Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry wants it then 17:37 - Mar 30 with 10589 viewsDarran

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11731/9240830/premier-league-swansea-man

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry wants it then on 14:50 - Apr 2 with 1069 viewsUxbridge

Garry wants it then on 14:38 - Apr 2 by monmouth

I've got no axe to grind but results aren't worse are they ux? 24 points from 24 games ML; 9 from 7 GM? so much of a muchness so far. Ironically I thought in the last two successful games we adopted some 'Laudrupism' with a much less fraught first half which maybe gave us more puff for the second half, and a defensive mindset at the big team's gaff with less width and full backs getting forward into the space. Previously under Monk it seemed more like the full Brendinez.

Frankly I've stopped caring about who's manager. It's russian roullette anyway. GM is fine in my book if he consistently gets the points accumulating and the players are motivated and settled. The question of whether he can take us beyond our current boundaries clearly remains uncertainand open to opinion, but whetever happens I hope there's a solid immediate succession plan in place, because if the points and performances stop coming he doesn't have a cats chance in hell of dodging all the bullets that will be coming his way, and it's then that experience and proven competence counts.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 14:40]

2 wins out of 10 games is it? Out of both cup competitions (ok we weren't favourites, but both winnable). I find it hard to believe Laudrup would have managed less. The Europa loss still annoys me, although that was one defeat I'd put down to rank bad lack than anything else. I can go either way on the results thing ... I certainly don't see there's been an improvement on that score though.

But aye, it's all around the margins for this season. We weren't going down before and we don't look any more or less likely to do so now. The bigger picture is this summer and next season as you say, and it'll be interesting to see what the plan for that is.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Garry wants it then on 19:35 - Apr 2 with 1008 viewsMattG

Garry wants it then on 14:50 - Apr 2 by Uxbridge

2 wins out of 10 games is it? Out of both cup competitions (ok we weren't favourites, but both winnable). I find it hard to believe Laudrup would have managed less. The Europa loss still annoys me, although that was one defeat I'd put down to rank bad lack than anything else. I can go either way on the results thing ... I certainly don't see there's been an improvement on that score though.

But aye, it's all around the margins for this season. We weren't going down before and we don't look any more or less likely to do so now. The bigger picture is this summer and next season as you say, and it'll be interesting to see what the plan for that is.

I think you need to define "winnable" for me.

Everton away, a team we've beaten once in 4 PL matches could maybe be classed as that but Napoli? Really? Over two legs? OK, we were still well in the game over there but only because of the excellent performance at home in the first leg.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 19:35]
Garry wants it then on 20:10 - Apr 2 with 985 viewsmonmouth

Also in laudrup's first 7 league games last season we only got 8 points. We also beat Barnsley and Crawley in the CO cup with two rather unconvincing performances of course, as opposed to outplaying Napoli and a narrow loss to Everton. Results are simply not the issue here.......yet.

I'm not pro or anti but the arguments need to be transparent. It just seems to come down to whether a person believes that a rookie manager is worth a risk. The board can make a case either way in my view assuming the trend of points remains the same. Hindsight will be a wonderful thing here I suspect, whichever way they jump.

It would probably be too much risk for my taste at this stage without some sort of serious contingency plan, but I haven't changed my opinion that I think the board will just go for it, as I'm not sure what other options would exist in terms of roles for GM if they didn't now he's had a taste of the top job. For all we know GM may turn out to be our best ever manager.....or not......but we may well be going to get the chance to find out.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Garry wants it then on 20:20 - Apr 2 with 970 viewsDr_Winston

Garry wants it then on 20:10 - Apr 2 by monmouth

Also in laudrup's first 7 league games last season we only got 8 points. We also beat Barnsley and Crawley in the CO cup with two rather unconvincing performances of course, as opposed to outplaying Napoli and a narrow loss to Everton. Results are simply not the issue here.......yet.

I'm not pro or anti but the arguments need to be transparent. It just seems to come down to whether a person believes that a rookie manager is worth a risk. The board can make a case either way in my view assuming the trend of points remains the same. Hindsight will be a wonderful thing here I suspect, whichever way they jump.

It would probably be too much risk for my taste at this stage without some sort of serious contingency plan, but I haven't changed my opinion that I think the board will just go for it, as I'm not sure what other options would exist in terms of roles for GM if they didn't now he's had a taste of the top job. For all we know GM may turn out to be our best ever manager.....or not......but we may well be going to get the chance to find out.

