Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 17:18 - Jan 23 with 31792 viewsSwansTrust

The Swans Trust have issued the second part of our 'Where do we go from here?' statement:

http://www.swanstrust.co.uk/2016/01/23/where-do-we-go-from-here-part-2/

www.swanstrust.co.uk

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 07:31 - Jan 29 with 1978 viewsDr_Winston

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 22:32 - Jan 27 by dobjack2

That seems to be a fair assessment.

As far as the first team is concerned we appear to have abandoned hungry British players from lower divisions that can challenge for the first team - they are now under 21's or squad players for the future. Naughton I thought we paid over the odds for whilst jack corks transfer fee seemed good value. However as has been pointed out, these days it's what lies under the surface and away from our eyes that really costs.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, there is clearly no such thing as a free transfer or perhaps even a cheap transfer.

We need a re-evaluation of our whole transfer policy. In the past we signed players who fitted our style, and may not have fitted the style of the club they were at. These days I'm not so sure that we know what we are looking for.

Never mind rant over, finish my cider,and maybe have another one, then it's time to go home and go to sleep.

Tomorrow is another day.

I don't much care where the players come from, but until our income rises (and probably even then) we need to source them cheap.

One of the things I desperately hope we use Guidolin for is his knowledge of the Udinese scouting system. For years they've picked up talent from all over the world for relative peanuts and used it to punch far above their weight.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 12:36 - Jan 29 with 1900 viewswhiterock

Back to Youth, thought this may be useful (we have some promising u18s too)

Josh VICKERS
Joshua SHEEHAN
Lee LUCAS
Liam SHEPHARD
Henry JONES
Stephen KINGSLEY
Botti BIABI
Daniel ALFEI
Adnan MARIC
Owain JONES
Kyle COPP
Oliver DAVIES
Alexander BRAY
Samuel EVANS
Gregor ZABRET
Kenji GORRE
Alexander GOGIC
Stephen FALLON
Tom HOLLAND
Ryan HEDGES
Daniel JAMES
Connor ROBERTS
Adam KING
Alex SAMUEL
Raheem HANLEY
Jay FULTON
Keston DAVIES
James DEMETRIOU
Lewis THOMAS
Joe RODON
Oliver McBURNIE
Ryan BLAIR
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 14:10 - Jan 29 with 1861 viewsdobjack2

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 07:31 - Jan 29 by Dr_Winston

I don't much care where the players come from, but until our income rises (and probably even then) we need to source them cheap.

One of the things I desperately hope we use Guidolin for is his knowledge of the Udinese scouting system. For years they've picked up talent from all over the world for relative peanuts and used it to punch far above their weight.

Cheap yes - but ones that suit the way we play would be just as important
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 14:44 - Jan 29 with 1832 viewsDr_Winston

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 14:10 - Jan 29 by dobjack2

Cheap yes - but ones that suit the way we play would be just as important

Very true.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 15:30 - Jan 29 with 1813 viewsNookiejack

There seems to be a trend that each Premier League club should have its own category 1 academy.

Yet there have been criticisms that the U21 League is a big gap from the Premier League and doesn't prepare players enough. This can also include academy players losing hunger because of meaty contracts at a young age.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2552070/Man-United-Chelsea-Ars

Sometimes being competitive is not following the crowd. Maybe you get an edge by being different.

Yes the academy might benefit us in 8 to 10 years - but on the other hand we could have afforded a better first team and squad during years 1 to 7 guaranteeing our PL survival.

You do need some sort of reserve team structure - even to give non playing squad members some game time and games when coming back from injury.

Joe Allen and Ben Davies came through without full 'bells and whistles' academy.

Really not sure we can afford it with regards to size of squad you need to maintain with associated contracts and coaches as well - maybe to just go along with the crowd.

Maybe it is better to put our money into young hungry players who maybe have just not made it at big clubs - like Roofe from Oxford and up and coming Football League players like Dele Alli. They are also battle hardened as well playing in professional football league outfits (good enough to knock us out of cup in Oxford's case)- rather than in an U21 league.

Also wouldn't it be better to buy academy players from the big clubs - when just finishing their academy contracts, who just haven't made it - as you would think the big clubs will be able to attract best young players in world - of better quality than our academy players.

You just get the feeling spending the academy is becoming a cash drain on the club (although maybe just until the facilities are completed so I could be too sort term in my thinking). At the end of the day the ongoing costs associated with the Academy have to deliver a return.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:10 - Jan 30 with 1701 viewsDr_Winston

A club of our size can never "guarantee PL survival". It's highly likely, maybe even inevitable that we will take the drop at some point in the future, even if that's far off.

So given that we had two options. Either spend all our income on the squad and eventually drop out of the PL with nothing to show for it but wealthy ex-players, or invest a small proportion, and it is a small proportion, in some legacy projects like training facilities.

That's no decision at all.

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:09 - Jan 30 with 1675 viewsMillie

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:10 - Jan 30 by Dr_Winston

A club of our size can never "guarantee PL survival". It's highly likely, maybe even inevitable that we will take the drop at some point in the future, even if that's far off.

