Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ched Evans not going to Oldham 15:21 - Dec 21 with 3437 viewsOsbourne

Hartlepool United, the bottom club in the football league are looking to sign Ched Evans.

Lets face it, Sheffield United should of re-signed him, they haven't.

Pool need points, Pool need goals. Pool should sign him to the end of the season and here's why :

1. Ched Evans needs a shop window.
2. Pool need goals.

Just a thought.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2015 18:06]
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 13:49 - Jan 5 with 904 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 13:48 - Jan 5 by Mephistopheles

Ps off

Now now. You're supposed to remonstrate with your defenders, not the goalscorer.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 14:10 - Jan 5 with 892 viewsstraightatthewall

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 13:49 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Now now. You're supposed to remonstrate with your defenders, not the goalscorer.

I fully expect Robbie and HDS to campaign to get Rolf Harris back on our TV screens and Gary Glitter back in the charts once rehab has been completed for both.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 15:52 - Jan 5 with 863 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 14:10 - Jan 5 by straightatthewall

I fully expect Robbie and HDS to campaign to get Rolf Harris back on our TV screens and Gary Glitter back in the charts once rehab has been completed for both.

Here he is - the Voice of the Mob.

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:13 - Jan 5 with 859 viewsFountain

Din't understand why we are not in for him.

slap me on the patio

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:39 - Jan 5 with 845 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:13 - Jan 5 by Fountain

Din't understand why we are not in for him.

Indeed. What has the chairman to lose at the Altar of Public Opinion?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2015 16:51]

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:42 - Jan 5 with 846 viewsFountain

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:39 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Indeed. What has the chairman to lose at the Altar of Public Opinion?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2015 16:51]

May as well be hung for a Flock as a sheep.

slap me on the patio

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:52 - Jan 5 with 832 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:42 - Jan 5 by Fountain

May as well be hung for a Flock as a sheep.

One of your better ones that Founts.

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:55 - Jan 5 with 833 viewsgiro

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 13:29 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

HdS I tend to agree.

People have to decide what they want. Setting his appeal, and its outcome, to one side for a moment - do people want him rehabilitated or not?

If they do, he probably needs to find gainful employment. For better or worse, football is what he is good at. What do people want him to do?

Robbie,
For once, a serious post.
If you'd been found guilty of the same offence, your career would had been over. So i'm not sure why he is any different?

The big question, i guess, is where to you draw the line?

1 Rape
2 Causing death by dangerous driving and leaving the scene of the accident.
2 Sexual Assault, fraud, drink driving, wounding.

Numbers 2 and 3 were allowed to ply their trade. Do you think they should have been able to?

I'm not convinced.
Login to get fewer ads

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:02 - Jan 5 with 822 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 16:55 - Jan 5 by giro

Robbie,
For once, a serious post.
If you'd been found guilty of the same offence, your career would had been over. So i'm not sure why he is any different?

The big question, i guess, is where to you draw the line?

1 Rape
2 Causing death by dangerous driving and leaving the scene of the accident.
2 Sexual Assault, fraud, drink driving, wounding.

Numbers 2 and 3 were allowed to ply their trade. Do you think they should have been able to?

I'm not convinced.

Giro

for once, a serious answer.

I take your point entirely, and I have the same revulsion, faced with these crimes, as anyone else. But he has served a prison term, and in any enlightened society, he should be entitled to them pick up his life and earn a living. If he meekly accepted his current pariah status and merely subsisted on benefits, he'd no doubt be criticised for that as well.

Lots of people commit rape, are imprisoned and come out to make a fresh start. I don't see anyone boycotting Sainsbury's because they employ a shelf-stacker who is on the Sex Offenders Register - do you? Ched Evans is being treated differently because his chosen profession is in the public eye, and I don't think that is fair.

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:10 - Jan 5 with 813 viewsgiro

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:02 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Giro

I take your point entirely, and I have the same revulsion, faced with these crimes, as anyone else. But he has served a prison term, and in any enlightened society, he should be entitled to them pick up his life and earn a living. If he meekly accepted his current pariah status and merely subsisted on benefits, he'd no doubt be criticised for that as well.

Lots of people commit rape, are imprisoned and come out to make a fresh start. I don't see anyone boycotting Sainsbury's because they employ a shelf-stacker who is on the Sex Offenders Register - do you? Ched Evans is being treated differently because his chosen profession is in the public eye, and I don't think that is fair.

