Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are planes getting less safe? 15:35 - Feb 4 with 6568 viewsParlay

There seems to have been a record amount of plane crashes and incidents in recent years. And just today we have a Taiwan Jet plan crashing with harrowing footage underneath killing half the people on board.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/04/video-plane-crash-in-taipei

Im an awful flyer. Not good for someone that lives 10,000 miles away. Anybody else a bad flyer or have any opinions on it being safe or unsafe as a mode of transport?

Stats, theories all welcome.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:24 - Feb 4 with 1975 viewsPozuelosSideys

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:57 - Feb 4 by icecoldjack

BBC reports the mayday from the pilot said "mayday mayday engine flame out "

An engine flame out can be a fuel starvation problem, which could in theory effect both engines.

I agree that a plane should be able to fly on one engine but maybe the aircraft reached stall speed due to either trying to lift up or turn too agressively or by the pilot trying to fight the controls .

I must stress Im no expert! but im sure the boffins will have this one sussed out by the end of the week

This is apparently the second crash of this model plane in 7 months.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 22:06]

Have you seen the pictures that were taken of it over the motorway? Truely shocking.

Looks like a stall and the pilot tried to pull up/away from the motorway and just slapped over and on to the ground.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:31 - Feb 4 with 1967 viewsjackonicko

In short, the planes are safer than ever but the pilots are less talented. Too much button pushing, not enough stick and rudder.

I'll get on a plane any time, any where. Have done for many years, many times, including Africa and the CIS. ironically, the only airline I actively avoid is Air France. I'll use them if I have to, but only an absolute last resort.
Are planes getting less safe? on 22:35 - Feb 4 with 1961 viewsMrSwerve

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:31 - Feb 4 by jackonicko

In short, the planes are safer than ever but the pilots are less talented. Too much button pushing, not enough stick and rudder.

I'll get on a plane any time, any where. Have done for many years, many times, including Africa and the CIS. ironically, the only airline I actively avoid is Air France. I'll use them if I have to, but only an absolute last resort.

Pilots are just as 'talented' now as they ever have been. The amount of training they go through, and constant check ups, is unreal.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:35 - Feb 4 with 1957 viewsPozuelosSideys

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:31 - Feb 4 by jackonicko

Why Air France?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:41 - Feb 4 with 1951 viewsskippyjack

More airports have opened.. more planes are flying = more accidents.. the world's corrupt!.. unskilled.. give me a job..
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 22:45]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:48 - Feb 4 with 1949 viewsjackonicko

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:35 - Feb 4 by MrSwerve

Pilots are just as 'talented' now as they ever have been. The amount of training they go through, and constant check ups, is unreal.

The problem is that planes are now so automated, the pilots get very little hands on flying time. Airline SOPs require the use of automatics in many situations, so that pilots don't even get the option to get a bit of practice in.

Some airlines are more enlightened.

If you read the findings of reports from Boeing, Airbus, the FAA, NTSB and others, they all point to erosion of manual flying skills as a concern.

9999/10000 it doesn't matter. But when the automatics let you down for some dull reason, due to say a frozen sensor, the pilot has to step in. If you look at most of the recent accidents - AF447, Buffalo, and likely Air Asia, the pilots crashed a perfectly serviceable aeroplane due pilot error.

That error is due to lack of manual flying skills, particularly in the cruise where the envelope between stall speed and over speed is very small.

Doesn't stop me getting on a plane. My record is 101 separate flights in one calendar year - 2012. Still the safest way to travel. But you can be selective about airlines to increase your odds. see: Air France.
Are planes getting less safe? on 22:50 - Feb 4 with 1942 viewsSwansNZ

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:41 - Feb 4 by skippyjack

More airports have opened.. more planes are flying = more accidents.. the world's corrupt!.. unskilled.. give me a job..
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 22:45]

You want to be a pilot in Asia?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:53 - Feb 4 with 1937 viewsSwansNZ

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:48 - Feb 4 by jackonicko

The problem is that planes are now so automated, the pilots get very little hands on flying time. Airline SOPs require the use of automatics in many situations, so that pilots don't even get the option to get a bit of practice in.

Some airlines are more enlightened.

If you read the findings of reports from Boeing, Airbus, the FAA, NTSB and others, they all point to erosion of manual flying skills as a concern.

