Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is our defensive game worse than last season? 11:19 - Oct 4 with 1976 viewsmikecph

Last season we seemed to have the ability to keep up a good defensive game when going up against stronger teams and sometimes even use that as a base to play some effective counter attacking football or edge home a narrow draw or win against those big teams. But this season we seem a lot more shaky when trying to play defensively and opponents have been able to get that late game goal.

Why do you guys think that is? I mean on paper our defense should be at least as good as last season (Taylor back, Davies keeps improving, Amat better backup) and I think we also have better defensive midfielders overall than last year. Pure bad luck? Have the opponents "figured us out"? Lack of concentration? What's up?

This leads me to a second question - should we abandon our defensive stance and just play that beautiful attacking football that we all know we can play as we seem to be able to go toe to toe with almost any team playing this way?

Is our defensive game worse than last season? on 11:50 - Oct 4 with 1939 viewsWhiterockin

Last season Ash rarely missed a match. This season we are playing more matches and our defensive line up has been stretched. Yes we look suspect when 50% of our best defensive starting line up is missing.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2013 11:51]

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Is our defensive game worse than last season? on 11:51 - Oct 4 with 1933 viewsDaithejack

Last year we had pretty much a settled team, we were lucky with injuries Taylor apart and we did'nt have the options we have now so there was less rotation, I like Canas as a player and I think hes just going to get better but for me Leon is still one of if the most important players we have along with Michu and should be starting as often as possible. So I think its just a matter of bedding in the new players and this will come with time. As for our defensive stance? when you consider how hard our start has been in the league to be joint 4th top scorers and with out checking probably the top scorers in the Europa league I dont think we are doing to bad going forward do you?

Poll: Shelvey's Goal, Best Swans goal ever?

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:51 - Oct 4 with 1922 viewsDaithejack

Sorry double post! F#%ing I phone.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2013 11:53]

Is our defensive game worse than last season? on 12:32 - Oct 4 with 1865 viewsmikecph

Is our defensive game worse than last season? on 11:51 - Oct 4 by Daithejack

Last year we had pretty much a settled team, we were lucky with injuries Taylor apart and we did'nt have the options we have now so there was less rotation, I like Canas as a player and I think hes just going to get better but for me Leon is still one of if the most important players we have along with Michu and should be starting as often as possible. So I think its just a matter of bedding in the new players and this will come with time. As for our defensive stance? when you consider how hard our start has been in the league to be joint 4th top scorers and with out checking probably the top scorers in the Europa league I dont think we are doing to bad going forward do you?

I think we are doing great at this point in the season looking at the fixtures we've played. Right on track so far. But that wasn't my point. Last season we were kind of "over-achieving" because we had that ability to scrape home those narrow draws and even wins on our defensive play. So far we haven't been able to do the same this season - which is far from saying that we have done bad to lose those games. Would just have been nice to "over-achieve" on occassion
Is our defensive game worse than last season? on 12:42 - Oct 4 with 1841 viewsDaithejack

Lets see where we are after the next six games as a say I think its just a case of the new players finding there feet and playing in Europe is obviously a big distraction but dont worry we'll be fine.

Is our defensive game worse than last season? on 12:47 - Oct 4 with 1829 viewsmonmouth

I don't see any real difference. We've been totally sound against Palarse and WBA, shutting them out of the game and cutting them wide open a number of times. Spurs needed a ridiculous dive to edge past us, Arse had a fabulous 15 minutes which would have destroyed anyone, ManU had Percy; Liverpool had Shelvey (defence); and we had Shelvey (attack). In the european games we have devastated three of the four teams we've played.

Nope. Non-issue imo.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2013 12:48]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Is our defensive game worse than last season? on 13:02 - Oct 4 with 1799 viewsJonathans_coat

Ash and Rangel are big misses, defence looks nowhere near as organised and solid without them. Not surprising really as they are captain and effectively vice captain! They are both talkers on the pitch and command the rest of the defensive unit. As good as Chico is, he is a little wild and nobody can understand what he is saying anyway!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024