Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dwight Gayle. 13:47 - Jan 26 with 24242 viewsChrisSCFC

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11731/10144514/dwight-gayle-could-leave-p

Exciting...
Dwight Gayle. on 11:48 - Jan 27 with 3692 viewslancasterswan

I've put this on here because Gayle's name is mentioned.

Amongst all the Lady Di, big freeze, biblical flood and heatwave headlines, the Express, clarion of understatement and truth, are saying this today....

"De Guzman recently had an operation on his groin but is nearing a return to fitness and is expected to sign on with Swansea until the end of the season, with the deal set to be completed later this week.

A cut-price deal to bring Scott Sinclair back to south Wales from Aston Villa is also being worked on, while Swansea are considering allowing Bafetimbi Gomis to leave for Crystal Palace in a deal that would see Dwight Gayle come the other way.

Swansea are also interested in France Under-21 international Sebastien Haller, who has scored 11 goals in 18 games for FC Utrecht this season."

So, let us suppose for a minute that this is true and it does come to pass, would people be pleased or upset we don't have bigger ambitions. My guess is that if it did happen we'd come out of the window just about all square or a bit up. That fits the boards track record financially.
Dwight Gayle. on 11:53 - Jan 27 with 3666 viewsDaggyjack

Dwight Gayle. on 11:33 - Jan 27 by waynekerr55

This

Routs and Britts but to name two

Exactly.
A British player, who is a natural goal scorer, only 26 & available at a reasonable price in todays market if £5 million is the fee.
I think many think a foreign player has to be the answer but think if the duds we've had, Schechter, Vazquez, Eder to name a few.
Even the good not great players are going to cost something out of our price range. Gabbiadini £20 million +, Defrel €11 million, Paloschi similar I'd expect.
Gayle knows the league and has everything to gain from playing in a different style from Palace. He would do well for us.
Dwight Gayle. on 12:03 - Jan 27 with 3607 viewsGriffting

Dwight Gayle. on 11:40 - Jan 27 by Devz00

Palace fans views:
http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=158004&page=1

"...if he gets the service he thrives on - balls through the middle on the ground where he can utilise his pace and skill. The Costa goal against Arsenal illustrates what he could be capable of. It will be our loss."

"He's clearly a very good finisher and just didn't fit our system"

Cherry picked those out. A few of them think he's no good though.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2016 11:40]

A lot rating him on there just doesn't fit their style of play..
I just don't think he's the striker we need.
If its between him and no one though, i'd take him all day.
Dwight Gayle. on 12:03 - Jan 27 with 3602 viewsAustinIsOurHero

This reeks of the board not having a back up plan in the event our primary targets are unavailable.
Put it this way - if you were told at the start of the season that we'd be where we are now in January & with a week left of the window, we'd be looking at Dwight Gayle to potentially save our season, how would you have responded?
#desperation

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Dwight Gayle. on 12:41 - Jan 27 with 3451 viewsJango

Dwight Gayle. on 12:03 - Jan 27 by AustinIsOurHero

This reeks of the board not having a back up plan in the event our primary targets are unavailable.
Put it this way - if you were told at the start of the season that we'd be where we are now in January & with a week left of the window, we'd be looking at Dwight Gayle to potentially save our season, how would you have responded?
#desperation

If you were to say we'd have the choice of gayle and Ayew up top or Routledge and Ayew up to save our season then I'd definitely go for Gayle. Nobody is saying that he is gonna be the only person coming in but he'd definitely add more to the squad than Routledge, Eder and Emnes
Dwight Gayle. on 12:50 - Jan 27 with 3396 viewsStarsky

Dwight Gayle. on 08:21 - Jan 27 by VetchitBack

A few points.

Like a couple of posters I don't knows much about him really or any player that doesn't play for the Swans. Not one of these football fans who plays those tedious manager games and knows the left-back of Celta Vigo.

But...

We have a rich history of getting the best out of players unfancied elsewhere.