So given that we had two options. Either spend all our income on the squad and eventually drop out of the PL with nothing to show for it but wealthy ex-players, or invest a small proportion, and it is a small proportion, in some legacy projects like training facilities.

Let's not forget, we couldn't train multi million pound players at Llandarcy where they would have to shower with the general public, for me, Fairwood had to be built.
Time will tell if Landore proves correct and if we start producing our own we could make 10 fold our outlay, one Luke Shaw should do it.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:17 - Jan 30 with 1672 viewsDr_Winston

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:09 - Jan 30 by Millie

Let's not forget, we couldn't train multi million pound players at Llandarcy where they would have to shower with the general public, for me, Fairwood had to be built.
Time will tell if Landore proves correct and if we start producing our own we could make 10 fold our outlay, one Luke Shaw should do it.

I think a lot of it had to do with long term expense.

By the sounds of it, doing a deal with the University over shared use of Fairwood gives us some cover with the running costs if we do drop down a division. We're not going to struggle to pay the bills if income drops. That's a smart move.

As for the RTB, maybe we could do stuff there that we couldn't do at Fairwood, and it was a hell of a lot quicker to get set up.

Login to get fewer ads

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 13:10 - Jan 30 with 1615 views3swan

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:10 - Jan 30 by Dr_Winston

Of the current Premier clubs.

Man City & Utd
Chelsea Arsenal Spurs
Everton & Liverpool

Swans Villa and Bournemouth

All the rest have had relegations (some more than once)

Add that to teams in the Championship who have been in the Premier. As you say the odds are that our time will come. We need to be a stable club and be prepared. Coming back from a solid base is easier
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 13:26 - Jan 30 with 1599 viewsPhil_S

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 13:10 - Jan 30 by 3swan

Of the current Premier clubs.

Man City & Utd
Chelsea Arsenal Spurs
Everton & Liverpool

Swans Villa and Bournemouth

All the rest have had relegations (some more than once)

Add that to teams in the Championship who have been in the Premier. As you say the odds are that our time will come. We need to be a stable club and be prepared. Coming back from a solid base is easier

Man City have been relegated from the PL
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 13:50 - Jan 30 with 1586 viewsPacemaker

Just listening to R5L talking to Pompey and Bournemouth chairman talking, Bournemouth trying to claim they are run prudently with a sugar daddy. The Pompey chairman in effect the head of their supporters trust has obviously been helped out by Bournemouth recently but how you can compare the clubs is beyond me.

Plenty of warnings from the Pompey chairman that there are plenty more clubs in the FL likely yo to the the wall.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 14:10 - Jan 30 with 1564 viewsDr_Winston

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 13:50 - Jan 30 by Pacemaker

Just listening to R5L talking to Pompey and Bournemouth chairman talking, Bournemouth trying to claim they are run prudently with a sugar daddy. The Pompey chairman in effect the head of their supporters trust has obviously been helped out by Bournemouth recently but how you can compare the clubs is beyond me.

Plenty of warnings from the Pompey chairman that there are plenty more clubs in the FL likely yo to the the wall.

It's going to take a couple of big clubs going to the wall to shake some reality into the game I reckon. All the way gone, not just administration and a points deduction.

Think supporters themselves have to take some responsibility though. Not many protest about their clubs paying exorbitant players on unsustainable wages. Saddest thing about this thread and a lot of social media lately is that even a lot of Swans fans are sinking back into the habit. We should know better than that.

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 15:08 - Jan 30 with 1546 views3swan

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 13:26 - Jan 30 by Phil_S

Man City have been relegated from the PL

Doesn't time fly.

Odds get less by the day

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:02 - Jan 31 with 1469 viewsStarsky

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:17 - Jan 30 by Dr_Winston

I think a lot of it had to do with long term expense.

By the sounds of it, doing a deal with the University over shared use of Fairwood gives us some cover with the running costs if we do drop down a division. We're not going to struggle to pay the bills if income drops. That's a smart move.

As for the RTB, maybe we could do stuff there that we couldn't do at Fairwood, and it was a hell of a lot quicker to get set up.

The Academy would ironically produce more first team players if we were relegated.
The survival journey of a player from academy to Premier league football must be similar odds to a sperm successfully fertilising an egg.

It's just the internet, init.

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:27 - Jan 31 with 1452 viewsDarran

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:02 - Jan 31 by Starsky

The Academy would ironically produce more first team players if we were relegated.
The survival journey of a player from academy to Premier league football must be similar odds to a sperm successfully fertilising an egg.

Of course it would.
We did this a couple of months ago when Skippy came up with the answer,next league game how many players brought through the youth system start for their clubs?
At the top level clubs don't have the time to do it.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2016 0:58]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:52 - Jan 31 with 1439 viewsNookiejack

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:02 - Jan 31 by Starsky

Yes great points.

In my view we definitely need to continue spend and investment in the first team squad training facilities.

Still for me a big question mark on whether a club our size can afford the cash drain of a category 1 academy. Our academy is very unlikely to produce PL quality players. Maybe much better to spend budget on proven players of PL quality level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024