Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is how a leader should act. 20:43 - May 31 with 14734 viewspeenemunde

Well done president Trump, protecting the American steel industry.
Doing what he said he’d do, during election campaign.
A man of his word........
This is how a leader should act. on 18:27 - Jun 1 with 2831 viewslondonlisa2001

This is how a leader should act. on 18:18 - Jun 1 by Lohengrin

“Around 10% of Tata Steel UK’s exports are to the United States, and are largely made up of the most sophisticated and high-tech steel products in the world, much of which the Americans cannot produce themselves.

That’s all perfectly true aside from the 10% part. I don’t understand where that is coming from unless it’s part of some political consideration to overstate for dramatic emphasis? I deal with scheduling every day and it’s nowhere near that much, nothing like.

I’m starting to feel like watching or reading the news now is like tuning in to The Twilight Zone!

“Tata Steel has urged the EU to take "swift and robust action" in response to a US decision to impose a 25% tariff on European steel.
The US said the tariffs on imports from the EU, Mexico and Canada would start at midnight.
This will impact directly on Port Talbot as about 10% of Tata Steel Europe's exports go to the US.
Wales' First Minister Carwyn Jones called it "short-sighted" with wide-ranging implications for business.
Liberty Steel's Welsh plants including Newport will not be affected, but it could hit parts of its UK operations.
Almost 7,000 workers are employed by Tata in Wales, including about 4,000 in Port Talbot.”

From the BBC yesterday.

The FT has a long article today as well saying the same thing.

Tata can’t make this stuff up for dramatic effect - it’s hurting their share price enormously.

[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 18:30]
This is how a leader should act. on 18:29 - Jun 1 with 2823 viewspeenemunde

This is how a leader should act. on 18:27 - Jun 1 by londonlisa2001

“Tata Steel has urged the EU to take "swift and robust action" in response to a US decision to impose a 25% tariff on European steel.
The US said the tariffs on imports from the EU, Mexico and Canada would start at midnight.
This will impact directly on Port Talbot as about 10% of Tata Steel Europe's exports go to the US.
Wales' First Minister Carwyn Jones called it "short-sighted" with wide-ranging implications for business.
Liberty Steel's Welsh plants including Newport will not be affected, but it could hit parts of its UK operations.
Almost 7,000 workers are employed by Tata in Wales, including about 4,000 in Port Talbot.”

From the BBC yesterday.

Tata can’t make this stuff up for dramatic effect - it’s hurting their share price enormously.

From the BBC ffs.
If the bbc said it was Friday, I’d have to go and check.
This is how a leader should act. on 18:35 - Jun 1 with 2813 viewslondonlisa2001

This is how a leader should act. on 18:29 - Jun 1 by peenemunde

From the BBC ffs.

Yeah, they are making up quotes from Tata just to annoy you dgt.

As are the FT, Telegraph, Independent, Guardian and every other news outlet.
(No subject) (n/t) on 18:36 - Jun 1 with 2810 viewsWark

This is how a leader should act. on 21:48 - May 31 by Batterseajack

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂😩😂😂😂
[Post edited 31 May 2018 21:49]

This is how a leader should act. on 18:45 - Jun 1 with 2790 viewsLohengrin

This is how a leader should act. on 18:27 - Jun 1 by londonlisa2001

From the BBC yesterday.

The information you’re pasting up is contradictory, Lisa. The UK Division doesn’t come under the ‘Europe’ umbrella and hasn't for some time. It's a separate entity.

This will all move to a rapid resolution anyway just as soon as the procurement head at the Pentagon explains to Donald Quixote that they cannot produce X and Y without Z and The Brits are the only folks who supply the Z, he’s probably having that laid out before him now. His erratic habit of leaping before looking must really be starting to grate on those who know what they’re about on both sides of the pond.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 18:47]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

This is how a leader should act. on 18:48 - Jun 1 with 2777 viewsLeonWasGod

This is how a leader should act. on 18:29 - Jun 1 by peenemunde

From the BBC ffs.

