Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? 13:28 - Aug 30 with 13581 viewsTheBlob

After that day release from the care home outburst from Brendan Foster who proclaimed Mo Farrah knocks everyone else(including Bobby Charlton apparently) into a cocked hat - it's time for your views and choices.
Well it ain't Mo,doesn't hold world records like Coe and Ovett did.And it sure as hell ain't Beckham.
I'm going for Steve Redgrave.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:05 - Aug 30 with 2810 viewsWatford_Ranger

Farah's achievements are especially incredible given the level of competition against him, arguably tougher than the others listed.

So what if he wasn't born here? Neither was John Barnes. If we win the World Cup and Berahino gets the winner, will some people see it as a tainted victory?
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:07 - Aug 30 with 2808 viewsTheBlob

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:05 - Aug 30 by Watford_Ranger

Farah's achievements are especially incredible given the level of competition against him, arguably tougher than the others listed.

So what if he wasn't born here? Neither was John Barnes. If we win the World Cup and Berahino gets the winner, will some people see it as a tainted victory?

Can't agree,the level of competition is particularly bereft in athletics at the moment - where are the world records?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:09 - Aug 30 with 2801 viewsWilloW4

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:05 - Aug 30 by Watford_Ranger

John Barnes dad used to take him down to the Rangers, just thought I'd share..
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:09 - Aug 30 with 2802 viewsTW_R

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:05 - Aug 30 by Hayesender

There was a bit of commentary from the London Olympics where Steve Cram I think it was says something along the line of Mo Farah is showing the east Africans how it's done.

Mo Farah is east African ffs

Bradley Wiggins was born in Belgium - so he's not British either
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:12 - Aug 30 with 2790 viewsTheBlob

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:09 - Aug 30 by TW_R

I missed out Lennox Lewis as well because someone might point out he was/is Canadian by assimilation although born in West 'ammmmmmmm
[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 15:14]

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:13 - Aug 30 with 2786 viewsTW_R

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 14:48 - Aug 30 by HollowayRanger

yea your right I didn't as its a Pandora's box

however if I had to go one way or the other id say no as they were not born here

naturally they can get a uk passport like everyone does that comes here , including my mum but id always see my mum as being Irish as that's where she was born and not British

It's not really a Pandora's box though is it. It's just opinion. I think it's a bit of a nonsense to try to determine someone's nationality based on where they are born. What happens if someone is born on a plane, flying over Kenya. Does that mean they should be Kenyan
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:15 - Aug 30 with 2769 viewsTheBlob

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:13 - Aug 30 by TW_R

It's not really a Pandora's box though is it. It's just opinion. I think it's a bit of a nonsense to try to determine someone's nationality based on where they are born. What happens if someone is born on a plane, flying over Kenya. Does that mean they should be Kenyan

Which airline?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:18 - Aug 30 with 2739 viewsHayesender

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:09 - Aug 30 by TW_R

You've taken that out of context. He has every right to compete for GB as he was brought up here from an early age, but his dna is east African.

So for Steve Cram to say he's showing the east Africans how to do it was quite funny

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:26 - Aug 30 with 2711 viewsHollowayRanger

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:13 - Aug 30 by TW_R

where the plane lands or baby is registered

its a can of worms and like someone said its personal choice some wont care where someone is from and if they win a medal for GB that's all that matters

I cant cheers for someone like that , murry for instance is Scottish and its still 70 plus years since an Englishman won Wimbledon

only Have to look at QPR very few of us care where the players are from but its a little bit more special if its a local lad that comes good

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:26 - Aug 30 with 2712 viewsBromleyHoop

George Digweed......look him up.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:35 - Aug 30 with 2702 viewsLewes_r

Mo is up there. Every nation runs so big pool to beat unlike cricket rugby elitist F1 etc

On the world record front he can break some for sure but most of the races he's won have been tactical as modern racing isn't about running hard all the way and trying to get a world record.

