Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aren't we all just a bit racist? 09:19 - Nov 26 with 1087 viewswespens

Just going back to the Dave Whelan subject - can anyone on here say when they go for a Chinese they've never used the work 'Chinky' - my money still refers to the Paki shop and the half casts down the roads - even when I'm at her house and we watch Structly she's always asking 'is he a queer?' - personally don't think there's a racist or homophobic bone in her body but her terminology sometimes is a bit Luddite!

Poll: Would you ever play John Lundstram again?

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 12:46 - Nov 26 with 1063 viewsseasider13

The Queens husband Phillip has come out with some belters in the past, he was once touring some UK factory when the press overheard him say as he was looking at some messy wiring, he said "it looks like some Indian wired that"

To be fair on the Duke, if you have ever seen some of the wiring in India, he has a point.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 12:57 - Nov 26 with 1050 viewstde74

It's a generational thing I think. All the terms in the first post were in common use right up to the mid-eighties and you can't really blame people 'of a certain age' for failing to keep up. I'm glad things have changed though - it's the mark of what a great country we live in that our population is so diverse, and that this diversity is seen as so ubiquitous that it barely warrants comment any more. Long may that continue.
Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:11 - Nov 26 with 1034 viewsLala

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 12:57 - Nov 26 by tde74

It's a generational thing I think. All the terms in the first post were in common use right up to the mid-eighties and you can't really blame people 'of a certain age' for failing to keep up. I'm glad things have changed though - it's the mark of what a great country we live in that our population is so diverse, and that this diversity is seen as so ubiquitous that it barely warrants comment any more. Long may that continue.

I totally see what the OP is saying.

However rather than saying 'aren't we all just a bit racist'......i think it means............'aren't we all guilty of carrying out behaviour that is deemed as racist, even though we aren't.

That makes sense to me - and yes we are.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:19 - Nov 26 with 1022 viewsHarryHorse

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:11 - Nov 26 by Lala

However rather than saying 'aren't we all just a bit racist'......i think it means............'aren't we all guilty of carrying out behaviour that is deemed as racist, even though we aren't.

Worth watching "It was alright in the 70's" if you want to see how far we have come .
Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:19 - Nov 26 with 1022 viewsstraightatthewall

Surely we need to learn not to be and to understand why we shouldn't be.

Here's an interesting aside to the whole debate. I was watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks on Monday night and even though the the song in the intros round was Niggaz in Paris, nobody on the panel or the presenter would say 'nigga'. I found that really odd as its a word being used by 2 black men and its the name of a song written by them. It seems that the word is totally outlawed for any white person irrespective of the context in which its being used.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:23 - Nov 26 with 1014 viewsWizaard

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:19 - Nov 26 by HarryHorse

Worth watching "It was alright in the 70's" if you want to see how far we have come .

I make Harry right on this one. A real eye opener last week. Can't believe Wendy Craig. Don't remember that at all.
Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:26 - Nov 26 with 1010 viewsDon_K_Lasher

The Pakistani comunity use the 'p' work and the black comunity use the 'n' word with impunity, but seeing as I'm typing at work (in my break) I would not dare just in case somebody saw what I was typing and complained.

There is even a popular website used by Asians called p*ki.com

It's complete double standards and nonsense, more about power and control than being hurt. It also sells news papers to gullible, santinonious bleeding hearts.

The aim of the protesters in the 70s was quite rightly to make colour and sexuality as unimportant as hair colour. This will never happen if you can't mention skin colour or race without being lambasted.

Preston a City you're having a laugh! Preston a City you're having a laugh!

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:29 - Nov 26 with 1005 viewsLala

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:19 - Nov 26 by straightatthewall

Surely we need to learn not to be and to understand why we shouldn't be.

Here's an interesting aside to the whole debate. I was watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks on Monday night and even though the the song in the intros round was Niggaz in Paris, nobody on the panel or the presenter would say 'nigga'. I found that really odd as its a word being used by 2 black men and its the name of a song written by them. It seems that the word is totally outlawed for any white person irrespective of the context in which its being used.

