Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What division is for the working class? 15:08 - Dec 31 with 1288 viewsBigHandsOliverKahn

FC United of Manchester have a slogan, "Football for the working class". Interestingly, they are close to completing a new stadium which is likely to pave the way for further promotions in the next few years. They may end up going higher than a working class division which could leave their motto and ethos in question.

Descending in the opposite direction, we are a poor northern seaside town which has recently tasted the top table with all the glitz and glamour that goes with it. It kind of felt a bit like gate crashing someone else's party to be honest and as we descend back down the divisions, we are probably going back to a level which is more in line with the profile of our town in general.

Is League One a return to a "working class" division or is it lower down than that nowadays?
What division is for the working class? on 15:18 - Dec 31 with 1278 viewsBFCx3

I don't think the division is relevant and wouldn't anticipate the ethos of FC United to change regardless of Division. I think you have missed the point if you are unable to grasp that really.

The ethos at FC United is everything that Blackpool FC isn't....A respect for the people who support the club, rather than total ignorance of them.
What division is for the working class? on 15:35 - Dec 31 with 1269 viewsBigHandsOliverKahn

What division is for the working class? on 15:18 - Dec 31 by BFCx3

I don't think the division is relevant and wouldn't anticipate the ethos of FC United to change regardless of Division. I think you have missed the point if you are unable to grasp that really.

The ethos at FC United is everything that Blackpool FC isn't....A respect for the people who support the club, rather than total ignorance of them.

On their website, they are appealing to fans to give them a help with finishing the stadium - all kinds of jobs are in need of assistance - e.g. people who can drive a small digger machine etc. Compare that to our fanbase at the moment. It's a world away. I think the Premier League money has driven an ethos to expect everything delivered on a plate. Bit like a rich kid who doesn't think he needs to work hard to get things. It totally highlights how money spoils everything in sport.
What division is for the working class? on 15:52 - Dec 31 with 1256 viewsBFCx3

What division is for the working class? on 15:35 - Dec 31 by BigHandsOliverKahn

On their website, they are appealing to fans to give them a help with finishing the stadium - all kinds of jobs are in need of assistance - e.g. people who can drive a small digger machine etc. Compare that to our fanbase at the moment. It's a world away. I think the Premier League money has driven an ethos to expect everything delivered on a plate. Bit like a rich kid who doesn't think he needs to work hard to get things. It totally highlights how money spoils everything in sport.

That's what you get when you engage with your fanbase as opposed to alienating them. This has nothing at all to do with the fans becoming spoilt and everything to do with the failure of the heirachy at Blackpool to recgnise the value of their customers / supporters.

The goodwill of Blackpool supporters has been abused and belittled and if the Premier League has had any influence, it has been in creating an environment where the supporter contribution could be further devalued and belittled, due to the substantial sums of money coming in regardless.

I've been fortunate to have met representatives from F C United and the way in which they engage with the local community is an example to us all.

Not sure if you are on another wind up BHOK, but for me you are barking up the wrong tree here and I'm sure that the good folk at F C United would agree.
What division is for the working class? on 16:04 - Dec 31 with 1250 viewsBigHandsOliverKahn

What division is for the working class? on 15:52 - Dec 31 by BFCx3

That's what you get when you engage with your fanbase as opposed to alienating them. This has nothing at all to do with the fans becoming spoilt and everything to do with the failure of the heirachy at Blackpool to recgnise the value of their customers / supporters.

The goodwill of Blackpool supporters has been abused and belittled and if the Premier League has had any influence, it has been in creating an environment where the supporter contribution could be further devalued and belittled, due to the substantial sums of money coming in regardless.

I've been fortunate to have met representatives from F C United and the way in which they engage with the local community is an example to us all.

Not sure if you are on another wind up BHOK, but for me you are barking up the wrong tree here and I'm sure that the good folk at F C United would agree.

So if FC United of Manchester made it to the Championship, do you think they would still want to stick with "football for the working class" or would the desire to go higher and seeking investment etc. eventually take over?

And if they did happen to reach the Premier League, do you think they would still have a fan base willing to chip in with small jobs?
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 16:05]
What division is for the working class? on 16:08 - Dec 31 with 1244 viewsRusty2Stands

What division is for the working class? on 16:04 - Dec 31 by BigHandsOliverKahn

So if FC United of Manchester made it to the Championship, do you think they would still want to stick with "football for the working class" or would the desire to go higher and seeking investment etc. eventually take over?

And if they did happen to reach the Premier League, do you think they would still have a fan base willing to chip in with small jobs?

