Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? 13:28 - Aug 30 with 13580 viewsTheBlob

After that day release from the care home outburst from Brendan Foster who proclaimed Mo Farrah knocks everyone else(including Bobby Charlton apparently) into a cocked hat - it's time for your views and choices.
Well it ain't Mo,doesn't hold world records like Coe and Ovett did.And it sure as hell ain't Beckham.
I'm going for Steve Redgrave.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 00:07 - Aug 31 with 2621 viewsPunteR

Ronnie O Sullivan
Alan Shearer
Joe Calzaghe

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 00:18 - Aug 31 with 2620 viewsSimonJames

Steve Redgrave for me, with high praise for the England Rugby team when they win the World Cup on 31st Oct.
Honorable mention to Ellen MacArthur, who has bigger bollocks than probably anyone I know.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 01:09 - Aug 31 with 2573 viewsHollowayRanger

wasn't there a Dennis Compton who played cricket for England and football for arsenal ?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 01:32 - Aug 31 with 2558 viewsbob566

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:07 - Aug 30 by essextaxiboy

Foggy.... My No 1

[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 16:08]

Foggy. Your joking right. Doesn't even touch John Surtees who is the only man to win both bike and f1 championships . Even then I have him behind Barry sheen. And then I don't think either are fit to lace Joey dunlops boots.
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 01:37 - Aug 31 with 2552 viewsWilloW4

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 01:32 - Aug 31 by bob566

Foggy. Your joking right. Doesn't even touch John Surtees who is the only man to win both bike and f1 championships . Even then I have him behind Barry sheen. And then I don't think either are fit to lace Joey dunlops boots.

Cars and bikes going around and around... That's sport !!??
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 01:39 - Aug 31 with 2550 viewsJigsore

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:24 - Aug 30 by QPR_Jim

Steady now, if there's one thing more important than Britishness it's tradition.

My vote would be Redgrave, he did what he did over 5 Olympics with diabetes. He's our greatest olympian and sportsman. *sit back down Chris Hoy*

Chris Hoy, a great shout

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 02:16 - Aug 31 with 2535 viewsCHUBBS

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:56 - Aug 30 by CamberleyR

Kendo Nagasaki

He used to post on here.
My 3
Phil Taylor
Seve Ballesteros
Joey Dunlop
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 02:54 - Aug 31 with 2517 viewsNewEnglandR

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:09 - Aug 30 by TW_R

Bradley Wiggins was born in Belgium - so he's not British either

And hes a pie eater (from Wigan) so definitely doesn't count
Login to get fewer ads

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 03:22 - Aug 31 with 2512 viewsbarabajagal

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:26 - Aug 30 by HollowayRanger

where the plane lands or baby is registered

its a can of worms and like someone said its personal choice some wont care where someone is from and if they win a medal for GB that's all that matters

I cant cheers for someone like that , murry for instance is Scottish and its still 70 plus years since an Englishman won Wimbledon

only Have to look at QPR very few of us care where the players are from but its a little bit more special if its a local lad that comes good

absolute nonsense...
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 5:18]
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 07:34 - Aug 31 with 2446 viewsDWQPR

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 03:22 - Aug 31 by barabajagal

absolute nonsense...
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 5:18]

Max Woosnam. No contest. Might as well close this thread Clive.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 08:58 - Aug 31 with 2388 viewsingeminate

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 14:25 - Aug 30 by Pommyhoop

The Master.

Ha! I was going to say the same.

Bang on too. Unbelievable achievements.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 09:30 - Aug 31 with 2355 viewsElHoop

I can't have a runner as the the best ever, too low-tech for me. I mean, you just run. I can't have sports which not many people have done either. I think that the best has to be a footballer because more people have done it and it involves the application of technique to power and pace and balance.

If George Best had been English then at the very least he'd have been mentioned here. I don't see why he should be left out because he was NornIrish.

Best was the best.
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 09:42 - Aug 31 with 2347 viewsngbqpr

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:38 - Aug 30 by johncharles

Just looked him up and......we have a winner !!

Frankie Thread fans - this is John Digweed's bro. True.

I've always thought the two of them match the Attenboroughs for brothers achieving colossal success in completely different walks of life.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 09:55 - Aug 31 with 2322 viewsDiscodroids

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 09:42 - Aug 31 by ngbqpr

Frankie Thread fans - this is John Digweed's bro. True.

I've always thought the two of them match the Attenboroughs for brothers achieving colossal success in completely different walks of life.

fk me, i had no idea mate.

Well, uncle John is the greatest living DJ.

Bedrock at OXYO The 1st of october will be Epic.

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 09:57 - Aug 31 with 2321 viewsCiderwithRsie

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 09:30 - Aug 31 by ElHoop

I can't have a runner as the the best ever, too low-tech for me. I mean, you just run. I can't have sports which not many people have done either. I think that the best has to be a footballer because more people have done it and it involves the application of technique to power and pace and balance.

If George Best had been English then at the very least he'd have been mentioned here. I don't see why he should be left out because he was NornIrish.

Best was the best.

I can't have a runner as the the best ever, too low-tech for me. I mean, you just run.

Still too difficult for some of our players last year.
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:07 - Aug 31 with 2308 viewsDiscodroids

Just to keep the undercurrent of this threads vibe flowing , i'll nominate Buster Mottram.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 10:11]

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:20 - Aug 31 with 2282 viewsTHEBUSH

Haven't read all the threads, but I'd nominate, Jessica Ennis or Daley Thompson, must be best all round sportspersons for me
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:21 - Aug 31 with 2282 viewsTheBlob

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 09:55 - Aug 31 by Discodroids

fk me, i had no idea mate.

