Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clement speaks 21:16 - Feb 2 with 13892 viewsHeadmaster

I'm not subscribed, so can't read the full article, but here's the link anyway.

"Paul Clement interview: Swansea had eight midfielders but no left back — it was a headache"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paul-clement-interview-swansea-had-eight-midf
Clement speaks on 12:52 - Feb 3 with 1771 viewsmagicdaps10

That goal Arsenal scored on Tuesady.........Naughton was side on and marking no one, should have been square on, looking at play and easily able to see Monreal.

When Monreal make the run, he just blocks his run and makes him check or lets him run right into him.

Sorry but a Premier League footballer should be doing basics like getting his body shape correct in situations like this.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Clement speaks on 13:35 - Feb 3 with 1722 viewsWarwickHunt

Clement speaks on 12:37 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

Phil, over 90% of your posts you mention Jenkins.

Chrissy, he's over 90% of our problems.

I think we were among the first few to rumble him on here as out of his depth years ago. My opinion hasn't changed, in fact, it's hardened.

Not sure why yours has changed - have I missed something?
Clement speaks on 13:37 - Feb 3 with 1715 viewsdobjack2

Clement speaks on 12:35 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

Each season is dynamic and you will never know accurately from one week to the next what any one of our players may be worth to another club.

We've spent considerable money on loans this season. Mesa as well.

The first thing we'll do is assess how we do for the rest of the season. How many of our performing or under performing players will want to be here next year.

At this very moment in time I would say our playing assets would look something like this

Fab 15m
Mawson 25 to 35m
Jordan Ayew 15m to 20m
Andre Ayew 15m plus
Clucas 15 to 20m

And then you'd be surprised what players like Fernandez would command, VdH now as well, Bony.

There's just no point constantly looking at the doom and gloom. Clement has done this to most of you and now it's time to snap out of it and look at the positives, because this side was never as bad as fans made out.

All true but we have got where we are by poor recruitment, players and managers, and we are not going to be able to spend mega bucks to strengthen the squad without selling. Our players out on loan will save wages, if sold, but I can only see a fraction of our outlay coming back.

Mind you i’ll start worrying about further recruitment when this season is over and know which division we are in and who the manager is.
Clement speaks on 13:41 - Feb 3 with 1712 viewsWarwickHunt

Clement speaks on 12:52 - Feb 3 by magicdaps10

That goal Arsenal scored on Tuesady.........Naughton was side on and marking no one, should have been square on, looking at play and easily able to see Monreal.

When Monreal make the run, he just blocks his run and makes him check or lets him run right into him.

Sorry but a Premier League footballer should be doing basics like getting his body shape correct in situations like this.

My stream froze as Arsenal were on the edge of the box with two players unmarked outside Naughton with an easy pass on - I was dreading another goal and amazed when the stream came back and they hadn't scored.

*No mention of Jenkins in this post - ah fûck, schoolboy error...
Clement speaks on 13:47 - Feb 3 with 1695 viewsicecoldjack

Clement speaks on 11:39 - Feb 3 by 34dfgdf54

Pretty basic question, IF we stay up, how do we strengthen next season? None of our players are going to be going for big bucks, maybe Mawson for £20m?

The yanks aren’t going to invest, they probably haven’t even got the cash to do it if they wanted too, so what happens when we run out of expensive assets?

We pray the Yanks sell the club on or that Carlos gets a decent tune out the team and brings through a player or two from our age set ups .

I also hope Carlos can maybe find a player or 2 abroad that isn't a paint by numbers identikit prem signing, ie, loads of money to sign big wages big signing on fee plenty of hype but no end product !

As for clement, i think he is deflecting a touch here, if Jenkins wasn't giving him Chadli or signing what he wanted Clement could easily have walked out and lined up another top job a few months after, his stock was high after the miracle the previous season, no point in saying fook all to Huw but saying plenty months later after picking up his P 45.