Even now we are still pretty unique in our style which fits in with the above point.

And I simply can't have people say that Gayle is worse than a player who is so bad a false-9 is a much better attacking option.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2016 8:24]

The best post on here for days.
A lot of posters just forget how successful we've been making good footballers out of misfits.
Here's a list of players that have produced the goods consistently for this club only...
Rangel
Fabianski
Vorm
Ben Davies
ash Williams
Nathan dyer
Routledge
Sinclair
Pratley
Scotland
Trundle
Robbo
Britton
Bony
Paul Anderson
DeVries
Borini
Dobbie
Gower
Leon Knight
Cornforth
Jon Williams
Stuart Roberts
Brian Evans
Philip Holmes

And breathe

It's just the internet, init.

Dwight Gayle. on 13:19 - Jan 27 with 3294 viewskarnataka

Dwight Gayle. on 23:51 - Jan 26 by monmouth

Can't believe I'm saying this as normally I rubbish every name mentioned, but he's always looked promising when I've watched their games on the telly. Certainly not afraid to shoot.

Only niggle would be is that Murray, Chamakh, Wickham are all utter shit and they kept him out and now they've brought in a blatant mercenary pensioner in desperation rather than give him another shot. I do wonder why.

You wonder why? Maybe there's a clue here:

Chamakh 6ft1
Murray 6ft2
Whickham 6ft2 1/2
Adebayor 6ft3
Gayle 5ft9

Palace play to a big target man. Gayle isn't that player. He isn't left out because he's crap, he's left out because he doesn't fit the Palace/Pardew template which is probably the reason they are prepared to let him go.

I don't think anybody sees him as the 'solution' to our striker problem but he's pacey and busy and would be a different option off the bench if Plan A isn't working, either to replace Gomis or alongside him looking for knock downs in the box. At the moment, that's an option we don't have so I fail to see how it wouldn't improve us.

If we can get a proven striker who would start every game, brilliant, but if we can't, having another option is surely better than not having another option.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2016 13:20]
Dwight Gayle. on 13:19 - Jan 27 with 3290 viewsLoyal

Dwight Gayle. on 12:50 - Jan 27 by Starsky

A lot of posters just forget how successful we've been making good footballers out of misfits.
Here's a list of players that have produced the goods consistently for this club only...
Rangel
Fabianski
Vorm
Ben Davies
ash Williams
Nathan dyer
Routledge
Sinclair
Pratley
Scotland
Trundle
Robbo
Britton
Bony
Paul Anderson
DeVries
Borini
Dobbie
Gower
Leon Knight
Cornforth
Jon Williams
Stuart Roberts
Brian Evans
Philip Holmes

And breathe

Phil Holmes, much remembered.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

Dwight Gayle. on 13:20 - Jan 27 with 3276 viewsBorojack

Rangel
Fabianski
Vorm
Ben Davies
ash Williams
Nathan dyer
Routledge
Sinclair
Pratley
Scotland
Trundle
Robbo
Britton
Bony
Paul Anderson
DeVries
Borini
Dobbie
Gower
Leon Knight
Cornforth
Jon Williams
Stuart Roberts
Brian Evans
Philip Holmes

And breathe

Good post who is Philip Holmes though.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Dwight Gayle. on 13:21 - Jan 27 with 3267 viewsMorfa_Same

Rangel
Fabianski
Vorm
Ben Davies
ash Williams
Nathan dyer
Routledge
Sinclair
Pratley
Scotland
Trundle
Robbo
Britton
Bony
Paul Anderson
DeVries
Borini
Dobbie
Gower
Leon Knight
Cornforth
Jon Williams
Stuart Roberts
Brian Evans
Philip Holmes

And breathe

I don't see the connection with Gayle to be honest. Apart from Nathan Dyer none of those players were reserves for a club in a similar position to ourselves. Many were very successful for their previous clubs.
Dwight Gayle. on 14:16 - Jan 27 with 3139 viewsWxmJax

Albrighton of Villa was talked about on here last season and I doubt many wanted him, me included. He hasn't done too badly at Leicester.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Dwight Gayle. on 14:52 - Jan 27 with 3054 viewsZut_Alors

Would be happy to have Gayle. For me, what's essential is not spunking a load of cash on a player who doesn't work out and then not having the funds to go after a more proven striker in the summer. It's so easy just to roll over a position problem to the next window, but what's not easy is making sure you've got enough funds to spend again when prices are more competitive.

