Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Consumer law help 22:48 - Sep 3 with 3235 viewsswanstillidai

I have just bought an item off a reputable website advertised for £99 but I know for a fact the item should be £1,099.

I have paid for and ordered four of the items and received email confirmations complete with order numbers.

I am expecting delivery on Tuesday.

Am I rich?
They have to honour it don't they?
[Post edited 3 Sep 2016 22:50]
Consumer law help on 22:51 - Sep 3 with 3224 viewsSwanzay

No, sorry
Consumer law help on 22:56 - Sep 3 with 3214 viewsswanstillidai

Consumer law help on 22:51 - Sep 3 by Swanzay

No, sorry

Fact?
Consumer law help on 23:03 - Sep 3 with 3196 viewsSwanzay

If a price is in correctly advertised on the net then they can say it was an error and not legally binding and not obliged to to honour the transaction.
However if they haven't noticed you may get lucky!
link?
Consumer law help on 23:07 - Sep 3 with 3186 viewsswanstillidai

Consumer law help on 23:03 - Sep 3 by Swanzay

If a price is in correctly advertised on the net then they can say it was an error and not legally binding and not obliged to to honour the transaction.
However if they haven't noticed you may get lucky!
link?

Hmmm...I'd better keep everything crossed they turn up then.

I'll link you up on Wednesday if they arrive. No way am I jinxing this!!
Consumer law help on 23:12 - Sep 3 with 3172 viewsSwanzay

Wednesday, you think they will not notice before then.....cheers, could pm at least!
Consumer law help on 23:17 - Sep 3 with 3160 viewsswanstillidai

Consumer law help on 23:12 - Sep 3 by Swanzay

Wednesday, you think they will not notice before then.....cheers, could pm at least!

Its a trade site so access is limited.

I'm keeping the source under my hat for a minute. Thanks for the advice. If they arrive and I shift them on I will buy you a pint of mild before a future swans game for all your help 👍
Consumer law help on 09:45 - Sep 4 with 3065 viewsBigPhilG

Consumer law help on 22:51 - Sep 3 by Swanzay

No, sorry

Yes you are quite right. If they do notice an obvious error they don't have to legally honour the agreement and just cancel the order.
Consumer law help on 09:53 - Sep 4 with 3046 viewsmonmouth

I did something similar once, not for that price difference, and they simply never turned up. An offer for sale does not constitute a contract, or something. That's why all websites tend to state E&OE somewhere in the T&Cs.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Consumer law help on 10:08 - Sep 4 with 3021 viewssherpajacob

For a legally binding contract to be in force, there needs to be "offer and acceptance"

Goods advertised, in a shop or on line at £x do not constitute an offer, you the customer make the offer to the retailer by offering £99. The retailer may accept or reject your offer of £99. If they reject it, no contract is in place and you have no grounds to demand the goods.

If they deliver the goods, that would be deemed as them accepting the offer.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Consumer law help on 15:11 - Sep 4 with 2942 viewsjedijack

You've probably done yourself no favours ordering more than 1 of said item.
Consumer law help on 15:15 - Sep 4 with 2939 viewsLord_Bony

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10602641/Pr

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Consumer law help on 16:13 - Sep 4 with 2885 viewsswanstillidai

Consumer law help on 15:11 - Sep 4 by jedijack

You've probably done yourself no favours ordering more than 1 of said item.

Yeah I know, but greed got the better of me.

Just hoping there's a breakdown in communication their end now.
Consumer law help on 19:02 - Sep 4 with 2800 viewsdickythorpe

I remember on this very website about 5 years ago a poster told everyone Amazon had a glitch whereby Apple Mac laptops were £69 instead of £1,009

Many ordered one only to get an email saying Amazon couldn't honour the price due to a pricing error.
In law I believe you would be told that it was pretty obvious that £69 was too cheap so the retailer has the right to inform you of the error and refuse the sale.

