Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
talk sport and Les 13:54 - Dec 28 with 34323 viewsmacclesfieldman

talk sport discussing QPR this morning and wanted to talk to LF but Les said he was too poorly with a flu to take a telephone call. Bless.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

talk sport and Les on 22:31 - Dec 28 with 3570 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Flu my arse. He was sat watching the match the night before.
talk sport and Les on 22:36 - Dec 28 with 3557 views2Thomas2Bowles

talk sport and Les on 22:31 - Dec 28 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Flu my arse. He was sat watching the match the night before.

Man flu, clearly.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

talk sport and Les on 22:37 - Dec 28 with 3550 viewsPommyhoop

talk sport and Les on 21:17 - Dec 28 by bosh67

Post of the year that.

Seeing as we are so close to the end of the year,I say post of next year too.
great post Dave..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

talk sport and Les on 23:00 - Dec 28 with 3519 viewsconnell10

Haters are gonna hate, there is a lot of it about at Rangers in recent years, but for me the fly in the ointment at rangers is uncle tony, he sways from one thing to another just stay popular, well a message for you tony its not a popularity contest its the club i love so stop it!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

talk sport and Les on 23:18 - Dec 28 with 3488 viewsNortholt_Rs

talk sport and Les on 20:36 - Dec 28 by daveB

Maybe he actually has flu, I have it at the moment, is a right pain and i wouldn't want to chat on the phone with someone about work at the moment either

What qualifications does he have for the job?

Well what qualifications did Phil Beard have to sign players? Or David Davies or Amit Bhatia or Gianni Paladini? They have all held that role in recent years of negotiating the transfers, none of them had a clue what they were doing at first, their qualifications for the role never questioned but a bloke who has worked in football all his life and has been doing the role for two years gets this constant bullshit aimed at him as it's his first job of this type.

Everyone who holds this position will at one stage have done it for the first time and learnt what they were doing, Alex Ferguson learnt on the job how to be a manager, Lionel Messi learnt on the job how to be a footballer, they never have all the answers on day one but learning and gaining experience of a role is a good thing and Les has learnt a lot in 2 years and is more than qualified for his role.

So all of QPR's problems down to him are they? Bullshit

Was it Les Ferdinand who closed the academy in the 90's?
Was it Les Ferdinand who gave no funding to the youth set up for over a decade allowing it to rot whilst other clubs in the area invested and left us behind.
Was it Les Ferdinand who spunked 200 million up the wall at mercenary players and robbing managers and wasted 2 attempts at the premier league and left us financially in a worst position after winning the lottery twice.

Ferdinand has come into the role when the money run out, when the FFP rules had been breached so we had to comply after relegation if we were to have any chance of avoiding a deserved 70million fine. Not hard to get the wage bill down? If you say so but something no one else managed or even tried to manage

He could have continued on the same path and said sod it lets go mad again, throw money at it and off we go, no guarantee that would have worked, it didn't before. Instead he did what many asked for, he created a pathway to the first team for youth players, in the last 2 years Doughty, Furlong, Grego Cox, Kakay, Shodipo, Lumley, Kwpewka and the finnish kid have all made first team appearances, not a hope in hell that would have happened before.

We've signed younger players who see QPR as a step up, another thing we wanted when the like of Boswingwa, Park and Chris Samba were being made millionaires by the club, now those players need to be developed and won't be great straight away but in Smithies, Ingram, Hall, Luongo, Cousins, Sylla, Wszoleck and Chery he's signed some very decent prospects who could go on and big big players for us. Not every signing has worked but not every signing worked under more experienced men like Redknapp and Hughes, these failures haven't been as costly though.

Managerial appointments haven't worked but the club is still run by Fernandes who still listens to twitter so Ramsey came in when fans called for a coach rather than an old school manager, he listened when we wanted an up and coming manager in Hasselbaink and he listened when we wanted a QPR man. Perhaps he should stop listening to us but thats the man Ferdinand is working for and thats the one you should be moaning about rather than the bloke trying to fix his mess.