9999/10000 it doesn't matter. But when the automatics let you down for some dull reason, due to say a frozen sensor, the pilot has to step in. If you look at most of the recent accidents - AF447, Buffalo, and likely Air Asia, the pilots crashed a perfectly serviceable aeroplane due pilot error.

That error is due to lack of manual flying skills, particularly in the cruise where the envelope between stall speed and over speed is very small.

Doesn't stop me getting on a plane. My record is 101 separate flights in one calendar year - 2012. Still the safest way to travel. But you can be selective about airlines to increase your odds. see: Air France.

was that 101 separate flights for one holiday?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Login to get fewer ads

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:55 - Feb 4 with 1929 viewsjackonicko

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:53 - Feb 4 by SwansNZ

was that 101 separate flights for one holiday?

Sadly not. I think 99 were for work that year :)
Are planes getting less safe? on 23:17 - Feb 4 with 1914 viewsskippyjack

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:50 - Feb 4 by SwansNZ

You want to be a pilot in Asia?

F*cking right.. have you seen the salaries in the middle east for Pilots!.. I'd be raking in millions and a hefty millionaires pension.. for sitting on my arse.. eating meals..sleeping and watching countless films.. plus I bet some pilots have damaged the backdoors of the 'cockpit' crew.. what a doddle..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Are planes getting less safe? on 23:19 - Feb 4 with 1910 viewsjackonicko

Are planes getting less safe? on 23:17 - Feb 4 by skippyjack

F*cking right.. have you seen the salaries in the middle east for Pilots!.. I'd be raking in millions and a hefty millionaires pension.. for sitting on my arse.. eating meals..sleeping and watching countless films.. plus I bet some pilots have damaged the backdoors of the 'cockpit' crew.. what a doddle..

Too right. And some of the cockpit crew might have been women as well.
Are planes getting less safe? on 23:33 - Feb 4 with 1899 viewsskippyjack

Are planes getting less safe? on 23:19 - Feb 4 by jackonicko

Too right. And some of the cockpit crew might have been women as well.

I've heard a few stories of the pilots.. they're knobbing these young flight attendants daily.. especially with these young women these days.. they see a £50 note they start feeling themselves.. God knows what they'll do when a pilot in uniform is walking around.

Are planes getting less safe? on 00:11 - Feb 5 with 1886 viewsazjack

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Stats from 1950 through 2009 - pilot error averages out at 53% per plane crash followed by mechanical failure at 20%.

Number of fatal accidents per year (on civil aircraft with >19 passengers)
has declined from a high of 42 in 1972 to a low of 6 in 2014.

Number of overall fatalities per year bounces around between 500 and over 1500 with a couple of spikes over 2000

Don't know about Air France but I'd avoid Malasian Air at all costs - and sooner or later Quantas is due their first major accident. If your name is on the bullet..............

Bottom line though - even if you do fly every other day of the year, you're more likely to die of food poisoning than from a plane crash
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 0:17]
Are planes getting less safe? on 10:57 - Feb 5 with 1808 viewsZut_Alors

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31132573
Are planes getting less safe? on 19:25 - Feb 5 with 1768 viewsnavyjack

Are planes getting less safe? on 22:35 - Feb 4 by MrSwerve

I speak with the guys that train our helicopter pilots regularly; and they all tell me that the young pilots coming through are of an extremely high standard early; their dexterity and reactions are good, so they take little training: this is probably due to most of them being adept at video games and simulators, which means the instructors biggest challenge is convincing/teaching them that you cant reset the game..and you only have one 'life'!!..
Are planes getting less safe? on 20:50 - Feb 5 with 1784 viewsJackFish

I used to enjoy flying when I was younger, but I've definitely got worse as I got older.

When I was in Malaysia a few ago I flew from KL to Sandakan with Air Asia, as we were coming in to land there we flew through a storm and you could see the pilot struggling to keep the wings even as we descended. He aborted in the end and diverted to KK, never been as scared as when we were climbing back up through the storm not knowing what the hell was going on. We were probably completely safe but when you're in that situation it definitely doesn't feel like it!
Are planes getting less safe? on 20:53 - Feb 5 with 1783 viewsJackFish

Also I don't think it's getting less safe. Most of the incidents involve older planes in less developed countries, it's very rare for a modern plane with one of the major airlines to have a mechanical failure now.