Well, uncle John is the greatest living DJ.

Bedrock at OXYO The 1st of october will be Epic.

How can you be a greatest living DJ?Someone who does a somersault before sticking a f*cking record on a turntable?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:27 - Aug 31 with 2272 viewsDiscodroids

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:21 - Aug 31 by TheBlob

How can you be a greatest living DJ?Someone who does a somersault before sticking a f*cking record on a turntable?

Normally id agree with you uncle blob... But this gadge is to Dj ing as alan turing is to computer science.

all in the programming .

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:40 - Aug 31 with 2256 viewsrongould

There is no doubt that some of you lads need to learn some history

Just check out C B Fry

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/death-cb-fry
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:49 - Aug 31 with 2246 viewsWatford_Ranger

I'd give a shout out to Max Woosnam, born late in the 19th century. Won Wimbldeon doubles, got an England football cap, won Olympic gold for tennis and played about 100 games with professional footballers mostly for Manchester City. Also scored a century at Lord's and got a 147 in snooker.

Most importantly, he beat Charlie Chaplin at table tennis using a butter knife for a bat.
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 11:17 - Aug 31 with 2225 viewsAntti_Heinola

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 13:37 - Aug 30 by HollowayRanger

for me they need to be born and bred here

and its not a colour thing felt same about that tennis player from Canada and that new one will picked up from east Europe

for me its impossible to pick a single person lewis Hamilton could be great driver ever

but mine would be botham

He moved here when he was 8. That's more than good enough for me - what he's done is absolutely phenomenal, a truly incredible amount of work he's put in. He may not be number one ever - how do you quantify that anyway? - but he's in the argument without a shadow of a doubt. Simply astonishing athlete.

Bare bones.

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 12:09 - Aug 31 with 2186 viewsrongould

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:49 - Aug 31 by Watford_Ranger

I'd give a shout out to Max Woosnam, born late in the 19th century. Won Wimbldeon doubles, got an England football cap, won Olympic gold for tennis and played about 100 games with professional footballers mostly for Manchester City. Also scored a century at Lord's and got a 147 in snooker.

Most importantly, he beat Charlie Chaplin at table tennis using a butter knife for a bat.

Good call, but he never had a world record and was never invited to be King of Albania.
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 12:25 - Aug 31 with 2174 viewsAntti_Heinola

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:05 - Aug 30 by Hayesender

There was a bit of commentary from the London Olympics where Steve Cram I think it was says something along the line of Mo Farah is showing the east Africans how it's done.

Mo Farah is east African ffs

You raise an interesting point there.

There's a lot of mistaken beliefs about dna and so forth when it comes to sport. For example - most of the world's best sprinters are from Jamaica and the US, and most of them trace their heritage to West Africa. So some believed it must be to do with DNA. And it's true: over 90% of Jamaicans have dna that means their muscles are more explosive and can produce greater speed. Mystery solved. Except 80% of Europeans have that, too. And there haven't been any great West African sprinters, either.

Kenyans and distance running is even more fascinating. A disproportionate number of their best runners come from around the Great Rift Valley - there's even a smaller place within the Valley that is like some kind of distance runner breeding ground. It was believed that this is to do with DNA - that this skill was passed down through generations, and those bloodlines are relatively pure. It was believed they had a natural advantage. That 'prejudice' (used not pejoratively) seeps over to Farah even today with the notion that he has some kind of advantage because of an East African heritage (his father was actually born and grew up in London).

The thing is, scientists were fascinated by Kenyan distance running and tested DNA in the Valley area, expecting to find a relatively 'pure' DNA. But it wasn't. It was as mixed as you'd find in Europe. So why so many great Kenyan distance runners? Practice. Practice, practice, practice. Practice and opportunity.

When they delved into the past of the best Kenyan runners they discovered that the really top ones had something in common: practice and opportunity. The best ones, from a young age, did a lot of running - because they had to. They had no other way to get to school. So every day they were running, at altitude, up to 20km *each way*. EVERY DAY. That is the 'advantage' Kenyan distance runners have - plus, of course, that they now have a tremendous tradition of running stars that young Kenyans aspire to, along with top coaching. Obviously, altitude helps, but it was that running every day that is the real 'secret'. It's a similar story in Jamaica for sprinters - top coaching, running stars they look up to, incredible hard work.

So in fact, Mo does show the East Africans how it's done. His place of birth is irrelevant. He is a great distance runner because he has worked his ass off for years and years to *be* a great distance runner. He's the best because he works the hardest. That's why he's a phenomenon. That's why Chris Hoy and Wiggo and Redgrave and Ennis and Serena and Federer and Pele and Maradona and Messi and Ali and all of them are truly great: practice and hard work.

He may not be Britain's best ever sporstman, but he's certainly in the conversation.

Bare bones.

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 12:27 - Aug 31 with 2169 viewshopphoops

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 10:49 - Aug 31 by Watford_Ranger

Good shout - he was also a heavy smoker. However disqualified as he played for Chelsea. how about Cuthbert Ottaway who was the first captain of England but died aged 27 'as a result of complications from a chill caught in the course of a night's dancing'

Hard to argue with Steve Redgrave; of those still practising I'd say Mark Cavendish or, yes, Mo Farah.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024