Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football post. I ll try one 09:54 - Sep 3 with 2261 viewsperchrockjack

Has sky enhanced football in this country or has its money simply gone to players/agents and made the game top heavy.
To me, those in the Conference have a massive job getting back to the "big" time" and for any club to come through is truly incredible.
Fleetwood and Morecombe are ,maybe, real clubs with real fans unlike many.
They have monster clubs within an hours drive and they survive and have actually prgressed

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Football post. I ll try one on 10:04 - Sep 3 with 1569 viewsStarsky

Good question.
Swansea City went to the top flight during the pre-sky years and the post-sky years.
The big difference is the financial gap between the elite and the rest.
The agents have profited the most as have the players.
The teams used to and still do max out on their budgets.
The Sky influence has brought in a new worldwide audience and while all this is great, I yearn for the days of seeing a barrel chested FRannie Lee trying to run through a muddy centre circle etc.
The game has become a Tad sterile for me. However, we joined in at just the the right time to build our legacy that will last for generations to come, no matter whether we stay up or not.

It's just the internet, init.

Football post. I ll try one on 10:07 - Sep 3 with 1557 viewsjacw

In my opinion we are all real clubs with real fans , and sky have pushed the English leagues to the forefront of world football with outstanding promotion and coverage.
The fact that we are where we are proves that with sound financial sense and good management choices all the teams in the English pyramid have a shot at the big time.
Football post. I ll try one on 10:15 - Sep 3 with 1527 viewsCatullus

I just posted an opinion about the money in the "established clubs" thread.

Sky money has caused more problems than it's solved. It's a miracle that we made it to the top and have stayed here, for now!!
And because the money has increased so much, the chances of another club doing it are very slim.
Of the lower league clubs now, not many have the potential we had. Plymouth, Portsmouth, Bradford, the Sheffields, Coventry, the Bristols and maybe MK Dons have the potential. Other clubs are doomed.
For some it's because they are too close to really big clubs, for others there just isn't the population to provide the crowds needed.
And then other clubs, like Leeds (and Portsmouth) are still struggling with historic debt.

And yes, Cardiff have the potential but several in the Championship do. Several in that division are bigger than us but still cannot match us financially as long as we stay up. And when they do come up, the debt incurred in doing so, hampers them.
Staying debt free/low debt is one of our greatest achievements. It makes us competitive with bigger teams (Newcastle, Sunderland, West Ham) and our whole ethos helps attract better players.
Sky are ripping the heart out of football. With players on a million a month, they earn more than most clubs do in a season!
No player, not even Messi or Ronaldo is worth £300,000 a week, nowhere near. And Falcao coming to the Premier for allegedly £350,000 a week is the craziest thing yet. It shows how out of control top end finances are.
What if he breaks his leg badly first time out and misses the rest of the season? 10 million quid for nothing, it's mad!!
There needs to be real financial control and a maximum wage structure. Maybe we should say that no player can earn more than £25,000 a week and anything over that goes to a pension fund? And that is still a massive wage packet!
And with that we need to stop Sky putting so much into football and spread the money out a bit more anyway, and then they can cut their prices too!!!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Football post. I ll try one on 10:19 - Sep 3 with 1515 viewsperchrockjack

Im not sure if its my age or circumstances but Im not as keen to travel around as I once did.

Other issues in life become a priority and quite rightly but there is something missing from the game. Worst for me is the fact grounds fill up so late as it used to be the case you d queue for hours to get in and were then treated like filth. I enjoyed that.
When I move north I went to see Liverpool (no swans commentery )and we got there at 12.30 for 3pm ko and 4.30 for evenings. For the St Etienne game in 77 ,it was full and bursting on the kop 90 minutes before. Being there so early people entertained themselves and scousers being scousers it was always a laugh . People swayed and pissed into pockets but you didn't care such was the excitement of it all.

I Remember the cup run we had in 64 and the heart boiling of bloody madness it all was and to think we took boxes in to stand on.

To see people literally strolling in almost at ko with a phone in one hand and their soul in the other isn't the same. we ve lost the passion, the raw rough nature of it all which was what we were introduced to by our fathers taken us to our first games.

My ol fella should be 90 this year in November and outside family its everything; its you, your club ,your town, your hopes and dreams all in one.IT JUST CHANGE AS YOU GET OLDER but these days there is not the noise, the passion or the glorious stupidity of it all to keep you warm inside..