Huw wants to appoint Monk. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry wants it then on 20:27 - Apr 2 with 957 viewsOldjack

Garry wants it then on 20:20 - Apr 2 by Dr_Winston

If Huw & co plus the players want him who are we too argue

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Garry wants it then on 20:28 - Apr 2 with 950 viewsDr_Winston

Garry wants it then on 20:27 - Apr 2 by Oldjack

If Huw & co plus the players want him who are we too argue

We are the people without whom the club probably wouldn't exist. We have every right to argue, or at least express our concern (if indeed you are concerned).

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry wants it then on 20:32 - Apr 2 with 941 viewsMattG

Garry wants it then on 20:20 - Apr 2 by Dr_Winston

No problem with that as long as it's for the right reasons, i.e. that Huw genuinely sees Monk as the right man for the job, and not just because he's a cheap option.
Garry wants it then on 20:34 - Apr 2 with 939 viewsOldjack

Garry wants it then on 20:28 - Apr 2 by Dr_Winston

We are the people without whom the club probably wouldn't exist. We have every right to argue, or at least express our concern (if indeed you are concerned).

I'm happy with Monks, there's been a big improvement around since he took the helm or haven't you noticed

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Login to get fewer ads

Garry wants it then on 22:48 - Apr 2 with 902 viewsUxbridge

Garry wants it then on 19:35 - Apr 2 by MattG

Everton away, a team we've beaten once in 4 PL matches could maybe be classed as that but Napoli? Really? Over two legs? OK, we were still well in the game over there but only because of the excellent performance at home in the first leg.

Napoli wasnt winnable? Did you watch the games?

Garry wants it then on 22:51 - Apr 2 with 896 viewsUxbridge

Garry wants it then on 20:32 - Apr 2 by MattG

No problem with that as long as it's for the right reasons, i.e. that Huw genuinely sees Monk as the right man for the job, and not just because he's a cheap option.

Seen this a few times from a few people. Does anyone really think the choice of manager is being decided by cost? If they're happy to spunk a few million on ditching Laudrup they'll spend to replace him and back the newbie.

Garry wants it then on 23:07 - Apr 2 with 874 viewsLiberty

I think they will back Monk, cheap -tick, yes man -tick. Do we need to sign anyone - not really, unless an exodus, which I doubt. Players earning more now than ever.

Players are his mates so could work for 12 months, maybe more. The squad has been built and looks good.

Would love to see what players we attract in future, Monk will be manager next season.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Garry wants it then on 05:45 - Apr 3 with 853 viewsApeShit

Garry wants it then on 23:07 - Apr 2 by Liberty

I think they will back Monk, cheap -tick, yes man -tick. Do we need to sign anyone - not really, unless an exodus, which I doubt. Players earning more now than ever.

Players are his mates so could work for 12 months, maybe more. The squad has been built and looks good.

Would love to see what players we attract in future, Monk will be manager next season.

We need at least 3 or 4 signings before next season
Garry wants it then on 06:41 - Apr 3 with 838 viewsDr_Winston

The idea that Monk is first choice because he'll be a "yes man" is a classic example of complete boll*cks being repeated often enough to become established fact. If Monk was that much of a yes man then Emnes would be starting every game.

Perhaps he (and the likes of Rodgers and Martinez) is just easier to work with than an ex-pro with a global reputation who's taken umbrage at a little criticism of his methods and his mate being given the Spanish Archer?

Garry wants it then on 06:59 - Apr 3 with 828 viewsMattG

Garry wants it then on 22:48 - Apr 2 by Uxbridge

Napoli wasnt winnable? Did you watch the games?

Of course I watched them and, in hindsight and because of our excellent performances, the tie was winnable up until Napoli scored their third goal in the second leg. However, before the first leg, were you genuinely confident about progressing? That's what defines a winnable game for me.

If you want to define whether or not a game was winnable by the way it actually panned out then, by that logic, you would have to say that the game against WBA, for example, wasn't which is patently nonsense.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2014 7:00]
Garry wants it then on 09:28 - Apr 3 with 782 viewsUxbridge

Garry wants it then on 06:59 - Apr 3 by MattG

Of course I watched them and, in hindsight and because of our excellent performances, the tie was winnable up until Napoli scored their third goal in the second leg. However, before the first leg, were you genuinely confident about progressing? That's what defines a winnable game for me.

If you want to define whether or not a game was winnable by the way it actually panned out then, by that logic, you would have to say that the game against WBA, for example, wasn't which is patently nonsense.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2014 7:00]

Arf. Super logic there.