Robbie,

I agree it's a contentious issue.

However, do you agree with my assertion that your career would have been over?
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:17 - Jan 5 with 810 viewsWizaard

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:02 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Giro

The question is, does the fact that he's a public figure as a consequence of his career choice, therefore different rules apply, much as they have with regard to our Chairman's text exchanges?

Is it part of the deal that public figures also have to deal with the court of public opinion as well as the laws of the land?

Due to the enhanced scrutiny, it's a by-product, in my opinion, that such public figures aren't subject to the 'normal' rules and have to face the consequences of their actions in a different way than you or I.

For what it's worth, I don't think there's any chance that he would come to us because of the owner's history. There's no way that they would want the microscopic media scrutiny and dredging up that would arise should they even start talking to him. It's not that long ago that Gordon Brown disowned a donation to the Labour Party despite the offence taking place two decades ago now, and the sentence being served before the start of the Millennium.
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:22 - Jan 5 with 800 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:10 - Jan 5 by giro

Robbie,

I agree it's a contentious issue.

However, do you agree with my assertion that your career would have been over?

Giro

I would probably have lost my job, yes. But I doubt I'd have been hounded from pillar to post when I tried to start again in the way that he is.

He's not a pedophile looking to get a job working with children. There is no public interest issue in this whatsoever.

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:34 - Jan 5 with 785 viewsgiro

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:22 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Giro

I would probably have lost my job, yes. But I doubt I'd have been hounded from pillar to post when I tried to start again in the way that he is.

He's not a pedophile looking to get a job working with children. There is no public interest issue in this whatsoever.

Robbie,
A considerable number of people, not in the public eye, would not be able to ply their trade. Myself included.

Being in the public eye, regrettably, does have it's down side. I see that as a separate issue.
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 18:02 - Jan 5 with 768 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 17:34 - Jan 5 by giro

Robbie,
A considerable number of people, not in the public eye, would not be able to ply their trade. Myself included.

Being in the public eye, regrettably, does have it's down side. I see that as a separate issue.

Giro, I think you're right about that. The bigger issue though is about how we rehabilitate or integrate offenders back into society. That implies a degree of forgiveness or tolerance, call it what you will.

I'd love to know what would happen if his appeal succeeds.

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 19:16 - Jan 5 with 744 viewsBFCx3

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 18:02 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Giro, I think you're right about that. The bigger issue though is about how we rehabilitate or integrate offenders back into society. That implies a degree of forgiveness or tolerance, call it what you will.

Bit of a wierd one this really. From a personal perspective, I think he ought to now be allowed to just get on with his job. He doesn't present a risk to the public as a footballer and therefore, having served the appropriate punishment for his crime, I struggle to see why he shouldn't be allowed to work in his chosen trade.
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 19:22 - Jan 5 with 697 viewsFountain

Hero worship. Can you have an 8 year old saying to his parents 'when I grow up I want to be Ched Evans'? sadly for him the better you are the more the role model kicks in.

I agree he should be allowed to get back into society but it's unrealistic for him to think nothing has changed. It has. I think I'm right in saying Owing Oy$cum can't be Chairman again?

slap me on the patio

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 19:34 - Jan 5 with 691 viewsOsbourne

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 18:02 - Jan 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Oldham are sitting on the fence now anyway, they haven't signed him today.

Like Sheffield United, Oldham probably floated the idea to see what the media response would be.

Media response = chaos!!!

The Ched Evans situation is a very interesting one. From an intellectual point of view it is probably better to sit on the fence. The discussion on AVFTT has been fascinating.

basilrobbiereborn in that last post goes very close to saying what I would like to say, but I daresent! But I will say the following :

Karl is a budget man. Pool fans are assuming that Karl would not dare to sign him. I don't think Oldham are going to sign him. Ched Evans is still going to be out there.

I say again. Ched Evans needs a shop window. Pool need goals. Pool could give him that shop window. Ched Evans would probably come cheap in his current predicament. Karl does budget - Just saying.

Lets remember, we, and by that I mean Pool, are now running out of games. It is essential that Pool retain Championship status for 2015-16 season. Pool have games against Millwall and Brighton coming up in their next 4. Millwall is a must win game I'm afraid. So is Brighton. All games now that Pool play, they need the 3 points. If Pool drew all their remaining fixtures, they would be no where near Championship survival.