It's a fair point Straighters, I cannot say the N word because it's indoctrined in me not to.

I was once told that our individual moral compass, beliefs and expectancies and life's general blue print, has been set within us by the time we are age 7, and that it's pretty difficult to change these belief's once they have been hard-wired. 7 may not be scientifically accurate, but I believe the theory holds great weight.

Hence being unable to say the N word. Drake, if you are aware of him, a black Canadian rapper uses the N word all the time. I am worried I will get stopeed and charged with something if the policed pull me over and hear it on my car radio.

'Surely we need to learn not to be and to understand why we shouldn't be. '

I don't think we mean to be at all....say for example ' getting a chinky' ..if the intent isn't there, then is it really racism..??
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 13:36]

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Login to get fewer ads

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:31 - Nov 26 with 1003 viewsstraightatthewall

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:26 - Nov 26 by Don_K_Lasher

The Pakistani comunity use the 'p' work and the black comunity use the 'n' word with impunity, but seeing as I'm typing at work (in my break) I would not dare just in case somebody saw what I was typing and complained.

There is even a popular website used by Asians called p*ki.com

It's complete double standards and nonsense, more about power and control than being hurt. It also sells news papers to gullible, santinonious bleeding hearts.

The aim of the protesters in the 70s was quite rightly to make colour and sexuality as unimportant as hair colour. This will never happen if you can't mention skin colour or race without being lambasted.

Bang on DKL. Banning a word rather than thinking about the context in which it's being used is a surefire way to making any divisions even wider and plays into the hands of those who really do have unpleasant and offensive views towards race.

Which goes back to where I started. The issue with Dave Whelan's comments is that what may have been said in the past is no defence for saying things now that aren't acceptable. Mackay should have just called Tan a chunt. Everyone would have agreed with that.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 22:31 - Nov 26 with 928 viewsfleetwoodbry

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 13:31 - Nov 26 by straightatthewall

Bang on DKL. Banning a word rather than thinking about the context in which it's being used is a surefire way to making any divisions even wider and plays into the hands of those who really do have unpleasant and offensive views towards race.

Which goes back to where I started. The issue with Dave Whelan's comments is that what may have been said in the past is no defence for saying things now that aren't acceptable. Mackay should have just called Tan a chunt. Everyone would have agreed with that.

Or why not just say what you mean, stop hiding behind all the PC bullsh!t for goodness sake!!
Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 23:10 - Nov 26 with 916 viewsPNENIL

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 22:31 - Nov 26 by fleetwoodbry

Or why not just say what you mean, stop hiding behind all the PC bullsh!t for goodness sake!!

The alright in the 70's programme was brilliantly done and showed how far we have come. It had a very poignant end though in making the point that although we are tolerant to different races, sexuality etc , we should also extend that tolerance to different generations. Very appropriate to something like the Dave Whelan thing.
Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 01:14 - Dec 28 with 826 viewssandyUSA

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 23:10 - Nov 26 by PNENIL

The alright in the 70's programme was brilliantly done and showed how far we have come. It had a very poignant end though in making the point that although we are tolerant to different races, sexuality etc , we should also extend that tolerance to different generations. Very appropriate to something like the Dave Whelan thing.

In some parts of America, it's a free for all.
Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 07:58 - Dec 28 with 802 viewsCurryman

Aren't we all just a bit racist? on 01:14 - Dec 28 by sandyUSA

In some parts of America, it's a free for all.

When I was growing up, albeit in a small Welsh community, I hadn't seen a black person or an Asian person and had only seen Chinese waiters and waitresses in a restaurant in Newcastle upon Tyne. I think I was about 10 when I came accross my first West Indian.

By the same token, The words that start with C & F were never used by the vast majority of people and were certainly frowned upon. Now they seem to be used ad nauseum by an increasing majority.

So I would ask, have we really moved on?

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024