Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history 11:52 - Sep 12 with 21065 viewsmingthemerciless

Well that's a turn up for the book. No more austerity lite from the Labour Party hopefully.
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 11:56 - Sep 12 with 6432 viewsSuddenLad

12 minutes into the 'new era' and the first Minister resigns. Jamie Reed resigns as health minister.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 12:02 - Sep 12 with 6417 viewsmingthemerciless

He won't be the last. Plenty of toys to be thrown out of the pram yet. Chuka umuna looked like he'd swallowed a wasp !
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 12:38 - Sep 12 with 6340 viewsSuddenLad

Now that 'Tom & Jerry' are running the show, anything's possible. A political journalists' dream.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 12:49 - Sep 12 with 6318 viewsmingthemerciless

I see our local MP showed he has his finger on the pulse of the Labour Party. He backed Liz Kendall ! Err, I wouldn't bother waiting by the phone this afternoon Simon.
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 13:47 - Sep 12 with 6233 viewsYorkshire_Dale

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 12:49 - Sep 12 by mingthemerciless

I see our local MP showed he has his finger on the pulse of the Labour Party. He backed Liz Kendall ! Err, I wouldn't bother waiting by the phone this afternoon Simon.

4% Liz.......it's comedy go;d!
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:06 - Sep 12 with 6197 viewspioneer

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 11:56 - Sep 12 by SuddenLad

12 minutes into the 'new era' and the first Minister resigns. Jamie Reed resigns as health minister.

Shadow minister reigned....not the minister....we should be so lucky!
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:12 - Sep 12 with 6181 viewsisitme

What great news for the country.
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:18 - Sep 12 with 6170 viewsSuddenLad

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:06 - Sep 12 by pioneer

Shadow minister reigned....not the minister....we should be so lucky!

Rachel Reeves has resigned. Shadow Health Minster.

Login to get fewer ads

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:28 - Sep 12 with 6155 viewsmingthemerciless

The olive branch was held out to all wings of the party today in the new leaders acceptance speech. If they chose not accept it, well it says more about the people concerned and their view of what democracy means. I would have thought the Labour Party will not look kindly on their lack of loyalty in the future.
New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:45 - Sep 12 with 6121 viewsBigDaveMyCock

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:12 - Sep 12 by isitme

What great news for the country.

Whilst Corbyn may not lead Labour to election victory, the Blairites have got a massive problem. They just can't enthuse nearly enough people to do what it is they claim to be really good at - winning elections. The likes of Hunt and Danszuk bemoan the unelectability of Corbyn without a thought that his staggeringly impressive victory owes very much to the unpopularity of the likes Hunt and Danszuk.
It's almost like they have a divine right to govern.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:46 - Sep 12 with 6120 views1mark1

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:28 - Sep 12 by mingthemerciless

The olive branch was held out to all wings of the party today in the new leaders acceptance speech. If they chose not accept it, well it says more about the people concerned and their view of what democracy means. I would have thought the Labour Party will not look kindly on their lack of loyalty in the future.

Hope he builds a genuine fighting opposition to the government, that includes other parties, and rebel Tories, on a issue by issue basis. Green Party already welcomed his win. I make this clear as a Green, there are still differences on many issues between the left of the LP and the Greens.

http://www.carolinelucas.com/latest/caroline-responds-to-labour-leadership-elect

None of those who have sulked off will be missed, as they are all too close to the Tory government on policy issues. Labour have to be a clear alternative to the Tories, especially on Austerity, and the economy as a whole. But again support the government if they are right, on a policy by policy basis. The Labour party has to to reflect in parliament the views of it's members, supporters, voters including the millions that have moved from Labour since the turn of the century.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:55 - Sep 12 with 6097 viewsD_Alien

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:46 - Sep 12 by 1mark1

Hope he builds a genuine fighting opposition to the government, that includes other parties, and rebel Tories, on a issue by issue basis. Green Party already welcomed his win. I make this clear as a Green, there are still differences on many issues between the left of the LP and the Greens.

http://www.carolinelucas.com/latest/caroline-responds-to-labour-leadership-elect

None of those who have sulked off will be missed, as they are all too close to the Tory government on policy issues. Labour have to be a clear alternative to the Tories, especially on Austerity, and the economy as a whole. But again support the government if they are right, on a policy by policy basis. The Labour party has to to reflect in parliament the views of it's members, supporters, voters including the millions that have moved from Labour since the turn of the century.

Sensible, but let's see what happens in practise.

I think it's a great victory for what the original Labour Party stood for. And I say that as someone who doesn't share their aims and ideals. But at least, they've got some ideals now. "New" Labour had become the biggest irrelevance since the Whigs.

Another really interesting thing to emerge will be what happens to the Tory Party, now they're almost guaranteed victory at the next election... but of course, nothing is ever guaranteed, and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't dig a massive hole for themselves too.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:03 - Sep 12 with 6069 viewsSuddenLad

Certainly some controversial moments ahead, testing the principles of Jeremy Corbyn....

Firstly, he's a staunch and principled Republican, but in order to lead H.M. Opposition from the chamber of the House of Commons he is required to accept the post of Privy Councillor at the personal invitation of The Queen. He has to accept one to be the other.

In which of the two alternatives will he show himself to be a hypocrite at the earliest opportunity ?

