Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big name artists you have seen live 19:21 - Sep 30 with 21873 viewscentrestandswan

Not a competition, just be interesting to see people's top musical experiences .
I'll kick off with James Brown, Marvin Gaye,Dylan,Cohen and Ry Cooder that will do.There are more.Oh and Clapton.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Big name artists you have seen live on 11:34 - Oct 1 with 3793 viewsDarran

Big name artists you have seen live on 11:32 - Oct 1 by swan72

Yes, San Portablo resident. Typo on the Gus

Tidy. Gos/Karrots and SEX did a gig for me years ago when I had an accident.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Big name artists you have seen live on 11:36 - Oct 1 with 3793 viewsjackson5

Camel
Cliff Richards and the Shadows
Trembling Knees
Man
Budgie
Marmalade
Herman hermits
Chris Farlow
Love affair
Sparks (Three Times)
Showing my age !!!
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 11:37]

Women are like elephants. I like to look at 'em, but I wouldn't want to own one. W. C. Fields

Big name artists you have seen live on 13:24 - Oct 1 with 3762 viewscostalotta

In no order whatsoever of preference but for my own sanity I've tried to put them groups of a few years...

Done lots of festivals and back in the day i worked as a 'Live' Sound Engineer, so by default seen lots and some quite a few times. Below is just what i remember when quickly thinking about it.

1982/83 (i think it was just after Joe S. had returned from his very own disappearing act)
The Clash
The Man Band
Steel Pulse
Depeche Mode

1984-86
Motorhead
ACDC
Van Halen
Gary Moore
Motley Crue
Ozzie
Dire Straits

1987-1990
Troublefunk
Stone Roses
The Alarm
The Mission
Killing Joke
Sisters of Mercy
The Cure
James
All about Eve
Lush
The Blue Aeroplanes
Wishbone Ash
That Petrol Emotion
Manic Street Preachers
Simple Minds
The Pogues
Midnight Oil

1990-2000
Santana
Jane's Addiction
Happy Mondays
Catherine Wheel
Souixse & the banshees
PJ Harvey
Nirvana
Bob Dylan
Tony Bennett
Fun Lovin' Criminals
REM
The Prodigy
Radiohead
David Gahan
Robert Plant
Primal Scream
The Charlatans
Carter USM

2000 - 2017
Incubus
Pearl Jam
Queens of the stone Age
Joe Bonnamassa
Black Keys
RHCP
Paramore
U2

Im sure theres many more.
Big name artists you have seen live on 13:33 - Oct 1 with 3753 viewsWingstandwood

Big name artists you have seen live on 11:34 - Oct 1 by Darran

Ahhhh, a band called SEX played in Gorseinon West End upper floor's regular Friday night event-spot for bands and disco's in 1986. My memory is slightly hazy after 31 years but I'm sure the bassist had a Rickenbacker 4001. They were a longhaired band of heavy metal appearence but didn't seem to be full-out Motorhead/Iron Maiden heavy.....they didn't blow the windows out.... the singer wore a black leather jacket? Sure its the same band?

Argus!

Big name artists you have seen live on 13:44 - Oct 1 with 3745 viewscostalotta

Big name artists you have seen live on 13:33 - Oct 1 by Wingstandwood

Ahhhh, a band called SEX played in Gorseinon West End upper floor's regular Friday night event-spot for bands and disco's in 1986. My memory is slightly hazy after 31 years but I'm sure the bassist had a Rickenbacker 4001. They were a longhaired band of heavy metal appearence but didn't seem to be full-out Motorhead/Iron Maiden heavy.....they didn't blow the windows out.... the singer wore a black leather jacket? Sure its the same band?

The Coghill brothers? I'm sur the lead guitarist surname was Coghill, first name Richard. AT the time i thought he was really good.
Big name artists you have seen live on 13:57 - Oct 1 with 3722 viewsWingstandwood

Big name artists you have seen live on 13:44 - Oct 1 by costalotta

The Coghill brothers? I'm sur the lead guitarist surname was Coghill, first name Richard. AT the time i thought he was really good.