As for talking about the players, well, he knew full well it wouldn't be Bayern standard ! this is where he fell down for me, it's easy to coach great players shape and tactical awareness but it's not easy to get more from average pro's thats a different skill set and they don't teach you that in coaching school .

He paints by numbers in this respect, same as monk, getting an extra 5% out of top level footballers is the big difference i don't think he had the skills for that myself .

The Sanches one, Clement should really have done his homework here, if he was any kind of a risk then it was very likely a bad start would finish the players fagile confidence, having an inside knowledge and knowing there were issues meant it was a risk not worth taking for a Swansea team already taking a chance on Tammy and the re-signing of Bony. Clement must take responsibility IMO .

His stock was high enough not to need to take any sh1t from Jenkins, if he had any kind of control then surely his voice should have been heard during the siggy saga ! "get rid now and get chadli in before we end up with nothing"
Maybe he said this maybe not .

Blame comes from both sides, an inexperienced manager and a DOF / transfer committee that wern't in tune to what was needed...again!
One thing is for sure, we can't keep carrying on this way, we are already a mirror image of teams like Sunderland,Villa,Fulham,Wigan and Blackburn, languishing in the bottom 6 for season after season getting slightly worse each year before falling through the trap door, we really need to start getting systems in place not lurch from one season to the next in more of a mess.
That lies in the hands of the club not it's managers .
Clement speaks on 13:51 - Feb 3 with 1692 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 13:35 - Feb 3 by WarwickHunt

Chrissy, he's over 90% of our problems.

I think we were among the first few to rumble him on here as out of his depth years ago. My opinion hasn't changed, in fact, it's hardened.

Not sure why yours has changed - have I missed something?

I don't think so Phil, you're on here every day. I've said enough times.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Clement speaks on 13:56 - Feb 3 with 1670 viewsTheResurrection

Such high horse claptrap from Flaps.

If you had to really dissect that goal, Yes, you would ultimately point a finger at Naughton but that was an absolute peach of a pass from Ozil.

Sometimes quality football will bring about a mistake

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Clement speaks on 13:59 - Feb 3 with 1662 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 13:41 - Feb 3 by WarwickHunt

My stream froze as Arsenal were on the edge of the box with two players unmarked outside Naughton with an easy pass on - I was dreading another goal and amazed when the stream came back and they hadn't scored.

*No mention of Jenkins in this post - ah fûck, schoolboy error...

Oh no, you mentioned him.

Every time you do.

Every. Time..... It's not healthy pal.

Login to get fewer ads

Clement speaks on 14:08 - Feb 3 with 1645 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 13:47 - Feb 3 by icecoldjack

We pray the Yanks sell the club on or that Carlos gets a decent tune out the team and brings through a player or two from our age set ups .

I also hope Carlos can maybe find a player or 2 abroad that isn't a paint by numbers identikit prem signing, ie, loads of money to sign big wages big signing on fee plenty of hype but no end product !

As for clement, i think he is deflecting a touch here, if Jenkins wasn't giving him Chadli or signing what he wanted Clement could easily have walked out and lined up another top job a few months after, his stock was high after the miracle the previous season, no point in saying fook all to Huw but saying plenty months later after picking up his P 45.

As for talking about the players, well, he knew full well it wouldn't be Bayern standard ! this is where he fell down for me, it's easy to coach great players shape and tactical awareness but it's not easy to get more from average pro's thats a different skill set and they don't teach you that in coaching school .

He paints by numbers in this respect, same as monk, getting an extra 5% out of top level footballers is the big difference i don't think he had the skills for that myself .

The Sanches one, Clement should really have done his homework here, if he was any kind of a risk then it was very likely a bad start would finish the players fagile confidence, having an inside knowledge and knowing there were issues meant it was a risk not worth taking for a Swansea team already taking a chance on Tammy and the re-signing of Bony. Clement must take responsibility IMO .

His stock was high enough not to need to take any sh1t from Jenkins, if he had any kind of control then surely his voice should have been heard during the siggy saga ! "get rid now and get chadli in before we end up with nothing"
Maybe he said this maybe not .