They're all out to get you. Buckle up for the ride and don't forget to use protection .

This is how a leader should act. on 18:55 - Jun 1 with 2757 viewslondonlisa2001

This is how a leader should act. on 18:45 - Jun 1 by Lohengrin

The information you’re pasting up is contradictory, Lisa. The UK Division doesn’t come under the ‘Europe’ umbrella and hasn't for some time. It's a separate entity.

This will all move to a rapid resolution anyway just as soon as the procurement head at the Pentagon explains to Donald Quixote that they cannot produce X and Y without Z and The Brits are the only folks who supply the Z, he’s probably having that laid out before him now. His erratic habit of leaping before looking must really be starting to grate on those who know what they’re about on both sides of the pond.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 18:47]

Tata Steel Europe is UK and Netherlands. Or it is according to the Tata website. Headquartered in London.

It may be that the Netherlands exports a lot to US? Which hits UK as they are the same business.

Don’t know.

I only know what Tata are saying.

https://www.tatasteeleurope.com/en/about—us/operations
This is how a leader should act. on 19:04 - Jun 1 with 2743 viewsLohengrin

This is how a leader should act. on 18:55 - Jun 1 by londonlisa2001

Tata Steel Europe is UK and Netherlands. Or it is according to the Tata website. Headquartered in London.

It may be that the Netherlands exports a lot to US? Which hits UK as they are the same business.

Don’t know.

I only know what Tata are saying.

https://www.tatasteeleurope.com/en/about—us/operations

Their site needs updating, Lisa. The Orb plant in Gwent has been sold off too since that was published.

Login to get fewer ads

This is how a leader should act. on 19:28 - Jun 1 with 2718 viewslondonlisa2001

This is how a leader should act. on 19:04 - Jun 1 by Lohengrin

Their site needs updating, Lisa. The Orb plant in Gwent has been sold off too since that was published.

Well this is the Tata main worldwide corporate site for investors as at 10 seconds ago.

If this is incorrect, it’s quite an issue...

http://www.europe.tata.com/Company/ProfilePage/Tata-Steel-Europe

And the Orb sale isn’t complete as yet.
This is how a leader should act. on 19:36 - Jun 1 with 2701 viewsShaky

British Steel acquired (merged with) Hoogevens around the top of the stock market around 2000.

One of my old mates at UBS was lead advisor for British Steel, and I have a shocking story about that deal I must never reveal!

They then changed their name to Corus and were in turn acquired by Tata around the top of the market in 2007. Trebles all round!!

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

This is how a leader should act. on 19:51 - Jun 1 with 2675 viewsShaky

Those who thought Trump's resorting to protectionism and imposition of tariffs against key international allies was the most stupid thing he could do should think again:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Trump Orders Action to Stem Coal, Nuclear Plant Shutdowns

By Jennifer A Dlouhy

Bloomberg, June 1, 2018, 1:28 PM EDT Updated on June 1, 2018, 2:01 PM EDT

* President directs Energy Department to take steps on power
* Premature closures put electric grid at risk, White House says

President Donald Trump ordered his energy secretary to take immediate action to stem power plant closures, arguing that a decline in coal and nuclear electricity is putting the nation’s security at risk.

. . .Opponents of the new proposal contend the intervention is a solution in search of a problem and that there are other ways to back up the grid.

A major grid operator, PJM Interconnection, said in a statement that the power system is more reliable than ever and federal intervention isn’t needed.

"There is no need for any such drastic action," the company said. “Any federal intervention in the market to order customers to buy electricity from specific power plants would be damaging to the markets and therefore costly to consumers.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-06-01/trump-orders-perry-to-ste

Misology -- It's a bitch

This is how a leader should act. on 20:08 - Jun 1 with 2650 viewsShaky

Trump is absolutely off his fcuking trolley.

The reason for the decline in US coal-fired and nuclear power generation capacity is partly obsolescence, fuel switching from coal to gas, and importantly the switch into cheap alternative energy forms like wind and solar.