So Napoli wasn't winnable? A team that lost to Arsenal, a team we've beaten twice in the Premier League, wasn't winnable? Aye, you'll have to define what winnable means.

Garry wants it then on 09:42 - Apr 3 with 769 viewsDarran

I'd have thought every game is winnable.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry wants it then on 09:45 - Apr 3 with 761 viewsmonmouth

Garry wants it then on 09:42 - Apr 3 by Darran

I'd have thought every game is winnable.

Exactly what I was going to post.

Some are more winnable than others mind. I'm glad we played Bradford at Wembley rather than Man City, although both are winnable.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2014 9:45]

Garry wants it then on 09:50 - Apr 3 with 748 viewsUxbridge

Garry wants it then on 09:45 - Apr 3 by monmouth

Exactly what I was going to post.

Some are more winnable than others mind. I'm glad we played Bradford at Wembley rather than Man City, although both are winnable.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2014 9:45]

Aye, for us I'd say that's true enough. I certainly never go into a Swans game thinking we can't win it ... well, apart from Ciddeh away, and even then I changed my mind during the first half.

Garry wants it then on 09:56 - Apr 3 with 743 viewsmonmouth

Garry wants it then on 09:50 - Apr 3 by Uxbridge

Aye, for us I'd say that's true enough. I certainly never go into a Swans game thinking we can't win it ... well, apart from Ciddeh away, and even then I changed my mind during the first half.

We should have won there last season. We will win there next season......

Garry wants it then on 10:12 - Apr 3 with 735 viewsStarsky

Garry wants it then on 19:35 - Apr 2 by MattG

We've never beaten Everton in our 101 year history.

It's just the internet, init.

Garry wants it then on 10:14 - Apr 3 with 726 viewsJonTheJack

I will be seriously concerned if Garry get the job full time. He is nowhere near ready.
Garry wants it then on 13:01 - Apr 3 with 697 viewsMattG

Garry wants it then on 09:28 - Apr 3 by Uxbridge

Arf. Super logic there.

So Napoli wasn't winnable? A team that lost to Arsenal, a team we've beaten twice in the Premier League, wasn't winnable? Aye, you'll have to define what winnable means.

Goalposts nicely moved - fair play.

Going back to your initial post, I read it as you suggesting that the Napoli and Everton games were ones we should have been expecting beforehand to win and the fact that we didn't was a black mark against Monk.

If you are saying that we could (should?) have won both because of how we performed then I'll agree with that but the good performances that gave us a chance of winning surely have to be due, at least in part, to Monk.

And yes, of course the West Brom game was winnable - my point was that you had apparently classed Napoli and Everton as winnable based on our performance on the day(s). Using the same "logic" would mean that the West Brom game would be less winnable.
Garry wants it then on 15:09 - Apr 3 with 673 viewsA_Fans_Dad

If the team, under GM, continue to play at the current high level for the rest of the season and stay in the Prem I am not sure how a new Manager coming in to the club is going to improve on that level of performance.
It is possible that they could get better quality players than GM, but that would be down to the Club to sort out.
The turmoil of a new Manager wanting the team to play "his way" could wreck the work done by the previous managers and disrupt the teams performances for a considerable period of time. Are there really good managers out there who would be prepared to come to Swansea without wanting to stamp his own methods on the club?
Garry wants it then on 15:15 - Apr 3 with 667 viewsUxbridge

Garry wants it then on 13:01 - Apr 3 by MattG

Goalposts nicely moved - fair play.

Going back to your initial post, I read it as you suggesting that the Napoli and Everton games were ones we should have been expecting beforehand to win and the fact that we didn't was a black mark against Monk.

If you are saying that we could (should?) have won both because of how we performed then I'll agree with that but the good performances that gave us a chance of winning surely have to be due, at least in part, to Monk.

And yes, of course the West Brom game was winnable - my point was that you had apparently classed Napoli and Everton as winnable based on our performance on the day(s). Using the same "logic" would mean that the West Brom game would be less winnable.

Yeah, I'm still not getting it. Never mind.

We've got a pretty good squad these days, and I'd fancy our chances against anyone.

Garry wants it then on 15:28 - Apr 3 with 648 viewsMattG

Garry wants it then on 15:15 - Apr 3 by Uxbridge

Yeah, I'm still not getting it. Never mind.

We've got a pretty good squad these days, and I'd fancy our chances against anyone.

I'd agree with that.

I'd also agree with Darren that every game is winnable.

But there's still (IMO anyway) a difference between a game we could win and a game we should win.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2014 15:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024