Blame comes from both sides, an inexperienced manager and a DOF / transfer committee that wern't in tune to what was needed...again!
One thing is for sure, we can't keep carrying on this way, we are already a mirror image of teams like Sunderland,Villa,Fulham,Wigan and Blackburn, languishing in the bottom 6 for season after season getting slightly worse each year before falling through the trap door, we really need to start getting systems in place not lurch from one season to the next in more of a mess.
That lies in the hands of the club not it's managers .

I disagree

This lies in the hands of Clement. We spent big on Mesa and Clucas, he wanted them, he signed them off, he ruined them.

He then went out and thought he could actually build a team around a 19 year old kid (WHAT??????) who hadn't played for a season and was clearly damaged.

This is gross negligence and nothing to do with recruitment in general.

Clement speaks on 14:08 - Feb 3 with 1645 viewsmagicdaps10

Clement speaks on 13:56 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

Such high horse claptrap from Flaps.

If you had to really dissect that goal, Yes, you would ultimately point a finger at Naughton but that was an absolute peach of a pass from Ozil.

Sometimes quality football will bring about a mistake

Claptrap you say!!

But also the words....... Yes....Point......Finger.......Naughton are used from you.

Your a beaut aye!!

Clement speaks on 14:11 - Feb 3 with 1639 viewsWarwickHunt

Clement speaks on 13:59 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

Oh no, you mentioned him.

Every time you do.

Every. Time..... It's not healthy pal.

I'm fine, mate.

I do worry about you sometimes though...
Clement speaks on 14:25 - Feb 3 with 1626 viewsJokeren1943

The only reason why former managers make these interview bullshites after they get sacked, is to try to look better.

They bend reality to fit into this concept/idea.

[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 14:27]
Clement speaks on 14:31 - Feb 3 with 1620 viewsKennedy

Yep, he may be an excellent coach but manager he is not.

Just call me JFK

Clement speaks on 14:31 - Feb 3 with 1618 viewsDarran

Clement speaks on 14:25 - Feb 3 by Jokeren1943

The only reason why former managers make these interview bullshites after they get sacked, is to try to look better.

They bend reality to fit into this concept/idea.

[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 14:27]

Some even hold a press conference.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Clement speaks on 14:35 - Feb 3 with 1609 viewsbringbacklaudrup

the tail-off under laudrup coincided witht the fact that all of Swansea’s attainable and important goals had already been met, and the following:

1) Danny Graham was sold in January
2) Michu and Chico got injured, so Swansea were left with no reliable striker or partner for Williams.
3) Swansea didn’t bring in any players in the transfer window that would fill those gaps. Lamah was not even playing most matches.

Poll: Would you rather have Woods or Chirivella?

Clement speaks on 14:42 - Feb 3 with 1601 viewsicecoldjack

Clement speaks on 14:08 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

I disagree

This lies in the hands of Clement. We spent big on Mesa and Clucas, he wanted them, he signed them off, he ruined them.

He then went out and thought he could actually build a team around a 19 year old kid (WHAT??????) who hadn't played for a season and was clearly damaged.

This is gross negligence and nothing to do with recruitment in general.

If clement really wanted Clucas and Mesa then maybe, but do we know that's the case ?

If clement was desperate for Mesa why didn't he play him ?
If he was desperate for Clucas surely he would know exactly where to play him and how best to use him ?

IMO managers arn't having things 100% their own way at the Swans, that can be good and bad, clement mentioned there were 8 midfielders and 1 left back and that it was a crazy situation, so reading between the lines it points to Clement not having full control of matters, i blame him indirectly because he should have either exerted more control or had the balls to walk away while his stock was still high, he seemed to have done neither .

Lets remember clement said he wanted Chadli, he didn't get Chadli though, we had the money so why not, did clement over rule himself or did Jenkins decide the chadli deal wasn't happening ?
Clement speaks on 14:47 - Feb 3 with 1594 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Like Xhaka did when Clucas walked past him fir the equalizer?

