Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oceana-The End 22:40 - Jul 22 with 7671 viewsjack2jack

Was in town today and took a couple of photos of the former Top Rank,Oceana,depending on your era.
I'm sure there are some happy memories of the place.

Oceana-The End on 22:21 - Jul 25 with 955 viewsWhiterockin

Oceana-The End on 22:45 - Jul 23 by Muteswan

It was Les Harvey, brother of Alex Harvey, that was electrocuted. He was with Stone The Crows. Apparently touched a mike which wasn't earthed and the stage was wet.

I was there on the fateful night no more that six feet from Les Harvey. The floor was not wet, possibly some spilt drink nothing more. The band came out and started to play, Les grabbed the mike and started to speak and started shaking violently, we genuinely all thought it was part of the act until he fell. A roadie ran on and kicked the mike stand into the amps and they was big bang. The safety curtain then covered the front of the stage and we all stayed in our places for 5-10 minutes before being told the gig was cancelled. The following morning I was passing the Top Rank on my way to work and saw one of the roadies, I asked him how Les was and he said that he was dead. That was the first we knew of it. In those days it was not unusual for bands to shake hands and touch members of the public, we were just very lucky that it did not happen on that night.
Oceana-The End on 22:31 - Jul 25 with 934 viewsGowerjack

Oceana-The End on 22:21 - Jul 25 by Whiterockin

I was there on the fateful night no more that six feet from Les Harvey. The floor was not wet, possibly some spilt drink nothing more. The band came out and started to play, Les grabbed the mike and started to speak and started shaking violently, we genuinely all thought it was part of the act until he fell. A roadie ran on and kicked the mike stand into the amps and they was big bang. The safety curtain then covered the front of the stage and we all stayed in our places for 5-10 minutes before being told the gig was cancelled. The following morning I was passing the Top Rank on my way to work and saw one of the roadies, I asked him how Les was and he said that he was dead. That was the first we knew of it. In those days it was not unusual for bands to shake hands and touch members of the public, we were just very lucky that it did not happen on that night.

Gosh

That's a tale to tell.

Thank you.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Oceana-The End on 09:07 - Jul 26 with 869 viewsProfessor

Thanks for that. Very much follows what my uncle said. Very sad. I guess I was told the story over 30 years ago and little would have been reported at the time ( was only 4 in 1972). These days it probably would have been on social media either live or within seconds.
Oceana-The End on 09:46 - Jul 26 with 849 viewsWarwickHunt

You must have been almost next to me! I don't remember him shaking though - just knocked flat on his back. Seemed to happen very quickly - you could be right but I was in a band at the time and knew immediately what was happening.
The mic wasn't earthed - he had one hand on his guitar and as soon as he touched the mic he was electrocuted.

Edit: just read the whole thread - I don't remember the stage being unduly wet either but I don't think it would have made a difference anyway.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 9:59]
Oceana-The End on 12:45 - Jul 26 with 784 viewsWhiterockin

Oceana-The End on 09:46 - Jul 26 by WarwickHunt

You must have been almost next to me! I don't remember him shaking though - just knocked flat on his back. Seemed to happen very quickly - you could be right but I was in a band at the time and knew immediately what was happening.
The mic wasn't earthed - he had one hand on his guitar and as soon as he touched the mic he was electrocuted.

Edit: just read the whole thread - I don't remember the stage being unduly wet either but I don't think it would have made a difference anyway.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 9:59]

Pretty sure he started to speak as he was about to touch the mike, the words " are you ready to lay down some rock and roll" are in my mind. This is how many of us thought the next second or two were part of the act.

On a lighter note Maggie Bell what a voice, but my favorite was Sonja Kristina (not for the voice).
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024