rate not seen since my teens , it makes the daily commute bearable . As Hannibal refers , Robert Harris is very readable , I like John Irving and Donna Tartt's latest offering was worth the long wait . "The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window" and "The girl who saved the King of Sweden" were fun and I've liked the C J Sansom I've read .

Edit to add : Of Mice and Men was good but The Grapes of Wrath is terrific
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 21:15]
OT Of Mice and Men on 20:38 - Nov 19 with 1436 viewsBloodtangerine

OT Of Mice and Men on 19:57 - Nov 19 by HarryHorse

As a recent Kindle convert I've been devouring books at a rate not seen since my teens , it makes the daily commute bearable . As Hannibal refers , Robert Harris is very readable , I like John Irving and Donna Tartt's latest offering was worth the long wait . "The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window" and "The girl who saved the King of Sweden" were fun and I've liked the C J Sansom I've read .

Edit to add : Of Mice and Men was good but The Grapes of Wrath is terrific
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 21:15]

A good book Lala.....you WILL cry

Voice of the two scarfers..UTMP

OT Of Mice and Men on 20:49 - Nov 19 with 1427 viewsterminallytangerine

Of Mice and Men is short, yet extremely poignant. It deals with prejudice and discrimination on a number of levels (racial, social and sexual), has a sympathetic mentally retarded main character, has a lot to say about the importance of relationships and mutual cooperation and even deals with the issue of domestic abuse.I won't give the ending away but it is sad and beautifully written. It is a fantastic little book and should be read by everyone (IMHO). I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it as all you, Lala. (Let me know if you or she doesn't.)

I always think that if people only ever read one book it should be To Kill A Mockingbird but Of Mice and Men for me comes close.

As for Steinbeck read chapter 14 of The Grapes of Wrath if your read nothing else: it certainly influenced by political views from a young age. (And as people's politics differ it may not be palatable to all.)

It's always hard to recommend books because it depends on the person's interests and tastes. The Margaret Atwood is a good call, and I particularly like Cat's Eye. As always though I think it is better to read something than nothing and to follow your interests.

Sorry for going off on one but after Blackpool literature is my favourite subject. Hope you both enjoy OMM.

(Another recommendation is that Michael Gove wasn't keen on American fiction being included in the English curriculum so it must be good stuff!)
OT Of Mice and Men on 21:13 - Nov 19 with 1415 viewsTwelveAngryMen

OT Of Mice and Men on 20:49 - Nov 19 by terminallytangerine

Of Mice and Men is short, yet extremely poignant. It deals with prejudice and discrimination on a number of levels (racial, social and sexual), has a sympathetic mentally retarded main character, has a lot to say about the importance of relationships and mutual cooperation and even deals with the issue of domestic abuse.I won't give the ending away but it is sad and beautifully written. It is a fantastic little book and should be read by everyone (IMHO). I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it as all you, Lala. (Let me know if you or she doesn't.)

I always think that if people only ever read one book it should be To Kill A Mockingbird but Of Mice and Men for me comes close.

As for Steinbeck read chapter 14 of The Grapes of Wrath if your read nothing else: it certainly influenced by political views from a young age. (And as people's politics differ it may not be palatable to all.)

It's always hard to recommend books because it depends on the person's interests and tastes. The Margaret Atwood is a good call, and I particularly like Cat's Eye. As always though I think it is better to read something than nothing and to follow your interests.

Sorry for going off on one but after Blackpool literature is my favourite subject. Hope you both enjoy OMM.

(Another recommendation is that Michael Gove wasn't keen on American fiction being included in the English curriculum so it must be good stuff!)

I have to say The Grapes of Wrath is a great piece of work
Never read anything else of his Perhaps I should

#footballfirst

OT Of Mice and Men on 22:57 - Nov 19 with 1378 viewsfleetwoodbry

OT Of Mice and Men on 20:49 - Nov 19 by terminallytangerine

If Of Mice and Men were written today I reckon that main character would be based on folk who have a penchant for reality tv!! Not aimed at anyone in particular mind
OT Of Mice and Men on 23:57 - Nov 19 with 1359 viewsterminallytangerine

OT Of Mice and Men on 22:57 - Nov 19 by fleetwoodbry

If Of Mice and Men were written today I reckon that main character would be based on folk who have a penchant for reality tv!! Not aimed at anyone in particular mind

Eh?
OT Of Mice and Men on 00:22 - Nov 20 with 1355 viewsballaragh

Funnily enough, my daughter's just asked for this as one of her [many ] Christmas presents ,Spanish version though : De Ratones y Hombres !
Login to get fewer ads

OT Of Mice and Men on 07:33 - Nov 20 with 1340 viewsfleetwoodbry

OT Of Mice and Men on 23:57 - Nov 19 by terminallytangerine

Eh?