I can remember the band SEX (same band?) must have been regulary doing the South Wales venue circuit. I used to see the occasional up-coming gig flyer here there and everywhere in places outside of Gorseinon e.g. Swansea city centre.

Argus!

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:02 - Oct 1 with 3719 views1983

The Exploited
Big Country
Human League
Madness
Bad Manners
The Specials
Depeche Mode
The Manics
Stereophonics
Catatonia
The Killers

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:11 - Oct 1 with 3707 viewsDarran

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:02 - Oct 1 by 1983

The Exploited
Big Country
Human League
Madness
Bad Manners
The Specials
Depeche Mode
The Manics
Stereophonics
Catatonia
The Killers

lol

Login to get fewer ads

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:16 - Oct 1 with 3703 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
U2
R.E.M.
Eagles
Man
Manics
Yes
Genesis
Atomic Rooster
Clapton
Killers
Counting Crows
Bare naked Ladies
Ac Dc
Dr Feelgood
New York Dolls
Rod Stewart and the Faces
Stones
Who
Wishbone Ash
Free
Carole King
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
The Clash
Stranglers
10cc
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Tears for Fears
Biffy Clyro
Ben Folds

Many, many more and looking forward to Steely Dan, the Doobie Brothers and Hall and Oates at Bluesfest in a few weeks.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:21 - Oct 1 with 3694 viewsDarran

Big name artists you have seen live on 13:33 - Oct 1 by Wingstandwood

Sounds like it Phil Jones was the lead singer.

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:38 - Oct 1 with 3681 viewsoldcob

Chuck Berry,
Rolling Stones,
Everly Bros,
Duane Eddie,
Bobby Vee,
Chris Montez,
Eagles,
Them'
Lulu,Cilla Black,
Van Morrison, Andy Fairweather-Lowe (struggling now)
Love Affair.
Dusty Springfield,
Tom Jones,
Englebert Stumpydick,
John Lee Hooker,
Searchers,
Kinks,
Troggs,
Yardbirds when Clapton was with them,
Cream,
I'm old and struggling now, I'm sure there's some I've forgotten about. Apologies Jason Bromham, how could I leave you out?
P.S Chris Farlowe.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 14:39]
Big name artists you have seen live on 14:40 - Oct 1 with 3678 viewscentrestandswan

Certainly a varied selection on here which is great, just goes to show the different tastes people have in music. As I said not a competition and respect to people who appreciate their own musical preferences, one person's preference may mean nothing to the next person but it doesn't mean it is bad . Thanks for all your replies keep them coming .

One thing we all have is a love for Swansea City Footbal Club .

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:41 - Oct 1 with 3674 viewsWingstandwood

Big name artists you have seen live on 14:21 - Oct 1 by Darran

Sounds like it Phil Jones was the lead singer.

Once you gave me the name of the lead singer it enabled me to do a search. Yep! That indeed is 100% (may be wrong about the 4001 bass?) the lead singer I saw all those years back. I remember them in a sentimantal way i.e. bygone days of youth when drinking/Friday nights was a real novelty. Can remember they respected the West End venue size and set their ampification/PA system to suit their surroundings. Some bands used to play The West End and you'd have to walk out, the o.t.t. volume was way too much.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 14:47]

Argus!

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:19 - Oct 1 with 3651 viewsbluenile

Lived in London late 60s. Was a regular at the Marquee in Wardour Street. Saw so many bands I lost count. Before they had recording contracts saw Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson. Debuts by Led Zeppelin, ditto Free (introduced by Alexis Korner), John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Mick Taylor, and rather oddly, went to see a band called Clouds (utter crap) on a Tuesday night (it was quiet), older guy standing next to me, was Peter Vaughan the actor who played Grouchy in Porridge. Oh, and Taste, freshly over from Ireland, with Rory Gallagher on guitar. Amazing looking back to think how blasé I became watching them.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 15:22]

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:22 - Oct 1 with 3646 viewsDarran

