Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? 17:32 - Jun 3 with 7713 viewsDavillin

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 17:14 - Jun 4 with 2529 viewsexiledclaseboy

Huge fan from of both but Blackadder pips it for me for consistency, cleverness and the greatness of the entire ensemble. Fawlty Towers was brilliant and a Cleese tour de force but Blackadder had more depth. And of course there were the two magnificent cameos from the great Rik Mayall. Just my opinion. Strangely though the fourth series is my least favourite of the final three, as good as it undoubtedly was. Blackadder II was the peak, then three, four and one.

Re whoever complained about canned laughter in Blackadder. My understanding is that series two, three and four were filmed in front of studio audiences. Could be wrong.

Poll: Tory leader

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:13 - Jun 4 with 2484 viewswaynekerr55

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 17:12 - Jun 4 by londonlisa2001

Blackadder for me.

FT was great at the time, but was great mainly because John Cleese and Prunella Scales were great. I watched one not that long ago and was surprised at how dated it was.

Don't mention the war Lisa

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:23 - Jun 4 with 2476 viewslondonlisa2001

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:13 - Jun 4 by waynekerr55

Don't mention the war Lisa

ha - don't get me wrong, I loved it at the time and i still like it a lot, just think that some of the stuff with the Major and also Manuel doesn't seem so funny any more. Prunella Scales was the best in it for me, but I love her in everything, not least in Mapp and Lucia.

Blackadder still makes me cry laughing, particularly series 2, although I love series 3 as well. It's the small things in that which are so good - Mr and Mrs Ploppy in the jail, the bit someone posted up the other day with Nursey, the one where Baldrick burns Dr Johnson's dictionary by mistake, just fantastic.
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:28 - Jun 4 with 2469 viewswaynekerr55

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:23 - Jun 4 by londonlisa2001

ha - don't get me wrong, I loved it at the time and i still like it a lot, just think that some of the stuff with the Major and also Manuel doesn't seem so funny any more. Prunella Scales was the best in it for me, but I love her in everything, not least in Mapp and Lucia.

Blackadder still makes me cry laughing, particularly series 2, although I love series 3 as well. It's the small things in that which are so good - Mr and Mrs Ploppy in the jail, the bit someone posted up the other day with Nursey, the one where Baldrick burns Dr Johnson's dictionary by mistake, just fantastic.

I've got to say the sketch by the two Ronnie's in the worm that turned with the 'two lumps and a sponge finger' scene was brilliant

Can't beat a bit of open all hours too 👌

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:33 - Jun 4 with 2463 viewslondonlisa2001

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:28 - Jun 4 by waynekerr55

I've got to say the sketch by the two Ronnie's in the worm that turned with the 'two lumps and a sponge finger' scene was brilliant

Can't beat a bit of open all hours too 👌

I had the pleasure of meeting Ronnie Corbett not long ago - a really nice bloke. Very underrated in some ways - his bits where he used to sit in the chair and tell a story were pretty ahead of their time. Not dissimilar in style to stuff from people like Eddie Izzard, albeit more gentle given it was twenty or thirty years ago now.
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 19:33 - Jun 4 with 2432 viewsFlashberryjack

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 18:33 - Jun 4 by londonlisa2001

I had the pleasure of meeting Ronnie Corbett not long ago - a really nice bloke. Very underrated in some ways - his bits where he used to sit in the chair and tell a story were pretty ahead of their time. Not dissimilar in style to stuff from people like Eddie Izzard, albeit more gentle given it was twenty or thirty years ago now.

Four candles

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 21:26 - Jun 4 with 2393 viewsperchrockjack

One series to match them was Brass with Timothy west in epic form.

Bradley hardacre...a proper boss

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 21:31 - Jun 4 with 2390 viewsHighjack

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 17:14 - Jun 4 by exiledclaseboy

Huge fan from of both but Blackadder pips it for me for consistency, cleverness and the greatness of the entire ensemble. Fawlty Towers was brilliant and a Cleese tour de force but Blackadder had more depth. And of course there were the two magnificent cameos from the great Rik Mayall. Just my opinion. Strangely though the fourth series is my least favourite of the final three, as good as it undoubtedly was. Blackadder II was the peak, then three, four and one.

Re whoever complained about canned laughter in Blackadder. My understanding is that series two, three and four were filmed in front of studio audiences. Could be wrong.

Yeah they had live audiences, as did Fawlty Towers.

John Cleese has spoke about the first episode they filmed and the audience just didn't get it and sat there in stony silence. He thought the series would be panned before it started. Luckily the TV audience loved it.

Not sure which episode it was as they didn't film them in the same order as they broadcast but I remember it being noticeable.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 21:34 - Jun 4 with 2380 viewsdickythorpe

Porridge pisses over them both.
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 21:58 - Jun 4 with 2360 viewsjackonicko

Blackadder just pips it for me too. Series 2, then 4, then 3 and 1 a distant last.

The final scene in series 4 was stumbled upon - it wasn't scripted like that. However, the scene going over the top in the trenches was shot in a studio on a low budget and frankly looked a bit sh1t in real time. They messed about in the edit with slo-mo and music to make it better. Then someone had the bright idea at the last minute to dissolve into the poppy field. Ended up being the brilliantly poignant ending that was never in the script!
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 22:07 - Jun 4 with 2343 viewsHighjack

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 21:58 - Jun 4 by jackonicko

Blackadder just pips it for me too. Series 2, then 4, then 3 and 1 a distant last.