Sky has allowed us to view games in glorious detail but arguably its killed the game spiritually..
NO OFFENCE MEANT TO ANY PERSONS LIVING OR DEAD AND NO ANIMALS WERE INJURED IN THE MAKING OF THIS POST

Football post. I ll try one on 10:23 - Sep 3 with 1506 viewsdobjack2

The sky money is obscene as is the money lavished on clubs by sugar daddies. Good in the short term for players and agents and fir seeing some quality players but unsustainable business models if the sky bubble bursts. Clubs have become corporate money making entities and fans are always in danger of being treated with contempt by their club as they look to make every pound they can.
Football post. I ll try one on 10:27 - Sep 3 with 1492 viewsStarsky

Football post. I ll try one on 10:23 - Sep 3 by dobjack2

The sky money is obscene as is the money lavished on clubs by sugar daddies. Good in the short term for players and agents and fir seeing some quality players but unsustainable business models if the sky bubble bursts. Clubs have become corporate money making entities and fans are always in danger of being treated with contempt by their club as they look to make every pound they can.

You say that but you have clubs that have squandered the opportunities that the sky money had given them. Blackpool the perfect example. All they got out of it was a temporary tin stand.

Football post. I ll try one on 10:51 - Sep 3 with 1466 viewsperchrockjack

All of us supplement Sky when we watch games-oh yes we do.

None of us would refuse to watch the swans on sky out of principle and that s the tragedy of it all.

BTW, is this thread not worthy of greater contribution as discussing football is allegedly what its all about

Football post. I ll try one on 10:51 - Sep 3 with 1466 viewsPrivate_Partz

Football post. I ll try one on 10:07 - Sep 3 by jacw

In my opinion we are all real clubs with real fans , and sky have pushed the English leagues to the forefront of world football with outstanding promotion and coverage.
The fact that we are where we are proves that with sound financial sense and good management choices all the teams in the English pyramid have a shot at the big time.

Can't agree there. There are less and less real fans at the top clubs. I bet most of the Chelsea shed are priced out of the game now if they are still alive. The rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. (As it always will be in the world of the Tory). It is becoming increasingly difficult to move up the leagues and progress. If some had their way the Prem would be invite only based on financial clout and stadium size with no relegation.
Sky have pumped money into the game but the powers that be have totally mismanaged things.
On a brighter note if the bubble did burst we would be in a much better position than most to ride the storm.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Login to get fewer ads

Football post. I ll try one on 10:52 - Sep 3 with 1463 viewsperchrockjack

THIS IS GREAT STUFF.
Im out soon so ffs keep it up and lets stop this recent bitchfest

Football post. I ll try one on 11:04 - Sep 3 with 1430 viewsscottishjack

It's a tricky one with regards SKY, have they enhanced football in this country? Yes, without doubt. Do I enjoy it as much as when I was younger? No.

It feels like a sanitized version of football these days, yes, the stadiums are all very nice, the pitches are immaculate, and the dark old days of looking over your shoulder at away games are almost a thing of the past, but it's just not quite the same anymore.

On the opposite end of the scale, my 14 year old boy has grown up with SKY, FIFA games, the Swans doing well etc. And he loves it all...

Personally I still pine for the Vetch, sod all to do with SKY I know, but still...
Football post. I ll try one on 11:04 - Sep 3 with 1428 viewsjack247

Depends what you want.

If you want the best quality players, the best coverage (in terms of quality and volume) and a club that is a massive asset to the local area, then undoubtedly it has.

If you want the atmosphere of the Vetch, the camaraderie on the motorway travelling to games and the feeling of being part of something that people who don't support their local team will never understand, then no. That has probably gone forever.

Personally, I would say yes, but I do look back at the old days with a lot of nostalgia.
Football post. I ll try one on 11:06 - Sep 3 with 1419 viewsC_jack

Pre-sky, the game here was in a bit of a state. Clubs were still suffering from the exclusion of European football, and the top players in the land were off playing in Spain, Italy, France. The league had one representation in the EC and they were getting beat, comfortably by teams that it would be considered embarrassing to lose to now.

The money has no doubt enhanced the standard, the money attracted foreign players to come here, when they had no previous ambition to do so, and in turn their influence raised the standard of others. Instead of using the money to keep that standard improving, the money just went to attract more foreign stars, or keep the very good players in house.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Football post. I ll try one on 11:11 - Sep 3 with 1409 viewsdobjack2

Football post. I ll try one on 10:27 - Sep 3 by Starsky

You say that but you have clubs that have squandered the opportunities that the sky money had given them. Blackpool the perfect example. All they got out of it was a temporary tin stand.