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:19 - Oct 1 by bluenile

Lived in London late 60s. Was a regular at the Marquee in Wardour Street. Saw so many bands I lost count. Before they had recording contracts saw Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson. Debuts by Led Zeppelin, ditto Free (introduced by Alexis Korner), John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Mick Taylor, and rather oddly, went to see a band called Clouds (utter crap) on a Tuesday night (it was quiet), older guy standing next to me, was Peter Vaughan the actor who played Grouchy in Porridge. Oh, and Taste, freshly over from Ireland, with Rory Gallagher on guitar. Amazing looking back to think how blasé I became watching them.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 15:22]

Don't forget Dweezil Zappa.

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:26 - Oct 1 with 3642 viewsswan72

Big name artists you have seen live on 11:34 - Oct 1 by Darran

SEX were regulars in The Corner House (red lion). I think that’s where I first seen them. Quite a bizzare one was Phil Jones with that Dracula cape.
Don’t know if you remember a punk guy called “Stout”, used to have a band called Septicaemia. They were a bit crackers too
Big name artists you have seen live on 15:28 - Oct 1 with 3637 viewsDarran

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:26 - Oct 1 by swan72

SEX were regulars in The Corner House (red lion). I think that’s where I first seen them. Quite a bizzare one was Phil Jones with that Dracula cape.
Don’t know if you remember a punk guy called “Stout”, used to have a band called Septicaemia. They were a bit crackers too

Can't place them. What part of Port Talbot are you from.

Phil Jones reckons The Darkness nicked his act.

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:31 - Oct 1 with 3634 viewsbluenile

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:22 - Oct 1 by Darran

Don't forget Dweezil Zappa.

Aye, Dweezil. Also so many others since the start of the 60s, was at The Stones in the Park. Plus other Hyde Park open air gigs, Traffic, The Nice, Pete Brown etc. Fridays was always The London School of Economics where I'd watch Chicken Shack in one bar, Savoy Brown in another, Soft Machine in the lecture theatre and poetry in the library with John Peel.

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:31 - Oct 1 with 3633 viewscostalotta

The other punk band from Swansea, Cosmic Zaps, I think?

Also, Delusions of Grandeur although not punk they were ok-ish (for about 30 mins) but had a stupid name. They also tried very hard to be the 'Swansea' U2.
Big name artists you have seen live on 15:33 - Oct 1 with 3626 viewsDarran

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:31 - Oct 1 by bluenile

Aye, Dweezil. Also so many others since the start of the 60s, was at The Stones in the Park. Plus other Hyde Park open air gigs, Traffic, The Nice, Pete Brown etc. Fridays was always The London School of Economics where I'd watch Chicken Shack in one bar, Savoy Brown in another, Soft Machine in the lecture theatre and poetry in the library with John Peel.

You've got his autograph haven't you? 👀

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:34 - Oct 1 with 3626 viewscostalotta

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:31 - Oct 1 by bluenile

Before my time but hearing stories from friends and associates it sounded like a wonderful time and place to be hanging around in.
Big name artists you have seen live on 15:38 - Oct 1 with 3610 viewsDarran

I don't know much about Chicken Shack but I do remember this album because the sisters a couple of years older than me 👀 that lived next door when I was growing up.

Big name artists you have seen live on 15:57 - Oct 1 with 3590 viewscentrestandswan

Never forget this one !

Big name artists you have seen live on 16:07 - Oct 1 with 3582 viewsDarran

What about Sir Peter Blake he's an artist? 😂

Big name artists you have seen live on 16:17 - Oct 1 with 3577 viewscsf

Big gigs,
Blur,
Stereophonics
Super Furry Animals
Fun Loving Criminals
Ocean colour scene
Foo Fighters

Small gigs
King Prawn
Lost prophets when they first started before the disgusting charges
Sikth

Wycombe only had a small pub The White Horse as a venue. But a lot of bands that got big played gigs there. Kings of Leon first UK gig was there it's also where I saw James Corden one night he got punched in the head.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024