TT the remark was tongue in cheek and WAS aimed at Blood, he'll get it I'm sure!!
OT Of Mice and Men on 09:41 - Nov 20 with 1312 viewsLala

OT Of Mice and Men on 07:33 - Nov 20 by fleetwoodbry

TT the remark was tongue in cheek and WAS aimed at Blood, he'll get it I'm sure!!

Some great stuff there guys, thank you.

I am going to bite the bullet and start it tonight, I guess it will be sad, but I have to get past that in the name of 'learning.'

Manchester Sunday, the 3 storey Waterstones there is like heaven to me so I'm noting a few of your recommendations and will see what appeals (in other words I will read the reviews whilst in Waterstones top floor cafe over a latte and jam scone....what a life.. ).

I came across a Margaret Atwood recommendation, funnily enough in the Mail last week, so I will definitely look out for something of hers.

Hannibal - loads to go off there, thank you

TT - will let you know how I get on with Of Mice........like you, literaturte is a great love of mine.....sometimes ahead of Blackpool and marginally ahead of trains...

Thanks again guys
[Post edited 20 Nov 2014 9:51]

OT Of Mice and Men on 10:52 - Nov 20 with 1293 viewsArchibaldKnox

OT Of Mice and Men on 09:41 - Nov 20 by Lala

Some great stuff there guys, thank you.

I am going to bite the bullet and start it tonight, I guess it will be sad, but I have to get past that in the name of 'learning.'

Manchester Sunday, the 3 storey Waterstones there is like heaven to me so I'm noting a few of your recommendations and will see what appeals (in other words I will read the reviews whilst in Waterstones top floor cafe over a latte and jam scone....what a life.. ).

I came across a Margaret Atwood recommendation, funnily enough in the Mail last week, so I will definitely look out for something of hers.

Hannibal - loads to go off there, thank you

TT - will let you know how I get on with Of Mice........like you, literaturte is a great love of mine.....sometimes ahead of Blackpool and marginally ahead of trains...

Thanks again guys
[Post edited 20 Nov 2014 9:51]

Sadly, bookshops are on their way out. Even 2nd-hand bookshops which I adore. For the most part it's just easier to order 2nd-hand books online through Amazon for 1p each and £2.80 P&P. I have developed a huge collection of hardbacks that way, inc first editions.

And if you want a new book, then just follow the price on Amazon until it has dropped from top price at issue date to a more acceptable one later.

abebooks.co.uk is another fantastic resource for hard to find books. It's basically a central market place for all 2nd hand booksellers.

Unfortunately this will change the look of the High Street as bookshops close. But they have unnecessary overheads compared with a warehouse/website operation.
OT Of Mice and Men on 11:19 - Nov 20 with 1289 viewsLala

OT Of Mice and Men on 10:52 - Nov 20 by ArchibaldKnox

Sadly, bookshops are on their way out. Even 2nd-hand bookshops which I adore. For the most part it's just easier to order 2nd-hand books online through Amazon for 1p each and £2.80 P&P. I have developed a huge collection of hardbacks that way, inc first editions.

And if you want a new book, then just follow the price on Amazon until it has dropped from top price at issue date to a more acceptable one later.

abebooks.co.uk is another fantastic resource for hard to find books. It's basically a central market place for all 2nd hand booksellers.

Unfortunately this will change the look of the High Street as bookshops close. But they have unnecessary overheads compared with a warehouse/website operation.

I totally agree Archi - I am surprised the likes of Waterstones are still trading to be honest.....but the thought of that ever not being the case really really saddens me.

I use Amazon to purchase books, and second hand shops......but the bookshop experience, albeit a very over priced one, is a ritual I enjoy....I enjoy spending the time perusing, it's all part of the package for me.

It will be a sad day indeed when technology finally brings about the death of the high street book shop.

OT Of Mice and Men on 13:00 - Nov 20 with 1270 viewsLala

OT Of Mice and Men on 11:19 - Nov 20 by Lala

I totally agree Archi - I am surprised the likes of Waterstones are still trading to be honest.....but the thought of that ever not being the case really really saddens me.