Unless the sky money is used to benefit the local community it is being squandered. It is generally spent to achieve a league place to get sky money again the following year.It is addictive and drives behaviours.
Football post. I ll try one on 11:12 - Sep 3 with 1407 viewsjacksinceever

I hate Sky with a vengeance, but the money that comes into Swans has helped us to progress. So it's a double-edged sword.
However sport in general has been robbed from the masses due to the exclusivity of their live broadcast. People who can't afford the expensive TV packages and don't want to spend their lives in bars & clubs are stopped from seeing sport that used to be available for all
Football post. I ll try one on 11:13 - Sep 3 with 1404 viewsDDCH

Agree with an awful lot of what I have read here.

SKY has/is as much a problem for the football fan as it is a help. The quality of the leagues have improved, and for a football fan the more of it on TV the better.

The experience has changed though, into a more corporate event. The price of the match tickets is incredibly high, and for a lot of people it is unaffordable, especially when the whole family want to join in.

One of my biggest bugs with SKY is that everyone has become a football expert.

I on the other hand openly state that most of the time am a wide eyed football fan who is fallowing the ball around, and often misses the tactical intricacy of play. I just enjoy it for what it is and don't feel qualified enough to judge on tactics and stats.

Stats is my next bug of SKY. They love stats.....61% possession ------ 98% pass rate ------ etc.

I don't care if I am honest. I want to know how many times Nathan Dyer ran and a man and turned him. How many crazy things Shelvey did that game that border on genius or madness, but they stuff that I love is not stat-able but counting thrown ins is.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

Football post. I ll try one on 11:17 - Sep 3 with 1395 viewsPrivate_Partz

Football post. I ll try one on 10:27 - Sep 3 by Starsky

There are plenty of car crashes as well. I agree. I am talking about the increasing difficulties of financially well run clubs like ours.
Blackpool did make a fist of it and got a stand behind the goal as well (it was only two sided prior to the season before promotion.
They were prudent in their dealings but unfortunately they did not have fit and proper owners. Another grouse I have with the powers that be that allow these types to rule at clubs.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Football post. I ll try one on 11:21 - Sep 3 with 1389 viewsjacksinceever

Football post. I ll try one on 10:51 - Sep 3 by Private_Partz

Can't agree there. There are less and less real fans at the top clubs. I bet most of the Chelsea shed are priced out of the game now if they are still alive. The rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. (As it always will be in the world of the Tory). It is becoming increasingly difficult to move up the leagues and progress. If some had their way the Prem would be invite only based on financial clout and stadium size with no relegation.
Sky have pumped money into the game but the powers that be have totally mismanaged things.
On a brighter note if the bubble did burst we would be in a much better position than most to ride the storm.

We are still a real club with real fans, and because we are a "provincial" club, not like the Manchester or London "big" clubs we'll never IMO be top-heavy with the prawn sandwich brigade
Football post. I ll try one on 13:27 - Sep 3 with 1333 viewsperchrockjack

Not a bad thread is it.

Can be done

Now Chrissy make a pertinent comment followed by one from davillon

Football post. I ll try one on 16:41 - Sep 3 with 1240 viewsStarsky

Football post. I ll try one on 13:27 - Sep 3 by perchrockjack

Not a bad thread is it.

Can be done

Now Chrissy make a pertinent comment followed by one from davillon

You couldn't help yourself could you?

Football post. I ll try one on 17:02 - Sep 3 with 1215 viewshammy

Football post. I ll try one on 11:12 - Sep 3 by jacksinceever

I hate Sky with a vengeance, but the money that comes into Swans has helped us to progress. So it's a double-edged sword.
However sport in general has been robbed from the masses due to the exclusivity of their live broadcast. People who can't afford the expensive TV packages and don't want to spend their lives in bars & clubs are stopped from seeing sport that used to be available for all

But I suppose this is what the BBC is for ... MOTD is available to all (as long as they can afford a TV and the license fee !) and they do show the big events (or ITV pick up where the BBC doesn't). We never used to be able to see live top level football before Sky came along.

