Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pointless Traffic Lights 08:56 - Feb 14 with 6516 viewssquarebear

The ones in Sketty, where Gower Road meets De la Beche Road.

What the absolute feck good do they do?

They haven’t solved the problem of congestion on Gower Road but - ooh, shocker - they’ve certainly introduced congestion on De la Beche. Presumably this is one of those ill thought out schemes where the LibDems (Presumably its them. They seem to be big fans of traffic lights) decide “If we stick a few sets around the gaffe then drivers will find another route and traffic congestion will magically disappear. Which isn’t going to work if you frigging well LIVE there.

And nice touch only putting a filter light on one set out of four. Very helpful.

The daft pricks.

As you were.

Pointless Traffic Lights on 07:57 - Feb 15 with 1320 viewsdickythorpe

If you can drive in Swansea you can drive anywhere. #isurvived
Pointless Traffic Lights on 08:00 - Feb 15 with 1315 viewssquarebear

Pointless Traffic Lights on 20:43 - Feb 14 by swanforthemoney

Read my original post, I said i thought lights are not the answer. It would have been relatively easy to remodel the mini roundabout to improve it.

I'll continue to use the bridge thanks when on foot.

I am aware of the accidents that occur at Sketty lights. Different issue. For the record there's also loads of broken plastic accident residue at the mini roundabout near Gower college.

Perhaps it just proves that we drivers in the Uplands Sketty area are just sh1t.

This is why they did it evidently
https://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/31873/Swansea-School-backs-Sketty-Safe-Routes

That link is interesting. They also installed a pelican crossing right outside the school entrance so kids could cross and head west. The changes to the road junction are surely superfluous in light of that.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 13:05 - Feb 15 with 1272 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 07:20 - Feb 15 by curleigh

And the powers to be complain about carbon footprint, when you have cars on standstill for ages at these traffic lights and traffic calming measures where you have to slow down, change gear, our council don't have a clue!!!

How would you like to live next door to St Benedict's Church in Sketty. They've put a peninsula jutting out into the road at the bus stop there, and white shading in the middle of the road to stop traffic behind the stopped bus from getting passed.
Sometimes, when two buses arrive there at the same time, it's led to traffic being backed up to the shops in Uplands, and most of them belching out diesel fumes.
I think residents there should be seeking legal advice on that.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 13:21 - Feb 15 with 1269 viewsJack59

Pointless Traffic Lights on 07:51 - Feb 15 by squarebear

I seem to remember reading that the speed bumps along Sketty Park Drive were installed not only as a means of controlling speed but to actively deter drivers from taking that route.

It’s worked as far as I’m concerned. Ditto the speed bumps on Glanmor Park Road though it’s still quicker during rush hour than sitting in traffic on Parc Wern Road.

The Sketty lights - I do recall seeing drivers coming from the Swansea direction just bull-rushing the roundabout, which I agree was dangerous. But a redesign of the roundabout and improved signage would have been a wiser, better option. Whether it was practical, I dunno. The LibDems have form for chucking traffic lights up.

Talking of which, the pelican crossing on Sketty Park Road - why on earth wasn’t that made a zebra crossing? The time lag between pressing the button and the lights changing is comically long, meaning you’re likely to be across the road and out of sight by the time the cars stop at a deserted crossing.

These planners really need my help :)

Admittedly I recognise that the issues planners face are more complex than I am making them out to be. Perhaps there are forums I’m unaware of where the public can feed back and the council can explain their rationale.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2018 7:55]

The culprits responsible are more likely to be called 'Traffic Engineers' than 'Planners'
But if you try and find out who the individuals are, you would need to be a combination of Sherlock, Poirot, and Morse to have any chance.
They behave more like Thames House MI 5 Headquarters than local council offices.

WE ARE PAYING THEIR SALARIES AND THEY WANT TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS.
Pointless Traffic Lights on 13:39 - Feb 15 with 1257 viewsEbo

Fabian way - ditto. Thankfully I do not commute in that way these days, but i am hearing there are way too many lights from Amazon all the way down to SA1/marina. It's a free for all getting out of the marina where that box junction is.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024