I use Amazon to purchase books, and second hand shops......but the bookshop experience, albeit a very over priced one, is a ritual I enjoy....I enjoy spending the time perusing, it's all part of the package for me.

It will be a sad day indeed when technology finally brings about the death of the high street book shop.

Bumping my own thread - apologies.

Have been researching Margaret Atwood, and just purchased The Edible Woman from Amazon for 1p ...plus £2.80 delivery,......sounds an excellent book for me...right up my street as they say,so thanks guys

OT Of Mice and Men on 13:45 - Nov 20 with 1262 viewsOneDaveBamber

OT Of Mice and Men on 13:00 - Nov 20 by Lala

Bumping my own thread - apologies.

Have been researching Margaret Atwood, and just purchased The Edible Woman from Amazon for 1p ...plus £2.80 delivery,......sounds an excellent book for me...right up my street as they say,so thanks guys

I went to the Steinbeck museum in Salinas last month and it was fascinating. Obviously Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men are the ones that most know, but his entire life is a compelling story.
OT Of Mice and Men on 14:00 - Nov 20 with 1257 views20togo

OT Of Mice and Men on 13:45 - Nov 20 by OneDaveBamber

I went to the Steinbeck museum in Salinas last month and it was fascinating. Obviously Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men are the ones that most know, but his entire life is a compelling story.

now there's a coincidence, lala.

Just bought OMAM ourselves. And Romeo and Juliet.
OT Of Mice and Men on 14:19 - Nov 20 with 1253 viewsAllezBlackpool

OT Of Mice and Men on 11:19 - Nov 20 by Lala

Bookshops will survive. People love to go in and browse and maybe have a coffee. I know you can buy cheaper online but thats the same with every product now.....and other shops still survive.

AVFTT's resident gastronome
Poll: Which Food Items would you like the concourses to sell

OT Of Mice and Men on 15:53 - Nov 20 with 1234 viewsLala

OT Of Mice and Men on 14:19 - Nov 20 by AllezBlackpool

Bookshops will survive. People love to go in and browse and maybe have a coffee. I know you can buy cheaper online but thats the same with every product now.....and other shops still survive.

20's bump the thread when you've read it and let me know how you have found it - am going to try to start it tonight, and it's only quite a short book.

Romeo and Juliet - haven't actually read that either, Macbeth put me off all things Shakespeare !

OT Of Mice and Men on 16:04 - Nov 20 with 1231 views20togo

OT Of Mice and Men on 15:53 - Nov 20 by Lala

20's bump the thread when you've read it and let me know how you have found it - am going to try to start it tonight, and it's only quite a short book.

Romeo and Juliet - haven't actually read that either, Macbeth put me off all things Shakespeare !

LALA

The coincidence is only because our kids are in the same year at the same school so that is why we've bought it.

I read it many years ago - and I mean many - so can't remember too much about it.

Bit ashamed to admit I've got out of the habit of reading books although I did read two on holiday last summer. Curse of the internet I suppose. Mrs20's is still an avid reader though and she often contributed to the book threads on the other AVFTT.
OT Of Mice and Men on 16:18 - Nov 20 with 1226 viewsLala

OT Of Mice and Men on 16:04 - Nov 20 by 20togo

LALA

The coincidence is only because our kids are in the same year at the same school so that is why we've bought it.

I read it many years ago - and I mean many - so can't remember too much about it.

Bit ashamed to admit I've got out of the habit of reading books although I did read two on holiday last summer. Curse of the internet I suppose. Mrs20's is still an avid reader though and she often contributed to the book threads on the other AVFTT.

'The coincidence is only because our kids are in the same year at the same school so that is why we've bought it. '

Of course. My original thought was to read it so I could help Anna with her homework.....she is not a reader at all....she can't sit still for more than 5 minutes....

Yes, I remember Mrs.20's joining in one thread.......tell her to feel free to join this one with any recomendations

OT Of Mice and Men on 16:55 - Nov 20 with 1215 views20togo

OT Of Mice and Men on 16:18 - Nov 20 by Lala

'The coincidence is only because our kids are in the same year at the same school so that is why we've bought it. '

Of course. My original thought was to read it so I could help Anna with her homework.....she is not a reader at all....she can't sit still for more than 5 minutes....