Mo is definitely up there with Bobby charlton if he gets a WR

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:36 - Aug 30 with 2691 viewsJAPRANGERS

SWP
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:51 - Aug 30 with 2664 viewsFredManRave

In no particular order, basically because I can't decide, it's Brian Jacks, Geoff Capes and Shirley Crabtree for me, all of whom were born on British soil.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:53 - Aug 30 with 2662 viewsTW_R

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:18 - Aug 30 by Hayesender

You've taken that out of context. He has every right to compete for GB as he was brought up here from an early age, but his dna is east African.

So for Steve Cram to say he's showing the east Africans how to do it was quite funny

Mo's dad was born in London and is British.
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:07 - Aug 30 with 2645 viewsessextaxiboy

Foggy.... My No 1

[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 16:08]
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:12 - Aug 30 with 2552 viewskensalriser

Stop being such a colossal cock, Holloway, ffs.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:24 - Aug 30 with 2527 viewsQPR_Jim

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:12 - Aug 30 by kensalriser

Stop being such a colossal cock, Holloway, ffs.

Steady now, if there's one thing more important than Britishness it's tradition.

My vote would be Redgrave, he did what he did over 5 Olympics with diabetes. He's our greatest olympian and sportsman. *sit back down Chris Hoy*
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:42 - Aug 30 with 2505 viewsMatch82

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:12 - Aug 30 by TheBlob

I missed out Lennox Lewis as well because someone might point out he was/is Canadian by assimilation although born in West 'ammmmmmmm
[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 15:14]

Any claim Lennox had to bring British disappeared when he wished "Britan well in the world's cup"
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:11 - Aug 30 with 2355 viewscarlh5266

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 16:07 - Aug 30 by essextaxiboy

Foggy.... My No 1

[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 16:08]

Great Shout
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:21 - Aug 30 with 2323 viewsstansleftfoot

I give you these Amateur sportsmen......
[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 22:22]
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:24 - Aug 30 with 2314 viewspaulparker

Duke Mckenzie
Daley Thompson
Linford Christie
Steve Redgrave
Chris Hoy
Mo Farah
Bradley Wiggins
Chris Froome
Lennox Lewis
Steve Ovett

Proper winners

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:35 - Aug 30 with 2279 viewseccles

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:24 - Aug 30 by paulparker

Duke Mckenzie
Daley Thompson
Linford Christie
Steve Redgrave
Chris Hoy
Mo Farah
Bradley Wiggins
Chris Froome
Lennox Lewis
Steve Ovett

Proper winners

you could probably add
Nick Faldo
martin Johnson
Jonny Wilkinson
and Bobby Moore
to that list
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:38 - Aug 30 with 2275 viewsjohncharles

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 15:26 - Aug 30 by BromleyHoop

George Digweed......look him up.

Just looked him up and......we have a winner !!

Strong and stable my arse.

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:40 - Aug 30 with 2268 viewsCiderwithRsie

Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 14:21 - Aug 30 by TW_R

So what about children born to British servicemen while stationed abroad? Would they get counted in your obscure world?

Lewis Hamilton isn't even the best ever British racing driver, let alone best sportsman.

Very true. None of my family would qualify as greatest athletes from our road let alone Britain but the fact that half of us were born abroad due to military service of parents doesn't make any of us less British.

On that basis Spike Milligan is ruled out of being Britain's funniest comedian (reminding me of his comment when refused a British passport - word to the effect of "What the hell did they think I spent years being shot at for?") and both Felicity Kendall and Joanna Lumley are ruled out of being English sex symbols. Madness, I tell you.

Have a word with yourself, Holloway. Plastic Brits are one thing; Mo Farah was 8 when he came to Britain, he went to school here and his dad was born here. British.
Britain's Best Ever Sportsperson? on 22:56 - Aug 30 with 2239 viewsCamberleyR

Kendo Nagasaki

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024