The final scene in series 4 was stumbled upon - it wasn't scripted like that. However, the scene going over the top in the trenches was shot in a studio on a low budget and frankly looked a bit sh1t in real time. They messed about in the edit with slo-mo and music to make it better. Then someone had the bright idea at the last minute to dissolve into the poppy field. Ended up being the brilliantly poignant ending that was never in the script!

Yeah the original footage is hilarious, a pyrotechnic goes off right in Rowan Atkinsons face and he stands around looking thoroughly pissed off about it.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 22:23 - Jun 4 with 2333 viewswaynekerr55

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 21:34 - Jun 4 by dickythorpe

Porridge pisses over them both.

The one where they give godber the wrong test paper in 😂😂😂😂

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 22:56 - Jun 4 with 2313 viewsSwansNZ

Love both Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, but Blackadder probably just shades it — maybe making 4 series helped. My favourite Blackadder series would be 2, followed by 3, then 4 then 1.

Flowery Tw@ts - that was my favourite sign too.
Warty Towels, Watery Fowls, Fatty Owls, Farty Towels and one for perchie… Flay Otters

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 10:24 - Jun 5 with 2273 viewsGreatBritton

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 22:56 - Jun 4 by SwansNZ

Love both Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, but Blackadder probably just shades it — maybe making 4 series helped. My favourite Blackadder series would be 2, followed by 3, then 4 then 1.

Flowery Tw@ts - that was my favourite sign too.
Warty Towels, Watery Fowls, Fatty Owls, Farty Towels and one for perchie… Flay Otters

Did anyone else find, in a show which was relentlessly based on realism, that it was a bit surreal that the anagrams didn't all contain all the letters of Fawlty Towers? Farty Towels only has one W, for goodness' sake!
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 10:41 - Jun 5 with 2266 viewsepaul

Dads Army nuff said Captain Mainwaring / Arthur Lowe = genius

[Post edited 5 Jun 2015 10:44]

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 10:47 - Jun 5 with 2293 viewsGreatBritton

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 10:41 - Jun 5 by epaul

Dads Army nuff said Captain Mainwaring / Arthur Lowe = genius

[Post edited 5 Jun 2015 10:44]

Arthur Lowe = genius - correct
Also, Philip Madoc = very bad ham actor who nearly wrecked a great script
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 11:35 - Jun 5 with 2275 viewsSwansNZ

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 10:24 - Jun 5 by GreatBritton

Did anyone else find, in a show which was relentlessly based on realism, that it was a bit surreal that the anagrams didn't all contain all the letters of Fawlty Towers? Farty Towels only has one W, for goodness' sake!

As below (from wiki), the letters start dropping off. From Ep5, they started beign jumbled, by the paperboy.

Episode 1: "Fawlty Towers" (the letter "S" is askew)
Episode 2: "Fawlty Tower" (the letter "L" is askew)
Episode 3: "Fawty Tower" (the second letter "W" is askew)
Episode 4: "Fawty Toer"

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 13:18 - Jun 5 with 2253 viewsBaptist

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 10:47 - Jun 5 by GreatBritton

Arthur Lowe = genius - correct
Also, Philip Madoc = very bad ham actor who nearly wrecked a great script

I loved him in the Mr Men...

For me both were great. And the 1st series was a lot better than people claim - didn't descend to daft innuendo most of the time (courtesy of Benjamin Elton). It had Brian Blessed (and Peter Cook) in it ffs... EDGAAAAAAR
[Post edited 5 Jun 2015 13:21]
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 13:42 - Jun 5 with 2241 viewsPhil_S

Nobody has yet mentioned Terry and June...
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 13:49 - Jun 5 with 2234 viewslondonlisa2001

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 13:42 - Jun 5 by Phil_S

Nobody has yet mentioned Terry and June...

Perhaps we could have a poll - Terry and June or George and Mildred?
Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 19:54 - Jun 6 with 2169 viewsDavillin

1188 views and only 34 votes?

And 17 to 17?

Apathy's a bitch, my friends.

So I now go and cast my tie-breaker.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 22:10 - Jun 6 with 2132 viewsjackportis

I have mentioned before. Can I just say how boring and unfunny tony Robinson is. The most boring person ever in real life. He's awful and I'm not alone on my views. He did a motivational speech for my work. It was embarrassing. All of a sudden he would say this is what baldrick would say... Nobody laughed just silence. He mingled afterwards and only one person spoke to him about time team for about a minute.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 22:53 - Jun 6 with 2116 viewsperchrockjack

Big leftie and a tree hugger.
Id have smashed him

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 00:37 - Jun 7 with 2095 viewsexiledclaseboy

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 22:10 - Jun 6 by jackportis

I have mentioned before. Can I just say how boring and unfunny tony Robinson is. The most boring person ever in real life. He's awful and I'm not alone on my views. He did a motivational speech for my work. It was embarrassing. All of a sudden he would say this is what baldrick would say... Nobody laughed just silence. He mingled afterwards and only one person spoke to him about time team for about a minute.

He's an actor you perennial dimwit.

Poll: Tory leader

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 06:11 - Jun 7 with 2069 viewsjackportis

Fawlty Towers or Blackadder? on 00:37 - Jun 7 by exiledclaseboy

He's an actor you perennial dimwit.

Is he an actor? Gosh I never knew that. Well well. Why the personal remark about me. Ignore me if you don't like what I have to say.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024