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:06 - Sep 12 with 6056 viewsBigDaveMyCock

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:03 - Sep 12 by SuddenLad

Certainly some controversial moments ahead, testing the principles of Jeremy Corbyn....

Firstly, he's a staunch and principled Republican, but in order to lead H.M. Opposition from the chamber of the House of Commons he is required to accept the post of Privy Councillor at the personal invitation of The Queen. He has to accept one to be the other.

In which of the two alternatives will he show himself to be a hypocrite at the earliest opportunity ?

He hasn't stood on a mandate to abolish the monarchy to be fair.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:06 - Sep 12 with 6054 viewsD_Alien

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:03 - Sep 12 by SuddenLad

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:07 - Sep 12 with 6048 views1mark1

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 14:55 - Sep 12 by D_Alien

Sensible, but let's see what happens in practise.

I think it's a great victory for what the original Labour Party stood for. And I say that as someone who doesn't share their aims and ideals. But at least, they've got some ideals now. "New" Labour had become the biggest irrelevance since the Whigs.

Another really interesting thing to emerge will be what happens to the Tory Party, now they're almost guaranteed victory at the next election... but of course, nothing is ever guaranteed, and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't dig a massive hole for themselves too.

Would agree with all of that except I honestly believe Labour will form the next government, not too sure what kind of numbers, but more likely some kind of coalition. I just think, JC will get Labour winning back millions of votes, from the 4/5 million that left Labour and also millions who have not voted previously.

Please feel free to quote me on this in the future, if I am proven to be wrong, but I believe Labour are on the way back, but at the same time the Greens will continue to grow, and will increase our MPs in 2020, if only by one or two, but will get more votes.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:08 - Sep 12 with 6039 viewsSuddenLad

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:06 - Sep 12 by BigDaveMyCock

He hasn't stood on a mandate to abolish the monarchy to be fair.

No, but he has made no secret of his Republican stance and many of his supporters do so with the same beliefs.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:12 - Sep 12 with 6025 viewsBigDaveMyCock

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:07 - Sep 12 by 1mark1

Would agree with all of that except I honestly believe Labour will form the next government, not too sure what kind of numbers, but more likely some kind of coalition. I just think, JC will get Labour winning back millions of votes, from the 4/5 million that left Labour and also millions who have not voted previously.

Please feel free to quote me on this in the future, if I am proven to be wrong, but I believe Labour are on the way back, but at the same time the Greens will continue to grow, and will increase our MPs in 2020, if only by one or two, but will get more votes.

There's also a good few million battered and bruised former Lib Dem voters requiring a loving home.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:13 - Sep 12 with 6018 viewsSalwaDale

What we do have now is an opposition who are likely to actually oppose rather than the current central politics. It does seem that Corbyn has enthused people. I'm intrigued to see what happens.

TBBT

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:14 - Sep 12 with 6017 viewsD_Alien

Typical Labour - announcing an important piece of news just when most normal people are trying to concentrate on an afternoon's football

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:17 - Sep 12 with 6009 viewselectricblue

12 have resigned....
11 have been named and the 12th is a wimp by asking not to be named and goid ridence to them all if they cant work for the people and support their party leader..

I just hope that Corbyn becomes a thorn in the tories side as Labour have been gutless and clueless since 2010...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:20 - Sep 12 with 5998 viewsBigDaveMyCock

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:08 - Sep 12 by SuddenLad

No, but he has made no secret of his Republican stance and many of his supporters do so with the same beliefs.

You can be a republican but accept that you are in the minority of opinion on the matter. I'm a republican but accept that far more people are not so until they are convinced otherwise I accept it.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:26 - Sep 12 with 5989 views1mark1

From what I know, Privy council membership although at the invitation of the queen, does not require support to her. I am sure there have been other leaders of opposition parties who in the past have been Republicans. I am not sure if it's automatic for the leader of the opposition to become Privy council member or not, but it is something that we would expect them to be part of.

NO one would be a hypocrite to become member of the Privy council if leader of a party, because quite frankly it is what is expected, as it's part of the job, and makes it easier for Government ministers to share state secrets, or matters of urgency like impending war or military action, or terrorist threats, to be shared with opposition leaders so that they have full facts of these issues.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:27 - Sep 12 with 5985 viewsSuddenLad

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:20 - Sep 12 by BigDaveMyCock

You can be a republican but accept that you are in the minority of opinion on the matter. I'm a republican but accept that far more people are not so until they are convinced otherwise I accept it.

But you're not a front-line politician who stands on his principles. You can hardly be a Republican politician and then accept a personal invitation from the Monarch, thus elevating you into the close inner circle of the very thing you despise.

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:31 - Sep 12 with 5978 viewsD_Alien

New Labour and Blairism consigned to the dust bin of history on 15:26 - Sep 12 by 1mark1

From what I know, Privy council membership although at the invitation of the queen, does not require support to her. I am sure there have been other leaders of opposition parties who in the past have been Republicans. I am not sure if it's automatic for the leader of the opposition to become Privy council member or not, but it is something that we would expect them to be part of.

NO one would be a hypocrite to become member of the Privy council if leader of a party, because quite frankly it is what is expected, as it's part of the job, and makes it easier for Government ministers to share state secrets, or matters of urgency like impending war or military action, or terrorist threats, to be shared with opposition leaders so that they have full facts of these issues.

Yes, and that's a worry.

Do I trust Corbyn to act in the best interests of his country?

Quite frankly, no.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024