Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rodon 19:10 - Dec 22 with 4361 viewsdickythorpe

Time for a rest. Potter needs to help him.
Rodon on 01:02 - Dec 23 with 1048 viewsvalleyboy

Rodon on 00:41 - Dec 23 by jasper_T

Cheltenham Town not a professional side? Big Joe's on 32 games plus a few in the Checkatrade Trophy which is *technically* a senior tournament.

Oh my God

Comparing Cheltenham Town to any team in the Chamlionship

How dull can that be

If Man City are looking at him

Then he must have simething
Rodon on 01:10 - Dec 23 with 1040 viewsDJack

Rodon on 23:33 - Dec 22 by jasper_T

People have been saying it for a few weeks (and shouted down because "we're winning, mun"). On form he should have lost his place to CCV, and it would likely do him the world of good long term.

Rest, reflect, fight for your place again. It's a long season and there's plenty of games to go around.

Potter said at the start of the season that he doesn't want players afraid of making mistakes because they might get dropped but when it's a series of mistakes how does that effect the guys waiting in the wings? How does it prepare a player mentally for a career in competitive sport?

Agreed.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Rodon on 01:10 - Dec 23 with 1037 viewsjasper_T

Rodon on 01:02 - Dec 23 by valleyboy

Oh my God

Comparing Cheltenham Town to any team in the Chamlionship

How dull can that be

If Man City are looking at him

Then he must have simething

Who compared Cheltenham Town to a team in the Championship?

They are, however, a professional side so saying Rodon's played less than 25 professional games is incorrect.

The only credible Man City "interest" I recall was about two years ago. Unless we've seen some of their scouts around recently that little factoid is not a definitive marker of quality.
Rodon on 01:11 - Dec 23 with 1036 viewsDJack

Rodon on 23:52 - Dec 22 by sherpajacob

FFS , A month ago planet swans was in meltdown because he'd been left out of the Wales squad.

He is quality, anyone can see that, but he's yet to play 25 games of professional football.

If he had experienced players around him, it would be better for him, but we don't and that's not his fault.

Potentially he's our most valuable player.

Currently very much "potentially", Sherps.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Rodon on 01:12 - Dec 23 with 1029 viewssherpajacob

Rodon on 00:41 - Dec 23 by jasper_T

Cheltenham Town not a professional side? Big Joe's on 32 games plus a few in the Checkatrade Trophy which is *technically* a senior tournament.

Why don't we just sign the entire TNS squad, they are all professional with hundreds of games under their belt.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Rodon on 01:15 - Dec 23 with 1024 viewsjasper_T

Rodon on 01:12 - Dec 23 by sherpajacob

Why don't we just sign the entire TNS squad, they are all professional with hundreds of games under their belt.

I'm not one of the posters demanding more experience, ask them that question.

Ben Cabango's been doing alright for TNS, he's played less games than Joe.
Rodon on 08:05 - Dec 23 with 963 viewsTailGunner

Rodon on 23:12 - Dec 22 by Kilkennyjack

Totally disagree.

Joe is the most valuable player in the squad.

Joe will be a Champions League centre back.
He is very young for a centre back.

He lacks experiance, not quality.

Spot on with this. (Not too sure about the Champions League bit though)

Experience in that position is everything.
He's learning on the job, still needs to learn the dark arts - it will come.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2018 8:08]
Rodon on 10:01 - Dec 23 with 913 viewsItchySphincter

Rodon on 00:40 - Dec 23 by valleyboy

So take today

Was the centre halves responsible for the second goal or to some extent even the first

If you give the opposition the freedom of the park in midfield

Then you will be punished

Midfield is obviously a problem, has been for the last three or four seasons - I'm not in any way denying that but pretending we haven't got problems in defence, particularly at centre half is just burying your head in the sand.

The boy is cooked and to me it looks like he's starting to struggle mentally, and all whilst we have a reasonable experienced replacement getting splinters in his arse. I'm not saying CCV is a better player in the long term but he's a better option at the moment. We're losing games home games like Ipswich, Norwich, WBA making the same mistakes over and over again.