Just bloody typical at QPR that the people doing the right thing are the ones being attacked by fans.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2016 20:39]

Great post - I don't think many sane fans are blaming Les for the whole decline of the club but at the same time his 2 years as DoF hasn't moved us forward at all has it? In fact we've collapsed. Also I don't recall too many of us asking for Ramsey to get the job as temporary manager whilst we still had a chance of survival in the Prem and even fewer rejoiced when he got the permanent role. That one was 100% down to 'Sir Les'.... No hiding from the fact he's been a disaster as DoF: from being in the Prem to facing relegation to the third tier in just two years. Is it all his fault? No. Has he contributed to this catastrophic failure? Absolutely.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2016 23:19]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

talk sport and Les on 23:22 - Dec 28 with 3472 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Great stuff DaveB.

Unfortunately I am as articulate as a lorry, but glad we have people like you on here who can get their thoughts into words properly.

Can we play behind closed doors, and ban TV and internet coverage for at least a season? We'd all be happier I reckon and we'd return to a club more at ease with itself and a set of supporters who will come to realise that QPR is bigger than its league standing or how entertaining it's football is.
talk sport and Les on 23:33 - Dec 28 with 3453 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

talk sport and Les on 23:18 - Dec 28 by Northolt_Rs

Great post - I don't think many sane fans are blaming Les for the whole decline of the club but at the same time his 2 years as DoF hasn't moved us forward at all has it? In fact we've collapsed. Also I don't recall too many of us asking for Ramsey to get the job as temporary manager whilst we still had a chance of survival in the Prem and even fewer rejoiced when he got the permanent role. That one was 100% down to 'Sir Les'.... No hiding from the fact he's been a disaster as DoF: from being in the Prem to facing relegation to the third tier in just two years. Is it all his fault? No. Has he contributed to this catastrophic failure? Absolutely.

Dismissive nicknames like Tottenham Les don't help though do they? Some nasty insults flying around at the moment aimed at people who don't deserve them.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2016 23:34]
talk sport and Les on 23:42 - Dec 28 with 3441 views1BobbyHazell

"Been a disaster as DOF."

Jesus Christ! It's that sort of sweeping nonsense that boils my p1ss these days.

Absolutely no understanding or allowance for the situation he came into. Basically taking over a football club that had probably set some sort of world record in terms of losing a quarter of a billion pounds in only four years on its way down to the division below. Many people thought that would lead to us crashing down through the divisions. And yet here we are back in the lower half of the championship where (sugar daddy's influence aside) we statistically belong. All sorts of positive changes made in less than two years whilst dealing with a dramatic budget adjustment.

But to you he hasn't moved us forward at all and we have collapsed?

It was ALWAYS going to be a sh1t sandwhich when the Money Chucking stopped, the disaster was the 4 years of that. The problem now seems to be some supporters struggling to let go of the level of spoilt expectations that it created whilst we ride out the unavoidable recovery process.
Login to get fewer ads

talk sport and Les on 23:42 - Dec 28 with 3439 viewsaussiehoop

The original post and your response are absolutely spot on. No easy answers or conclusions.
talk sport and Les on 00:36 - Dec 29 with 3383 viewsNortholt_Rs

talk sport and Les on 23:42 - Dec 28 by 1BobbyHazell

"Been a disaster as DOF."

Jesus Christ! It's that sort of sweeping nonsense that boils my p1ss these days.

Absolutely no understanding or allowance for the situation he came into. Basically taking over a football club that had probably set some sort of world record in terms of losing a quarter of a billion pounds in only four years on its way down to the division below. Many people thought that would lead to us crashing down through the divisions. And yet here we are back in the lower half of the championship where (sugar daddy's influence aside) we statistically belong. All sorts of positive changes made in less than two years whilst dealing with a dramatic budget adjustment.

But to you he hasn't moved us forward at all and we have collapsed?

It was ALWAYS going to be a sh1t sandwhich when the Money Chucking stopped, the disaster was the 4 years of that. The problem now seems to be some supporters struggling to let go of the level of spoilt expectations that it created whilst we ride out the unavoidable recovery process.