The Ched Evans story is disturbing in the extreme. However, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Pool are close to desperation now. Ched Evans would come cheap. Oldham aren't going to sign him.
Just saying.
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 12:42 - Jan 6 with 635 viewsOsbourne

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 19:34 - Jan 5 by Osbourne

Oldham are sitting on the fence now anyway, they haven't signed him today.

Like Sheffield United, Oldham probably floated the idea to see what the media response would be.

Media response = chaos!!!

The Ched Evans situation is a very interesting one. From an intellectual point of view it is probably better to sit on the fence. The discussion on AVFTT has been fascinating.

basilrobbiereborn in that last post goes very close to saying what I would like to say, but I daresent! But I will say the following :

Karl is a budget man. Pool fans are assuming that Karl would not dare to sign him. I don't think Oldham are going to sign him. Ched Evans is still going to be out there.

I say again. Ched Evans needs a shop window. Pool need goals. Pool could give him that shop window. Ched Evans would probably come cheap in his current predicament. Karl does budget - Just saying.

Lets remember, we, and by that I mean Pool, are now running out of games. It is essential that Pool retain Championship status for 2015-16 season. Pool have games against Millwall and Brighton coming up in their next 4. Millwall is a must win game I'm afraid. So is Brighton. All games now that Pool play, they need the 3 points. If Pool drew all their remaining fixtures, they would be no where near Championship survival.

The Ched Evans story is disturbing in the extreme. However, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Pool are close to desperation now. Ched Evans would come cheap. Oldham aren't going to sign him.
Just saying.

Oldham have now said in a statement, albeit the newspaper where I have read this, has not actually quoted the statement, the following :

'Oldham Athletic FC will be doing "due diligence" on the situation and they must also accept their responsibility towards the game and their staff'.

What a definition of "due diligence" is, I am not sure?

In the same newspaper article, Ched Evans is described as having "Pariah status". This was an expression I was not familiar with either. I looked up "Pariah" in the dictionary and got the following definition : "A noun meaning - Social outcast".

As I said in an earlier post, the media are very quick on to this story every time it re appears.

Subjectively, I feel a little sorry for Ched Evans.
Objectively, it appears that the majority, at least those who put their names to articles in newspapers, are taking the high road. My tin hat is on for daring to say I feel a little sorry for Ched Evans.

This though is a posting board, encouraging debate. I think I am within my rights to say it how I see it? Maybe I am not? I really do not see Oldham Athletic signing him now. Nor do I see Pool signing him. What an awkward situation.
Will he be allowed to drink in his local pub during the afternoon?
[Post edited 6 Jan 2015 14:59]
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 14:45 - Jan 8 with 573 viewsOsbourne

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 12:42 - Jan 6 by Osbourne

Oldham have now said in a statement, albeit the newspaper where I have read this, has not actually quoted the statement, the following :

'Oldham Athletic FC will be doing "due diligence" on the situation and they must also accept their responsibility towards the game and their staff'.

What a definition of "due diligence" is, I am not sure?

In the same newspaper article, Ched Evans is described as having "Pariah status". This was an expression I was not familiar with either. I looked up "Pariah" in the dictionary and got the following definition : "A noun meaning - Social outcast".

As I said in an earlier post, the media are very quick on to this story every time it re appears.

Subjectively, I feel a little sorry for Ched Evans.
Objectively, it appears that the majority, at least those who put their names to articles in newspapers, are taking the high road. My tin hat is on for daring to say I feel a little sorry for Ched Evans.

This though is a posting board, encouraging debate. I think I am within my rights to say it how I see it? Maybe I am not? I really do not see Oldham Athletic signing him now. Nor do I see Pool signing him. What an awkward situation.
Will he be allowed to drink in his local pub during the afternoon?
[Post edited 6 Jan 2015 14:59]

Whether it is true or not, various media outlets are now saying that Oldham Athletic are probably not going to sign Ched Evans.

With the media scrum that is going on, maybe Oldham Athletic are simply going to delay for a while? Their owner apparently lives in USA which is complicating the issue.

Ched Evans is apparently now making an apology, I thought he was lodging an appeal?

This is all breaking news I think.
The story is clearly spiralling out of control at a vast rate of knots.

I still cannot see Pool being interested, even if the Oldham Athletic signing is not completed.
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 15:33 - Jan 8 with 550 viewsWizaard

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 14:45 - Jan 8 by Osbourne

Whether it is true or not, various media outlets are now saying that Oldham Athletic are probably not going to sign Ched Evans.