We can't defend set pieces, corners, whatever. Maybe it's the system of zonal marking but if it is, we haven't got the players to play it. Look how many times have the opposition put a cross into the six yard box that we simply can't defend, time and time again, to the point that when the opposition get a corner at the Liberty you feel they're going to score, everytime.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Rodon on 10:11 - Dec 23 with 898 viewsCooperman

Rodon on 10:01 - Dec 23 by ItchySphincter

Midfield is obviously a problem, has been for the last three or four seasons - I'm not in any way denying that but pretending we haven't got problems in defence, particularly at centre half is just burying your head in the sand.

The boy is cooked and to me it looks like he's starting to struggle mentally, and all whilst we have a reasonable experienced replacement getting splinters in his arse. I'm not saying CCV is a better player in the long term but he's a better option at the moment. We're losing games home games like Ipswich, Norwich, WBA making the same mistakes over and over again.

We can't defend set pieces, corners, whatever. Maybe it's the system of zonal marking but if it is, we haven't got the players to play it. Look how many times have the opposition put a cross into the six yard box that we simply can't defend, time and time again, to the point that when the opposition get a corner at the Liberty you feel they're going to score, everytime.

Two other defensive issues stand out for me - zonal marking and height.

Both cause issues at set pieces.

Only one of those can be addressed quickly.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Rodon on 10:36 - Dec 23 with 882 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Joe was not given any support yesterday, any decent manager will recognise when a player is struggling and give him some help, instead of that both John and Dyer were nowhere to be seen defensively.
When James or Montero are rippeng defenders a new one the first thing the opposition do is double or treble up on them, Joe was hung out to dry all game.
Mr Potter said the youngsters should not be playing 90 minutes every week as it is not good for them and then does just that, no wonder Joe is suffering burn out.
Rodon on 10:52 - Dec 23 with 881 viewsEbo

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned but, keepers - penalty save aside, we haven't got a commanding keeper have we? That goal yesterday was a shining example of not commanding your defenders. No communication and I think Mulder could have done better for that lob too.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Rodon on 11:21 - Dec 23 with 846 viewsTailGunner

Rodon on 10:52 - Dec 23 by Ebo

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned but, keepers - penalty save aside, we haven't got a commanding keeper have we? That goal yesterday was a shining example of not commanding your defenders. No communication and I think Mulder could have done better for that lob too.

Alarming that goal keeps happening.

Elphick was miles out. He has to retreat to his line straight away. Simple catch.
Really poor goalkeeping.

That aside he had a fine game in fairness
Rodon on 12:51 - Dec 23 with 805 viewsLeonWasGod

I think the lad’s doing great. He’s in his first full season for us, has had 4 different left backs play next to him, and is in a young side. It’d be nice if we had the sort of experience we had with Ash and Monks ehen we went up last, but we don’t.
Rodon on 13:31 - Dec 23 with 787 viewsoldcob

I think we need a couple or three nasty guys in the team, who, instead of saying "There there, never mind" and ruffling his hair when he makes an error. maybe he'd learn more quickly if someone ripped him a new one.
Rodon on 13:55 - Dec 23 with 774 viewsjackeinstein

Maybe we all need to calm down a bit the lad has made a couple of bad errors in recent games but has also done very well for us this season. Jo will make a good championship centre half and who knows with a bit of luck could maybe play premiership football, I think we need to be a bit more even handed over the assessment of our own players whether that be good or bad, those that have rated Jo as a champions league player maybe a bit premature but also those who’d have him replaced by Carter Vickers need to maybe slow down a bit as well.
We seem very quick to chuck our own players under the bus when they have a few off games, the likes of Dan James, Oli Mcburnie, Connor Roberts are all works in progress none are by any means the finished article but they are 100% our players
Rodon on 14:12 - Dec 23 with 766 views34dfgdf54

Rodon on 13:55 - Dec 23 by jackeinstein

Maybe we all need to calm down a bit the lad has made a couple of bad errors in recent games but has also done very well for us this season. Jo will make a good championship centre half and who knows with a bit of luck could maybe play premiership football, I think we need to be a bit more even handed over the assessment of our own players whether that be good or bad, those that have rated Jo as a champions league player maybe a bit premature but also those who’d have him replaced by Carter Vickers need to maybe slow down a bit as well.
We seem very quick to chuck our own players under the bus when they have a few off games, the likes of Dan James, Oli Mcburnie, Connor Roberts are all works in progress none are by any means the finished article but they are 100% our players

Agree with what you’re saying, but having a rest could do him good. Take him out of the firing line. He’s been thrown in the deep end and needs some time to recharge the batteries.