Yes, I remember Mrs.20's joining in one thread.......tell her to feel free to join this one with any recomendations

Lala, here I go. Mrs 20's here.
Reading "Not That Kind of Girl" at present by Lena Dunham. Her influence was Norah Ephron and some parts are really laugh out loud.
I secured Susan Hill's "Printers Devil Court" from the library yesterday and read it in one go. I like her ghost stories.
I know you will enjoy "A History of Lonliness" by John Boyne which tackles abuse in the catholic church in Ireland. The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse and Elephant Moon by John Sweeney have both been secured on my Kindle and I will let you know how they are when I have read them.
The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe was quite a good read. I think it has recently been made into a film, Susan Sarandon plays the part of the detective. Serial killer in a small American town probably sums it up.
I read "The Pearl" by Steinbeck at school and hated it, so I never tackled "Of Mice and Men", I think I will now.
OT Of Mice and Men on 17:35 - Nov 20 with 1203 viewsterminallytangerine

OT Of Mice and Men on 16:55 - Nov 20 by 20togo

Reading "Not That Kind of Girl" at present by Lena Dunham. Her influence was Norah Ephron and some parts are really laugh out loud.
I secured Susan Hill's "Printers Devil Court" from the library yesterday and read it in one go. I like her ghost stories.
I know you will enjoy "A History of Lonliness" by John Boyne which tackles abuse in the catholic church in Ireland. The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse and Elephant Moon by John Sweeney have both been secured on my Kindle and I will let you know how they are when I have read them.
The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe was quite a good read. I think it has recently been made into a film, Susan Sarandon plays the part of the detective. Serial killer in a small American town probably sums it up.
I read "The Pearl" by Steinbeck at school and hated it, so I never tackled "Of Mice and Men", I think I will now.

There are some scary lines in Macbeth: "I come Gray Malkin! Paddock calls" in the first scene especially!
OT Of Mice and Men on 19:33 - Nov 20 with 1194 viewsOdinsRaven

OT Of Mice and Men on 17:35 - Nov 20 by terminallytangerine

There are some scary lines in Macbeth: "I come Gray Malkin! Paddock calls" in the first scene especially!

I'm currently reading the picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. Good read bearing in mind it was written circa 1887 or there abouts
OT Of Mice and Men on 21:37 - Nov 20 with 1164 viewsWizaard

OT Of Mice and Men on 19:33 - Nov 20 by OdinsRaven

I'm currently reading the picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. Good read bearing in mind it was written circa 1887 or there abouts

I tend to read in spells. Having had a week away at half term, got through five.

Hundred year old man who climbed out of the window was far better than I expected.

Narrow dog to Wigan Pier wasn't as good as the Carcassonne book, albeit some local interest.

I succumbed to the hype of Gone Girl but thought it was really good.

On a more prosaic level, Stuart Maconies The People's Songs worked on both a list and nostalgic level as I own most of the records discussed.

Iain Banks The Quarry was another great read from an author who'll be sadly missed.

Make of that what you want
OT Of Mice and Men on 22:03 - Nov 20 with 1151 viewsFountain

OT Of Mice and Men on 16:55 - Nov 20 by 20togo

Mrs 20's, may I suggest you dump your hubby. Clearly too intelligent for him

slap me on the patio

OT Of Mice and Men on 09:38 - Nov 21 with 1124 viewsLala

OT Of Mice and Men on 22:03 - Nov 20 by Fountain

Mrs 20's, may I suggest you dump your hubby. Clearly too intelligent for him

Hi Mrs.20's.

I was reading about Lena Dunham and her 'Not That kind of Girl' in the Mail the other week, it slated her though, as she had been on Newsnight and apparently wasn't worthy of an interview. The mail journalist was pretty critical of her and instead mentioned 'The Wrong knickers' by Bryony Gordon, which I have been tempted to buy this week. I will try Not Kind Of Girl then, if it's laugh out loud then it's good enough for me.

The rest of your recommendations sound good, I will check out today, and probably opt for Printers Devil Court if you read it in one day..

I started Of Men and Mice last night, but only one chapter, so far so good, but I can tell it will be a little emotionally dark for me but I am determined. If you read it let me know how you get on and thanks for taking the time to post

Wiz - I have read The 100 year old Man.....and The Quarry recently, both I thought were ok, the 100 year old man didn't live up to the hype for me, and the Quarry was a bit dour, but with the subject matter being what it was I suppose that was to be expected....will check out your other reads and thanks.

Thanks t everyone else as well......

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024