Wind and solar are significant growth industries in the US and there is a vibrant and diverse alternative energy industry that is growing rapidly.

Trump's move is a cynical political ploy to pander to a coal industry where employment is tiny on account of mature automation technologies both in extraction, mining and handling.

It is pure insanity harming the US's already lagging international position in alternative energy for the sake of a few thousand jobs. Pure insanity.

If Putin were pulling Trumps's strings with a view to damaging long term US competitiveness, this is precisely the sort of moronic thing he would be doing.

Misology -- It's a bitch

This is how a leader should act. on 20:39 - Jun 1 with 2630 viewspeenemunde

This is how a leader should act. on 20:08 - Jun 1 by Shaky

The reason for the decline in US coal-fired and nuclear power generation capacity is partly obsolescence, fuel switching from coal to gas, and importantly the switch into cheap alternative energy forms like wind and solar.

Wind and solar are significant growth industries in the US and there is a vibrant and diverse alternative energy industry that is growing rapidly.

Trump's move is a cynical political ploy to pander to a coal industry where employment is tiny on account of mature automation technologies both in extraction, mining and handling.

It is pure insanity harming the US's already lagging international position in alternative energy for the sake of a few thousand jobs. Pure insanity.

If Putin were pulling Trumps's strings with a view to damaging long term US competitiveness, this is precisely the sort of moronic thing he would be doing.

Absolute nonsense.
This is how a leader should act. on 20:50 - Jun 1 with 2619 viewsKilkennyjack

This is how a leader should act. on 20:39 - Jun 1 by peenemunde

Absolute nonsense.

Absolute nonsense to say its absolute nonsense.

Beware of the Risen People

This is how a leader should act. on 20:51 - Jun 1 with 2609 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

This is how a leader should act. on 17:51 - Jun 1 by peenemunde

Give me one direct quote.

Have you been living in a cave?

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

This is how a leader should act. on 21:03 - Jun 1 with 2595 viewsShaky

This is how a leader should act. on 20:39 - Jun 1 by peenemunde

Absolute nonsense.

Anything specific?

Misology -- It's a bitch

This is how a leader should act. on 21:07 - Jun 1 with 2593 viewsLohengrin

This is how a leader should act. on 19:28 - Jun 1 by londonlisa2001

Well this is the Tata main worldwide corporate site for investors as at 10 seconds ago.

If this is incorrect, it’s quite an issue...

http://www.europe.tata.com/Company/ProfilePage/Tata-Steel-Europe

And the Orb sale isn’t complete as yet.

It’s confusing and if anybody reading this is able to shed further light you’d be more than welcome to do it. Obviously Tata own the lot but when you see the terms Tata UK, Tata Europe, or more broadly Tata in Europe employed there’s more than just semantics at play. It’s my understanding there was administrative separation around the time of the BSPS Pension dispute and limiting liabilities apropos the joint-venture negotiations with ThyssenKrupp.

Orb is at the dotting and crossing stage, I believe.

This is how a leader should act. on 00:01 - Jun 2 with 2538 viewsDJack

This is how a leader should act. on 20:08 - Jun 1 by Shaky

Shaky, this might shock you...I am gutted that I am unable to up-arrow you repeatedly for this.

I believe, that currently, the green power industries in America are cheaper and more reliant than coal. Clinton (Hilary) had proposed re-training all the coalminers in renewables but they refused to budge as thay are to conservative and think that being a coalminer makes them something...yeah, outdated, outmoded.

Now the Federal Government are going to prop up the coal (and nuclear) industries...free market capitalism, my ass!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

This is how a leader should act. on 06:58 - Jun 2 with 2481 viewspeenemunde

This is how a leader should act. on 00:01 - Jun 2 by DJack

Shaky, this might shock you...I am gutted that I am unable to up-arrow you repeatedly for this.

I believe, that currently, the green power industries in America are cheaper and more reliant than coal. Clinton (Hilary) had proposed re-training all the coalminers in renewables but they refused to budge as thay are to conservative and think that being a coalminer makes them something...yeah, outdated, outmoded.