'Lower half' of the table sounds a lot better than 20th out of 24 and three points off the bottom three. To get to this state from being in the Prem in just two years is a catastrophe.

Btw how much money have Huddersfield spent to build their team? They are currently sitting 4th in the Championship. That's what should boil your p1ss....
[Post edited 29 Dec 2016 0:42]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

talk sport and Les on 01:01 - Dec 29 with 3363 viewsCamberleyR

talk sport and Les on 21:35 - Dec 28 by paulparker

I don't disagree that TF is just as culpable for this mess if not more I actually cannot believe we don't have fans protesting against this idiot
But the love in for "sir les " needs to stop and he needs to be held accountable , apart from smithies and hall I cannot see another club buying any of Ferdinands signings
If it was someone like Damien comolie, sherwood or David pleat as DOF who has made these duff signings and managerial flops then this messageboard would be in meltdown
We have signed players with no heart, no leadership, no creativity who simply bow down when the going gets tough , those signings were made by Ferdinand, that's fact also can anyone name a club where having a DOF actually works ?
Do we simply shrug our shoulders when we go down as say " it's a learning curve" like we have that clown TF the last 6 years , this club is in the sh1t and the fact that les cannot even do a radio interview just shows what a laughing stock we are

"can anyone name a club where having a DOF actually works ?"

Southampton
Manchester City
Everton
Ch*ls**
Leicester

Just five examples. Unless you mean Football League clubs....

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

talk sport and Les on 01:38 - Dec 29 with 3326 viewsNorthernr

talk sport and Les on 01:01 - Dec 29 by CamberleyR

"can anyone name a club where having a DOF actually works ?"

Southampton
Manchester City
Everton
Ch*ls**
Leicester

Just five examples. Unless you mean Football League clubs....

DOF absolutely vital these days. Rich stupid foreign owners and loads of TV money + chancer managers who know they're getting sacked anyway... if ever a fan base should see the value of a DOF it's QPR after Hughes and then Redknapp working with Fernandes.
talk sport and Les on 03:03 - Dec 29 with 3296 viewsFredManRave

Maybe he actually has flu, I have it at the moment, is a right pain and i wouldn't want to chat on the phone with someone about work at the moment either

Well what qualifications did Phil Beard have to sign players? Or David Davies or Amit Bhatia or Gianni Paladini? They have all held that role in recent years of negotiating the transfers, none of them had a clue what they were doing at first, their qualifications for the role never questioned but a bloke who has worked in football all his life and has been doing the role for two years gets this constant bullshit aimed at him as it's his first job of this type.

Everyone who holds this position will at one stage have done it for the first time and learnt what they were doing, Alex Ferguson learnt on the job how to be a manager, Lionel Messi learnt on the job how to be a footballer, they never have all the answers on day one but learning and gaining experience of a role is a good thing and Les has learnt a lot in 2 years and is more than qualified for his role.

Was it Les Ferdinand who gave no funding to the youth set up for over a decade allowing it to rot whilst other clubs in the area invested and left us behind.
Was it Les Ferdinand who spunked 200 million up the wall at mercenary players and robbing managers and wasted 2 attempts at the premier league and left us financially in a worst position after winning the lottery twice.

Ferdinand has come into the role when the money run out, when the FFP rules had been breached so we had to comply after relegation if we were to have any chance of avoiding a deserved 70million fine. Not hard to get the wage bill down? If you say so but something no one else managed or even tried to manage

He could have continued on the same path and said sod it lets go mad again, throw money at it and off we go, no guarantee that would have worked, it didn't before. Instead he did what many asked for, he created a pathway to the first team for youth players, in the last 2 years Doughty, Furlong, Grego Cox, Kakay, Shodipo, Lumley, Kwpewka and the finnish kid have all made first team appearances, not a hope in hell that would have happened before.

