Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EV Drivers 16:24 - Aug 23 with 8113 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

Any fellow Jacks enjoying the benefits of driving an EV?

I'm currently whizzing round in a Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna. Love it!
EV Drivers on 22:49 - Aug 23 with 1993 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

EV Drivers on 22:17 - Aug 23 by builthjack

Why don't they put dynamos on each wheel to recharge batteries. They would run for longer. Or is that too simple?

The Nissan Leaf does have regenerative breaking when driven in a particular mode. So when you lift your foot off the accelerator the Regen kicks in and slows you down and adds power back to the battery.

For example, Cardigan Town is 9 miles from home and its predominantly down hill from where I live. I can leave my house with 100 miles showing on the range and drive the 9 miles to Cardigan and arrive with 105+ showing on the range on the dash. I've seen a few percent added to the battery whilst driving downhill as well.
EV Drivers on 22:56 - Aug 23 with 1984 viewsbuilthjack

EV Drivers on 22:49 - Aug 23 by SingUpNorthBank84

The Nissan Leaf does have regenerative breaking when driven in a particular mode. So when you lift your foot off the accelerator the Regen kicks in and slows you down and adds power back to the battery.

For example, Cardigan Town is 9 miles from home and its predominantly down hill from where I live. I can leave my house with 100 miles showing on the range and drive the 9 miles to Cardigan and arrive with 105+ showing on the range on the dash. I've seen a few percent added to the battery whilst driving downhill as well.

A bit like from PenyFan to Brecon then. 7.5 miles in neutral, as long as nobody is on your tail it can be done.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

EV Drivers on 22:59 - Aug 23 with 1980 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

EV Drivers on 22:56 - Aug 23 by builthjack

A bit like from PenyFan to Brecon then. 7.5 miles in neutral, as long as nobody is on your tail it can be done.

Haha, exactly that.
EV Drivers on 04:34 - Aug 24 with 1928 viewsWhiterockin

EV Drivers on 20:55 - Aug 23 by Lord_Bony

Looks like the manufacture of diesel and petrol cars will stop by 2040.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/25/new-diesel-petrol-cars-banned-uk-roa

How will this work if you can not park you car outside your house to charge, terraced houses, flats, inner city, resident parking ect. All well and good if you can park outside your house and plug in but but many can't. The only way I can see it working is if you charge a booster pack during the day and place it your boot overnight to charge the car (as you can with a mobile). But technology will need to move on a long way to do this.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

EV Drivers on 08:56 - Aug 24 with 1891 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

EV Drivers on 04:34 - Aug 24 by Whiterockin

How will this work if you can not park you car outside your house to charge, terraced houses, flats, inner city, resident parking ect. All well and good if you can park outside your house and plug in but but many can't. The only way I can see it working is if you charge a booster pack during the day and place it your boot overnight to charge the car (as you can with a mobile). But technology will need to move on a long way to do this.

I know the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has recently rolled out new style lamp posts that allow EV's to be plugged into them and charged.

I'd imagine all council car parking bays will have a charging posts fitted for example. There are currently two bays in St Peters car park in Carmarthen Town I use when shopping and also in the Mart Car park in Newcastle Emlyn which I use occasionally. Both are free to use.

Lots of supermarkets have a few charging Bays, IKEA stores have them as well. I know in Wales all National Trust sites have or should have free charging as well.

Progress is happening but it'll be interesting to see what happens by 2040.
EV Drivers on 09:18 - Aug 24 with 1881 viewsfelixstowe_jack

EV Drivers on 22:17 - Aug 23 by builthjack

Why don't they put dynamos on each wheel to recharge batteries. They would run for longer. Or is that too simple?

Once you lift your foot off the accelerator power is disconnected from the electric motor. The electric motor is being turned by car wheels and transmission and acts as a generator to recharge the battery and the load on the motor will slow car down. A gentle touch on the brake pedal with activate the regenerative breaking to recharge the battery.

The list price is very misleading, there is a government grant, nissan contribution and dealer will also offer an incentive depending on his sales target. They may also offer a free home charging unit as part of the deal. Best option is to take a two lease to see if the car suits your needs. After two years you can either pay a cash to sum to buy it or wait for the new 60KW model which should have a range around 300 miles.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

EV Drivers on 10:49 - Aug 24 with 1844 viewscontroversial_jack

EV Drivers on 20:01 - Aug 23 by SingUpNorthBank84

Picked up my 2 year old Leaf for just under £16k, its a top spec with most gadgets. I'd say the car will comfortably do 110-120 miles. I really need to get out and try it.

Not sure where you got the charging times from. Rapid charging at services takes anywhere from 30-40 mins to 100%.

