Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire 17:35 - Aug 7 with 3781 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55400/swansea-city-suici

Match report above
Twitter below

This post has been edited by an administrator
Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire on 13:53 - Aug 8 with 724 viewsNotLoyal

Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire on 12:49 - Aug 8 by ValeJack

Bit sloppy, yes. Patience and optimism needed. Not a scathing attack on a style of play that has been worked on for three days. Ridiculous to be so negative after one game.

It was just a view on the game itself, not overall, that's how I read it.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire on 14:03 - Aug 8 with 690 viewsDJack

Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire on 11:57 - Aug 8 by NotLoyal

I don't think it was as bad as the report suggests, but surely players at this level are capable of passing a football regardless of the tactics?

I think it was because they were trying to be more expansive and also trying to be much quicker passing the ball at the cost of accuracy.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire on 14:22 - Aug 8 with 672 viewsjacksfullaces

A day of fun and mainly non surprises.

Good to be back on an away day with my family, and amongst the fans, in good voice as anticipated, a few had 18 months of something to let out, no surprise there.

Good to politely clap the boys take the knee in person, assuming 99.9% are doing it as an anti racism gesture and I'm more than comfortable in acknowledging that positively, sadly not a surprise that not all seem to feel that way.

Good to see a game of football and an effort to employ new tactics, no surprise to see it exposing huge limitations in the squad skillset, and perhaps a little bit of naivity on the part of the players in where/when to employ. Also no surprise that the mistakes were met with little sympathy from a number of fans, suspect that number might grow if results don't come. Will Cooperball be fondly remembered by Xmas if the points don't come. Unforgiving bunch are football fans.

I was surprised that not more turned up to watch, we didn't sell out our allocation, but the locals were very conspicous by their absence. A covid hotspot up there as I recall, maybe they all have long covid!

Post covid tiki taka it is then, suspect there may be a few more lows than highs this season, but the law of averages tends to say that will be the case for a mid table championship squad, whatever their style of football.
Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire on 22:54 - Aug 9 with 504 viewsRock

Worst display in years is hyperbolic, to say the least. I would suggest re-watching the match and that will become evident.

Football is a game of fine margins. Blackburn could have scored a few more, to be sure, but we could have as well and it would have changed the complexion of the game. In particular, if Cullen exhibited a little bit more ruthlessness in front of goal we would have been 1-0 up after 15 minutes when Cabango’s excellent through ball split the Rovers defence and left him one-on-one with the keeper. Luckily for Blackburn, Kaminski was quick to it and made an excellent save to deny us an early advantage away from home. Cullen slides that in and it is a different game, pressure placed on the opposition and their fans getting on them with every missed opportunity. Football works both ways in that manner, a decision or two plays out a little differently and it’s a complete 180 in terms of what you are seeing.

Grimes and Smith hid a lot, which was disappointing but not surprising given their limitations on the ball. It is a bit worrying, however, considering they are very experienced at this level and Martin’s system depends on the No 6 dropping deep between the centre-backs and being the playmaker, controlling the tempo and instigating attacks confidently while under pressure. They were also culpable several times caught out of position further forward as Blackburn were breaking in transition, and they didn’t exactly bust a gut to track back and break up the play.

More than anything it is apparent our starting midfield will need to be improved, and I believe Walsh and Downes will go some ways to filling that void. Lowe needs to be stronger holding the ball up and stay on his feet more, and Cullen has to offer more off the ball and finish his big chances or they will soon find themselves on the outside looking in, as well. Martin’s setup can afford mistakes but it cannot carry passengers.

Blackburn may have been a few players down but so were we. We were without several of our best returning players along with most of our exciting new signings for various reasons and yet more new signings still to come. The team and players we saw on the pitch will look markedly different by the end of the season, that is guaranteed. All in all, we made a lot of mistakes and many of our players looked rather confused in certain situations in our own half and clearly were thinking out loud as to what their next move was supposed to be.

That is to be expected when a new manager comes in with less than a week to train and implement a completely different style of play. Martin is an excellent coach with a clear style of play and sophisticated tactical principles that he won’t relent on, no matter the opposition or calls from the stands or media. Everything he stands for is what we as a club stand for, qualities that we have gotten far away from recently, and we are lucky to have him as our manager. John Eustace, of all people, turned us down, which is honestly a stroke of good fortune that will appear even better in hindsight and will pay immense dividends as time passes.

As Martin has more time on the training ground to ingrain his ideas and patterns of play in our players we will see the true return of the Swansea Way, and possibly see levels of football we haven’t even seen before. This game was the initial and crucial step in doing things his way, making and identifying the mistakes and what clearly needs to be worked on first and foremost, and continuing to develop and grow as a team as more and more sophistication is brought to our tactics.
Swansea City suicide mission in Lancashire on 23:24 - Aug 9 with 468 viewsAndyCole

Ominously, 2nd half after Blackburn were in total control and eased off, our best player was asked to drop way deeper than our CBs to wrest some vestige of control from the (highly unusual and out of character)mayhem in our defensive third.

Our recent high achievements have been founded on a controlled, efficient and highly effective defensive platform.

Let's hope Martin cleverly builds upon and enhances that platform of achievement. Benda is an improvement. Our backline needs to be true to itself.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024