We've signed younger players who see QPR as a step up, another thing we wanted when the like of Boswingwa, Park and Chris Samba were being made millionaires by the club, now those players need to be developed and won't be great straight away but in Smithies, Ingram, Hall, Luongo, Cousins, Sylla, Wszoleck and Chery he's signed some very decent prospects who could go on and big big players for us. Not every signing has worked but not every signing worked under more experienced men like Redknapp and Hughes, these failures haven't been as costly though.

Managerial appointments haven't worked but the club is still run by Fernandes who still listens to twitter so Ramsey came in when fans called for a coach rather than an old school manager, he listened when we wanted an up and coming manager in Hasselbaink and he listened when we wanted a QPR man. Perhaps he should stop listening to us but thats the man Ferdinand is working for and thats the one you should be moaning about rather than the bloke trying to fix his mess.

Just bloody typical at QPR that the people doing the right thing are the ones being attacked by fans.

As per usual some middle ground is needed in this debate. Les is neither the savour (so far) or the devil incarnate as both sides would have us believe.

To try and answer some of Daves points in his post;

You mention learning on the job and that Les has learnt a lot in his first two years. Bearing in mind the shambolic situation that we were in 2 years ago the ideal scenario would not have been to take on board a DOF taking on his first such position such that he could learn a lot in his first two years.

Nobody is blaming all of our problems on Ferdinand. Full Stop. Everybody understands the academy and spending problems that preceeded him and therefore nobody is blaming him for that.

When Ferdinand came to the club the financial position was clear. The over spending days were over. That wasn't a decision that he took, that is what he faced. And he acted accordingly getting the high erners off the books. There was absolutely no way he had the option to "have continued on the same path and said sod it lets go mad again, throw money at it and off we go" so to give him credit for not doing that is completely false.

I won't comment too much on the signing of players even though it is an important part of his remit beause there have been some good and some bad, exactly the same as at every club although some of the youngsters that made it to first team apearances were few and far between and have since found themselves being loaned out.

Regarding the wage bill, he came in at the perfect time. It was astronomical. The only way could ever have been down. He's done well to achieve that but still not the most difficult task, all things considered.

And finally, the managerial appointments. I appreciate it's hindsight but even so giving Ramsey the caretaker role and then the permanent role were huge mistakes and even though he had to go I didn't like the wording and the way it was dealt with by Ferdinand. JFH appeared a good appointment at the time inspite of the warnings of his non QPR style of play and obvious lack of experience and unfortunately for all of us it turned out to be an appointment that gave us neither the resuts or quality of football that we would have hoped for.. And now we find ourselves with Holloway that with 6 games is, to put it mildly, not going well.

In summary, and inspite of how this post may read I'm not actually in any way against Ferdinand or Holloway. I'm sure ALL of us want them to do well and be a success but my view from afar tells me that whilst there have been some improvements there have also been some important mistakes made (again I realise due to hindsight) in Ferdinands 2 year tenure.

Fwiw, I don't think we'll get relegated, I want Holloway to succeed and to be given at the very least this season and I want and hope that Ferdinand continues to improve through experience and as a consequence stays in the job for many more years and with Holloway as manager because that could only be good for QPR. It's what we want, isn't it?!

However, that's not to say that it's not been a very difficult couple of years for Les but I hope, as surely we all do, that things and to an extent our luck turn around pretty damn soon such that we can remember this as being maybe the lowest point, football/table wise and that we can soon start the long road back to mid table obscurity with a team of players that we can all be proud of and show pride in wearing the hopes and witha willigness to battle and to improve.

U R's.

Oh and PS. DaveB. I think your man flu is more likely cold turkey after going 1 day without alcohol for the firt time in well over a week!
[Post edited 29 Dec 2016 3:22]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

talk sport and Les on 05:55 - Dec 29 with 3247 viewsisawqpratwcity

talk sport and Les on 01:38 - Dec 29 by Northernr

DOF absolutely vital these days. Rich stupid foreign owners and loads of TV money + chancer managers who know they're getting sacked anyway... if ever a fan base should see the value of a DOF it's QPR after Hughes and then Redknapp working with Fernandes.

It must have been a helluva decision for Les and Tony. Harry would have come bleating saying he needs umpteen million this window to avoid relegation, with lots of mumbles but no responsibility accepted.