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Clement speaks on 14:58 - Feb 3 with 1572 viewsKennedy

Maybe West Brom were asking too much.

The left back situation was stupid. I remember Clement saying Clucas could play there if needed. That worked well did'nt it.

I don't think Mesa was his signing it was a 'moneyball' signing. His stats very excellent from spain but he just could not settle. Match that with a manager who never played him and his confidence was rock bottom.

Just call me JFK

Clement speaks on 15:07 - Feb 3 with 1557 viewsdobjack2

Clement speaks on 14:58 - Feb 3 by Kennedy

The left back situation was stupid. I remember Clement saying Clucas could play there if needed. That worked well did'nt it.

I don't think Mesa was his signing it was a 'moneyball' signing. His stats very excellent from spain but he just could not settle. Match that with a manager who never played him and his confidence was rock bottom.

Clement clearly wanted the player but equally clear was that West Brom wanted too much. It happens. No apparent plan B was the issue.

Or was Sanches plan B in which case he was the wrong type of player, let alone the wrong player anyway, to fill the gap in the squad.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 15:09]
Clement speaks on 15:52 - Feb 3 with 1535 viewsmagicdaps10

Clement speaks on 14:47 - Feb 3 by PatchesOHoulihan

Like Xhaka did when Clucas walked past him fir the equalizer?

That is correct.

Clement speaks on 15:57 - Feb 3 with 1529 viewsicecoldjack

Clement speaks on 14:58 - Feb 3 by Kennedy

West Ham wanted too much for Ayew but we paid it anyway !! if the club doesn't back it's managers then how do they expect the team to progress ?
Clement speaks on 17:12 - Feb 3 with 1501 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 14:42 - Feb 3 by icecoldjack

If clement really wanted Clucas and Mesa then maybe, but do we know that's the case ?

If clement was desperate for Mesa why didn't he play him ?
If he was desperate for Clucas surely he would know exactly where to play him and how best to use him ?

IMO managers arn't having things 100% their own way at the Swans, that can be good and bad, clement mentioned there were 8 midfielders and 1 left back and that it was a crazy situation, so reading between the lines it points to Clement not having full control of matters, i blame him indirectly because he should have either exerted more control or had the balls to walk away while his stock was still high, he seemed to have done neither .

Lets remember clement said he wanted Chadli, he didn't get Chadli though, we had the money so why not, did clement over rule himself or did Jenkins decide the chadli deal wasn't happening ?

No Swans fan in their right mind was advocating Chadli, not one at that price - £25m!!??

And look what's happened to him, out for the season pretty much. You can't go bemoaning 1 player, that just shows you up if you're a manager, it was an embarrassing comment from a coach who knows his career is over. Back to Academy coaching for him i'm afraid.

And there's only 1 manager in the EPL that has full control over players. This has been mentioned many times, Gus Poyet was on Talk Sport this week saying exactly the same. Managers have a say, they don't have full control.

Clement was "happy" to bring in Mesa and Clucas. He just didn't have a clue what to do with them.

Clement speaks on 17:43 - Feb 3 with 1474 viewsscruffyjack

Naughton didn’t know Monreal was there and didn’t pick up the Wolves striker for their equaliser. On the bbc live website today the commentator stated ‘why is Naughton letting Albrighton cut inside him every time, without making any attempt to check his run?’
Clement speaks on 17:48 - Feb 3 with 1460 viewsperchrockjack

Indeed

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Clement speaks on 21:02 - Feb 3 with 1386 viewsjacksfullaces

Clement is obviously playing to the crowd and keeping his career afloat, yet I'm surprised at some of the reactions on here to him basically saying he was dealt a bad hand. Bony is crocked, Gylfi wasn't replaced, there has been some awful wheeler dealing. and the investment model we have is weak, as it doesn't appear to be supported by any reasonably scouting system/strategy.

OK, he was negative, and we were spiralling in the end, but he's entitled to say most of the other stuff, good luck to him, he instilled a bit of belief in the squad when he came in last year. It's just he seemed to retreat into himself when the real pressure mounted.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024