Personally, I would sign Gayle and a striker such as Bamford or even Borini on loan. If that costs us 5 million or so, then it should still leave the club with the ability to then go out and spend 10+ on another striker in the summer. Some will say that we're risking it, as we may go down, but I read today that no club has gone down with the points total we have now at this stage of the season.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2016 14:53]
Dwight Gayle. on 14:55 - Jan 27 with 3038 viewsJackSomething

Dwight Gayle. on 11:48 - Jan 27 by lancasterswan

I've put this on here because Gayle's name is mentioned.

Amongst all the Lady Di, big freeze, biblical flood and heatwave headlines, the Express, clarion of understatement and truth, are saying this today....

"De Guzman recently had an operation on his groin but is nearing a return to fitness and is expected to sign on with Swansea until the end of the season, with the deal set to be completed later this week.

A cut-price deal to bring Scott Sinclair back to south Wales from Aston Villa is also being worked on, while Swansea are considering allowing Bafetimbi Gomis to leave for Crystal Palace in a deal that would see Dwight Gayle come the other way.

Swansea are also interested in France Under-21 international Sebastien Haller, who has scored 11 goals in 18 games for FC Utrecht this season."

So, let us suppose for a minute that this is true and it does come to pass, would people be pleased or upset we don't have bigger ambitions. My guess is that if it did happen we'd come out of the window just about all square or a bit up. That fits the boards track record financially.

Not that I put any faith in the Mirror, but if we ended this transfer window having sold Shelvey and Gomis while signing JDG, Sinclair, Gayle and Haller, I'd be relatively pleased, especially if those moves make us more money than they cost us.

2 players who did well for us then failed to set the world alight elsewhere, but can certainly play our preferred passing game. A striker who has a decent goal record but may well suit us more than he does his current team and a gamble on a young talent from the Eredivisie. Wouldn't be bad at all.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Dwight Gayle. on 14:59 - Jan 27 with 3010 viewsZut_Alors

Dwight Gayle. on 14:55 - Jan 27 by JackSomething

Not that I put any faith in the Mirror, but if we ended this transfer window having sold Shelvey and Gomis while signing JDG, Sinclair, Gayle and Haller, I'd be relatively pleased, especially if those moves make us more money than they cost us.

2 players who did well for us then failed to set the world alight elsewhere, but can certainly play our preferred passing game. A striker who has a decent goal record but may well suit us more than he does his current team and a gamble on a young talent from the Eredivisie. Wouldn't be bad at all.

Yeah, to me that makes a lot of sense. What position does Haller usually play? If we're sticking with a diamond, then I definitely think we can do with an extra body in the midfield. I like Fulton, but can't imagine Cork, Britton and Fulton offering too much in the creativity department.
Dwight Gayle. on 15:05 - Jan 27 with 2987 viewsJackSomething

Dwight Gayle. on 14:59 - Jan 27 by Zut_Alors

Yeah, to me that makes a lot of sense. What position does Haller usually play? If we're sticking with a diamond, then I definitely think we can do with an extra body in the midfield. I like Fulton, but can't imagine Cork, Britton and Fulton offering too much in the creativity department.

I think he's an out-and-out striker. I would think it would be one of him or Gayle, the other on the bench, while Eder is loaned out to see if he's worth keeping next season.

As I said, I don't think this will happen, especially given our history with Utrecht, but it's giving me a warm feeling thinking about 4 new faces and our offside count decreasing dramatically...