Tony would have had to bite the bullet and accept that Championship football was inevitable, ie nothing whatsoever to show for his quarter of a billion plus quid, and Les take the DoF job, knowing that his brief would be to completely rebuild the team on even the Championship equivalent of a sniff of an oily rag.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

talk sport and Les on 07:20 - Dec 29 with 3230 viewsdaveB

A lot were calling for Ramsey to get the job till the end of the season after we beat Sunderland mainly as no one wanted Tim Sherwood who seemed likely at the time. A lot had given up on staying in the prem long before Redknapp left.

I don't see Ferdinands time as a disaster, I think we were heading this way long before he came in, the problems he has faced have all been things he inherited and he has made the best of a bad situation. We are now paying the price for years of miss management and he's trying rebuild which will take years. If he was sacked today I don't see how that makes anything better
talk sport and Les on 08:03 - Dec 29 with 2968 viewsRangersw12

talk sport and Les on 07:20 - Dec 29 by daveB

A lot were calling for Ramsey to get the job till the end of the season after we beat Sunderland mainly as no one wanted Tim Sherwood who seemed likely at the time. A lot had given up on staying in the prem long before Redknapp left.

I don't see Ferdinands time as a disaster, I think we were heading this way long before he came in, the problems he has faced have all been things he inherited and he has made the best of a bad situation. We are now paying the price for years of miss management and he's trying rebuild which will take years. If he was sacked today I don't see how that makes anything better

Loads were calling for Ramsay to be manager on twitter which is where the chiral listens to the fans because he is so transparent and such a great chap

Les isn't perfect but has done a decent job in trying to change the philosophy at the ckub around

How TF doesn't get proper stick is anyone business but that's Rangers nowadays allways blaming the wrong person
talk sport and Les on 08:37 - Dec 29 with 2920 viewsLblock

talk sport and Les on 21:47 - Dec 28 by paulparker

So if it's not the DOF or the "best chairmen " we have had , who is to blame for us being championship league champions in 2010/11 to being relegated to league one in 2016/17 ??

Keep up PP

It's the fans who are to blame donchyaknow!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

talk sport and Les on 08:52 - Dec 29 with 2897 views2Thomas2Bowles

A good defence by daveB for LF

I'll plagiarize it in defence of Ollie.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

talk sport and Les on 09:07 - Dec 29 with 2872 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

talk sport and Les on 08:37 - Dec 29 by Lblock

Keep up PP

It's the fans who are to blame donchyaknow!

LBlock, I know what your getting at, but that wasn't what I said.
talk sport and Les on 09:24 - Dec 29 with 2838 viewsmacclesfieldman

Great post and can't disagree with any of your points

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

talk sport and Les on 09:28 - Dec 29 with 2825 viewsJuzzie

[Post edited 29 Dec 2016 9:35]
talk sport and Les on 09:33 - Dec 29 with 2815 viewsJuzzie

talk sport and Les on 21:24 - Dec 28 by vegasranger

This is very close to the mark for me. Let's not forget the terrible handling of the Austen transfer. I know he was in his last year of contract but sold for 4 million, really?!!! A Premiership goal scorer sold for 4 bloody million !! Most of the money spent on Washington and El Khayati. Two players wanted by JFH and sanctioned by Sir Les. We have Lee Hoos who knows how to run a football club. We don't need a DOF.

We were mugged by Southampton.

Leicester offered circa £12-13m in the summer but we knew he was worth more (with a full year on contract) and rightly held out. Fans would have been apoplectic had we sold him for that amount.
No other offers came in and by the end of the year he'd already got 10 goals. Despite this, it was clear we were never going to get in the play off's.
The hope was there would be 2 or 3 clubs coming in for him in January which might have bumped up the final selling price to a more realistic £15m+. That never materialised (probably the problem of English players costing more than ones from other countries) and Southampton swooped in with a piss-take offer. Even if other clubs had offered more, i dont think he wanted to go further north than junction 5 of the M1 so Southampton held all the cards.