Home charging on a 3 pin plug at home can easy take over 10 hours but I find its rare I get home with an empty battery so it less.

Home charges can be fit from £200 upwards at that will reduce your charge time 3.5 hours.

That's fine if you have your own driveway, but if you live in a terraced house, or flats and can't park outside your house how will you home charge.It won't be possible to run cables across the pavement to your car.
EV Drivers on 13:48 - Aug 24 with 1816 viewsBrynCartwright

EV Drivers on 08:56 - Aug 24 by SingUpNorthBank84

I know the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has recently rolled out new style lamp posts that allow EV's to be plugged into them and charged.

I'd imagine all council car parking bays will have a charging posts fitted for example. There are currently two bays in St Peters car park in Carmarthen Town I use when shopping and also in the Mart Car park in Newcastle Emlyn which I use occasionally. Both are free to use.

Lots of supermarkets have a few charging Bays, IKEA stores have them as well. I know in Wales all National Trust sites have or should have free charging as well.

Progress is happening but it'll be interesting to see what happens by 2040.

Noticed a couple of Tesla branded chargers in the Oxwich Bay car park last time I was there a few weeks ago.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Login to get fewer ads

EV Drivers on 14:07 - Aug 24 with 1812 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

EV Drivers on 13:48 - Aug 24 by BrynCartwright

Noticed a couple of Tesla branded chargers in the Oxwich Bay car park last time I was there a few weeks ago.

Yes, the Tesla charging infrastructure is second to none. All free as well!

I know that my Leaf will charge off one of the Tesla charges, worth checking if you get the Jag.
EV Drive1rs on 09:43 - Feb 6 with 1561 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

Great discussion on Radio 5 live about EV's now.
EV Drivers on 09:51 - Feb 6 with 1552 viewsdickythorpe

False economy I'm hearing. You need to replace the chargers before the car bodywork goes and that costs Megabucks.

It's all a con. These chargers won't be dotted around anytime soon. Look at how many petrol stations there are, then seriously think how many charge points will be needed.
I take a minute and a half to fill a 50 litre tank , have people got the time to charge a car?
EV Drivers on 10:03 - Feb 6 with 1537 viewsLeonWasGod

EV Drivers on 09:51 - Feb 6 by dickythorpe

False economy I'm hearing. You need to replace the chargers before the car bodywork goes and that costs Megabucks.

It's all a con. These chargers won't be dotted around anytime soon. Look at how many petrol stations there are, then seriously think how many charge points will be needed.
I take a minute and a half to fill a 50 litre tank , have people got the time to charge a car?

Unless you’re doing mega miles like a rep, people have got time to charge a car.

Personally I think we should be going down the hydrogen route, but all the manufacturers are embracing electric. So that’s where it’s going. Things will improve quite quickly as it’s still early days.

Our next small car will be full electric. We’ve solar panels and a battery, so it’s a no brainer. Charging will be at no extra cost (will still be getting the generation & feed in tariffs, so essentially we’ll be paid to refuel). Cars aren’t cheap but then they’re never an investment anyway. Resale values seem to hold up though.
EV Drivers on 11:34 - Feb 6 with 1496 viewslonglostjack

EV Drivers on 10:03 - Feb 6 by LeonWasGod

Unless you’re doing mega miles like a rep, people have got time to charge a car.

Personally I think we should be going down the hydrogen route, but all the manufacturers are embracing electric. So that’s where it’s going. Things will improve quite quickly as it’s still early days.

Our next small car will be full electric. We’ve solar panels and a battery, so it’s a no brainer. Charging will be at no extra cost (will still be getting the generation & feed in tariffs, so essentially we’ll be paid to refuel). Cars aren’t cheap but then they’re never an investment anyway. Resale values seem to hold up though.

I agree. The hydrogen route would be better but China has decided to go electric so the car manufacturers have to follow.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

EV Drivers on 12:30 - Feb 6 with 1473 viewscontroversial_jack

EV Drivers on 09:51 - Feb 6 by dickythorpe

The batteries will only last a few years and will be mega bucks to replace. If you run out of charge en route, you can't just leave the car and walk to the nearest station for a new battery or call out the RAC.The whole scheme hasn't been properly thought out
EV Drivers on 13:35 - Feb 6 with 1449 viewswaynekerr55

EV Drivers on 18:29 - Aug 23 by Gowerjack

I had a Lexus CT hybrid for a while.

Easily the worst car I've ever driven.

Hello Mr Partridge

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

EV Drivers on 13:53 - Feb 6 with 1439 viewsCooperman

The market shift towards EV is very much happening, it's just not great pace right now.

