Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advise Please (HR Related ) 12:52 - Jan 5 with 24362 viewspaulparker

ok so at work we have a woman who is very, very , very racist and outspoken
I have now clashed with this woman as she has been "bullying" other people and I cannot sit by and watch that ( I hate bullys) , to the trained eye I look like the aggressor because i stood up for her and told her to f off as a male I can see how this looks
I have now made a complaint to the upper management about her "comments " about other races , some of it is very near the knuckle
now am I wrong to do this? have I opened up a huge can of worms for myself
most of the office floor are blanking me
as anyone else had to do this ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 13:07 - Jan 17 with 3233 viewsTheBlob

So this HR thread has nothing to do with Harry Redknapp then?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 13:09 - Jan 17 with 3227 views2Thomas2Bowles

While you have been right and noble, I think you may want to reconsider taking this any further.

From the outside, you are not getting the support from work colleagues or HR and I don't think you should martyr yourself.

I'm not saying you should just back down. don't offer any apology or anything like that but maybe say you have made you feeling know regarding what you feel is racist behaviour and not a personal dispute and it's best that HR decide for themselves what action they want to take or not.

It's bitter I know but sometimes you have to walk away. the good people will know the truth.

Unless you want to be asked for another hug!!
[Post edited 17 Jan 2018 13:17]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 13:33 - Jan 17 with 3165 viewsBrightonhoop

Really important to request a written statement of events to date including the initial Meeting before proceeding with the next or it will all get lost. So ask for an account to date in a time frame before round 2 commences.

You would then be in a better position to pull out stating you've made clear that you do not expect to hear racism or see bullying in the work place from now on. And put it to bed if you wish to or move to the next stage/Mediation meeting.
Advise Please (HR Related ) on 10:32 - Jan 18 with 2857 viewsCFW

Good thread this - interesting situation, excellent advice given and on a subject that happens all too often in the modern day office environment. First of all whatever the final outcome is I really wish PP all the best in his continued discussions.

I had a similar situation a few years back - the only difference was it was my business and I had two members of staff who were at war with each other and it needed to be sorted - quickly. From an employers position both members of staff had worked for me for a number of years, were very good at their individual roles within the business and previously had never caused me any issues. One was a male the other a female. At this point it should be noted we were a small company employing about 35 people so not on the scale of the organisation where PP is currently employed.

It all kicked off one afternoon, a lot of shouting, tears, threats, things being bought up from the past etc etc. I was called out of my office and immediately told them to stop it immediately. I then told them both to go home, do not return to work until further notice and under no circumstances to have any contact whatsoever with each other or any other member of staff. My thinking was simply to try and defuse the situation.

The next day I spoke with my managers to try and discover what had caused this situation to suddenly kick off. I was told that it had been brewing for some weeks and one innocent comment lit the touch paper and it all kicked off. I was disappointed in myself as a business owner that I had not noticed any kind of problem between the two people involved - if I had been aware I might have been able to sort the problem before it was too late. Many things were said by both sides that were not nice, personal and frankly completely out of order.

Being a small business we did not have an HR department, we had a contract of employment that everyone signed but that was it really. So before I met with the two people I took legal advice from a well respected employment lawyer. This was not cheap but was worth every penny. I totally agree with other posters on this thread about HR departments most are a complete waste of space but lets not forget there are some very good ones as well who do an excellent job.

With the advice I was given I invited the male to a meeting - this invitation was sent in the form of a letter delivered by hand. It stated that they could and should be accompanied by a person unrelated to my business and that I would be joined by my deputy who would be taking full minutes of the meeting. The male turned up (on his own) and gave his side of the story. The following day I met with the female who turned up with a friend and she gave her side of the story. The minutes of both meetings were sent by hand to both parties and they were asked to both read, agree the content of their individual meetings and sign them as a true record of what was discussed. I was advised by my lawyer that each person should be sent both letters.

