Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we witnessing a sea change in football 23:24 - Mar 13 with 4442 viewscentrestandswan

and are we being left behind ?

Hibs v Ross County , Ross County had less possession but won
Arse v Watford , Watford again less possession but won
Bournemouth v Swans same again
Man C v Leicester same again.
Spurs v Leicester

Teams that sit back absorb pressure break quickly seem to be gaining the upper hand. Not scientific but it does appear that if you dwell on the ball and are unable to deliver a cutting pass to the forwards the opposition will just overwhelm you, obvious really. This style of play is on the up ,not new by any means but effective yes against the more traditional footballing sides.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 23:30 - Mar 14 with 1009 viewsmysonsarejacks

Is it 'seed change'??

Running is the new passing. Most winning teams in PL are covering more distance.

Poll: John Terry transfer ?

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 06:34 - Mar 15 with 966 viewswaynekerr55

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 23:30 - Mar 14 by mysonsarejacks

Is it 'seed change'??

Running is the new passing. Most winning teams in PL are covering more distance.

Which explains why they're getting popped in Europe

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 10:49 - Mar 15 with 923 viewsicecoldjack

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 06:34 - Mar 15 by waynekerr55

Which explains why they're getting popped in Europe

Exactly, let's remember that the ball can run faster than the man !

Look how europes teams are combining good fitness with technical football,thus leaving the prem league behind in euro competition.
Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 12:02 - Mar 15 with 904 viewswaynekerr55

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 10:49 - Mar 15 by icecoldjack

Exactly, let's remember that the ball can run faster than the man !

Look how europes teams are combining good fitness with technical football,thus leaving the prem league behind in euro competition.

You are Brian Clough and I claim my five pounds

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 12:36 - Mar 15 with 894 viewsStarsky

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 11:59 - Mar 14 by Private_Partz

Exactly. Also it is mix and match. Knowing when to go direct and when to keep ball. That can depend on the opposition. Plans A and B and all that. ML could go direct ad well. Remember Michu's brace at Aresenal? Possession footbal still has its place for me. West Brom and Palace can do their own thing as it suits the type of player they have. I know which I would prefer to watch.

Posession football, as publically stated by Huw Jenkins a couple of years ago, was our philosophy because you could play this system with inferior players, IE Mark Gower etc.
If we're not playing that system anymore then more and more of our players will be found wanting and we'll have to spend more on replacements, with the bargain buys becoming a thing of the past.

Let's rewind 4 years and get back to what we do best.

It's just the internet, init.

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 13:55 - Mar 15 with 874 viewsGlyn1

And yet we score an above average number of our goals in the second half. Does that mean that we tire opponents out, or just that we're slow starters?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 14:21 - Mar 15 with 865 viewsjack247

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 13:55 - Mar 15 by Glyn1

And yet we score an above average number of our goals in the second half. Does that mean that we tire opponents out, or just that we're slow starters?

I'm surprised by that, up until fairly recently I'd have said we looked better in the first half of most games, hadn't really considered when we scored our goals.

Probing possession football like we used to play when we were at our best certainly tires opponents out. You need a lot of the ball and to be making them chase it all afternoon though. Sideways passes between centre backs is possession for possessions sake and most teams won't bother exerting themselves, they will just drop back a bit.
Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 15:45 - Mar 15 with 848 viewsmonmouth

When we play Villa, are we still the two lowest scorers, or has someone else got that accolade now? Could be a painful old 90 of huffing and puffing. I'm still irritated we couldn't put west ham away when they refused to venture over the halfway line.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 21:06 - Mar 15 with 785 viewsSwansNZ

Are we witnessing a sea change in football on 15:45 - Mar 15 by monmouth

When we play Villa, are we still the two lowest scorers, or has someone else got that accolade now? Could be a painful old 90 of huffing and puffing. I'm still irritated we couldn't put west ham away when they refused to venture over the halfway line.

We've scored 30

Villa 22
Newcastle 28
Watford 29

have less.

WBA have 30 too

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024