The predictions are that by 2028 the cost of EV will break even versus the internal combustion engine and become more cost effective thereafter. Battery cell price is already on a steep downard curve and I assume that by 2025 we will be near €60 per KWh (it's around €100 per KWh today). Daimler have recently signed off a multi billion dollar purchase related to battery cells over the next decade. Two markets that will definitely decrease over the short to medium term are the HEV and diesel engine products and diesel market share could be as low as 5% by 2025. The problem with HEV is that it's both difficult and expensive to package both ICE and EV tech.

UK infrastructure to support EV is currently a problem but less so on the continent. The advent of fast charging is limited by the lack of three phase at home so the solution to this will be a combination of new vehicle technology and fast charging stations at garages, retail parks and so on. The German solution to this is three phase at home where charge at 22Kw is feasible. Fast charging brings another problem though; there are some dangers in that the heat generated can cause battery cells to explode so again the battery tech firms and car makers are spending billions on battery cell development and management.

In light of all of this I would expect the EV market to reach 10% within 10 years from now; possibly quicker if driven by incentive based schemes.

As for the Nissan Leaf, it's now on its 3rd generation power module and is capable of very good distance and range. Dare I say it also looks like a normal car and not like something out of Total Recall. The sylists at Nissan have done an excellent job.

Don't write off the advent of EV just yet folks.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

EV Drivers on 14:39 - Feb 6 with 1408 viewsZaxx

EV Drivers on 13:53 - Feb 6 by Cooperman

The market shift towards EV is very much happening, it's just not great pace right now.

The predictions are that by 2028 the cost of EV will break even versus the internal combustion engine and become more cost effective thereafter. Battery cell price is already on a steep downard curve and I assume that by 2025 we will be near €60 per KWh (it's around €100 per KWh today). Daimler have recently signed off a multi billion dollar purchase related to battery cells over the next decade. Two markets that will definitely decrease over the short to medium term are the HEV and diesel engine products and diesel market share could be as low as 5% by 2025. The problem with HEV is that it's both difficult and expensive to package both ICE and EV tech.

UK infrastructure to support EV is currently a problem but less so on the continent. The advent of fast charging is limited by the lack of three phase at home so the solution to this will be a combination of new vehicle technology and fast charging stations at garages, retail parks and so on. The German solution to this is three phase at home where charge at 22Kw is feasible. Fast charging brings another problem though; there are some dangers in that the heat generated can cause battery cells to explode so again the battery tech firms and car makers are spending billions on battery cell development and management.

In light of all of this I would expect the EV market to reach 10% within 10 years from now; possibly quicker if driven by incentive based schemes.

As for the Nissan Leaf, it's now on its 3rd generation power module and is capable of very good distance and range. Dare I say it also looks like a normal car and not like something out of Total Recall. The sylists at Nissan have done an excellent job.

Don't lend your EV to Richard Hammond whatever you do...
EV Drivers on 16:07 - Feb 6 with 1388 viewscontroversial_jack

EV Drivers on 13:53 - Feb 6 by Cooperman

A large proportion of homes in the Uk simply don't have offoad parking as many homes are terraced houses and also there are many flats and high rises.It won't be possible to charge at home because of this very reason
EV Drivers on 16:14 - Feb 6 with 1384 viewsProfessor

No doubt it is the future, but the cost, infrastructure and indeed the environmental costs to produce current batteries mean it is not really viable for me. The electric version of my car is well over double the petrol version at present. Nice to see even some small cars (e.g. Suzuki Ignis) with 'soft' hybrid tech like regenerative breaking.
EV Drivers on 16:32 - Feb 6 with 1370 viewsLoyal

EV Drivers on 20:14 - Aug 23 by Jackfath

Is it quiet?

Only at night when everyone is sleeping.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

EV Drivers on 18:19 - Feb 6 with 1341 viewsCooperman

EV Drivers on 16:07 - Feb 6 by controversial_jack

A large proportion of homes in the Uk simply don't have offoad parking as many homes are terraced houses and also there are many flats and high rises.It won't be possible to charge at home because of this very reason

Read my post again and in particular the comments re market share.

EV will not be anywhere near 100% share in my lifetime.

However infrastructure can be introduced in many places that allows market share to increase beyond what it is today.

EV Drivers on 18:20 - Feb 6 with 1338 viewsCooperman

EV Drivers on 16:14 - Feb 6 by Professor

No doubt it is the future, but the cost, infrastructure and indeed the environmental costs to produce current batteries mean it is not really viable for me. The electric version of my car is well over double the petrol version at present. Nice to see even some small cars (e.g. Suzuki Ignis) with 'soft' hybrid tech like regenerative breaking.

A very good point re battery waste.

Just as the previous generation didn’t really consider what to do with nuclear waste, I worry about what to do with redundant battery products in years to come.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024