Yes they probably would. And probably because their owners would engage with and encourage the supporters. Unlike our owners who revel in being divisive and in alienating the supporters.
What division is for the working class? on 16:19 - Dec 31 with 1239 viewsLala

What division is for the working class? on 16:08 - Dec 31 by Rusty2Stands

Yes they probably would. And probably because their owners would engage with and encourage the supporters. Unlike our owners who revel in being divisive and in alienating the supporters.

It's easier to claim to be the fc of the people.when you are in the lower leagues. Rising higher is when that stops being the case. You can't be the fv for the working.classes in the premier when you start paying wages of 20k a week and as a consequence.cost a family of.4 160quid to see.a.game.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

What division is for the working class? on 16:20 - Dec 31 with 1239 viewsBFCx3

What division is for the working class? on 16:04 - Dec 31 by BigHandsOliverKahn

I think that if they treat their fanbase with the respect they deserve then they will reap the rewards, because fans like to be involved and help out where they can, so long as their efforts are properly valued.

I can't see any reason why they would want to change the overall ethos and "football for the working class", which I am sure is just about affortable football that engages with supporters and not a declaration against future progress up the leagues.

As for investment, I could not see them relinquishing their ethos or the controlling influence of the supporters at all.

From a personal perspective I only wish more Football Clubs / Supporters would have the balls to go down this route.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 16:24]
What division is for the working class? on 16:34 - Dec 31 with 1228 viewsolneyseasider

What division is for the working class? on 16:20 - Dec 31 by BFCx3

I think that if they treat their fanbase with the respect they deserve then they will reap the rewards, because fans like to be involved and help out where they can, so long as their efforts are properly valued.

I can't see any reason why they would want to change the overall ethos and "football for the working class", which I am sure is just about affortable football that engages with supporters and not a declaration against future progress up the leagues.

As for investment, I could not see them relinquishing their ethos or the controlling influence of the supporters at all.

From a personal perspective I only wish more Football Clubs / Supporters would have the balls to go down this route.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 16:24]

Here we go; the justification for BFC being in Leagues 1 and then 2 - believe you me lads and lassies we'll all be a lot happier there. It's where we properly belong.

Complete and utter rowlocks!!!!! What fans want are an ambitious and winning team that plays exciting football.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with that.
Login to get fewer ads

What division is for the working class? on 16:41 - Dec 31 with 1219 viewsBFCx3

What division is for the working class? on 16:19 - Dec 31 by Lala

It's easier to claim to be the fc of the people.when you are in the lower leagues. Rising higher is when that stops being the case. You can't be the fv for the working.classes in the premier when you start paying wages of 20k a week and as a consequence.cost a family of.4 160quid to see.a.game.

LALA, I think the difference with Clubs like FC, is that they would take a conscious decision about the future based upon the welfare of the Club and supporters generally as opposed to acting like a Rabbit trapped in the headlights.

Affordable prices (agreed by the fans) along with their own unique and entrepreneurial ways of raising funds tend to determine the available budget as opposed to the budget determining the cost at the turnstile.

They rise together, they fall together and everyone buys into that and their contribution is recognised and valued. It creates an atmosphere for success, where people are prepared to pull together, prepared to go the extra mile, because there is a common goal.

One thing is for certain, if they were fortunate enough to make it to the Premier League, then the cash would be re-invested for footballing success lock stock and barrel....There would be no possibility of them "Doing a Blackpool" as I believe is the term used by fearful Portsmouth Fans these days.

As for affordable pricing at the highest level, I think the German model clearly demonstrates that when those who care about the game (i.e. the supporters) have a substantial stake in the clubs, then there is no need to take the mickey on price.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 16:42]
What division is for the working class? on 16:43 - Dec 31 with 1216 viewsRusty2Stands

What division is for the working class? on 16:34 - Dec 31 by olneyseasider

Here we go; the justification for BFC being in Leagues 1 and then 2 - believe you me lads and lassies we'll all be a lot happier there. It's where we properly belong.

Complete and utter rowlocks!!!!! What fans want are an ambitious and winning team that plays exciting football.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with that.

I'd just like to add my congratulations to BHOK for once again winning the title of dumbest poster of the year.
What division is for the working class? on 16:50 - Dec 31 with 1213 viewsLala

What division is for the working class? on 16:43 - Dec 31 by Rusty2Stands

I'd just like to add my congratulations to BHOK for once again winning the title of dumbest poster of the year.

BFC,if they actually did that if and when they rise up the ranks,then they would be a team worthy of anyone's support and every credit

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

What division is for the working class? on 17:21 - Dec 31 with 1200 viewsWizaard

What division is for the working class? on 15:52 - Dec 31 by BFCx3

There was a time not that long ago when Blackpool fans did turn up and paint the ground.

The good will of those days has been thrown in the fans' faces with the textgate scandal being the final straw for many.

