Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too lop sided? 12:39 - Sep 20 with 4439 viewsAyewSerious

At Watford when the team was read out, I was quietly condfident. Lots of creativity all over the park I thought to myself.

However, it was clear within a few minutes that we were seriously lacking width, a trait we have not become familiar with at Swansea. I said it out loud, "we will struggle to break these down".

The narrow nature of our play unfortunately continued. This was making our attacks seriously predictable, very narrow and easy to manage.

Swansea are at their most potent when they are stretching the opponants, it is quite easy to contain a team that is narrow and attacks through the middle, everyone just condenses.

This continued until Montero came on and we directed our attacks through him.

The same happened yesterday. If we play down the left then we will play with width, if we play down the right side then the attacks will be through the middle.

Everton realised this instantly. We currently have a winger on one side and a striker/number 10 on the other that plays just off Gomis.

We look to be missing the Dyer/Rangel interplay. As soon as our Kyle Naughton has the ball over half way, there is rarely anybody in the channel ahead of him, unless someone like Jonjo makes the run from center midfield.

The natural width, or lack of, on the right is affecting us right now and we dont look like scoring or anywhere near as dangerous. Teams have done their homework.

The trouble is now, what do we do? Gylfi is a class act and I am sure will be again if we have two natural wingers. Shelvey has been rampant of late. Cork is doing the Britton job faultlessly and Ayew is a Champions league quality player. This all withiut mentioning Ki who was my player of the year last year.

Suggestions?
Too lop sided? on 17:03 - Sep 20 with 1188 viewsNeathJack

Too lop sided? on 17:01 - Sep 20 by AnotherJohn

Perhaps not quite on topic, but is it my imagination that the pitch has been shortened? The south goal didn't seem as near the stand as usual - though admittedly I don't normally sit at that end and so wasn't completely sure. I wonder whether Gary is trying to compress the play and is not keen on too many wide-open spaces.

You're not allowed to any more. Standard pitch size of 105m x 68m unless the stadium construction doesn't allow it.
Too lop sided? on 17:05 - Sep 20 with 1188 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 16:30 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

I think that is a naive view personally.

Of course I dont think we should sell everyone not in the first team, we need squad players.

Squad players are those that usually are aware that is what they are, people who arent proven or have a history of happy bench warming usually. This is the reason Gomis wanted out when Bony was here, and why Britton and Dyer were/are unhappy after prolonged periods in the stands or on the bench.

I think it is a realitic view that Gylfi will not be happy to be a bench warmer. That isnt him saying he is bigger than the club. It is him saying he wants first team football (which if I remember was the reason he stated he came here for).

If he is dropped to solve this issue as you have suggested, then that probably means him going elsewhere to find first team football. Not sure what there is to argue about with that. Every action has a reaction.

Right, if Gylfi, or anyone else isn't performing they get dropped. If they are not happy at being on the bench and they can't force themselves back into the first 11, then they get sold. It really is that simple. You can make it as complicated as you want, it's straight forward in reality.

Gylfi, is that you by the way? Welcome to the forum.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Too lop sided? on 17:09 - Sep 20 with 1185 viewsAyewSerious

Its not ludicrous at all. He isnt performing because of this system we are playing in order to accomodate Ayew, not because he has become a bad player. There is essentially another player playing on his toes, we have two number 10's.

If a player isnt performing well in our long term system then I would agree, as he doesnt suit our style of play. However, we all know Gylfi does fit our usual style of play - incredibly well in fact and can be devastating - and usually is.

Again if this was a computer game it would be easy. But it is not. For me, this suggestion is affecting our long term plans to fix the short term which is something Garry clearly has also noted which is why we have changed the system rather than the personel.

I don't see us playing this system in 3 years time for example. I think this system has been designed purely to fit in our surplus of central and attacking midfielders. So while dropping Gylfi does solve this issue immediately and restores natural balance to the midfield, it creates a long term issue.

That issue is that Gylfi has the potential to become our number 10 for the next 5-6 years and excell. But I can see him being happy to be benched waiting for Ayew to move on.

If you think sacrificing Gylfi in a Swans shirt forever (not your direct suggestion but certainly a very realistic side effect) to solve this issue is a good idea then fair enough. I am not comfortable with it however, and im sure Garry wouldn't be.

But opinions are what makes football so great.
Too lop sided? on 17:12 - Sep 20 with 1180 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 17:09 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

Its not ludicrous at all. He isnt performing because of this system we are playing in order to accomodate Ayew, not because he has become a bad player. There is essentially another player playing on his toes, we have two number 10's.

If a player isnt performing well in our long term system then I would agree, as he doesnt suit our style of play. However, we all know Gylfi does fit our usual style of play - incredibly well in fact and can be devastating - and usually is.

Again if this was a computer game it would be easy. But it is not. For me, this suggestion is affecting our long term plans to fix the short term which is something Garry clearly has also noted which is why we have changed the system rather than the personel.

I don't see us playing this system in 3 years time for example. I think this system has been designed purely to fit in our surplus of central and attacking midfielders. So while dropping Gylfi does solve this issue immediately and restores natural balance to the midfield, it creates a long term issue.

That issue is that Gylfi has the potential to become our number 10 for the next 5-6 years and excell. But I can see him being happy to be benched waiting for Ayew to move on.

If you think sacrificing Gylfi in a Swans shirt forever (not your direct suggestion but certainly a very realistic side effect) to solve this issue is a good idea then fair enough. I am not comfortable with it however, and im sure Garry wouldn't be.

