Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk...... 22:40 - Mar 25 with 19961 viewssully49

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/7025773/Aston-Villa-consider
He should do well in the Championship, I hope he gets it.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Garry Monk...... on 09:32 - Mar 30 with 1277 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 09:11 - Mar 30 by Joe_bradshaw

The first time we saw the diamond was against Manchester United at home last season. With the benefit of hindsight it might have been better if it hadn't resulted in three points and subsequently adopted as our new way to play.

Absolutely. The old way worked just fine.
Garry Monk...... on 09:51 - Mar 30 with 1243 viewsacejack3065

Garry Monk...... on 09:29 - Mar 30 by monmouth

We we played narrow and defended for the whole game. The deflected winner was our only shot of the second half as we sat deep 10 behind the ball.

My, how we celebrated the tactical genius involved.

correct me if I'm wrong but I remember pundits falling over themselves to congratulate G-Monk after that switch up.
Garry Monk...... on 10:01 - Mar 30 with 1225 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 09:51 - Mar 30 by acejack3065

correct me if I'm wrong but I remember pundits falling over themselves to congratulate G-Monk after that switch up.

None of us complained. I had forgotten it was against Man Utd, but against them with a weakened midfield (I think Shelvey was on a longish ban and Ki was away in the Asian cup), any way of getting a point would have been sensational, let alone three. The problem came when he sacrificed out way of playing in order to do it every week.
Garry Monk...... on 10:06 - Mar 30 with 1215 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I can't remember the team but it was Shelvey's shot that Gomis tried to get out of the way of that glanced off his head for the winner.

The diamond would be fine as a plan for certain games now and again but not as plan A.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Garry Monk...... on 10:07 - Mar 30 with 1211 viewsmonmouth

Garry Monk...... on 09:51 - Mar 30 by acejack3065

Indeed, we all did. Plus the genius substitution against Arsensal bringing on Barrow and Gomis.

Winning counts for a lot in the opinion stakes.

Thinking about it, for what it's worth I reckon it was that 5-0 loss at home to Chelsea was the watershed though, not ManU, which came afterwards. If memory serves right we then shut up shop for a 1-0 smash and grab at Soton and that became concrete gameplan central. It's easy to forget the bile and shitstorm that followed that 5-0 game in our 'highest ever prem finish season'. At that stage it looked like we, and Monk, were in big trouble. A few defensive diamond based wins later and all was ok. Not surprising he became obsessed with it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Garry Monk...... on 10:09 - Mar 30 with 1206 viewsmonmouth

Garry Monk...... on 10:01 - Mar 30 by jack247

None of us complained. I had forgotten it was against Man Utd, but against them with a weakened midfield (I think Shelvey was on a longish ban and Ki was away in the Asian cup), any way of getting a point would have been sensational, let alone three. The problem came when he sacrificed out way of playing in order to do it every week.

Didn't Ki score the first and Shelvey hit the winning shot off pouty frog?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Garry Monk...... on 10:16 - Mar 30 with 1193 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 10:09 - Mar 30 by monmouth

Didn't Ki score the first and Shelvey hit the winning shot off pouty frog?

Yes you are right! Must have been a different game we first played the diamond. I remember it being at home and the midfield being decimated. I'm sure Fulton played. Shelvey was on his long ban after the elbow at Liverpool and Ki was away for a month of so.
Garry Monk...... on 10:23 - Mar 30 with 1185 viewsacejack3065

Garry Monk...... on 10:16 - Mar 30 by jack247

Yes you are right! Must have been a different game we first played the diamond. I remember it being at home and the midfield being decimated. I'm sure Fulton played. Shelvey was on his long ban after the elbow at Liverpool and Ki was away for a month of so.

i can remember a home pre-season friendly where our midfield got decimated.
Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk...... on 10:33 - Mar 30 with 1167 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 10:23 - Mar 30 by acejack3065

i can remember a home pre-season friendly where our midfield got decimated.

I meant decimated by injuries/suspensions/international call ups, not played off the park. That was against one of the Spanish teams. We tried Bony and Gomis up front with Siggy on the wing.
N/A. on 14:24 - Apr 11 with 965 viewsHuw57

Garry Monk...... on 10:33 - Mar 30 by jack247

I meant decimated by injuries/suspensions/international call ups, not played off the park. That was against one of the Spanish teams. We tried Bony and Gomis up front with Siggy on the wing.

N/A.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 1:11]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Garry Monk...... on 14:47 - Apr 11 with 921 viewsjasper_T

Garry Monk...... on 10:33 - Mar 30 by jack247

Bartley played. Goes without saying.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024