Now the Federal Government are going to prop up the coal (and nuclear) industries...free market capitalism, my ass!

Isn’t nuclear green then ?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2018 7:34]
This is how a leader should act. on 09:22 - Jun 2 with 2439 viewsHighjack

This is how a leader should act. on 06:58 - Jun 2 by peenemunde

It’s carbon neutral but definitely wouldn’t be described as green by most

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

This is how a leader should act. on 09:24 - Jun 2 with 2437 viewspeenemunde

This is how a leader should act. on 09:22 - Jun 2 by Highjack

It’s carbon neutral but definitely wouldn’t be described as green by most

So we rely on wind then
This is how a leader should act. on 09:31 - Jun 2 with 2431 viewsHighjack

This is how a leader should act. on 09:24 - Jun 2 by peenemunde

So we rely on wind then

It’s pretty much inevitable with my diet.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

This is how a leader should act. on 10:09 - Jun 2 with 2411 viewsShaky

This is how a leader should act. on 00:01 - Jun 2 by DJack

Wind and solar/PV are competitive in many areas for many applications, and are certainly creating significant turmoil in generation (and conventional power engineering) markets.

However, a key obstacle to greater penetration of renewables is a lack of cost effective large scale energy storage technologies, although that is less of an issue in markets without much energy intensive industry.

Batteries of various types are ok for small/medium sized residential load balancing in combination with PV but are not really appropriate for grid scale applications.

Most of the decent sites for pumped storage hydro have already been exploited and although there are some other promising technologies for large scale storage, they are probably at least 8-10 years away from widespread market introduction.

In the meantime there is more than ample conventional base load power generation capacity to smooth out supply shortfalls from renewables when the wind isn't blowing or the sun isn't shining.

In fact there is so much excess capacity that in markets like Germany wholesale electricity prices that generators obtain from the grid are negative for large parts of the day. In other words generators have to pay for the electricity they produce!!

As renewables increasingly disrupt conventional power gen technologies this is a feature coming to a market near you soon, and raises significant questions about things like how can nuclear power plants be decommissioned if they can not generate a market return to finance that.

On a long term basis the right solution is to shift subsidies from renewables and emerging alternative sources to old base load technologies. Subsidies distort competition but are always much better than artificially manipulating market rules as Trump is doing, regardless of the fact that any tinkering is completely premature in the US. At least subsidies are easy to quantify and their effect transparent.

Misology -- It's a bitch

This is how a leader should act. on 14:02 - Jun 2 with 2359 viewsDJack

This is how a leader should act. on 06:58 - Jun 2 by peenemunde

A couple of points...

Any comment on the fact that green tech is now viable and in many cases cheaper?

Any comment on an overly conservative workforce refusing help to train them in new job fields, so that they can continue in a dying industry?

Any comments on a Republican government going completely against it's core values of "not pickingwiners/losers" - free market economy, not interfering in markets and/or it's peoples lives (small government)?

Any comments on a government using wartime laws to subvert current laws, agreements and norms of trade/society?

No, just a vacuous comment offering nothing

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

This is how a leader should act. on 15:45 - Jun 2 with 2330 viewspeenemunde

This is how a leader should act. on 14:02 - Jun 2 by DJack

A couple of points...

Any comment on the fact that green tech is now viable and in many cases cheaper?

Any comment on an overly conservative workforce refusing help to train them in new job fields, so that they can continue in a dying industry?

Any comments on a Republican government going completely against it's core values of "not pickingwiners/losers" - free market economy, not interfering in markets and/or it's peoples lives (small government)?

Any comments on a government using wartime laws to subvert current laws, agreements and norms of trade/society?

No, just a vacuous comment offering nothing

A couple is two not four.
What green technology do we have that can complete with nuclear ?
The idea that all workers in the coal power stations, refused training, I find laughable.
As for the Republican Party, going against its core values, is nonsense. Trump stood on a platform and was voted in, and now he’s carrying out his promises to the American people.
Great man.👍
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024