I’d be doing the same with Roberts, but to be putting him on check, his ego is running away from him you can tell by his demeanour when playing.
Rodon on 14:23 - Dec 23 with 752 viewsjackeinstein

Rodon on 14:12 - Dec 23 by 34dfgdf54

Agree with what you’re saying, but having a rest could do him good. Take him out of the firing line. He’s been thrown in the deep end and needs some time to recharge the batteries.

I’d be doing the same with Roberts, but to be putting him on check, his ego is running away from him you can tell by his demeanour when playing.

I don’t disagree with the fact he probably needs a rest,at times I can’t fathom out Potters selection process when he changes a winning side seemingly just for the sake of it.
Connor Roberts for me has been maybe slightly misused this season he is a good improving full back he’s never a winger and never looks comfortable there as for his attitude maybe the spell with the national team has made him a confident young man
Rodon on 14:52 - Dec 23 with 731 viewsicecoldjack

Rodon on 10:01 - Dec 23 by ItchySphincter

Agree.

Potter is rotating almost everything apart from the 2 players that mentally look like they need it the most, Roberts and Rodon.

Both are getting increasingly sloppy and to couple that we have this gung ho attitude that now often sees VDH as one of our furthest forward players when we break away! That's obviously a potter thing but some times a bit of cool heads is the better option.

To help the young players develop I feel it's sometimes better to drop them out and keep them chomping at the bit. CCV is a more basic defender and I feel we need a bit of that right now, it's all teething problems that pretty much most of us expected once 16 players moved on and we yet again didn't sign what was needed .
Rodon on 14:55 - Dec 23 with 730 viewsjasper_T

Rodon on 14:52 - Dec 23 by icecoldjack

Agree.

Potter is rotating almost everything apart from the 2 players that mentally look like they need it the most, Roberts and Rodon.

Both are getting increasingly sloppy and to couple that we have this gung ho attitude that now often sees VDH as one of our furthest forward players when we break away! That's obviously a potter thing but some times a bit of cool heads is the better option.

To help the young players develop I feel it's sometimes better to drop them out and keep them chomping at the bit. CCV is a more basic defender and I feel we need a bit of that right now, it's all teething problems that pretty much most of us expected once 16 players moved on and we yet again didn't sign what was needed .

vdH had one mad charge upfield on the counter, and there were plenty of players covering back. Hardly often.
Rodon on 15:07 - Dec 23 with 723 viewsrockinjk

Nope, keep playing the youngsters.

I would say get more in, no big spending.

Build.
Rodon on 15:18 - Dec 23 with 719 viewsjackrmee

Rodon on 13:31 - Dec 23 by oldcob

I think we need a couple or three nasty guys in the team, who, instead of saying "There there, never mind" and ruffling his hair when he makes an error. maybe he'd learn more quickly if someone ripped him a new one.

Potter doesn't want players to be worried to make mistakes. That's the whole point of his work and therefore does not want players shouting at eachother at all.

The errors we are making are not small. Almost every one has been a massive error. The player knows exactly when that happens and they will punish themselves inside. I'm sure GP and his team go through individual mistakes and explain ways to improve.
I don't believe in chastising Roy Keane style.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Rodon on 15:40 - Dec 23 with 699 viewsItchySphincter

Rodon on 13:55 - Dec 23 by jackeinstein

No, the boy needs a spell out for his own sake. That is exactly why we have a squad. If Fernandez or anyone else for that matter had performed at the level he has recently they would be slaughtered on here. I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t start the next game.

Rodon on 15:46 - Dec 23 with 685 viewsItchySphincter

Rodon on 15:07 - Dec 23 by rockinjk

Nope, keep playing the youngsters.

I would say get more in, no big spending.

Build.

Yes, but don't ruin then with the weight of expectation either.

Rodon on 15:48 - Dec 23 with 681 views34dfgdf54

Rodon on 15:46 - Dec 23 by ItchySphincter

Yes, but don't ruin then with the weight of expectation either.

Thank you!

Spot on.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2018 15:49]
Rodon on 22:06 - Dec 23 with 616 viewsBadlands

No team at this level should be relying on 20 / 21 year olds to playa full season in their first season.
How does need. a rest - he's been fantastic and a few weeks away from his incredible burden would do him the world of good.
I also think it's about time Hoorn had a senior partner to share some defensive responsibility.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024