Dwight Gayle. on 17:06 - Jan 27 with 2847 viewsmonmouth

Dwight Gayle. on 13:19 - Jan 27 by Loyal

Phil Holmes, much remembered.

Ah Phil Holme......those were the days. We had striker problems then too. I remember when I thought Peter Abbot had solved them.

I'll be glad when next Monday passes and all the shite stops to be honest. Whoever we have then we have to suck it up and get on with it. F**kers we have are paid enough anyway. Time to do their jobs.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Dwight Gayle. on 17:20 - Jan 27 with 2783 viewsAnotherJohn

Talk about underwhelming! I think Haller could come good, but if the argument is that Sinclair, Gayle and (the needs to get fit) de Guzman will make much difference in keeping us up then this leaves me scratching my head. Hope the board have a few other irons in the fire.
Dwight Gayle. on 12:10 - Jan 28 with 2572 viewsmalagajack

Swansea City offer Crystal Palace £7.5m for striker Dwight Gayle
- Deal complicated by sell-on fee due to Peterborough for Gayle
- Swansea have agreed £8m fee with Chievo for striker Alberto Paloschi
Dominic Fifield
Published: 12:56 CET Thu 28 January 2016
Follow Dominic Fifield

Dwight Gayle has made only seven Premier League appearances for Crystal Palace this season. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images
Swansea City have offered Crystal Palace an initial £7.5m for Dwight Gayle as their hunt continues for a striker. The Welsh club, four points above the relegation zone, have 22 goals from 23 Premier League matches this season.

Transfer window: Alex Teixeira, Moussa Dembélé and more — live!

Under the proposed deal, Palace would receive a further £500,000 for each season Swansea remain in the Premier League during Gayle’s time at the club, provided he plays a specified number of games each year. But the deal is complicated because a sell-on payment would be due to Peterborough United, from whom the player joined Palace for an initial £3.5m, then the London club’s transfer record, back in 2013.

Gayle has made only seven league appearances this season and his four goals have come in the Capital One Cup. The 25-year-old was sent off against West Ham in mid-October, setting back his hopes of a run in the team. He had recently been ruled out with a hamstring injury, but returned to play the first half of Monday’s under-21s fixture against Millwall at Tooting & Mitcham.

Palace accepted a bid worth up to £9m from Bristol City for Gayle last summer but the striker opted to stay, seeking to make his mark in the Premier League, and Norwich City also declared an interest on deadline day in September.

Their proposal, which had matched Palace’s valuation of the player, was rejected given the lack of time it would have offered Alan Pardew to identify and secure a replacement. Norwich have since signed Steven Naismith from Everton, though they remain in the market for another forward and could yet revive their interest in Gayle.

Swansea have agreed an £8m fee with Chievo for the striker Alberto Paloschi and the Premier League club are hopeful of agreeing personal terms with the 26-year-old, who is also wanted by Atalanta.

From the guardian
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 12:12]
Dwight Gayle. on 13:21 - Jan 28 with 2446 viewsDaggyjack

Dwight Gayle. on 17:20 - Jan 27 by AnotherJohn

Talk about underwhelming! I think Haller could come good, but if the argument is that Sinclair, Gayle and (the needs to get fit) de Guzman will make much difference in keeping us up then this leaves me scratching my head. Hope the board have a few other irons in the fire.

Why...because Gayle is British?
Paloschi & Gayle in and Gomis out = very good business.
Dwight Gayle. on 13:47 - Jan 28 with 2382 viewssomersetsimon

Dwight Gayle. on 12:10 - Jan 28 by malagajack

Swansea City offer Crystal Palace £7.5m for striker Dwight Gayle
- Deal complicated by sell-on fee due to Peterborough for Gayle
- Swansea have agreed £8m fee with Chievo for striker Alberto Paloschi
Dominic Fifield
Published: 12:56 CET Thu 28 January 2016
Follow Dominic Fifield

Dwight Gayle has made only seven Premier League appearances for Crystal Palace this season. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images
Swansea City have offered Crystal Palace an initial £7.5m for Dwight Gayle as their hunt continues for a striker. The Welsh club, four points above the relegation zone, have 22 goals from 23 Premier League matches this season.