What to do?..... turn it down and he goes for free in the summer and potentially goes off the boil for the last few months of the season.

It was clear he wanted to go so the club had no choice but to accept.

What would you have done?
talk sport and Les on 09:43 - Dec 29 with 2774 viewsDejR_vu

talk sport and Les on 03:03 - Dec 29 by FredManRave

As per usual some middle ground is needed in this debate. Les is neither the savour (so far) or the devil incarnate as both sides would have us believe.

To try and answer some of Daves points in his post;

You mention learning on the job and that Les has learnt a lot in his first two years. Bearing in mind the shambolic situation that we were in 2 years ago the ideal scenario would not have been to take on board a DOF taking on his first such position such that he could learn a lot in his first two years.

Nobody is blaming all of our problems on Ferdinand. Full Stop. Everybody understands the academy and spending problems that preceeded him and therefore nobody is blaming him for that.

When Ferdinand came to the club the financial position was clear. The over spending days were over. That wasn't a decision that he took, that is what he faced. And he acted accordingly getting the high erners off the books. There was absolutely no way he had the option to "have continued on the same path and said sod it lets go mad again, throw money at it and off we go" so to give him credit for not doing that is completely false.

I won't comment too much on the signing of players even though it is an important part of his remit beause there have been some good and some bad, exactly the same as at every club although some of the youngsters that made it to first team apearances were few and far between and have since found themselves being loaned out.

Regarding the wage bill, he came in at the perfect time. It was astronomical. The only way could ever have been down. He's done well to achieve that but still not the most difficult task, all things considered.

And finally, the managerial appointments. I appreciate it's hindsight but even so giving Ramsey the caretaker role and then the permanent role were huge mistakes and even though he had to go I didn't like the wording and the way it was dealt with by Ferdinand. JFH appeared a good appointment at the time inspite of the warnings of his non QPR style of play and obvious lack of experience and unfortunately for all of us it turned out to be an appointment that gave us neither the resuts or quality of football that we would have hoped for.. And now we find ourselves with Holloway that with 6 games is, to put it mildly, not going well.

In summary, and inspite of how this post may read I'm not actually in any way against Ferdinand or Holloway. I'm sure ALL of us want them to do well and be a success but my view from afar tells me that whilst there have been some improvements there have also been some important mistakes made (again I realise due to hindsight) in Ferdinands 2 year tenure.

Fwiw, I don't think we'll get relegated, I want Holloway to succeed and to be given at the very least this season and I want and hope that Ferdinand continues to improve through experience and as a consequence stays in the job for many more years and with Holloway as manager because that could only be good for QPR. It's what we want, isn't it?!

However, that's not to say that it's not been a very difficult couple of years for Les but I hope, as surely we all do, that things and to an extent our luck turn around pretty damn soon such that we can remember this as being maybe the lowest point, football/table wise and that we can soon start the long road back to mid table obscurity with a team of players that we can all be proud of and show pride in wearing the hopes and witha willigness to battle and to improve.

U R's.

Oh and PS. DaveB. I think your man flu is more likely cold turkey after going 1 day without alcohol for the firt time in well over a week!
[Post edited 29 Dec 2016 3:22]

A sensible, balanced post; don't see many of those on here.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

talk sport and Les on 10:14 - Dec 29 with 2714 viewsdaveB

talk sport and Les on 21:47 - Dec 28 by paulparker

So if it's not the DOF or the "best chairmen " we have had , who is to blame for us being championship league champions in 2010/11 to being relegated to league one in 2016/17 ??

for me Fernandes is the main culprit, a lot of the problems pre date him but Fernandes is the one who had 3 goes at the Premier league and made a mess of it every single time.

Ferdinand is trying to clear up his mess but I'm not sure anyone can clear it up quickly
talk sport and Les on 10:24 - Dec 29 with 2685 viewsozexile

Redknapp should have been pensioned off at the final whistle of the play offs. If not then he should have been pensioned off when he wanted to sign Kranjcar. And finally we should have waved goodbye when he started writing off all the away games as bonus games. That's Fernandes biggest mistake of all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024