I do have Sky but am not a big fan of the way they seem to be escalating the funding into the PL, which they know simply gets passed on in exhorbitant wages and agent fees, with a small percentage being set aside for infrastructure and youth level development. But can't see this changing until the bubble bursts at the top end and FIFA are forced to implement some form of maximum wage structure per squad.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Football post. I ll try one on 17:25 - Sep 3 with 1184 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Football post. I ll try one on 10:15 - Sep 3 by Catullus

I just posted an opinion about the money in the "established clubs" thread.

Sky money has caused more problems than it's solved. It's a miracle that we made it to the top and have stayed here, for now!!
And because the money has increased so much, the chances of another club doing it are very slim.
Of the lower league clubs now, not many have the potential we had. Plymouth, Portsmouth, Bradford, the Sheffields, Coventry, the Bristols and maybe MK Dons have the potential. Other clubs are doomed.
For some it's because they are too close to really big clubs, for others there just isn't the population to provide the crowds needed.
And then other clubs, like Leeds (and Portsmouth) are still struggling with historic debt.

And yes, Cardiff have the potential but several in the Championship do. Several in that division are bigger than us but still cannot match us financially as long as we stay up. And when they do come up, the debt incurred in doing so, hampers them.
Staying debt free/low debt is one of our greatest achievements. It makes us competitive with bigger teams (Newcastle, Sunderland, West Ham) and our whole ethos helps attract better players.
Sky are ripping the heart out of football. With players on a million a month, they earn more than most clubs do in a season!
No player, not even Messi or Ronaldo is worth £300,000 a week, nowhere near. And Falcao coming to the Premier for allegedly £350,000 a week is the craziest thing yet. It shows how out of control top end finances are.
What if he breaks his leg badly first time out and misses the rest of the season? 10 million quid for nothing, it's mad!!
There needs to be real financial control and a maximum wage structure. Maybe we should say that no player can earn more than £25,000 a week and anything over that goes to a pension fund? And that is still a massive wage packet!
And with that we need to stop Sky putting so much into football and spread the money out a bit more anyway, and then they can cut their prices too!!!!

Good post.

Just thought you'd like to know that if for example Falcao did break his leg, Manchester United would get a huge insurance payout which would cover most of his wages.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Football post. I ll try one on 23:26 - Sep 3 with 1114 viewsperchrockjack

Neither was able statky.

We re told this is a site for debate.

Some good contributions but both parties in the vanguard if this debacle do not.

Says it all..

To me

Football post. I ll try one on 00:55 - Sep 4 with 1060 viewsSwansNZ

Football post. I ll try one on 17:25 - Sep 3 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Good post.

Just thought you'd like to know that if for example Falcao did break his leg, Manchester United would get a huge insurance payout which would cover most of his wages.

I would imagine the insurance premiums are very high, to cover 350,000 a week for 9 months.

I have no problem with Sky (I would not be able to see any games, otherwise), the give a sh1t load of money to the PL and the clubs, but what is done with that money - nearly all of it is given to a select group of professional footballers, the majority?? of which are foreign and will just take the money out of the country in a relativity short space of time.

I’m all for a wage cap, but it will never happen. Nobody is worth the sort of money these guys get paid.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Football post. I ll try one on 03:24 - Sep 4 with 1023 viewsWanderer

Football post. I ll try one on 00:55 - Sep 4 by SwansNZ

I would imagine the insurance premiums are very high, to cover 350,000 a week for 9 months.

I have no problem with Sky (I would not be able to see any games, otherwise), the give a sh1t load of money to the PL and the clubs, but what is done with that money - nearly all of it is given to a select group of professional footballers, the majority?? of which are foreign and will just take the money out of the country in a relativity short space of time.

I’m all for a wage cap, but it will never happen. Nobody is worth the sort of money these guys get paid.

Bang on, personally I do not get it, how is one person paid 350.000 a week for kicking a football, Christ it is flaming obscene.

with FIFA at the top running the show no wonder greed & avarice is rampant in the world game.

there i'll get off my soapbox now.
Football post. I ll try one on 03:34 - Sep 4 with 1018 viewsSwansNZ

Football post. I ll try one on 03:24 - Sep 4 by Wanderer

Bang on, personally I do not get it, how is one person paid 350.000 a week for kicking a football, Christ it is flaming obscene.

with FIFA at the top running the show no wonder greed & avarice is rampant in the world game.

there i'll get off my soapbox now.

350,000 quid is a very good wage for a top professional football player — per YEAR.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024