Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimes 22:20 - Aug 17 with 3385 viewsGeoffThom

Please please please somebody sign him
Grimes on 20:59 - Aug 18 with 727 viewsploppy

Grimes on 20:05 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Fulton is just as one-footed as Grimes. He's like Routledge - got a right foot and the outside of his right foot.

Yes but he's not playing in a pivotal position where two feet would be a real advantage.
Grimes on 21:08 - Aug 18 with 712 viewsjasper_T

Grimes on 20:59 - Aug 18 by ploppy

Yes but he's not playing in a pivotal position where two feet would be a real advantage.

He's not. Cooper tried it a few times. Didn't last.
Grimes on 21:52 - Aug 18 with 676 viewsploppy

Grimes on 21:08 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

He's not. Cooper tried it a few times. Didn't last.

I was one of Fulton's biggest critics a few years ago when he'd constantly hide from the ball. I think he's improved a lot since then but I wouldn't have him in the role Grimes plays. But I wouldn't have Grimes in the role Grimes plays either. And I'd also take the captaincy off him. And I wouldn't let him anywhere near a corner kick or a free kick around the box - has he ever hit the target with a free kick (he's as bad as Ronaldo in that respect)?
Grimes on 22:20 - Aug 18 with 649 viewsCatullus

Grimes on 19:26 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

It been a problem for us for a couple of years that no one else in midfield goes looking for the ball. Grimes receives the amount of stick as he does because it's been on him to do everything - he's the screen for the midfield and the primary dictator of our possession play. He's then expected to score and assist regularly too.

Fulton and Smith hide. Hourihane's legs couldn't keep up with the game. Downes, Walsh and Williams have all looked promising in their ability to get on the ball and use it effectively. It's very easy to pen us in when there's nowhere for our defenders to play a pass other than Grimes or back to the goalkeeper.

Would be nice if the wingbacks weren't out of sight down the other end of the pitch. Can't play effective possession football without options for the player on the ball.

Grimes can't do everything. He's either our playmaker or a defensive midfielder. Even if he's the CDM he shouldn't be the last man covering other defenders, we don't see all 3 of our CB's rushing forward, I don't remember any of them getting that far forward in open play actually so why would Grimes be last man?

He comes so deep, so close to the CB that there's no room, caught in possession with no out ball and it causes us problems, the space in midefield where he should be is vacant. The forwards close down quickly, as Stoke did, and we were constantly under pressure we ourselves helped to create.

The wing backs were so far forward he couldn't see them but Cabango wasn't passing to Latty anyway, maybe because he has trouble staying onside? It'll be different with Laird there, hopefully.
The biggest isse has been the lack of movement, when in possession we all too often had no one to pass to, they were stood around ball watching, that's where the work is needed.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Grimes on 22:47 - Aug 18 with 636 viewsploppy

Grimes on 22:20 - Aug 18 by Catullus

Grimes can't do everything. He's either our playmaker or a defensive midfielder. Even if he's the CDM he shouldn't be the last man covering other defenders, we don't see all 3 of our CB's rushing forward, I don't remember any of them getting that far forward in open play actually so why would Grimes be last man?

He comes so deep, so close to the CB that there's no room, caught in possession with no out ball and it causes us problems, the space in midefield where he should be is vacant. The forwards close down quickly, as Stoke did, and we were constantly under pressure we ourselves helped to create.

The wing backs were so far forward he couldn't see them but Cabango wasn't passing to Latty anyway, maybe because he has trouble staying onside? It'll be different with Laird there, hopefully.
The biggest isse has been the lack of movement, when in possession we all too often had no one to pass to, they were stood around ball watching, that's where the work is needed.

What we're sadly lacking is a player, or players, that play between the lines. I suppose the nearest we've come to that was Byers - but invariably, when he got the ball in those positions he'd pass it backwards. It's been a while (probably not since Laudrup), but we used to pass the ball around quickly, moving the opposition around, so that eventually there'd be a simple pass into someone in space in between the lines. It looked so easy back then.
Grimes on 13:59 - Aug 19 with 544 viewsTreforys_Jack

Grimes on 19:26 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

It been a problem for us for a couple of years that no one else in midfield goes looking for the ball. Grimes receives the amount of stick as he does because it's been on him to do everything - he's the screen for the midfield and the primary dictator of our possession play. He's then expected to score and assist regularly too.

Fulton and Smith hide. Hourihane's legs couldn't keep up with the game. Downes, Walsh and Williams have all looked promising in their ability to get on the ball and use it effectively. It's very easy to pen us in when there's nowhere for our defenders to play a pass other than Grimes or back to the goalkeeper.

Would be nice if the wingbacks weren't out of sight down the other end of the pitch. Can't play effective possession football without options for the player on the ball.

Nail firmly struck on the head.
Grimes on 14:07 - Aug 19 with 537 viewsonehunglow

Grimes on 22:20 - Aug 18 by Catullus

Grimes can't
1.take a corner
2.Free kick
3.Captain.
4.Tackle
5.Pass accurately in a forward motion.

Not really much less he couldnt do

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Grimes on 14:14 - Aug 19 with 528 viewsploppy

Grimes on 14:07 - Aug 19 by onehunglow

Grimes can't
1.take a corner
2.Free kick
3.Captain.
4.Tackle
5.Pass accurately in a forward motion.

Not really much less he couldnt do

In his defence (and I don't rate him), he does his fair share of tackling. Although, when he needed to make a tactical foul against Barnsley at home in the playoffs, he failed and Barnsley went on to score. And in the final, he could easily have been sent off early on for a reckless challenge. So maybe he can't tackle after all! The rest I totally agree with. If anything good came of Hourihane's time here (and there wasn't much) it was that he took free kicks and corners and kept Grimes away from the ball.
Login to get fewer ads

Grimes on 14:25 - Aug 19 with 519 viewsonehunglow

Grimes on 14:14 - Aug 19 by ploppy

In his defence (and I don't rate him), he does his fair share of tackling. Although, when he needed to make a tactical foul against Barnsley at home in the playoffs, he failed and Barnsley went on to score. And in the final, he could easily have been sent off early on for a reckless challenge. So maybe he can't tackle after all! The rest I totally agree with. If anything good came of Hourihane's time here (and there wasn't much) it was that he took free kicks and corners and kept Grimes away from the ball.

Mate,he has poor tackling technique fo one seen a a "great" player for us. He IS reckless and could well have had a red this season already.

Is he an inspiration to those around him? Hardly.

It is so utterly obvious,or should be.

I hope and pray somebody is dumb enough to buy him and Downers takes over. I see him as a future captain. He can take control and has bottle .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Grimes on 14:31 - Aug 19 with 515 viewsploppy

Grimes on 14:25 - Aug 19 by onehunglow

Mate,he has poor tackling technique fo one seen a a "great" player for us. He IS reckless and could well have had a red this season already.

Is he an inspiration to those around him? Hardly.

It is so utterly obvious,or should be.

I hope and pray somebody is dumb enough to buy him and Downers takes over. I see him as a future captain. He can take control and has bottle .

Well, I for one don't think he's great for us - I think there's a few of us. TBH I haven't watched his tackling technique - I will from now on. If I had to guess, he always tackles with his left foot, which, for someone playing centrally, 50% of the time is going to be the wrong foot - I have no evidence for this yet, it's just a hunch. No doubt, Jasper will be along shortly to give us Grimes's tackling stats.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024