With the media scrum that is going on, maybe Oldham Athletic are simply going to delay for a while? Their owner apparently lives in USA which is complicating the issue.

Ched Evans is apparently now making an apology, I thought he was lodging an appeal?

This is all breaking news I think.
The story is clearly spiralling out of control at a vast rate of knots.

I still cannot see Pool being interested, even if the Oldham Athletic signing is not completed.

The deal has fallen through because Oldham office staff were threatened that they and their families would be raped if it went through.

Evans is apologising for the consequences of the whole media scrum on his alleged victim, not for his actions. He maintains his innocence.
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 18:10 - Jan 8 with 537 viewsOsbourne

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 15:33 - Jan 8 by Wizaard

The deal has fallen through because Oldham office staff were threatened that they and their families would be raped if it went through.

Evans is apologising for the consequences of the whole media scrum on his alleged victim, not for his actions. He maintains his innocence.

Appears your right Wizaard.

The saga continues. Could Oldham Athletic be stalling and coming back in, when it all cools down somewhat? Ched Evans has apparently made some sort of an apology today which could cool the situation down a little?

I wonder?
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 18:15 - Jan 8 with 532 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 18:10 - Jan 8 by Osbourne

Appears your right Wizaard.

The saga continues. Could Oldham Athletic be stalling and coming back in, when it all cools down somewhat? Ched Evans has apparently made some sort of an apology today which could cool the situation down a little?

I wonder?

When people start threatening blameless people, they lose all the moral high ground they might have had. We seem to have regressed to the 15th century.

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 19:46 - Jan 8 with 514 viewsPlumbs

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 18:15 - Jan 8 by basilrobbiereborn

When people start threatening blameless people, they lose all the moral high ground they might have had. We seem to have regressed to the 15th century.

I tend to agree generally Robbie but then if I'd had someone I knew murdered or raped then I wouldn't think which such clarity.
Oldham Atletic have put their staff in a perilous position in the first place, just because of basic greed in getting a player who's probably better than their level.

The worlds become a worse place because we've tolerated sex crimes and allowed them back into our communities,where hundreds of innocent people have had their lives ruined and waited years for justice. I guess many in Oldham have been affected by the Cyril Smith issue and arent thinking with the civility they might otherwise.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 21:42 - Jan 8 with 485 viewsdodgy_surname

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 19:46 - Jan 8 by Plumbs

I tend to agree generally Robbie but then if I'd had someone I knew murdered or raped then I wouldn't think which such clarity.
Oldham Atletic have put their staff in a perilous position in the first place, just because of basic greed in getting a player who's probably better than their level.

The worlds become a worse place because we've tolerated sex crimes and allowed them back into our communities,where hundreds of innocent people have had their lives ruined and waited years for justice. I guess many in Oldham have been affected by the Cyril Smith issue and arent thinking with the civility they might otherwise.

We should sign him, he would play for peanuts, fits Koko's agenda.
Keep Owen company, discussing the rights and wrongs of rape trials.
He's half decent.
The perfect answer to our sullied Oystain led Club!
Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 08:51 - Jan 9 with 456 viewsOsbourne

Ched Evans going to Oldham? on 21:42 - Jan 8 by dodgy_surname

We should sign him, he would play for peanuts, fits Koko's agenda.
Keep Owen company, discussing the rights and wrongs of rape trials.
He's half decent.
The perfect answer to our sullied Oystain led Club!

Gordon Taylor, who is the PFA Chairman, has stated that it would be "very difficult" for Ched Evans to stay in football following the League One's club (Oldham Athletic) change of heart. Taylor said, there would need to be "quite a difference in the tide of opinion" for Ched Evans to play professional football again.

I must admit that the Ched Evans story is becoming increasingly difficult for the layman to understand. I haven't read that much on what Gordon Taylor has said, but the media now appear to be turning on Gordon Taylor himself, calling for him to resign due to his professional support of Ched Evans.

In some ways it is a shame, that firstly, Sheffield United and now Oldham have not just completed the signing of Ched Evans.

For me, the situation has now become chaotic and is not really a football matter at all. Gordon Taylor has obviously upset some people. However, he was good enough to do an interview for the media. He has simply but an objective view point to the journalists, not a subjective view point. The calls for his resignation are unfortunate.

What a mess this Ched Evans situation now is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024