If you get a way with it then good on you!
Consumer law help on 09:40 - Sep 5 with 2670 viewsdna

The price on the website is "An invitation to treat" - basically giving you the opportunity to make an offer, they can decline the offer.

Similarly, if on a garage forecourt a car was up for £1,999, instead of £21,999 because a number 'sticker' had fallen off, you can't expect to pay the lower price
Consumer law help on 20:04 - Sep 5 with 2509 viewsClinton

Could the buyer argue that Email confirmations and order numbers constitute 'acceptance' by the retailer ?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Consumer law help on 20:15 - Sep 5 with 2496 viewsjedijack

Consumer law help on 20:04 - Sep 5 by Clinton

Could the buyer argue that Email confirmations and order numbers constitute 'acceptance' by the retailer ?

no
Consumer law help on 20:26 - Sep 5 with 2478 viewsClinton

Consumer law help on 20:15 - Sep 5 by jedijack

no

Thank you.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Consumer law help on 20:38 - Sep 5 with 2466 viewsjedijack

Consumer law help on 20:26 - Sep 5 by Clinton

Thank you.

It's something that's been discussed on hotukdeals hundreds of times over the years. Almost never do these things come off and any company worth their salt will have it in their terms to protect against this kind of thing.

Got to be in it to win it as they say, I've tried a number of times myself. Rule number 1 is to never order more than 1, especially when it comes to something expensive. Best of luck to the OP but I'll be amazed if this comes off.
Consumer law help on 20:46 - Sep 5 with 2441 viewsswanstillidai

Just found this in my spam folder.

Email arrived at 09.02 this morning

I regret to inform you that the item you requested on our website was incorrectly priced. As you will have noticed the item should have been priced at £999.90 + vat but the decimal point was added incorrectly making the advertised price £99.99 + vat. This is a clear and obvious error as an item of this value could never intentionally be sold at the advertised price.

The item was removed from sale and corrected as soon as the error was realised.
Your credit card will be refunded with the full amount.

Please accept our apology for this error.

Consumer law help on 21:10 - Sep 5 with 2412 viewsGowerjack

Consumer law help on 20:46 - Sep 5 by swanstillidai

Just found this in my spam folder.

Email arrived at 09.02 this morning

I regret to inform you that the item you requested on our website was incorrectly priced. As you will have noticed the item should have been priced at £999.90 + vat but the decimal point was added incorrectly making the advertised price £99.99 + vat. This is a clear and obvious error as an item of this value could never intentionally be sold at the advertised price.

The item was removed from sale and corrected as soon as the error was realised.
Your credit card will be refunded with the full amount.

Please accept our apology for this error.

So now you can tell us what the website and item was!

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Consumer law help on 21:14 - Sep 5 with 2405 viewsswanstillidai

Consumer law help on 21:10 - Sep 5 by Gowerjack

So now you can tell us what the website and item was!

https://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/ctekmxts70.php

I didn't even want one. A lad linked it on a trade only website I use and it looks like around 40 of us made the purchase

We're not going to pursue the matter because our morals won't allow us
[Post edited 5 Sep 2016 21:15]
Consumer law help on 21:22 - Sep 5 with 2384 viewsGowerjack

Consumer law help on 21:14 - Sep 5 by swanstillidai

https://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/ctekmxts70.php

I didn't even want one. A lad linked it on a trade only website I use and it looks like around 40 of us made the purchase

We're not going to pursue the matter because our morals won't allow us
[Post edited 5 Sep 2016 21:15]

Feck me

Puts my Halfords bought charger to shame....

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Consumer law help on 21:37 - Sep 5 with 2353 viewsDewi1jack

Pity mate.
If you were in France, their sales regs differ in as much as an incorrectly priced item has to be sold at that price, if someone offers the money before they realise.
Argos (I think) got caught a few years ago for TV's (again I think) and shifted a few more after they realised just as a good ill gesture. Orders were in the '000s though. Most dissapointed
Then Argos made the most of the free publicity!

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024