You really are trying to over complicate things.

Gylfi hasn't been performing since the tail end of last season.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Too lop sided? on 17:12 - Sep 20 with 1178 viewsJackSomething

Too lop sided? on 17:09 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

There's an argument he's been well below his best ever since Bony left. He certainly has formed nothing like the same partnership with Gomis. It's a concern certainly.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Too lop sided? on 17:18 - Sep 20 with 1159 viewsAyewSerious

I dont feel that is what I am doing at all. I think it is the genuine state of play.

It is two mind sets. You are looking at the short term problem solving aspect, which is fine. But there is also another train of thought which is the long term thinking, which is clearly my preference. They clash on this subject.

Ive never been one to sacrifice long term for short term - but there is no right or wrong. I am not saying you are wrong at all, for clarity, I am saying I am not comfortable with omitting a player who could be a star for many years for us from the side due to what I believe is a loss of form which, again, I believe has come from accomodating a player we have for the relative short term.

I see your point, truly I do. I just respectfully disagree that it is the best way forward. As I am afraid situations like this are complicated by their very nature of combining footballing decisions with human decision making and reactions.
Too lop sided? on 17:20 - Sep 20 with 1155 viewsAyewSerious

Too lop sided? on 17:12 - Sep 20 by JackSomething

There's an argument he's been well below his best ever since Bony left. He certainly has formed nothing like the same partnership with Gomis. It's a concern certainly.

Yes I see that too. Possibly a very valid argument as well.
Too lop sided? on 17:22 - Sep 20 with 1150 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 17:18 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

I dont feel that is what I am doing at all. I think it is the genuine state of play.

It is two mind sets. You are looking at the short term problem solving aspect, which is fine. But there is also another train of thought which is the long term thinking, which is clearly my preference. They clash on this subject.

Ive never been one to sacrifice long term for short term - but there is no right or wrong. I am not saying you are wrong at all, for clarity, I am saying I am not comfortable with omitting a player who could be a star for many years for us from the side due to what I believe is a loss of form which, again, I believe has come from accomodating a player we have for the relative short term.

I see your point, truly I do. I just respectfully disagree that it is the best way forward. As I am afraid situations like this are complicated by their very nature of combining footballing decisions with human decision making and reactions.

Are you American by any chance?

You seem to be suggesting then, that we build our team around Gylfi? He's not a good enough player for that to happen. He hasn't performed for quite a while now, even in the old system.

Login to get fewer ads

Too lop sided? on 17:28 - Sep 20 with 1143 viewsAyewSerious

Too lop sided? on 17:22 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

Are you American by any chance?

You seem to be suggesting then, that we build our team around Gylfi? He's not a good enough player for that to happen. He hasn't performed for quite a while now, even in the old system.

I am not suggesting anything actually, I have no idea how to solve this. I was just commenting on your suggestion, and why it isnt a comfortable suggestion from my point of view.

I think we have a nucleus that we could have for a very long time and something (a long term nucleus) which historically has brought great success to sides. Shelvey, Cork and Gylfi could be our central midfield for the next 6 years.

So possibly yes, I do like the suggestion of building around these players. But then I also recognise players like Ayew also need to be utilised while they are here.

Its a tough balancing act as im sure you can appreciate.
Too lop sided? on 17:39 - Sep 20 with 1127 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 17:28 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

I am not suggesting anything actually, I have no idea how to solve this. I was just commenting on your suggestion, and why it isnt a comfortable suggestion from my point of view.

I think we have a nucleus that we could have for a very long time and something (a long term nucleus) which historically has brought great success to sides. Shelvey, Cork and Gylfi could be our central midfield for the next 6 years.

So possibly yes, I do like the suggestion of building around these players. But then I also recognise players like Ayew also need to be utilised while they are here.

Its a tough balancing act as im sure you can appreciate.

I really have no idea what you're trying to solve? Player A isn't performing, player B is given a go in his position and performs well. Player A is then on the Bench until either player B stops performing or gets injured. Forget the players names, just use the above as you seem to be hung up on Gylfi for some reason.

Anyway, i'll leave you to it because like i said earlier, i have no idea what you are trying to solve. That's not being disrespectful to you.

Too lop sided? on 17:48 - Sep 20 with 1120 viewsAyewSerious

Too lop sided? on 17:39 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

I really have no idea what you're trying to solve? Player A isn't performing, player B is given a go in his position and performs well. Player A is then on the Bench until either player B stops performing or gets injured. Forget the players names, just use the above as you seem to be hung up on Gylfi for some reason.

Anyway, i'll leave you to it because like i said earlier, i have no idea what you are trying to solve. That's not being disrespectful to you.

Well I am not trying to solve anything, only discuss the problem that has emerged recently with our right flank being bare and fruitless and what actions could be taken to rectify it without affecting our long term plans.

So far, for me, I am yet to hear a suggestion that fulfills the brief.

As I have explained, for my thinking, then it isnt as simple as "A not playing well so replace with B", if it were that simple then we would all be managers.

There are factors around player A not performing, along with the long term plan for player A and the possible short term plan for player C (hope you dont mind me adding a letter?).

I undertstand your way of thinking, i just dont agree with it. Not to say it is wrong however.
Too lop sided? on 17:50 - Sep 20 with 1117 viewsDarran

Einstein A Go Go.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024