In my case both people told the same story and although they were both apologetic for their very un-proffessional behaviour it was clear that things would never be the same and working together in the future would be a problem. Too many things were said that would not be forgotten - they could have 'hugged it out for a month' and it would not have made any difference.

This gave me a big problem - I liked both of them, they were both very good at their jobs and I had worked with them for many years even before me owning the business. Unfortunately in many cases like this there is no happy ending. My business was not big enough to move them into other departments so I knew that either one or both had to go - working together in the future was never going to be an option. This whole situation unsettled the other staff members and although I asked for them to not get involved or talk about it - they did and as always sides were taken.

I asked each one (in a meeting with witnesses) if they would like to consider their position within the business. The male said he would leave if I made him redundant and paid him his three months notice money. I refused to make him redundant as this would not have been legal but I did agree to make him an offer (which he accepted) along with his notice and holiday money. The whole sorry saga ended up costing me (or rather my business) a lot of money and I am not sure I ever really forgave the female involved either. I did notice that other members of staff were not quite so friendly towards her and within a year she left the business.

Employing people is no fun anymore and is littered with problems and challenges - now I would never employ anybody again in my life. People who work with me are set up as sole traders - they invoice me for their services or work, I pay them by return and job done.

Good luck tomorrow PP.
Advise Please (HR Related ) on 13:51 - Jan 23 with 2523 viewsTheChef

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 11:57 - Jan 17 by paulparker

another mediation is pencilled in now for Friday 3pm , with a new mediator I , have complained about how much of a farce yesterday was and that none of the points I have complained about were raised , I also sent an email saying the "hug it " out thing was not very professional

PP, did you have the mediation again last Friday?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 14:15 - Jan 23 with 2492 viewspaulparker

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 13:51 - Jan 23 by TheChef

PP, did you have the mediation again last Friday?

No the lady in question has gone off sick with a "stress" related illness , been signed off sick for at least 2 weeks , a cunning tactic as the "big boss" is going on maternity leave in 3 weeks
needless to say the atmosphere has changed tenfold

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 14:30 - Jan 23 with 2470 viewsTheChef

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 14:15 - Jan 23 by paulparker

No the lady in question has gone off sick with a "stress" related illness , been signed off sick for at least 2 weeks , a cunning tactic as the "big boss" is going on maternity leave in 3 weeks
needless to say the atmosphere has changed tenfold

Ah, that old chestnut. Might as well go for the three weeks off and wait till the new boss is in place...

Probably worth documenting in some way how much better the workplace atmosphere is in her absence!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 14:46 - Jan 23 with 2443 viewspaulparker

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 14:30 - Jan 23 by TheChef

Ah, that old chestnut. Might as well go for the three weeks off and wait till the new boss is in place...

Probably worth documenting in some way how much better the workplace atmosphere is in her absence!

its already been noted Chef ,
this woman is pulling every trick in the book , the sickening part is she is on full pay as well and muggins here is picking up her work

Login to get fewer ads

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 15:51 - Jan 23 with 2366 viewskensalriser

Do you know for a fact she's been signed off sick, or has she really been suspended?

You might find out in due course that she has personal or domestic problems or perhaps even mental health issues. There's often a driving factor behind anti-social behaviour.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 15:54 - Jan 23 with 2360 viewstoboboly

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 14:46 - Jan 23 by paulparker

its already been noted Chef ,
this woman is pulling every trick in the book , the sickening part is she is on full pay as well and muggins here is picking up her work

Then make sure you do her work 10x as good as she does. Make lots of new friends round the office.

She isn't at work to change anyone's mind, you are. Don't do it obviously, do it with hard work and an authentic willingness to help and be approachable.

When/if she returns people will notice if things on both the work and personal side are worse when she is around.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Advise Please (HR Related ) on 11:52 - Feb 10 with 1888 views2Thomas2Bowles

Paul
I think she has sent you a letter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43003120

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024