Transfer window: Alex Teixeira, Moussa Dembélé and more — live!

Under the proposed deal, Palace would receive a further £500,000 for each season Swansea remain in the Premier League during Gayle’s time at the club, provided he plays a specified number of games each year. But the deal is complicated because a sell-on payment would be due to Peterborough United, from whom the player joined Palace for an initial £3.5m, then the London club’s transfer record, back in 2013.

Gayle has made only seven league appearances this season and his four goals have come in the Capital One Cup. The 25-year-old was sent off against West Ham in mid-October, setting back his hopes of a run in the team. He had recently been ruled out with a hamstring injury, but returned to play the first half of Monday’s under-21s fixture against Millwall at Tooting & Mitcham.

Palace accepted a bid worth up to £9m from Bristol City for Gayle last summer but the striker opted to stay, seeking to make his mark in the Premier League, and Norwich City also declared an interest on deadline day in September.

Their proposal, which had matched Palace’s valuation of the player, was rejected given the lack of time it would have offered Alan Pardew to identify and secure a replacement. Norwich have since signed Steven Naismith from Everton, though they remain in the market for another forward and could yet revive their interest in Gayle.

Swansea have agreed an £8m fee with Chievo for the striker Alberto Paloschi and the Premier League club are hopeful of agreeing personal terms with the 26-year-old, who is also wanted by Atalanta.

From the guardian
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 12:12]

Seems like a lot of detail about the contract clauses for it to be completely made up.
On that subject, who would be releasing information about the proposed contract and why would they want to do this?
Dwight Gayle. on 14:10 - Jan 28 with 2336 viewsAussieSwan

Dwight Gayle. on 13:47 - Jan 28 by somersetsimon

Seems like a lot of detail about the contract clauses for it to be completely made up.
On that subject, who would be releasing information about the proposed contract and why would they want to do this?

surely we could get him for less than 7.5 million? And paying $500,000 for every season we stay up is a big gamble... if we stay up for the next 5 years that means Gayle will effectively cost us 10 million

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Dwight Gayle. on 14:13 - Jan 28 with 2311 viewsTheKirkyLife

For me, whenever I've seen Gayle minus a silly red card incident, he's always been a threat. I cannot believe that he is behind Adebayor, Wickham AND Chit in the pecking order but when you look at the style of those other three players he clearly is a misfit.

Is £7.5 million steep? 100% in the context of Austin for £4 million. But would he be a pointless addition? Absolutely not! It's the same as Sinclair, Paloschi/Haller - what we need right now is different options more than anything. To boot, he's a striker and a decent one at that.

Welcome, Dwight I say.
Dwight Gayle. on 14:17 - Jan 28 with 2285 viewsWhiterockin

Dwight Gayle. on 14:10 - Jan 28 by AussieSwan

surely we could get him for less than 7.5 million? And paying $500,000 for every season we stay up is a big gamble... if we stay up for the next 5 years that means Gayle will effectively cost us 10 million

If we were to stay in the Premier League for the next 5 years with Gayle still with us and playing the minimum number of games required £10M is a steal.
Dwight Gayle. on 14:35 - Jan 28 with 2230 viewshobo

I bet Palace can't believe their luck!
Dwight Gayle. on 14:40 - Jan 28 with 2201 viewsJackSomething

Dwight Gayle. on 14:35 - Jan 28 by hobo

I bet Palace can't believe their luck!

Well they accepted £9m from Bournemouth last summer, but Gayle turned them down. Then Norwich also offered £9m but it was too late in window for them to sign a replacement, so they rejected it.

So £7.5m plus some clauses that may not be met is probably a bit disappointing to them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024