When you compare how safe things are now with August 1985, for example, things are definitely better. You used to get planes falling apart due to being badly maintained, planes being blown up by terrorists or getting hijacked, that doesn't really happen any more.
Are planes getting less safe? on 20:55 - Feb 5 with 1781 viewsJackFish

Also while I'm here, has anyone read the site below, relating to the Air France plane that went down in the Atlantic a few years ago? The cockpit transcripts scare the sh*t out of me, with one of the pilots holding his stick down to pull the nose up and all of them ignoring the stall warning.

http://www.airfrance447.com/
Are planes getting less safe? on 21:29 - Feb 5 with 1768 viewsPozuelosSideys

Are planes getting less safe? on 20:55 - Feb 5 by JackFish

Also while I'm here, has anyone read the site below, relating to the Air France plane that went down in the Atlantic a few years ago? The cockpit transcripts scare the sh*t out of me, with one of the pilots holding his stick down to pull the nose up and all of them ignoring the stall warning.

Theres a documentary/reconstruction of this floating around somewhere. Think it was a BBC one. They went through the whole thing with all the blackbox recordings of the pilots speaking etc. Had a countdown clock and the like. Was really eerie listening to the last few minutes before it disappeared off the radar.

Heres a link:
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 21:32]

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:30 - Feb 5 with 1767 viewsMrSwerve

Are planes getting less safe? on 20:55 - Feb 5 by JackFish

I'm always surprised that we still rely on pitot tubes. Tampered with very easily.

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:37 - Feb 5 with 1760 viewsSwanzay

'Are planes less safe' in a big word NO.
Having worked in the industry for many years, you will not find a more diligent sector, the amount of research, design, strategy, that goes into aircraft manufacture is immense!

Its one of the fastest moving technologies and the engineers certainly earn their crust.

I was lucky enough to witness the maiden flight of the new A350 last year, awesome.
Are planes getting less safe? on 23:03 - Feb 5 with 1740 viewsMrSwerve

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:37 - Feb 5 by Swanzay

Having worked in the industry for many years, you will not find a more diligent sector, the amount of research, design, strategy, that goes into aircraft manufacture is immense!

Its one of the fastest moving technologies and the engineers certainly earn their crust.

I was lucky enough to witness the maiden flight of the new A350 last year, awesome.

The a350 is a thing of beauty.

Are planes getting less safe? on 12:03 - Feb 9 with 1668 viewsJackFish

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:29 - Feb 5 by PozuelosSideys

Theres a documentary/reconstruction of this floating around somewhere. Think it was a BBC one. They went through the whole thing with all the blackbox recordings of the pilots speaking etc. Had a countdown clock and the like. Was really eerie listening to the last few minutes before it disappeared off the radar.

Heres a link:
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 21:32]

Cheers for that, looks very interesting, will have to give it a watch when I'm home from work.
Are planes getting less safe? on 13:09 - Feb 9 with 1654 viewsjackonicko

Are planes getting less safe? on 12:03 - Feb 9 by JackFish

Cheers for that, looks very interesting, will have to give it a watch when I'm home from work.

AF447 is a poster child for pilots flying perfectly serviceable aeroplanes into the ground. But it is far from the only example. The two recent Asia crashes also appear to be the same. The 777 crash at SFO is also a prime example. Spot the trend there?

Hence my earlier point about picking airlines. BA38 at Heathrow and the Sully glide into the Hudson are the opposite examples of true airmanship dealing with a broken aeroplane, and using true skill and judgement to save all on board. Both are examples of why we will not see pilotless aeroplanes in our lifetimes (in my view).

Aeroplanes are safer than they ever were. Which means flying is safer than it ever was. But how humans deal with those moments when the clever automatics go wrong is the defining factor of safety. And you have a choice when you book.

Just my view anyway.
Are planes getting less safe? on 13:16 - Feb 9 with 1650 viewsParlay

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:37 - Feb 5 by Swanzay

But you could also say that about space travel and that is fraught with danger.

I don't know, i just find it odd that 1000's of people die on the every year. Why don't we have some sort of system to save people.

If a ship goes down then you have the chance of the lifeboats.

It is just so final. If there is a catastrophic failure with the plane then thats it, people just have to sit there and watch themselves crash. Cant there be some sort of parachute evacuation system? I don't understand why steps like this haven't been taken in decades of planes crashing.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024