There are some at the club who do and try and engage with the community, with Derek Spence being an obvious example, but the leadership at the top is the exact opposite of what you'd expect.
What division is for the working class? on 17:26 - Dec 31 with 1196 viewstangerinemoss

What division is for the working class? on 16:50 - Dec 31 by Lala

BFC,if they actually did that if and when they rise up the ranks,then they would be a team worthy of anyone's support and every credit

Read this all and was going to say about the Germans but was beaten to it. At the top level Sky money plays for the players, not crowd revenues.

Know what, if KOKO left, Belekon took over, and put out an immediate appeal for help from true fans to sort all the cladding, pink seat, painting and suchlike, reckon we could have it done in two weeks. And a new playing surface over the summer, having ditched the dumb rugby and concerts.

Let the fans have proper voting shares at a nominal tenner each, with long term guaranteed benefits, and BFC would truly once again become the pride of the Fylde.

Nurse, where's me pills ?

Life isn't fair. Learn that early on, and you will worry less and do more.
Poll: What decade did you first go to Bloomfield Road?

What division is for the working class? on 17:28 - Dec 31 with 1193 viewsseasider81

What division is for the working class? on 17:26 - Dec 31 by tangerinemoss

Read this all and was going to say about the Germans but was beaten to it. At the top level Sky money plays for the players, not crowd revenues.

Know what, if KOKO left, Belekon took over, and put out an immediate appeal for help from true fans to sort all the cladding, pink seat, painting and suchlike, reckon we could have it done in two weeks. And a new playing surface over the summer, having ditched the dumb rugby and concerts.

Let the fans have proper voting shares at a nominal tenner each, with long term guaranteed benefits, and BFC would truly once again become the pride of the Fylde.

Nurse, where's me pills ?

Has to be a Preston fan? What a pathetic post. Comparing a club like Blackpool to FC United? Have some f****g pride.
What division is for the working class? on 19:23 - Dec 31 with 1159 viewsTwelveAngryMen

What division is for the working class? on 16:19 - Dec 31 by Lala

A couple of years back the last 4 in the champions league were all majority owned by their supporters There is no reason why a supporter-owned club couldn't compete at the higher levels of the English game given the opportunity

#footballfirst

What division is for the working class? on 22:25 - Dec 31 with 1114 viewsPlumbs

What division is for the working class? on 19:23 - Dec 31 by TwelveAngryMen

A couple of years back the last 4 in the champions league were all majority owned by their supporters There is no reason why a supporter-owned club couldn't compete at the higher levels of the English game given the opportunity

I don't think it could. The best model at this sort of level is Barcelona but you'd need a catchment area the size of say Manchester to do it. You remember the Green Bay Packers guy at the FSF conference?
With the money around I can't see how genuine supporters could deal with that as indeed both Pompey and Exeter have found out recently.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

What division is for the working class? on 10:32 - Jan 1 with 1080 viewssteve_g

I think the working class game is only one where you can pay on the turnstiles for £10 or less.

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

What division is for the working class? on 16:00 - Jan 3 with 1017 viewsAVFTTConvert

What division is for the working class? on 10:32 - Jan 1 by steve_g

I think the working class game is only one where you can pay on the turnstiles for £10 or less.

Still enjoy going to watch Non league games - £7 a pop - proper fans and you actually always get your value for money and it's a pleasure to see the one or two players who could step up.

Poll: Worst 'Regular' First Teamer at the moment?

What division is for the working class? on 17:10 - Jan 3 with 993 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

What division is for the working class? on 16:00 - Jan 3 by AVFTTConvert

Still enjoy going to watch Non league games - £7 a pop - proper fans and you actually always get your value for money and it's a pleasure to see the one or two players who could step up.

I think the fans of FCUM want to have it both ways. They like to portray themselves as fighting corporate greed, but when you come across them they sit around singing songs about Best, Charlton and Cantona.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

What division is for the working class? on 18:11 - Jan 3 with 979 viewsOdinsRaven

What division is for the working class? on 17:10 - Jan 3 by basilrobbiereborn

I think the fans of FCUM want to have it both ways. They like to portray themselves as fighting corporate greed, but when you come across them they sit around singing songs about Best, Charlton and Cantona.

Lala and her lover basil gobbie ignore the fact it works in Germany across the entire leagues, not just on a club by club basis. You are part of the problem not part of the solution. Keep on festering in the damp darkness...
What division is for the working class? on 19:01 - Jan 3 with 973 viewsPlumbs

What division is for the working class? on 17:10 - Jan 3 by basilrobbiereborn

Bazbob:
I think those fans saw the end of their club when it was sold to the Glazers and I think they have a point.
Not like the old days when fans fromthe Fylde Coast of ManU and Leeds battled on Preston Bus Station around 1980

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024